HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part 4: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
I think you probably could have said the same thing about Brendan Gaunce and Scott Laughton last year, right?

Laughton projected as a 2nd rounder, Gaunce as a top-15 pick. Flyers took Laughton at 20, Gaunce dropped to 26, and at least so far, it seems like a good pick.

EDIT: I'd be surprised if they went Hagg of Ristolainen or Nurse, who are still more or less consensus top-10 guys. But Zadorov and Pulock are kind of all over the place on scouting lists, so it isn't that far-fetched, IMO.

Old
05-11-2013, 10:42 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
That mock draft from McKeen's is pretty outrageous. I would be pretty pissed if they took Morin over Nichushkin and Ristolanien.
I could see them taking him over Nichushkin. I'd be pretty shocked if they took him over Ristolainen, but I could see them taking a Morin (or Haag, or Morrissey) over some of the other defenders or forwards that may be available.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:32 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

So, finally got to read The Hockey News draft preview, and my opinions on who to take has changed. Still like Risto but one player who I would 100% be fine with taking after reading what they said about him is Josh Morrissey. I know BCF is super high on him, and honestly it's probably that I didn't know enough. The article states he MIGHT not be a superstar defender but a top 4 puckmover who can play on the pp. He can skate well, read the play well and is HIGHLY competitive. His defense they stated is "reasonably well". I just didnt like the comparison to Petr Svoboda.

With the 41st pick, I'd take Ian McCoshen. Said he has the skill to be a "work-horse" defender. 20-30 minute type of player. He won't provide a lot of offense, but will be a guy you can play against other team's top defenders. I guess I am leaning towards being able to draft two defenders and playing them side-by-side. With the 2nd pick if Morin is still around I'd take him also.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
If you think Laughton is going to come here and have a Huberdeau impact I think you are going to be disappointed.

Won't get the ice time and isn't NEARLY that dynamic of a player.
Read what I said...I said Couts. Meaning I don't like the idea of having prospects who have higher end potential coming in and playing a defensive role. Let them play both roles in the OHL and excel. Let the Hall's of the world be our shutdown guys.

Last edited by Tripod: 05-11-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old
05-11-2013, 11:53 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
So, finally got to read The Hockey News draft preview, and my opinions on who to take has changed. Still like Risto but one player who I would 100% be fine with taking after reading what they said about him is Josh Morrissey. I know BCF is super high on him, and honestly it's probably that I didn't know enough. The article states he MIGHT not be a superstar defender but a top 4 puckmover who can play on the pp. He can skate well, read the play well and is HIGHLY competitive. His defense they stated is "reasonably well". I just didnt like the comparison to Petr Svoboda.

With the 41st pick, I'd take Ian McCoshen. Said he has the skill to be a "work-horse" defender. 20-30 minute type of player. He won't provide a lot of offense, but will be a guy you can play against other team's top defenders. I guess I am leaning towards being able to draft two defenders and playing them side-by-side. With the 2nd pick if Morin is still around I'd take him also.
I'd like to see them get Jacob de la Rose with the 41st pick. I think that guy is gonna be a steal if he is around in the second round.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:57 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'd like to see them get Jacob de la Rose with the 41st pick. I think that guy is gonna be a steal if he is around in the second round.
Well heres the thing about De Rose from what I read. Two way forward who's game will most likely be suited for a 3rd line crash and banger. Considered a safe player in the draft. Most likely not a top 6 player but a solid 3rd line winger. In that area I'd also look at Artturi Lehkonen. Offensive forward, great hands and reads the play well. Only knockback is he is "only" 5'11 and is average skater (not a bad skater just not flashy). Played in a mens league putting up 30 points in 45 games as a 17 yr old.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Haanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
I'm going with Robert Hagg. This video does a very good job of illustrating his skills, minor as some plays seem. His first pass looks crisp. His skating is fluid. His puckhandling is very fluid, very natural. He's not afraid to engage players physically. He has a hammer of a shot that gets on net. I think if he played in the CHL, he'd be talked about more.
I'm extremely high on Hagg as well...really like his pro potential.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:36 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Ristolainen - poor slap shot
Pulock - can be muscled off the puck, struggles defensively
Zadarov - potentially lacks legitimate offensive upside
Nurse - apparently low hockey IQ
Haag - impatient in a sense and seems to miss his positioning ques sometimes

Everyone under Jones pretty much has some kind of knock against them from what I've seen/heard.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
While Haag is a good prospect, he's a reach at 11, flat out. There will likely be better defensive prospects on the board at that position. I'd be thrilled if we were able to get Haag in the 2nd round, but I'm not picking him in the 1st round if guys like Nurse, Ristolainen, Pulock or Zadorov are there. That would be a travesty.
Zadorov played very well for London last night. Rushing the puck up ice, defending with huge reach and took a 'hitting to the head' penalty that was worth it. Stood up at the blueline and totally destroyed a guy. Clean hit, he's just too tall! He played on the PP too. The kid is going to be a star in the NHL. If he's there at 11 and they pass on him, the guy they take better be good.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
While Haag is a good prospect, he's a reach at 11, flat out. There will likely be better defensive prospects on the board at that position. I'd be thrilled if we were able to get Haag in the 2nd round, but I'm not picking him in the 1st round if guys like Nurse, Ristolainen, Pulock or Zadorov are there. That would be a travesty.
There are always going to be "reaches" (Hickey), and "steals" (S.Weber). Some pan out, some don't. Then, the rest go right about where everyone thinks they're going to go (Paajarvi). Again, some pan out, and some don't.

I think it's none too smart to base how excited we get on rankings from ISS, CSS, McKeen's, etc. when you can look at their draft guides five years from now, and piss yourself laughing.

The same thing applies to trading top-10 draft picks that aren't PPG forwards, or perennial Norris threats. The cap being what it is, and the draft working the way it does, you don't have time or options enough to be picky. You have a player? Good. Move ahead, and try to draft well throughout, so one gaffe doesn't ruin your franchise. No more of this Klotz horse-****.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Ristolainen - poor slap shot
Pulock - can be muscled off the puck, struggles defensively
Zadarov - potentially lacks legitimate offensive upside
Nurse - apparently low hockey IQ
Haag - impatient in a sense and seems to miss his positioning ques sometimes

Everyone under Jones pretty much has some kind of knock against them from what I've seen/heard.
And Jones wasn't exactly playing smart hockey at the WJC. He was just so damn skilled with the puck, people forgot about the miscues where he'd try the same failed play with the puck over and over and over again.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:32 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
so the reason finnish grads have to put time in the military is because of a war with their neighbor russia going back a long time ago. i am curious about barkov, this guy would be in an altogether crazy category having a russian father and a finnish mother. would he even be able to serve.

Military service is basically non-issue for Finnish athletes, especially hockey players.

Koivu was there for 11 days two years ago, Granlund 16 days.

Risto isn't as much of a star but wouldn't be there for more than 30 days, 40 max. of which on most you can train and like three weeks are for on-ice training purposes.

It's no Navy Seal stuff. Some of it is actually good off-ice training.

Barkov has dual-nationality so I think he can go to military but he isn't obligated to.

Old
05-11-2013, 06:04 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I don't get the Petr Svoboda comparison at all. I know some might laugh when I say this, but Morrissey compares very well to Dan Boyle. The only difference I'd say is that Morrissey is a more physical player. I really think Morrissey is going to be a big gamer when he gets to the show. He'll need to put a little weight on, but when all is said and done, you're looking at a potential top 2 guy who can run the power play and be a critical part of the penalty kill.

Quote:
I'd love to see McCoshen there at 41, but I think he's gone by then. He's climbing real fast. He had 44 points in 53 USHL games (so you know he's got an offensive game to him) and he's going to Boston College, a school with a fantastic hockey program. He'll probably spend two years there and should be able to make the jump. Big kid at 6'3, 210 pounds. He's physically mature for the pros already. Love his overall game.

Old
05-11-2013, 06:08 PM
FLYguy3911

The Morrissey train is heating up. I've been driving it since December.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:09 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
The Morrissey train is heating up. I've been driving it since December.
He had a crappy playoffs this year...might hurt his stock a bit.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:11 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
He had good U18 tournament to make up for it.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

I like Josh also But really am on the Sam Morin train now big time! at 41 I select Dillon Heartherington D this 6'3" kid is hard to play against. With our thrid pick I take hard playing RW John Hayden 6"3". With our 4th pick I grab D Jared Hauf 6'5" another pisser to play against.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:54 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Four games isn't going to trump what he did all season and at the U-18's.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I like Josh also But really am on the Sam Morin train now big time! at 41 I select Dillon Heartherington D this 6'3" kid is hard to play against. With our thrid pick I take hard playing RW John Hayden 6"3". With our 4th pick I grab D Jared Hauf 6'5" another pisser to play against.
I'm hoping Michael McCarron makes it to our 2nd pick personally but he's looking like a possible late 1st rounder now.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:59 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Four games isn't going to trump what he did all season and at the U-18's.
true enough...

Old
05-11-2013, 10:04 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I still think 11 is way to high for Morin. The guy really has no offensive skillset and his first pass is alright. Hockey Mag lists his as a two way guy but I see him as more of a shutdown defender. That's too high of a pick I think to take a pure shutdown guy. There will be quite a few of them in the late first and 2nd. They wont have his size but still I think they might have his abilities.

Also for heights, the article had Zadarov as 6'5 and Risto as 6'4.

Old
05-11-2013, 10:16 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
I still think 11 is way to high for Morin. The guy really has no offensive skillset and his first pass is alright. Hockey Mag lists his as a two way guy but I see him as more of a shutdown defender. That's too high of a pick I think to take a pure shutdown guy. There will be quite a few of them in the late first and 2nd. They wont have his size but still I think they might have his abilities.

Also for heights, the article had Zadarov as 6'5 and Risto as 6'4.

Shea Theodore also made a big leap as a high scoring D man with decent size, I think ahead of Morin, who obviously is somewhat bigger, but less likely to be as productive as the former...

Old
05-11-2013, 10:20 PM
FLYguy3911

Morin does have some good offensive tools to work with. It's just a matter of developing them.

Old
05-11-2013, 10:41 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Shea Theodore also made a big leap as a high scoring D man with decent size, I think ahead of Morin, who obviously is somewhat bigger, but less likely to be as productive as the former...
If Im not mistaken Theodore is inconsistent and the reason he is a 20s rate defender. That and his defensive game are iffy at best.

Quote:
Morin does have some good offensive tools to work with. It's just a matter of developing them.
Eh, you can most likely say that about any player in the draft. There are players though who show more instinct (like Zadarov) and have a higher chance of showing offensive abilities in the future.I just don't see Morin improving those abilities. He is SOLID on defense though and might be a reason why he is taken around the 28th pick (thats my guess where he will go). One of those solid type of defenders will most likely be a borderline 4th defender. Just with the 11th pick I'd take a guy who has a bigger upside and puckmoving abilities.

Reason Im starting to REALLY grow on Morrissey is his asset on all parts of the game. Skates well, moves the puck and and is smart. He also isn't lazy in his own end. He just reminds me of those 40-50 point defenders who can play on the pp and maybe all situations. If he improves his defense more (and the best thing is, he isnt even that bad defensively which alot of pure offensive defenders are, like Pulock for instance who has great offensive skill but on defense he does struggle abit) he could be a top 2 defender I think.

Old
05-11-2013, 10:47 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Some Morrissey highlights. Dude his like a tank.

Closed Thread