HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part 4: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2013, 10:36 AM
  #401
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,126
vCash: 500
I think you probably could have said the same thing about Brendan Gaunce and Scott Laughton last year, right?

Laughton projected as a 2nd rounder, Gaunce as a top-15 pick. Flyers took Laughton at 20, Gaunce dropped to 26, and at least so far, it seems like a good pick.

EDIT: I'd be surprised if they went Hagg of Ristolainen or Nurse, who are still more or less consensus top-10 guys. But Zadorov and Pulock are kind of all over the place on scouting lists, so it isn't that far-fetched, IMO.

Jack de la Hoya is online now  
Old
05-11-2013, 10:42 AM
  #402
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,364
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
That mock draft from McKeen's is pretty outrageous. I would be pretty pissed if they took Morin over Nichushkin and Ristolanien.
I could see them taking him over Nichushkin. I'd be pretty shocked if they took him over Ristolainen, but I could see them taking a Morin (or Haag, or Morrissey) over some of the other defenders or forwards that may be available.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now  
Old
05-11-2013, 11:32 AM
  #403
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,351
vCash: 500
So, finally got to read The Hockey News draft preview, and my opinions on who to take has changed. Still like Risto but one player who I would 100% be fine with taking after reading what they said about him is Josh Morrissey. I know BCF is super high on him, and honestly it's probably that I didn't know enough. The article states he MIGHT not be a superstar defender but a top 4 puckmover who can play on the pp. He can skate well, read the play well and is HIGHLY competitive. His defense they stated is "reasonably well". I just didnt like the comparison to Petr Svoboda.


With the 41st pick, I'd take Ian McCoshen. Said he has the skill to be a "work-horse" defender. 20-30 minute type of player. He won't provide a lot of offense, but will be a guy you can play against other team's top defenders. I guess I am leaning towards being able to draft two defenders and playing them side-by-side. With the 2nd pick if Morin is still around I'd take him also.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 11:33 AM
  #404
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
If you think Laughton is going to come here and have a Huberdeau impact I think you are going to be disappointed.

Won't get the ice time and isn't NEARLY that dynamic of a player.
Read what I said...I said Couts. Meaning I don't like the idea of having prospects who have higher end potential coming in and playing a defensive role. Let them play both roles in the OHL and excel. Let the Hall's of the world be our shutdown guys.


Last edited by Tripod: 05-11-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Tripod is online now  
Old
05-11-2013, 11:53 AM
  #405
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,364
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
So, finally got to read The Hockey News draft preview, and my opinions on who to take has changed. Still like Risto but one player who I would 100% be fine with taking after reading what they said about him is Josh Morrissey. I know BCF is super high on him, and honestly it's probably that I didn't know enough. The article states he MIGHT not be a superstar defender but a top 4 puckmover who can play on the pp. He can skate well, read the play well and is HIGHLY competitive. His defense they stated is "reasonably well". I just didnt like the comparison to Petr Svoboda.


With the 41st pick, I'd take Ian McCoshen. Said he has the skill to be a "work-horse" defender. 20-30 minute type of player. He won't provide a lot of offense, but will be a guy you can play against other team's top defenders. I guess I am leaning towards being able to draft two defenders and playing them side-by-side. With the 2nd pick if Morin is still around I'd take him also.
I'd like to see them get Jacob de la Rose with the 41st pick. I think that guy is gonna be a steal if he is around in the second round.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now  
Old
05-11-2013, 11:57 AM
  #406
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'd like to see them get Jacob de la Rose with the 41st pick. I think that guy is gonna be a steal if he is around in the second round.
Well heres the thing about De Rose from what I read. Two way forward who's game will most likely be suited for a 3rd line crash and banger. Considered a safe player in the draft. Most likely not a top 6 player but a solid 3rd line winger. In that area I'd also look at Artturi Lehkonen. Offensive forward, great hands and reads the play well. Only knockback is he is "only" 5'11 and is average skater (not a bad skater just not flashy). Played in a mens league putting up 30 points in 45 games as a 17 yr old.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 01:29 PM
  #407
Haanz
Registered User
 
Haanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
I'm going with Robert Hagg. This video does a very good job of illustrating his skills, minor as some plays seem. His first pass looks crisp. His skating is fluid. His puckhandling is very fluid, very natural. He's not afraid to engage players physically. He has a hammer of a shot that gets on net. I think if he played in the CHL, he'd be talked about more.
I'm extremely high on Hagg as well...really like his pro potential.

Haanz is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 01:36 PM
  #408
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,997
vCash: 500
Ristolainen - poor slap shot
Pulock - can be muscled off the puck, struggles defensively
Zadarov - potentially lacks legitimate offensive upside
Nurse - apparently low hockey IQ
Haag - impatient in a sense and seems to miss his positioning ques sometimes


Everyone under Jones pretty much has some kind of knock against them from what I've seen/heard.

CS is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 01:42 PM
  #409
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
While Haag is a good prospect, he's a reach at 11, flat out. There will likely be better defensive prospects on the board at that position. I'd be thrilled if we were able to get Haag in the 2nd round, but I'm not picking him in the 1st round if guys like Nurse, Ristolainen, Pulock or Zadorov are there. That would be a travesty.
Zadorov played very well for London last night. Rushing the puck up ice, defending with huge reach and took a 'hitting to the head' penalty that was worth it. Stood up at the blueline and totally destroyed a guy. Clean hit, he's just too tall! He played on the PP too. The kid is going to be a star in the NHL. If he's there at 11 and they pass on him, the guy they take better be good.

Larry44 is online now  
Old
05-11-2013, 02:21 PM
  #410
Clown Baby
Registered User
 
Clown Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
While Haag is a good prospect, he's a reach at 11, flat out. There will likely be better defensive prospects on the board at that position. I'd be thrilled if we were able to get Haag in the 2nd round, but I'm not picking him in the 1st round if guys like Nurse, Ristolainen, Pulock or Zadorov are there. That would be a travesty.
There are always going to be "reaches" (Hickey), and "steals" (S.Weber). Some pan out, some don't. Then, the rest go right about where everyone thinks they're going to go (Paajarvi). Again, some pan out, and some don't.

I think it's none too smart to base how excited we get on rankings from ISS, CSS, McKeen's, etc. when you can look at their draft guides five years from now, and piss yourself laughing.

The same thing applies to trading top-10 draft picks that aren't PPG forwards, or perennial Norris threats. The cap being what it is, and the draft working the way it does, you don't have time or options enough to be picky. You have a player? Good. Move ahead, and try to draft well throughout, so one gaffe doesn't ruin your franchise. No more of this Klotz horse-****.

Clown Baby is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 02:26 PM
  #411
Clown Baby
Registered User
 
Clown Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Ristolainen - poor slap shot
Pulock - can be muscled off the puck, struggles defensively
Zadarov - potentially lacks legitimate offensive upside
Nurse - apparently low hockey IQ
Haag - impatient in a sense and seems to miss his positioning ques sometimes


Everyone under Jones pretty much has some kind of knock against them from what I've seen/heard.
And Jones wasn't exactly playing smart hockey at the WJC. He was just so damn skilled with the puck, people forgot about the miscues where he'd try the same failed play with the puck over and over and over again.

Clown Baby is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 02:32 PM
  #412
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
so the reason finnish grads have to put time in the military is because of a war with their neighbor russia going back a long time ago. i am curious about barkov, this guy would be in an altogether crazy category having a russian father and a finnish mother. would he even be able to serve.

Military service is basically non-issue for Finnish athletes, especially hockey players.

Koivu was there for 11 days two years ago, Granlund 16 days.

Risto isn't as much of a star but wouldn't be there for more than 30 days, 40 max. of which on most you can train and like three weeks are for on-ice training purposes.

It's no Navy Seal stuff. Some of it is actually good off-ice training.

Barkov has dual-nationality so I think he can go to military but he isn't obligated to.

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 06:04 PM
  #413
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
So, finally got to read The Hockey News draft preview, and my opinions on who to take has changed. Still like Risto but one player who I would 100% be fine with taking after reading what they said about him is Josh Morrissey. I know BCF is super high on him, and honestly it's probably that I didn't know enough. The article states he MIGHT not be a superstar defender but a top 4 puckmover who can play on the pp. He can skate well, read the play well and is HIGHLY competitive. His defense they stated is "reasonably well". I just didnt like the comparison to Petr Svoboda.
I don't get the Petr Svoboda comparison at all. I know some might laugh when I say this, but Morrissey compares very well to Dan Boyle. The only difference I'd say is that Morrissey is a more physical player. I really think Morrissey is going to be a big gamer when he gets to the show. He'll need to put a little weight on, but when all is said and done, you're looking at a potential top 2 guy who can run the power play and be a critical part of the penalty kill.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
With the 41st pick, I'd take Ian McCoshen. Said he has the skill to be a "work-horse" defender. 20-30 minute type of player. He won't provide a lot of offense, but will be a guy you can play against other team's top defenders. I guess I am leaning towards being able to draft two defenders and playing them side-by-side. With the 2nd pick if Morin is still around I'd take him also.
I'd love to see McCoshen there at 41, but I think he's gone by then. He's climbing real fast. He had 44 points in 53 USHL games (so you know he's got an offensive game to him) and he's going to Boston College, a school with a fantastic hockey program. He'll probably spend two years there and should be able to make the jump. Big kid at 6'3, 210 pounds. He's physically mature for the pros already. Love his overall game.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now  
Old
05-11-2013, 06:08 PM
  #414
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,216
vCash: 500
The Morrissey train is heating up. I've been driving it since December.

FLYguy3911 is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 09:09 PM
  #415
fauxflex
Registered User
 
fauxflex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
The Morrissey train is heating up. I've been driving it since December.
He had a crappy playoffs this year...might hurt his stock a bit.

fauxflex is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 09:11 PM
  #416
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
He had a crappy playoffs this year...might hurt his stock a bit.
He had good U18 tournament to make up for it.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 09:52 PM
  #417
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
So, finally got to read The Hockey News draft preview, and my opinions on who to take has changed. Still like Risto but one player who I would 100% be fine with taking after reading what they said about him is Josh Morrissey. I know BCF is super high on him, and honestly it's probably that I didn't know enough. The article states he MIGHT not be a superstar defender but a top 4 puckmover who can play on the pp. He can skate well, read the play well and is HIGHLY competitive. His defense they stated is "reasonably well". I just didnt like the comparison to Petr Svoboda.


With the 41st pick, I'd take Ian McCoshen. Said he has the skill to be a "work-horse" defender. 20-30 minute type of player. He won't provide a lot of offense, but will be a guy you can play against other team's top defenders. I guess I am leaning towards being able to draft two defenders and playing them side-by-side. With the 2nd pick if Morin is still around I'd take him also.
I like Josh also But really am on the Sam Morin train now big time! at 41 I select Dillon Heartherington D this 6'3" kid is hard to play against. With our thrid pick I take hard playing RW John Hayden 6"3". With our 4th pick I grab D Jared Hauf 6'5" another pisser to play against.

Hockeypete49 is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 09:54 PM
  #418
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
He had a crappy playoffs this year...might hurt his stock a bit.
Four games isn't going to trump what he did all season and at the U-18's.

FLYguy3911 is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 09:58 PM
  #419
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I like Josh also But really am on the Sam Morin train now big time! at 41 I select Dillon Heartherington D this 6'3" kid is hard to play against. With our thrid pick I take hard playing RW John Hayden 6"3". With our 4th pick I grab D Jared Hauf 6'5" another pisser to play against.
I'm hoping Michael McCarron makes it to our 2nd pick personally but he's looking like a possible late 1st rounder now.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 09:59 PM
  #420
fauxflex
Registered User
 
fauxflex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Four games isn't going to trump what he did all season and at the U-18's.
true enough...

fauxflex is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 10:04 PM
  #421
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I like Josh also But really am on the Sam Morin train now big time! at 41 I select Dillon Heartherington D this 6'3" kid is hard to play against. With our thrid pick I take hard playing RW John Hayden 6"3". With our 4th pick I grab D Jared Hauf 6'5" another pisser to play against.
I still think 11 is way to high for Morin. The guy really has no offensive skillset and his first pass is alright. Hockey Mag lists his as a two way guy but I see him as more of a shutdown defender. That's too high of a pick I think to take a pure shutdown guy. There will be quite a few of them in the late first and 2nd. They wont have his size but still I think they might have his abilities.

Also for heights, the article had Zadarov as 6'5 and Risto as 6'4.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 10:16 PM
  #422
fauxflex
Registered User
 
fauxflex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I still think 11 is way to high for Morin. The guy really has no offensive skillset and his first pass is alright. Hockey Mag lists his as a two way guy but I see him as more of a shutdown defender. That's too high of a pick I think to take a pure shutdown guy. There will be quite a few of them in the late first and 2nd. They wont have his size but still I think they might have his abilities.

Also for heights, the article had Zadarov as 6'5 and Risto as 6'4.


Shea Theodore also made a big leap as a high scoring D man with decent size, I think ahead of Morin, who obviously is somewhat bigger, but less likely to be as productive as the former...

fauxflex is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 10:20 PM
  #423
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,216
vCash: 500
Morin does have some good offensive tools to work with. It's just a matter of developing them.

FLYguy3911 is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 10:41 PM
  #424
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
Shea Theodore also made a big leap as a high scoring D man with decent size, I think ahead of Morin, who obviously is somewhat bigger, but less likely to be as productive as the former...
If Im not mistaken Theodore is inconsistent and the reason he is a 20s rate defender. That and his defensive game are iffy at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Morin does have some good offensive tools to work with. It's just a matter of developing them.
Eh, you can most likely say that about any player in the draft. There are players though who show more instinct (like Zadarov) and have a higher chance of showing offensive abilities in the future.I just don't see Morin improving those abilities. He is SOLID on defense though and might be a reason why he is taken around the 28th pick (thats my guess where he will go). One of those solid type of defenders will most likely be a borderline 4th defender. Just with the 11th pick I'd take a guy who has a bigger upside and puckmoving abilities.

Reason Im starting to REALLY grow on Morrissey is his asset on all parts of the game. Skates well, moves the puck and and is smart. He also isn't lazy in his own end. He just reminds me of those 40-50 point defenders who can play on the pp and maybe all situations. If he improves his defense more (and the best thing is, he isnt even that bad defensively which alot of pure offensive defenders are, like Pulock for instance who has great offensive skill but on defense he does struggle abit) he could be a top 2 defender I think.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 10:47 PM
  #425
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,351
vCash: 500
Some Morrissey highlights. Dude his like a tank.


sa cyred is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.