HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2013, 04:54 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

vCash: 500
Quote from Price today (creds to Arpon Basu)

"I believe I can win a Stanley Cup. I think I have the ability and mentality to do that. To do that, I need to reach another level."

"That’s one thing I miss, just being anonymous. It’s tough to do that here. I don’t even go to the grocery store anymore. I hardly do anything anymore. I’m like a hobbit in a hole."

"You’re going to be the goat and you have to learn to accept it. When you’re the hero, you have to learn to deal with that, too."

“Mentally, definitely it’s tough. I’d be lying to you if I said it’s an easy thing to go through. It’s not. But it’s just the nature of the position and it’s something you just have to accept.”

Old
05-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH≤ View Post
He should have let Budaj play then. We lost all the games anyway and we didn't need to win.
I don't want a player who doesn't want to play. Its the coaches job to make that call.

Old
05-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that, imo.

$6.5 million over the next 5 years will be impossible to move if Price's play continues to spiral. We better pray he gets it together fast.
There will always be a buyer for Price, just like there was for Theodore and his huge contract.

Hopefully it never comes to that, but if his time is done in Montreal I bet there are at least 10 GM's willing to take a chance on him. No risk of a Scott Gomez situation, although the return if we are forced to trade him would obviously be poor.

Old
05-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post

"I believe I can win a Stanley Cup. I think I have the ability and mentality to do that. To do that, I need to reach another level."

"Thatís one thing I miss, just being anonymous. Itís tough to do that here. I donít even go to the grocery store anymore. I hardly do anything anymore. Iím like a hobbit in a hole."

"Youíre going to be the goat and you have to learn to accept it. When youíre the hero, you have to learn to deal with that, too."

ďMentally, definitely itís tough. Iíd be lying to you if I said itís an easy thing to go through. Itís not. But itís just the nature of the position and itís something you just have to accept.Ē

Seems philosophical about his failures and might be ready to move on to something new. This is an opportunity for management to either rally around Price or move him on to something more anonymous.

I think Carey is a thoughtful introspective guy. I think he wants to succeed but I don't think he has a tiger inside of him.

Having said that I wish I had half the drive inside me that would take me to the success he has risen to.

Old
05-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Habiton

Quote:

$6.5 million over the next 5 years will be impossible to move if Price's play continues to spiral. We better pray he gets it together fast.
I sincerly hope you are joking. Did you not watch what happened when Budaj played?

What a joke, beef up the defense and stop the 3-2's and 2-1s that seem to happen every other shift and his GAA will go from 3 to 1. There is no other goalie in the league I, or many experts for that matter, would rather have now and for the long term.

Old
05-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Habiton

Quote:

"Thatís one thing I miss, just being anonymous. Itís tough to do that here. I donít even go to the grocery store anymore. I hardly do anything anymore. Iím like a hobbit in a hole."

"Youíre going to be the goat and you have to learn to accept it. When youíre the hero, you have to learn to deal with that, too."

ďMentally, definitely itís tough. Iíd be lying to you if I said itís an easy thing to go through. Itís not. But itís just the nature of the position and itís something you just have to accept.Ē
If it doesnt dawn on the fans now that he needs us to treat him with respect and cheer him on then it never will.

How can anyone let it get that far and keep booing the guy, he gives it 100% every game. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt but its not like he lets in goals on purpose. Leave the guy alone and let him play his game, this is what makes having a huge fanbase undesirable. Casual fans that listen to the radio and regurgitate their words, get your heads out of you a** and treat our players with respect, they arent TRYING to lose. How would you feel if you were having a down week at work and everyone was ignoring you and making fun of you? Not good I would imagine.

Its a shock that he even resigned here, poor guy.

Old
05-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Dean Ambrose
I AM A MERCENARY

vCash: 133
There isn't any other goaltender in the league I'd want other than Carey Price, now and long term.

Carey is not a problem one bit.

Old
05-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chael Sonnen View Post
There isn't any other goaltender in the league I'd want other than Carey Price, now and long term.

Yeah because he can take us to the promise land??? I would take many more than him at this moment.

Old
05-11-2013, 07:12 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
If it doesnt dawn on the fans now that he needs us to treat him with respect and cheer him on then it never will.

How can anyone let it get that far and keep booing the guy, he gives it 100% every game. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt but its not like he lets in goals on purpose. Leave the guy alone and let him play his game, this is what makes having a huge fanbase undesirable. Casual fans that listen to the radio and regurgitate their words, get your heads out of you a** and treat our players with respect, they arent TRYING to lose. How would you feel if you were having a down week at work and everyone was ignoring you and making fun of you? Not good I would imagine.

Its a shock that he even resigned here, poor guy.
I definitely agree with this. Booing a player is something I would never EVER do. Yes, sometimes I go on keyboard warrior rants about certain players but that's as far as I'd ever go. They, like us, are humans with feelings. I hate when people think they should suck it up because they're rich and famous. That's ****ing ********. Money doesn't cure confidence/self-esteem issues. Price knows he needs to be better and I think showing him that we have his back will make this situation much easier for him to work through. Our job as fans is to encourage our players, not break them down.

Old
05-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
I definitely agree with this. Booing a player is something I would never EVER do. Yes, sometimes I go on keyboard warrior rants about certain players but that's as far as I'd ever go. They, like us, are humans with feelings. I hate when people think they should suck it up because they're rich and famous. That's ****ing ********. Money doesn't cure confidence/self-esteem issues. Price knows he needs to be better and I think showing him that we have his back will make this situation much easier for him to work through. Our job as fans is to encourage our players, not break them down.
Showing him we have his back? How about he shows his team that he has their back? Something he still hasn't done. Always an excuse, excuses...sick of it. Play tough or go somewhere else. The potential excuse is no longer one to use...either play or ****.

Old
05-11-2013, 07:25 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Showing him we have his back? How about he shows his team that he has their back? Something he still hasn't done. Always an excuse, excuses...sick of it. Play tough or go somewhere else. The potential excuse is no longer one to use...either play or ****.
What about when he has his players back and the decide to take the night off? Still something his teammates do far to many times to even count.

You know letting multiple odd man rushes a game...really shows a lack of team support.

I still don't understand to this day why goaltenders are always the 1st players to get *****ed at.

How about looking over WTF happened prior to the goal to see where the melt down happened.

Old
05-11-2013, 07:25 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Quote:
That's something HE needs to work on. He knows he has to play better... He knows he needs to elevate his game. He's not stupid and he's definitely not doing this on purpose. Now instead of ******** on him why don't we just try to encourage him instead? Having the whole city of Montreal criticize his every move won't help the situation one bit. Stop acting so damned selfish and entitled and put yourself in his shoes for a second.

Old
05-11-2013, 07:26 PM
ReppingMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chael Sonnen View Post

Agreed, building a team, I am ecstatic that we have a quality netminder that carry the load for the next 10+ years.

With Price, Subban, Galchy and Gally, I am confident we are going to win the cup one day

Old
05-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Dean Ambrose
I AM A MERCENARY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Yeah because he can take us to the promise land??? I would take many more than him at this moment.
You're in the extreme minority on that one. Ask any GM in the league, any scout, hell, any fanbase here, they would jump at the chance to have a goaltender like Price for 10+ years.

I never thought I was a bad person. I just thought I was the one good person living in a world of bad people.
Old
05-11-2013, 07:35 PM
ReppingMTL

Quote:
LOL, I guess we should give away the goalie who is most likely to start in Sochi next year.

Old
05-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
.... Keep acting like a little sheep, following that premade opinion of all that anti-hab bias.

Old
05-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

It is as simple as that. Carey Price is not Scott Gomez. If he plays poorly teams will still take a chance on him. Montreal is an absolutely crazy place for a goalie to be and they'll figure a change of scenery is all he needs.

We can move him with no problem at all. I just hope we're not that stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
He's too big of an investment to be moved at the moment, but his disappointing play has been around a lot longer then a couple of weeks LG.
No, he's been great for a couple of years now. A few bad weeks is about it man.

And be careful what you wish for because Montreal's goaltender is the hardest position to play in sports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH≤ View Post
He should have let Budaj play then. We lost all the games anyway and we didn't need to win.
Yes, we should've. And Paccioretty should've sat in the playoffs too. Made no sense to throw him out there.

Old
05-11-2013, 08:21 PM
habster

People needs to take a chill pill. The dude is 25, young for goaltenders age. Probably people takes for granted because he has played so many games and showed immense potential and had early success when he entered the league.
Management invested heavily on him. If you want to protect your investement, try helping him out but getting size and toughness on D.

Old
05-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Lafleurs Guy

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=670291

BROSSARD, Quebec -- Another Montreal Canadiens offseason has begun with question marks surrounding goaltender Carey Price, something that seemingly has become a harbinger of spring in the city he calls home for eight months of the year.

Price was resoundingly outplayed by Ottawa Senators counterpart Craig Anderson in a five-game loss in the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals. Anderson had a save percentage of .950 in five games; Price's was .894 in four games before a second-degree sprain of the MCL in his left knee forced him to miss Game 5 of the series.

Canadiens fans questioning their goaltender is far from a novelty, with Hall of Fame goalies Ken Dryden and Patrick Roy having generated similar doubts from the public.

But the scrutiny Price is under seems like it's at another level, perhaps because the advent of social media makes it so much easier for fans to voice their opinions. Ever since Canadiens management chose to keep Price and trade Jaroslav Halak to the St. Louis Blues just after he had led them to the 2010 Eastern Conference Finals, everything Price has done has been a source of potential criticism.

Saturday, as the Canadiens held their exit interviews and physicals, Price admitted it's an aspect of his job he's still growing accustomed to.

"When you're winning here there's no better place to play," Price said. "But when you're not playing well here it's definitely tough. But it's the only thing I know; I went straight out of junior to here. It's the only type of atmosphere I know. I've learned to accept it."

There are certain ways that being so heavily scrutinized can affect a professional athlete's life. Price, for instance, admitted he goes to great lengths to avoid getting unsolicited advice on a daily basis.

"That's one thing I miss, just being anonymous," he said. "It's tough to do that here."

Price was then asked if it was indeed tough, or impossible. He didn't hesitate to answer.

"It's impossible," he said. "I don't even go to the grocery store anymore. I hardly do anything anymore. I'm like a hobbit in a hole. I just don't do anything anymore."

It does take a special personality to do the job Price has signed on for, to the tune of five more years at a salary-cap hit of $6.5 million per season, making him the highest-paid player on the Canadiens, adding another level of scrutiny.

But in spite of his difficulties in handling the particularity of his work, Price recognizes that if he excels at his job, life can become a lot more comfortable in Montreal.

"It's just the way it works," Price said. "You're going to be the goat and you have to learn to accept it. When you're the hero, you're going to have to learn to deal with that too. It's easy to let your pride swing, it's easy to think you're terrible and it's easy to think you're great here. It's just something you have to manage mentally."

He said he has sought out help in that department, speaking to two of the greatest goaltenders to suit up for the Canadiens in the past 40 years.

"I talked to previous goalies, I talked with Patrick and Ken Dryden," Price said. "But I was just so awestruck that I didn't really think about what I wanted to ask them. I was too nervous. But they all know what it's like to go through this and they're very supportive. I had a long talk with Ken Dryden just about life. It's pretty cool to be able to talk with somebody you've idolized your whole life."

Price's play was not an issue for a good portion of this season. But when he and the team hit a slump after clinching a Stanley Cup Playoff berth April 11, Price's game became a focal point of discussion.

It was somewhat unfair because the team's defensive play suffered greatly when defenseman Alexei Emelin was lost for the season April 6 with a knee injury, but Price's play was far better at the beginning of the season than it was at the end.

He appeared ready to accept some degree of responsibility for the playoff loss, but Price remains convinced he will be able to continue improving.

"We haven't won, and I honestly believe I can win a Stanley Cup," Price said. "I think I have the ability and the mentality to do that. In order to do that I need to reach another level. I'm going to need to figure out what I need to do to get to that level."

Price has always had the support of his teammates and the organization, and people from around the hockey world usually use glowing terms to describe his play. When general manager Marc Bergevin was hired last year from the Chicago Blackhawks, he mentioned he didn't know much about the Canadiens roster, but one thing he did know was that he had a good goalie.

"Carey's the anchor of this team," forward Max Pacioretty said. "We can't do anything about the fact we played against a team with probably the hottest goalie in the League the way [Anderson's] played this year. It's comparing apples to oranges. He's their best player and [Price] is our best player.

"Everyone in this room believes in Carey. He's done a great job, not just this series but his whole career. He's had to deal with a lot of pressure and face a lot of different adversity, and he's always stepped up to the challenge. He cares a lot about his game and he cares a lot about this team. Everyone has confidence he's going to keep improving."

Price, after all, is 25 years old. He's not exactly young, but for a goaltender, there is some development left for him to do. Many goaltenders don't hit their prime until they are 27 or 28, and very few netminders have been able to accomplish what Price has done at his age.

Then again, with everything he has gone through in his six NHL seasons -- the extreme highs and lows, with practically nothing in between -- Price can admit even he can sometimes forget how young he is.

"I feel older than that, to be honest," Price said with a smile. "I won't say how old, but I feel older."

Being the starting goaltender for the Montreal Canadiens tends to have that effect on people.

Old
05-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Genesis76

vCash: 50
Quote:
Scott Gomez has been aware for some time. Didn't change a thing.

2 games played in the series, 2 mins of pen, 2 shots.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Habiton

Quote:
That's something HE needs to work on. He knows he has to play better... He knows he needs to elevate his game. He's not stupid and he's definitely not doing this on purpose. Now instead of ******** on him why don't we just try to encourage him instead? Having the whole city of Montreal criticize his every move won't help the situation one bit. Stop acting so damned selfish and entitled and put yourself in his shoes for a second.
It's nice to know that some fans have their heads screwed on right.

Everyone is accountable and price didn't have an all star season but even with an injury he still kept this team in every game which is all you can ask for. Will he be better? Yes, does he need to be? Yes but please don't tell me he isn't in the top of the NHL in terms of goaltenders. Thats a joke. Players need support when they are doing bad, they don't need additional hate. I was more upset when this team was getting booed in our own building during our mini slump then when we got bounced from the playoffs. I expected us to lose based on our injuries and luck but I cannot believe how brutal our own fans are. How can you realistically think we will attract any top talent in the fans want and gloat about the ability to run players out of town. Do they deserve criticism? Fine, but they are professionals who know a heck of a lot more about the sport than we do so trust me they arent 10 year Olds who legitimately don't know what's happening. If they screw up they know and they will fix it. If you start booing them they will lose confidence and might even start disliking the fans. How that is something to be proud of I really don't know.

My question is why did the coaching staff (knowing prices injury just needs time to get better) continue to play him after clinching a playoff spot?

Old
05-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Definitely a Carey Price Wheel of Excuses pic coming in the future.

Old
05-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Habiton

Quote:
Definitely a Carey Price Wheel of Excuses pic coming in the future.
There should also be a defense wheel of excuses, with every one saying Carey Price.

How is it fair that he is blamed for the ridiculous number defensive breakdowns this team had?

Old
05-11-2013, 10:06 PM
ReppingMTL

Wanna know the funny thing, go read the Olympic Canada team prediction for goalies and pretty much every predicted roster by any fan has Carey either starting or backing up Luongo.

Wanna know what's even funnier, the rosters that don't have Price are mostly Habs fans or Leafs fans that have Reimer there instead

Old
05-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Slim Cognito*

Are we really surprised by this at all? Price complains about the fans every season after the team is eliminated. It is like a Soap Opera, and quite comical.

Sommes-nous vraiment ťtonnťs par ceci du tout ? Price se plaint au sujet des fans chaque saison aprŤs qu'on ťlimine l'ťquipe. Il est comme un Feuilleton, et tout ŗ fait comique.

Closed Thread