HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part 17: What does "bold" mean?

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2013, 06:57 PM
stoff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
He becomes a UFA on July 1st.
July 5 this year is it not? Either way your right they can still trade his rights similar to timonen and Hartnell and a few others.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Hemsky4PM

It's really too bad we traded Penner instead of Hemsky 2 years ago. Much rather have Penner (if they extended him).

I digress.

Vanek is redundant on this team. We have Taylor Hall and Nail Yakupov, elite first line wingers. We need a solid 2nd line LW who will provide some grit and scoring.

St. Louis may actually be in the mood to trade Berglund, for the right return. He is a big body and simply couldn't score for them in the playoffs. He's still gritty and would only need to be a 20-25-45 pts player for the Oilers.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:38 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Myers is a 23-year-old defenseman signed to a decent cap hit long term. There's little doubt that he will rebound imo; he has massive upside. Long-term I think he is a perfect deal to make, and I'd nab him if it is in any way possible. I sincerely doubt he is available, but he's precisely the kind of player needed for the team to move forward. He has a wrist injury; it's not like a back injury or something else potentially risky. The guy's play has fallen off offensively some (and that's the only possible reason he might be available), but he is 23 and quite legitimately having the potential of a Pronger or Chara type. He is a huge minute eater, who is crazy difficult to play against, young and highly skilled. I don't see the downside or real risk here. If he's available, you get him without hesitation, and you wait for him to figure his game out again and dominate in the league for years to come. The guy is simply a gem. All young defenseman struggle at times.

You don't see the downside? He was playing like crap before he suffered a major injury. Now he has to recover from the said injury, rehab it, get back up to strength just so he can start from being crap again while we hope he becomes to star he is meant to be. You want to take on 5.5 cap hit on that? Absolutely asinine. We need a functional Dman NOW not bet on his health. We did that with Whitney.

This also isn't a case of "struggling at times", it is a case of struggling for awhile and that was before the injury; which will probably exasperated whatever issues he had before hand.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:52 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
You don't see the downside? He was playing like crap before he suffered a major injury. Now he has to recover from the said injury, rehab it, get back up to strength just so he can start from being crap again while we hope he becomes to star he is meant to be. You want to take on 5.5 cap hit on that? Absolutely asinine. We need a functional Dman NOW not bet on his health. We did that with Whitney.

This also isn't a case of "struggling at times", it is a case of struggling for awhile and that was before the injury; which will probably exasperated whatever issues he had before hand.
Perfectly said. I hope this ends the Myers talk.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Lewy

I would be very hard pressed to be upset with the oil if they traded for myers. He will be a stud.

Old
05-11-2013, 10:57 PM
armandh01

I had a weird dream the other night.

traded Dubnyk, 7th OA and MPS to Van for Edler and Luongo
bought out Horcoff and Belanger
traded Hemsky (1.5m retained), NSchultz (500k retained) for Goc and there 2nd (shrugs)
traded Gagner and Harti for Berglund (don't ask)
acquired MacArthur, Orr, Torres and Stalberg

We were rolling:

Hall - Berg - Ebs
MacA - RNH - Yak
Torres - Goc - Stalberg
Smyth - Lander - Orr
Brown

Edler - Petry
Smid - JSchultz
Klefbom - Potter

Luongo

Couldn't decide if it was a good or bad dream.

Old
05-12-2013, 12:58 AM
stoff

Quote:
I had a weird dream the other night.

traded Dubnyk, 7th OA and MPS to Van for Edler and Luongo
bought out Horcoff and Belanger
traded Hemsky (1.5m retained), NSchultz (500k retained) for Goc and there 2nd (shrugs)
traded Gagner and Harti for Berglund (don't ask)
acquired MacArthur, Orr, Torres and Stalberg

We were rolling:

Hall - Berg - Ebs
MacA - RNH - Yak
Torres - Goc - Stalberg
Smyth - Lander - Orr
Brown

Edler - Petry
Smid - JSchultz
Klefbom - Potter

Luongo

Couldn't decide if it was a good or bad dream.
Mediocre dream. Too stretched out everywhere still.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:00 AM
moneygoalie31

To Boston Hemsky, Prv and 7th to Edm Lucic
To Philly Gagner, Eberle and Petry to Edm B,Schenn,L.Schenn and Simmonds
To Buffalo Dubnyk, Hartikenen, N.Shultz and Edm 2nd 2014 to Edm Miller, Foligno and L.Adam
To Pheonix Belanger and Omark to Edm rights to B Gordon( signs a 3 year deal x 1.9 mill)
To Montreal Eager,Marincin to Edm Emelin
Sign M.Striet 3 years x 4 mill
Sign M Komiserek 1 year 1 mill ( after T.O buys him out)
Sign R. Torres 2 year x 1.6
Sign V Stallberg 3 years x 2.9
Sign T. Griess 2 years x 1.1
Buy out Horcoff and Smyth

That would be bold enough I think

Hall Nuge Yak
Lucic Schenn Simmonds
Foligno Adam Stallberg
Brown Gordon Torres
Lander

Striet Schenn
Smid Schultz
Emelin Komiserek
Klefbom Potter

Miller
Griess

Didnt figure out the cap numbers but I think the team would be bad ass

Old
05-12-2013, 01:29 AM
haterbehatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneygoalie31 View Post
To Boston Hemsky, Prv and 7th to Edm Lucic
To Philly Gagner, Eberle and Petry to Edm B,Schenn,L.Schenn and Simmonds
To Buffalo Dubnyk, Hartikenen, N.Shultz and Edm 2nd 2014 to Edm Miller, Foligno and L.Adam
To Pheonix Belanger and Omark to Edm rights to B Gordon( signs a 3 year deal x 1.9 mill)
To Montreal Eager,Marincin to Edm Emelin
Sign M.Striet 3 years x 4 mill
Sign M Komiserek 1 year 1 mill ( after T.O buys him out)
Sign R. Torres 2 year x 1.6
Sign V Stallberg 3 years x 2.9
Sign T. Griess 2 years x 1.1
Buy out Horcoff and Smyth

That would be bold enough I think

Hall Nuge Yak
Lucic Schenn Simmonds
Foligno Adam Stallberg
Brown Gordon Torres
Lander

Striet Schenn
Smid Schultz
Emelin Komiserek
Klefbom Potter

Miller
Griess

Didnt figure out the cap numbers but I think the team would be bad ass

Dear God no.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:54 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Mediocre dream. Too stretched out everywhere still.
Not to mention a very specific dream. I'll have what he's smoking. Wish I had dreams that lucid.

Old
05-12-2013, 06:07 AM
richardsequalscup*

Del Zotto for Gagne and your first. I figure Oilers fans have been patient enough with the rebuild. Gagne will not get 20 minutes a night on the Rangers. He will fill the third line center position as Richards will be bought out. Rangers will either draft a goalie or defenseman with that pick and will wait 4 years while they develop that player. Del Zotto is often unfairly made the whipping boy for Rangers fans because the forwards are incompetent and can't score. So when a defenseman makes one mistake a game, they go crazy on him.

Old
05-12-2013, 06:46 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
July 5 this year is it not? Either way your right they can still trade his rights similar to timonen and Hartnell and a few others.
Yes July 5th. Instinct took over!

Old
05-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by setkreiderfree View Post
Del Zotto for Gagne and your first. I figure Oilers fans have been patient enough with the rebuild. Gagne will not get 20 minutes a night on the Rangers. He will fill the third line center position as Richards will be bought out. Rangers will either draft a goalie or defenseman with that pick and will wait 4 years while they develop that player. Del Zotto is often unfairly made the whipping boy for Rangers fans because the forwards are incompetent and can't score. So when a defenseman makes one mistake a game, they go crazy on him.
Not saying its a bad trade, but it leaves the Oil with 2 holes instead of one (and a GAPING hole at C until Nuge is ready to play), and if Rangers fans are going crazy on him, he won't last long in Edmonton.

Old
05-12-2013, 08:57 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
I would hope a Gagner + 7th overall would garner a much better return than MDZ. I think Gagner straight up for MDZ is a pretty fair deal tbh, never mind throwing in the 7th.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:29 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

one question for the guy who obviously was heavily intoxicated when he suggested we sign Mike Komiserak.

Komiserak the leafs buying him out should tell you how bad he is. Of all the ideas tossed around on this board--that has to be one of the worst. He is so bad when the leafs assigned him to the farm, he was a healthy scratch

komiserak has been beaten so bad over the past few years that Amnesty international has him on their protection list

Old
05-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
This is correct. McDonagh is untouchable for this team. He makes Del Zotto, another top young D-man expandable.
Do you mean like stretch-armstrong expandable or like an extension pole expandable?

Quote:

Exactly, and like I've said before, if Myers was a player from our own system and he was given that contract the fan base would be calling for the GM's head and Myers would be the player everyone wanted shipped out of town, but there are still people here suggesting that we should give up assets to put the Oil in that situation with that contract.

Asinine is the perfect word for that line of thinking.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
So if Clutterbuck is put on the market this offseason (speculation from Wild fans is that they won't be able to afford him), would we be interested?

Considering they are leaving our division, I'd assume we'd get a fair shot at getting him.

05-12-2013, 10:11 AM
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So if Clutterbuck is put on the market this offseason (speculation from Wild fans is that they won't be able to afford him), would we be interested?

Considering they are leaving our division, I'd assume we'd get a fair shot at getting him.
yes, clutterbuck is a great bottom 6 player...

Halak not getting along with Hitchcock, would be great to pair him with Dubnyk:

Reports out of St. Louis say that Jaroslav Halak and coach Ken Hitchcock had a heated argument on the morning of Game 4.
Halak was quite perturbed that he did not play in the regular season finale as he was healthy enough to, but Hitchcock used Brian Elliott as fourth place was still on the line. The Blues won 3-1 but Halak still felt he should have played. The blowup before Game 4 was caused by Halak being late for a team meeting and things apparently got out of hand quickly. Halak still has a year left on his contract but it remains to be seen if he will spend it in St. Louis with Hitchcock at the helm.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:19 AM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
yes, clutterbuck is a great bottom 6 player...

Halak not getting along with Hitchcock, would be great to pair him with Dubnyk:

Reports out of St. Louis say that Jaroslav Halak and coach Ken Hitchcock had a heated argument on the morning of Game 4.
Halak was quite perturbed that he did not play in the regular season finale as he was healthy enough to, but Hitchcock used Brian Elliott as fourth place was still on the line. The Blues won 3-1 but Halak still felt he should have played. The blowup before Game 4 was caused by Halak being late for a team meeting and things apparently got out of hand quickly. Halak still has a year left on his contract but it remains to be seen if he will spend it in St. Louis with Hitchcock at the helm.
And the goalie market used to be weak. All of a sudden lots of teams need goalies and lots of goalies are available.

Halak is someone I wouldn't mind pairing up with dubnyk but I think it's more a luxury than a necessity as it woul probably cost too much to be worth it. I don't want to give up something with decent value for a 40 game goalie with 1 yr left.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
As much as it tempts me to try get Halak, we have far more pressing issues than using assets to shore up the one position we've got adequate production for this season.

Dubnyk will give you good enough goaltending to win, the rest of the team has too many holes (thanks Lowe) to spend assets on goaltending.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:54 AM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
As much as it tempts me to try get Halak, we have far more pressing issues than using assets to shore up the one position we've got adequate production for this season.
Considering the upcoming goalie market, including the motivated sellers in the trade world, I suspect the assets required to acquire Halak will be negligible ( I think he goes to Calgary though).

Old
05-12-2013, 11:43 AM
N5991989
Sad Oilers Fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Considering the upcoming goalie market, including the motivated sellers in the trade world, I suspect the assets required to acquire Halak will be negligible ( I think he goes to Calgary though).
Calgary has the two best goalies outside the NHL lined up for next year.

Old
05-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Burger Baron

vCash: 300
7th Pick + N.Schultz for MDZ + B.Boyle

Old
05-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Baron View Post
7th Pick + N.Schultz for MDZ + B.Boyle
That's TERRIBLE

Old
05-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Hockey Buddha
Joensuu

Quote:

Even a disastrous season for Tyler Myers still had him playing the second most minutes (averaging 21:19 TOI/game) of anyone on the Sabres team before breaking his leg. His "poor play" was mostly his failure to produce points, something that makes him lethal. All young NHL defenseman have periods of struggle, and he will bounce back.

Whitney's injury was a lot more permanently debilitating than Myer's broken leg. With Ryan Whitney, they had to re-attach a tendon in his right ankle, a tendon that essentially looked like Swiss cheese. Tyler Myers isn't much of a gamble imo; his upside is elite among NHL defenders.

Closed Thread