HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Karlsson ever be the same?

Old
05-10-2013, 09:49 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieDingle View Post
His minutes were reduced before the blowout. They were showing the stat in the 1st intermission, behind a few Habs players and someone on the Sens. Even though until this game he was 3rd in ice-time out of everybody in the playoffs.

I think MacLean decided to lay off because he didn't want a Karlsson turnover. That's the only thing I'm concerned about. The 1st passes and shots from the point that bounce off and cause breakaways and 2 on 1's.

I have no doubt his decision making will come back but he didn't look good in this series and you'd like to have him at his best against the Penguins. He's fighting it.
MacLean probably said, we are going to rest you today and hopefully the boys can win it. It is not just about his leg, he hasn't built the endurance that the other players have playing the entire season. He went back to preseason stamina + just having had healed an injury.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:02 PM
salomonster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Why didn't you make this thread back in Karlsson's return game where he was the best player on the ice playing 27+ and playing primary role in both goals scored in the game.

Yes, he will be the same. He's just inconsistent cause of lack of conditioning and not fully healed yet.
End of thread

salomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:04 PM
EddieDingle

I'm actually not worried about Karlsson from the standpoint of the injury. He's just fighting it right now. On the backcheck, breaking up odd man rushes, he's looked pretty good. It's when he has the puck on his stick for a second or two and has to make a snap decision that he's looked bad, i.e., the first pass/shot from the point situations.

IMO the hype has kinda gone to his head, and he's been out of action so long that he's over-thinking everything as a result. I'd kinda like for him to be more humble, but I'm not the reigning Norris Trophy winner.

EddieDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Daffy

Quote:
I'm actually not worried about Karlsson from the standpoint of the injury. He's just fighting it right now. On the backcheck, breaking up odd man rushes, he's looked pretty good. It's when he has the puck on his stick for a second or two and has to make a snap decision that he's looked bad, i.e., the first pass/shot from the point situations.

IMO the hype has kinda gone to his head, and he's been out of action so long that he's over-thinking everything as a result. I'd kinda like for him to be more humble, but I'm not the reigning Norris Trophy winner.
Lmao! You're not going to find a more humble kid than Erik Karlsson.

Go home, you're drunk.

Daffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:41 PM
HavlatMach9
streamable 3rah1

How many goals did the other team score when Karlsson was on? It wouldn't surprise me if Karlsson was abusing the fact that we have Anderson. He knows he can get away with anything, so why not get away with anything even if you look bad?

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:12 AM
EddieDingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
Lmao! You're not going to find a more humble kid than Erik Karlsson.
I'm not sure that's true. I don't think he walks around thinking he's the ****, but I do think he's trying to live up to the hype. I mean, his tweet after game two. Turnovers happen. Not going to change. That was a VERY avoidable turnover and I don't think MacLean would appreciate his defending it as just a part of his game.

When I say he needs to be more humble I mean in terms of instruction. Playing it safe. Re-learning when to pinch/pass, etc. I don't think he's an arrogant guy, but I think he believes in himself a lot and right now he could use some instruction. I can imagine it's hard to coach someone as talented as Karlsson.

EddieDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:25 AM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm not sure that's true. I don't think he walks around thinking he's the ****, but I do think he's trying to live up to the hype. I mean, his tweet after game two. Turnovers happen. Not going to change. That was a VERY avoidable turnover and I don't think MacLean would appreciate his defending it as just a part of his game.

When I say he needs to be more humble I mean in terms of instruction. Playing it safe. Re-learning when to pinch/pass, etc. I don't think he's an arrogant guy, but I think he believes in himself a lot and right now he could use some instruction. I can imagine it's hard to coach someone as talented as Karlsson.
Karlsson is his own worst critic.

MrCraigAnderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:43 AM
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

No, never. We should rebuild.

Ether Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Minister of Offence

He started the year this year with a 4 month warm up in a lesser league.

He started the playoffs with a 2 game warm up coming off a serious injury to an integral part of his game in which he came back quickly.

Next October, he'll probably be closer to the former than the latter. No person with medical credibility has ever said the effects of this are permanent. Doesn't mean it isn't healed however.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Oyabun

Everything was going Karlssons way. He flew down the ice, scored goals and set up plays, married his bride.

Then when you thought it couldn't get any better.....it didnt. It all came crashing down with a sliced tendon. Mickey Rourke wins an oscar for his portrayal of the alcoholic "used to be something great" Karlsson and his road into the abyss

If Hollywood movies has taught me anything, it's all downhill from here

Oyabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 06:41 PM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonster View Post
End of thread
Agreed. That comment summed things up perfectly!

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:01 PM
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 535
I think so!

McManked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 08:02 PM
WORLDSTARHIPHOP
Stone 4 Calder

We look at skating, of course he's going to be slow for now.

But he has played such a huge role in our games.

Game 1: Played a key part in 3 of 4 goals

Game 4 Made an amazing deke on 2 Habs players before breaking it out to a fullstride Turris in the neutral zone, leading to the tying goal by Conacher with seconds left

WORLDSTARHIPHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Vaclav Varada
CoJo

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaclav Varada
I think it's one of those things that will just take time. No doubt he also rushed himself back. The offseason should be a massive help.

But even if he is never the exact same, his hockey mind is so elite that he'll still be one of the better dmen in the game.

Vaclav Varada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Kershaw

I don't think he'll ever 100% recover from the torn achilles sadly. He'll never have that explosiveness like he previously did. While it adds a unique dimension to his game, he doesn't need it. It could define him as a more positional defenseman like a Lidstrom in the long haul. Karlsson is smart enough to win more Norris Trophies without the skating stride.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:55 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I don't think he'll ever 100% recover from the torn achilles sadly. He'll never have that explosiveness like he previously did. While it adds a unique dimension to his game, he doesn't need it. It could define him as a more positional defenseman like a Lidstrom in the long haul. Karlsson is smart enough to win more Norris Trophies without the skating stride.
Karlsson against Montreal had moments where he used his speed like we used to know.

Check out the absolute start of game 6. He goes end to end like it's nothing in the first 10 seconds of the game.

Karlsson just hasn't been consistent with using that type of speed all game long like he used to.

He's technically back but not polished basically. Also, his speed and extra footwork is what defines him and even though I do agree he can still be a Norris trophy winner with reduces speed, his speed is what will make him a generational talent and an all-time great.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:56 AM
Nordic*

Sure, he's slower than he was before, but what really catched my eye now as opposed to before is his passing. He doesn't find the outlet passes thriugh sticks and legs that he found by default before the injury. Perhaps it is due to his skating and not being able to find the right positions with his burts of speed, and therefore never reaching the rights spots to deliver those magical set-ups.

He also looks scared along the boards when going for a "loose" puck. That might be pretty logical given the circumstances of his injury though..

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:02 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Sure he hasn't been as great as he we all know he can be. He's rusty and clearly it shows. But without him the Sens does not win over the Habs. He logs huge amount of minutes, plays in every situation and mostly he does it well. He's been on the ice for 12 out of 20 goals for and 2 out of 9 goals against. He's got flashes of brilliance mixed with not so great ones. If this makes some of you worried, I honestly can't understand what you were expecting from him coming back so quick.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:07 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Sure he hasn't been as great as he we all know he can be. He's rusty and clearly it shows. But without him the Sens does not win over the Habs. He logs huge amount of minutes, plays in every situation and mostly he does it well. He's been on the ice for 12 out of 20 goals for and 2 out of 9 goals against. He's got flashes of brilliance mixed with not so great ones. If this makes some of you worried, I honestly can't understand what you were expecting from him coming back so quick.

Forsberg came back right into the playoffs for Colorado having been out the entire season with an injury, and was the most dominant player in the entire playoffs.

Old
05-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Flamingo

Ooh, is Forsberg available?

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
There's absolutely no basis to think that injury will hold him back long-term. None.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:58 AM
OD99

Quote:
I don't think he'll ever 100% recover from the torn achilles sadly. He'll never have that explosiveness like he previously did.
And this is based on....what exactly? Just your gut feeling? Just a negative gut feeling?

There is no reason to suggest he won't recover and especially that he won't get his explosiveness back. Sprinters have suffered this injury (or worse considering the tendon usually ruptures) and they have found their explosiveness again. Not too mention their explosive movement puts a lot more stress on the tendon that skating does.

If he can put up 6 points, be +5 and have 11 blocked shots every 5 games during the play-offs I am pretty sure he is going to be just fine.

OD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Goat Boy
In support of BMurr.

Karlsson is a shell of his former self. He might as well turn to the bottle for good.

Goat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Nordic*

Against a team you can get away with playing soft, making slow choices and not covering your guy to 100%.

Against Pittsburgh, guys like Crosby, Iginla, Malkin etc. will make you look like a fool if you aren't on top of your game.

God I hope he comes back strong(er).

Old
05-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Against a team you can get away with playing soft, making slow choices and not covering your guy to 100%.

Against Pittsburgh, guys like Crosby, Iginla, Malkin etc. will make you look like a fool if you aren't on top of your game.

God I hope he comes back strong(er).
Feck... I meant a team like Montreal in the first sentence....can't edit due to infraction