HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else feel DW redeemed himself this year?

Old
05-11-2013, 02:15 AM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Just like the thought of redoing my spreadsheet makes mine hurt. The formulas connecting the data to the ratings are busted. Figure over 60 hours to fix. I would rather have a fresh go at it with better premises/formulas. There are a lot of premises such as benchmarks for level of play and equates for dmen and forwards. Personally, I equate first pair dmen to first line forwards, 2nd pairing to second line and third pairing falling between 3rd and 4th line forwards. I would have to add to my previous study as it only included drafted players (no signed players).

I would count everyone on opening day rosters. I wouldn't count McLaren unless he shows up on the Leafs roster on opening day next season. The Sharks are still over 23, but they gained with Bonino, Irwin and McLaren (in your assessment) going full time. You could also use 21 instead of 23 if you wanted to eliminate goalies altogether. I got my 23 count last year. Eliminating goalies makes it far easier. I would count players drafted before 97 (eg Whitney for the Sharks) as some are still playing and the 21/23 average depends on counting all players in the league on opening day. This counting method is the simplest for measuring team efficacy in drafting/development.
If it hurts your head to redo your spreadsheet, fine; stop bringing up the results again and again as if it has any merit and as if it has any authority. Unless we see how you came to the results, and if you are remembering them correctly, they are irrelevant.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:42 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

I think some of us are overlooking our recent signings of undrafted players. If those signings pan out, I don't think we can complain too much. The organization is showing that its finding players in a much more agressive and proactive way.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:01 AM
BaileyMacTavish
I cast Magic Missile

Send a message via AIM to BaileyMacTavish Send a message via MSN to BaileyMacTavish Send a message via Skype™ to BaileyMacTavish
DW's findings of undrafted players is a gamble that could pan out. Especially Schwartz and Tarasov

BaileyMacTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:32 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
DW's findings of undrafted players is a gamble that could pan out. Especially Schwartz and Tarasov
Of course its a gamble but I think the most important part of his signing of undrafted players is that he's developing a reputation amongst unsigned college players that the Sharks are a place willing to take a chance on them.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:42 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
It's not much of a gamble. It's just a contract slot that's being used. These guys come in cheap and on short contracts to prove themselves. Once in a while, you get Josh Gorges and most that do pan out end up like Andrew Desjardins. Most of them end up like Schaus, MacIntyre, and Joe Loprieno. Could have a good one in Tennyson though. It's pretty much like playing the lotto. lol

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:20 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowDash View Post
I think some of us are overlooking our recent signings of undrafted players. If those signings pan out, I don't think we can complain too much. The organization is showing that its finding players in a much more agressive and proactive way.
The undrafted signings are in part to compensate for lack of draft picks. The Sharks have been very heavy in this area. They are in part attributable to Tim Burke who cruises the northeast. Very little on that from Funk's territory where other teams do the same. NJ has also historically been heavy on undrafted's. I wouldn't call it aggressive and proactive.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:33 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
McLellan has not redeemed himself unless we go back to the WCF.
That's not entirely up to him. The fact he turned around the team after the TDL and sweep a higher seed in the first round gives him job security IMO. Depending on injuries the sharks may not last another round. They have been playing a winning style of hockey for more than a month now since the roster was reshaped, the lines were redone and Burns moved to forward. The Burns move by itself was genius so Yeah I would say he gets to keep his job based on how he held the team together that horrendous bad stretch.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:51 PM
do0glas

why did i think wingels was undrafted? maybe it was the miami-ohio connection.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote