HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tips?

Old
09-25-2006, 05:52 PM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

vCash: 500
Tips?

I just got 35 inch RBk 7k pads an would like to know if there is any tip on breaking them in. Im about a inch off the landing point and would like to try to lose a inch off the height of the pad. THX

The Pwnerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 07:23 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Squish them under your dinner table or something and leave them there for a while.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 04:15 PM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

Is there a chance i could damage it if i stick it under a table?

Old
09-26-2006, 07:26 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Think you'd get more damage by wearing them on the ice and stopping a flat rubber disk :-P

I doubt it's a problem since I'm pretty sure lots of Rbk pads wind up in such a position to give it more curve. I take it that it's your first major purchase or first set of pads from the questions you got?

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 07:28 PM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

Yea they were my first big purchase. Finally got a whole set the matches

Old
09-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Aves Xx View Post
Yea they were my first big purchase. Finally got a whole set the matches
Well, what you can do is take the top strap and cross them down to the bottom strap of the pads. This will fold the pad like if you were in a butterfly. You can leave them like that for a while. Do this at home after each time you play for a month.

Head coach
http://www.passthepuck.net

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 09:51 PM
MikeD

when you look at the outer square block that runs vertical to the edge of the pad, notice that there is no cut/break in it from hte skate gusset up. The pad itself has a built in flex point that SCRUNCHING will help break in but it isnt going to change the position of your knee in the cradle. Putting the S shape in the face of the pads wont do you any good and is contrary to the design of the RBK and flat face. With a large curve any puck that strikes above the knee is liable to rebound back out front where you DONT want it to go.

Your best option is going to be getting the skate gusset to flatten. THe pads new will want to stand up in a more straight line from toe to thigh rise. Your going to need to get the skate gusset to look like "L". the closer to the top of the foot that you get the joining of the shin and skate portion of the pad, the higher your knee is going to sit in the cradle. One way is to use a spare skate lace. Make a loop neer the center that will fit arounf the skate gusset. Take each end of hte skate laces and go UP, pulling the skate gusset towards the face of the pads to bend it into a more L shape. Also, be sure to secure the arch and heel strap of the pad securely. That will also pull the pad lower.

This is all going ot help you solve the fit issue a little but your prob going to still find issues you wont be able to correct. Since you purchased a pad over size, the thigh rise is going to force your blocker upward or out. Might even do both. The tops of the pads are going to impact your stance since they are over size. Might take some getting used to in order to sort it all out.

good lukc but if you havent taken them on ice or gotten them dirty, I would take them back and exchange for a better fit. You will be MUCH happier. Go with a 33 or 34 with an added thigh rise if your interested in the 5-hole coverage that it offers.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:07 PM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

Thx MikeD i just tried the pads on for the first time and they felt great. Looks like i dont need to really break it in. The only thing i need to do is get used to skating in and out of the net. The added height of the pad has made it feel a lot different for me skating wise.

Old
09-30-2006, 10:18 AM
MikeD

glad to hear it...there is always that adjusting period for new gear. Be sure to do some carpet flys and such at home, looking in a mirror. Check out how the pad tops are going to impact your stance and glove positioning.

Sometimes the pad top on the glove side will encourage the goalie to drop the glove behind the goal pad for lower glove side saves made standing. That generally leads to problems getting the puck directly into the pocket. Remember to get the glove low but REACHING IN FRONT of the pad for those types of saves.

For blocker side watch for the blocker being pushed forward more and UP which will open your 6 (elbow). If that is the case try to not worry too much about the amount of double coverage your going to get. Let the blocker be forward of the pad and low in comparison to the pad top. As long as you can keep that elbow in your golden.

Skating may take a bit more knee bend since you will get more pad issues at the hip/leg joining. many goalies will add a deeper knee bend staying back More in stride. Seems to work well for them.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote