HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Puzzling Question On What To Do With Sergei Gonchar-Contract Extension Edition

Old
03-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
Trading him now would be stupid

Offer him a one year deal, maybe two in the off-season

If he takes it then great, if not then it's too bad but with Alfie retiring soon I wouldn't be looking at signing another 35+ year old unless it was on my terms

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 500
Bit of bump ...

Anyone want to change their mind? He's been great so far in the playoffs, would be great if he could come back for another season, give some mentoring to Weircoch.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 03:45 PM
HavlatMach9
streamable 3rah1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
Anyone want to change their mind? He's been great so far in the playoffs, would be great if he could come back for another season, give some mentoring to Weircoch.
Change their mind from what? The first reply nails it, he'll be back if he wants to be. If you look at the free agents, Gonchar would be one of the most coveted and because teams would only have to commit for a few years.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 03:47 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

One year or bust.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Vaclav Varada
CoJo

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaclav Varada
His leadership has been huge. Has always been regarded throughout his career as one of the best locker room guys. Been so happy to have him these past 2 seasons to help bring our young Dmen along.

Vaclav Varada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Gonchar has always come off to me as just a genuinely happy guy to be playing hockey and being around other great hockey players. I think if there is any influence at all from our locker-room he'll stay.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Sarcasticus

vCash: 190
I think it's been overlooked how much he's helped Karlsson, Cowen, Gryba, Wiercoch, etc... We should give him a 2-3 year deal, I say.

Sarcasticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Dave Sparky Allison
2-22-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasticus View Post
I think it's been overlooked how much he's helped Karlsson, Cowen, Gryba, Wiercoch, etc... We should give him a 2-3 year deal, I say.
He's 39 years old. We don't want to give him 2-3 years. I imagine he will play next year because he wants to play in the Olympics. I have no problem bringing him back on a 1 year deal. 2 years? I'm a little scared by. 3 years? Hell no.

Dave Sparky Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:10 AM
18Hossa
And Grace, Too

1 year 4.5 mil or 2 years 4mil

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:56 AM
Lehner

I let him walk, I like Gonchar a lot but its time for us to split ways. He isnt going to get better, I'd rather Patty or Ceci take his spot.

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 04:10 AM
DrEasy
Out rumptackling

Upgrade (tough to do... what's Streit's status?) or re-sign. Otherwise our defense depth and experience will be depleted. Let the prospects fight it out for whatever spots are available, as we know injuries will happen and we'll use them anyway.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gonchar or better
Phillips - Gryba
Wiercioch, BoroCop.
... Ceci, Claessen, Wikstrand, Sdao, etc.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:20 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
Upgrade (tough to do... what's Streit's status?) or re-sign. Otherwise our defense depth and experience will be depleted. Let the prospects fight it out for whatever spots are available, as we know injuries will happen and we'll use them anyway.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gonchar or better
Phillips - Gryba
Wiercioch, BoroCop.
... Ceci, Claessen, Wikstrand, Sdao, etc.
Streit is NOT an upgrade. Gonchar is far better defensively and is as good or better offensively.

I don't know how we upgrade on Gonchar as a UFA becuase Gonchar is the best UFA D-Man for us to sign. We could upgrade by trade, but we would be giving up a great deal to get a real upgrade on him and we need a forward quality forward upgrade more then one on defence.

Resign Gonchar. 2 years $4.25 million per year. We can see Gonchar is fine now. he is smart and that is not going away, even if he is pretty slow. In two years we will probably have resigned Phillips on a much, much cheaper 1 year deal, or Phillips has retired. Ceci will be ready for the top 6. Wiercioch will have established himself and be effective. Cowen will have signed a long term deal.

Karlsson
Methot
Gonchar
Cowen
Phillips
Wiercioch
Gryba

Karlsson
Cowen
Methot
Wiercioch
Gonchar
Phillips/Gryba
Ceci

Karlsson
Cowen
Methot
Wiercioch
Ceci
XXXXXX
XXXXXX

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:03 AM
koreaboy

Gonchar is far and away the toughest decision we have to make this summer. I'd certainly like to keep him but there are so many kids knocking on the door and we don't want to stall them. If he took a year at as high as $4.5mil, I'd do it. Tough choice though. I suspect he'll be offered too much elsewhere and we have to lt him walk.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:53 AM
John Holmes*

He'll go somewhere to win.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:17 AM
StefanW

I would definitely keep him on a one year deal to give the up and comers in Bingo one more year to develop their game. My guess is that he will ask for two, which is what makes the decision tough. I would still do it at two years, but I suspect management will not open up the piggy bank quite that far for the sake of keeping him around. We already have Phillips in a mentoring role, so while Gonchar's leadership is helpful it is not essential.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:25 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

I would definitely offer him a contract to come back, but like John said above, Gonch might take a lower $ deal and give himself the best chance he has at another cup.

Like it or not, the "Gonchar will return to Pittsburgh" rumors we heard during the lockout still probably hold some weight.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Herping Derps*

The real problem is that you just have to draft, draft, draft.

I would have preferred it if Murry had been addressing some of our contract issues last year, but man, when you look at the some of the contracts like Suter (13 years, wtf!), it just becomes obvious that FA is a chancey and expensive game.

Just how much more would we have had to throw at Carle, Wideman, or Oduja just to get them there. Lord knows I hope the sens never become the type of team that throws 13 year contracts out like candy.

So the point of this rant is that a) Gonchar really is our only option at this point b) we might be screwed after he signs it, as its seems like he's having a contract year. But thems the breaks.

And more to the point, who the hell gets brought in as a boost to this poor offence. Great, Spez will be back, but between his injuries, and 2MM's lacklustre play and consistent injuries, our top line could use and anchor that isn't 40+ years old. Does conacher really hit the top line....sorry. Just realized I went off topic.

Herping Derps* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:34 AM
koreaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
He could stay here and have a shot to win. A sens squad at full power with another year of advancement for our kids and excellent goaltending is a contender.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:38 AM
koreaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I would definitely offer him a contract to come back, but like John said above, Gonch might take a lower $ deal and give himself the best chance he has at another cup.

Like it or not, the "Gonchar will return to Pittsburgh" rumors we heard during the lockout still probably hold some weight.
I doubt he's gonna go back there. They have to pay their top two forwards almost $20mil, and they have two other big tickets in letang and now fleury the albatross. They also have a boatload of young prospects on D. I can't see them sinking $4mil+ into gonchar.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:14 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
I doubt he's gonna go back there. They have to pay their top two forwards almost $20mil, and they have two other big tickets in letang and now fleury the albatross. They also have a boatload of young prospects on D. I can't see them sinking $4mil+ into gonchar.
Yeah, agreed. Which is why I said he'd take less $ to sign with them.

Kind of like the deal Vokoun signed when he went to the Caps. ~$2mil, 1 year. One last shot on a team where he would be more than a spare part, but still surrounded by All Stars at almost every other position.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:16 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
And where would that be John?

Must be a top 6-8 team in the league with cap space and need help on defense. There isn't a whole lot of them that meet those criterias.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:27 AM
John Holmes*

I'm not against bringing him back on a 1 year deal. I just think he'll get a better offer somewhere else.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Bilbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herping Derps View Post

And more to the point, who the hell gets brought in as a boost to this poor offence. Great, Spez will be back, but between his injuries, and 2MM's lacklustre play and consistent injuries, our top line could use and anchor that isn't 40+ years old. Does conacher really hit the top line....sorry. Just realized I went off topic.
I propose Karlsson, Spezza, Cowen be brought in for the year to improve our offense. Look at the numbers from the start of the year, before the injury parade got going. Also, Cowen is only beginning to tap his offensive potential.

Bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Flamingo

I can't believe it's been three years.

Bring him back for one year. He's playing really well right now, though he's the slowest skater on the team. If he wants two, and finds a team that wants to sign him, thanks for the memories.

Flamingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:36 AM
IranCondraAffair

I really don't think he'll be going to the Penguins. We can outbid them for anything realistic and a lot has changed since the rumours had him being traded to Pittsburgh (Martin and the Pittsburgh defence improved).

Gonchar has been around long enough to know that leaving a team to go farther in the playoffs isn't anything near a sure bet, look at Hossa as an example. If he doesn't stay, in my opinion, it will be for one of these reasons:

1. Gonchar wants to retire.

2. Someone pays him stupid money (6+ million a year).

3. Ottawa decides to let him go to continue the rebuild.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote