HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would the Habs benefit from a Heavyweight enforcer? Part 3

Old
05-11-2013, 12:00 PM
bud12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadiensVault View Post
NO! We need top 6 BIG forwards that can crash the net and score.
that's why you need Clowe/Stewart AND a enforcer.

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:27 AM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
AND we need big defensemen too.
yup

And I'm ready to bet that the habs will have a heavyweight next year.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
that's why you need Clowe/Stewart AND a enforcer.
Clowe isn't a top 6 forward.

I don't see Stewart going anywhere, plus he is a guy fans would turn on pretty quick. He plays a similar game to Pacioretty but bigger and not as good a skater.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:17 AM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

I don't see Stewart going anywhere, plus he is a guy fans would turn on pretty quick. He plays a similar game to Pacioretty but bigger and not as good a skater.
top 9 if that make you happy.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:33 AM
sampollock

enforcer, not needed

but size is: the walking wouned in the room right now, shows that.

MB will fix it, I think this the GM that will not let this go unrepaired.

Book it.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:23 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

You're the most hypocritical poster here. No kidding.

Clowe is not a top-6 forward anymore because of a bad season, yet, Gorges is still a top-3 d-man anywhere in the league after a horrible one? What kind of flawed, biased, kool-aid drinker logic is that?

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:18 PM
overlords
Hfboards

This is the enforcer thread, why are we discussing stalberg? Keep it on topic.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:34 PM
respect the D

is this a question that even needs to be asked anymore? other players say it, other coaches mention that if they play the Habs it's all about being physical with them, 95% of the fans say it, Prust between the lines said it yesterday ....... of course there are a few saying the opposite on here but trust me the Habs saying in the interviews yesterday that No it's not needed are just scared to be replaced on the team.

respect the D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 04:40 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by respect the D View Post
is this a question that even needs to be asked anymore? other players say it, other coaches mention that if they play the Habs it's all about being physical with them, 95% of the fans say it, Prust between the lines said it yesterday ....... of course there are a few saying the opposite on here but trust me the Habs saying in the interviews yesterday that No it's not needed are just scared to be replaced on the team.
Bouillon said that the habs need a heavyweight, Bourque said that Prust need help, etc..........

Old
05-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Bouillon said that the habs need a heavyweight, Bourque said that Prust need help, etc..........
But DD seems to disagree. But hey asking him this question is like asking Claude Julien if his team dives.

Prust said this season was his toughest. And it was only a half season. Both funny and sad.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:51 PM
SherbrookeW

Sure, it's nice to have some big forwards and defensemen. The Habs have been trying to draft them, mostly without success , for twenty plus years.
But ask yourself...are Riberio and Grabowski ,both highly skilled players who the Habs gave away for free, helping the teams they're worth? WOuld you rather have them back -- or have a couple of those big tough goons people keep begging for? I know what Sam Pollock would say.

SherbrookeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
That has MT written all over it. Seems like the GM made the mistake of trusting his coach over his pro scouts. Never again, please.
Agreed. Burke made that mistake with Wilson and it cost him his job.

Coachs have the least foresight I can think of as far as getting players. Case in point, when Mike Keenan and Jacques Martin were GMs, they almost ruined their clubs.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:01 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
But DD seems to disagree. But hey asking him this question is like asking Claude Julien if his team dives.

Prust said this season was his toughest. And it was only a half season. Both funny and sad.
I think this is the reason we NEED a heavyweight enforcer on the team. So that other teams stop taking liberties on us during the reg.season and ultimately get our players tired.

The difference in entering the playoffs with a healthy prust and plek/gio/maxpac/eller ect... not having endured what they have during the reg. season is immense.

so here is a good example : I appreciated ryan white's tenure this year. He was that psycho that yes, cost us games, but made it easier for our players to play without being intimidated. he draw the attention on him in numerous games.

on a side note, so did emelin and his injury is in my mind, the turning point of our season. The opposition analyses our team and goes : ''only subban hits, get in his face and drill markov whenever you can. ''

but when you have bouillon and emelin healthy (and hopefully now tinordi) making it hard for the other team to enter the zone, other teams go '' they throw good hits at the blue line, be carefull. ''

the difference it makes over the course of a season is huge.

so we need that guy that will deal with plugs like Orr and kaleta and draw neil's attention. doesn't matter if he doesn't play in the playoffs, his role has a long term impact imho.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Forsead

I don't see which competent enforcer could be available as an UFA this offseason. I think a trade could be coming.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:26 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I don't see which competent enforcer could be available as an UFA this offseason. I think a trade could be coming.
Bordeleau?

Kassian looks like a great pickup for Ottawa, sucks we couldn't have landed him.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:46 AM
bud12

Quote:
what is a competent enforcer for you?

Old
05-13-2013, 10:56 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Not that I don't believe you, but when was this?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:40 AM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Not that I don't believe you, but when was this?
1 week ago. In their last meeting with the media before the summer

Old
05-14-2013, 02:09 PM
niftymove

Gosh!!!

I keep putting dumb posters on my ignore list but you keep quoting them in your own post.....

If I have to ignore ppls who quote the dumb ones, that forum will become so dull....

And if I find my own posts so dumb (like this one) that I decide to ignore myself, what will happen???

niftymove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:38 PM
calder candidate

What about Evgeny Artyukhin from what I remember that guy was just Nasty and love to hit people.

He isn't a pure enforcer but could probably hold is own agaist anyone or atleast not get physically dominated. That way Prust doesn't have to fight every goon in the league

I can't see him being any softer then Moen was this year

calder candidate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Lafleurs Guy

No enforcer. But we need to get bigger and tougher overall. Hate to keep playing the broken record but it's long past due for us to fix it. Picking up Prust was great. We need more warrior types.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
No enforcer. But we need to get bigger and tougher overall. Hate to keep playing the broken record but it's long past due for us to fix it. Picking up Prust was great. We need more warrior types.
Picking up a Kassian type of enforcer will not kill our team. He'll be healthy scratch on most nights and he can take a regularr(well...) shift...Kinda.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:27 AM
habsfanatics

We need an enforcer, period. There is no point in denying it, those who say we don't need one will be calling it a great pick up once we get one. The attachment some have with management and their support of every thing management does is weird on these boards. Size was never an issue to some, we pick up Cole, great acquisition because it addressed a need, but 10 mins before the signing it was never a need.

Having an enforcer will not put us at any disadvantage at all compared to some of the scrubs we currently dress on the forth line. Ryan White, Gabriel Dumont, Colby Armstrong and on and on. An enforcer would likely contribute as much as these guys do on the scoreboard as well.

Our problem is still size in our top 6-9 forwards. Having DD, Pleks, gionta all in the top 6 is a problem. If we could move Gionta and get a guy with similar production like Clowe for a similar contract would be ideal along with a tough guy who can support Prust and we're getting closer, but we also need to address the softness on the backend. Diaz, Marky, Gorges, is too much back there. I wouldn't be opposed to moving Gorges for a big shut down guy with some nastiness. PK can hold his own, Boullion although small is tough as nails. Emelin can't fight, but he's one tough customer.

Move Gionta, sign Clowe, move Gorges for a big stay at home bruiser and sign a legit heavyweight.

habsfanatics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:44 AM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by calder candidate View Post
What about Evgeny Artyukhin from what I remember that guy was just Nasty and love to hit people.

He isn't a pure enforcer but could probably hold is own agaist anyone or atleast not get physically dominated. That way Prust doesn't have to fight every goon in the league

I can't see him being any softer then Moen was this year
Artyukhin is a fake tough guy that hide behind a visor.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Orr McGrattan Bordeleau Sestito Scott are all legit NHL heavyweights.

I would also sign a guy like Labrie or Letourneau-Leblond as insurance in the AHL if needed.

I think if you have a smaller core group guys like that are well worth their weight in gold. You don't have to play them every night but against certain teams, you send the message early in the year not to mess with us. At 700-900k cap hit it's not a big hit on the cap either.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote