HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2013, 10:12 PM
hockeyfan2k11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingMTL View Post
Wanna know the funny thing, go read the Olympic Canada team prediction for goalies and pretty much every predicted roster by any fan has Carey either starting or backing up Luongo.

Wanna know what's even funnier, the rosters that don't have Price are mostly Habs fans or Leafs fans that have Reimer there instead
I'd say it's a combination of people not actually watching him play and the lack of quality Canadian goaltenders.

Price has lived off his potential and his achievements prior to the NHL more than any player in recent memory.

The Price blame game =

injury
defense
team
coaching staff
fans
pressure

etc....

Elite talent that is playing like a mid tier goalie. Blame away

Old
05-11-2013, 10:30 PM
ReppingMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I'd say it's a combination of people not actually watching him play and the lack of quality Canadian goaltenders.

Price has lived off his potential and his achievements prior to the NHL more than any player in recent memory.

The Price blame game =

injury
defense
team
coaching staff
fans
pressure

etc....

Believe me, there are many fans outside of our board that watch Price play.

Old
05-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post

The Price blame game =

injury
defense
team
coaching staff
fans
pressure

etc....

Price was a top 5 NHL goaltender the last 2.5 years until the final 3 weeks of this season. Seriously you are the one who needs to watch him play.

Old
05-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Price was a top 5 NHL goaltender the last 2.5 years until the final 3 weeks of this season. Seriously you are the one who needs to watch him play.
Only top 5 goaltender in history that is not top 5 in any stat.

Old
05-11-2013, 10:50 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

.del

Old
05-11-2013, 11:59 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Quote:
He was a top 5 goalie in 2011. Not even close last year or this year.

Seriously you need to watch other goalies play. Price needs to be much better than he has been.

Old
05-12-2013, 12:36 AM
durojean

Quote:
Yeah he was the #1 goalie of a last place team that never was able to keep a lead in the third. Top 5 in the league...

Old
05-12-2013, 01:43 AM
CrazyShea

Yeah let's trade him for Fleury

He's 25 years old and is definitely a top 5 goalie in the league. Habs fans need to stop expecting the goalie to carry a team and play the defense and forwards for our foes not the goalie every goalie.

Old
05-12-2013, 04:28 AM
Genesis76

vCash: 50
i'm not sure how to read through this Logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyShea View Post
Yeah let's trade him for Fleury

He's 25 years old and is definitely a top 5 goalie in the league. Habs fans need to stop expecting the goalie to carry a team and play the defense and forwards for our foes not the goalie every goalie.

A goalie is expected to play 60 mins a game.
A goalie is expected to make the saves.
Currently the median sv% for a top 30 goalie in the NHL is 0.920%
A top 5 goalie is expected to be above or at (roughly) the median sv%
Carey price's sv% was 0.905% placing him in the 35th place.
A goalie is expected to bounce back from a bad game.

When your goalie gives in a bad goal your team has to score 2 more to win the game.

No one is expecting the goalie to carry the team
But no one should expect a team to carry the goalie either

I think Carey has one more shot with the canadiens and if he doesn't perform he will be gone.

Old
05-12-2013, 04:40 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post

Seriously you need to watch other goalies play. Price needs to be much better than he has been.
Actually price was great for us last season, and wasn't nearly as bad as some people say he was this season.

Old
05-12-2013, 05:04 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I want to see Price move a bit more in his net. By that I mean come out to cut angles, and not play so deep.
Goalie is an aggressive position. A lot more than people think. I blame his goalie coaches for his passivity. CP can be a great goalie, but he needs to defend his territory and be far more aggressive. I think he will do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post

Its a shock that he even resigned here, poor guy.
That's a bit girlie. CP makes 6.5 Mill a year playing goal for the Montreal Canadiens. He's a very fortunate guy.

And, I will support him to the end, he is Hab's Goalie, and he's damn good.

This is all a bit silly. I think the real pressure will come when Habs are true contenders. And I think he'll be ready for that.

Old
05-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
Actually price was great for us last season, and wasn't nearly as bad as some people say he was this season.
We had a better team. And yet, he ended up with the numbers he had. Why in the heck would Corsi be the bible of all players but then, you can't talk about the most legitimate numbers for goalies?

Price is NEVER terrible. But he's often underwhelming. Based on our expectations? Probably....but again, that's because of how he was sold to us and how much money he makes. Add the Montreal market and clearly he needs to be a top 5 goalie. Not the "top 5" goalie that people think he is but don't have the numbers to prove it. A real top 5 goalie. What people are referring to as a top 5 goalie is mostly based, again, on potential.

Like I said on the out of town thread, it's crazy to hear people talk about the St.Louis system. Saying that their goalies have no merit, that the only reason why they did great is because of a strong system and a strong D. Yet....this is exactly what we wish to see Price play under. Which brings the question...the day that he does....will he ALSO have no merit for doing great? Or are we going to then say "Well, NOW you see why he wasn't going good before...". Double standards riding again?

Old
05-12-2013, 08:34 AM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Not even close. I would listen to offers for sure.

Old
05-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post

He was top 10 last year, just didn;'t get a lot of help. This year he started out strong but struggled down the stretch.

IMHO it would be dumb to trade Price now, even with his struggles.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:43 AM
SAKS AVENUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post

I think Carey has one more shot with the canadiens and if he doesn't perform he will be gone.
Just like the year we finished 1st with Carbo, the next year sucked butt.
This coming season we will suck butt and Carey will take most of the heat. He'll be gone by trade deadline.
His flat tire tone in his comments says it all, and I don't believe he's happy in Montreal no matter what he says.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
Just like the year we finished 1st with Carbo, the next year sucked butt.
This coming season we will suck butt and Carey will take most of the heat. He'll be gone by trade deadline.
His flat tire tone in his comments says it all, and I don't believe he's happy in Montreal no matter what he says.
Ever the more reason to trade in summer. Price is not a deadline pickup player for the playoffs, he's also a guy that needs plenty of gap room cleared for insertion. If he lasts this summer he'll be with us until next summer guaranteed.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Price comments are a bit concerning. He does not seem to like playing in Montreal. The hobbit in a hole comment is a red flag for me. I do not think he has the personality to thrive in Montreal. You compare with Subban who craves media attention, craves fan attention, shows up at every social event, wants to live the big life and be adored. His comments about the CBC people said it all (paraphrasing) : I kinda like it. It fuels the fire. That is the type of personality that can succeed in Montreal as a star player.

Also, the part where he says I can win a cup. Well, almost any goalie can win a cup with a powerhouse team. Not sure why he feels the need to say that. Does he mean he can win a cup being a main driving influence for the team ? Or more like a backseat driver on a good team ? This kind of ties in into what he was saying before the playoffs began when he said something like "I'm just another player on the team" when asked about expectations. In the meantime Therrien was saying Price was the best player and expected to make a difference.

And then he goes on to say he will look into what he needs to do to get better... Other players knew exactly what they needed to do. They knew what they had to focus on but from Price's comments, I didn't get the feeling he knew what was the problem. He was counting more on an 82 game schedule to train with Groulx like that would fix everything. I hope Groulx or whoever will be there, will have the answers because I don't know if Price does.

The "I don't come out anymore, hobbit in a hole" comments just feel like he's not happy here. I don't know how he can be successful here if that's the case.

But it's also entirely possible I'm reading way too much into this.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
If Price was great last season then the word has lots all its meaning and half the goalies in the league are great.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:06 AM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
i'm not sure how to read through this Logic.

A goalie is expected to play 60 mins a game.
A goalie is expected to make the saves.
Currently the median sv% for a top 30 goalie in the NHL is 0.920%
A top 5 goalie is expected to be above or at (roughly) the median sv%
Carey price's sv% was 0.905% placing him in the 35th place.
A goalie is expected to bounce back from a bad game.

When your goalie gives in a bad goal your team has to score 2 more to win the game.

No one is expecting the goalie to carry the team
But no one should expect a team to carry the goalie either

A defenseman is expected to stop the opposing team. When the team is constantly giving up odd man rushes and having defensive break downs every second play kinda hard to stop every puck.
A forward is expected to score goals. When the team is only scoring 1.80 goals in the playoffs Price needs to get a shutout every game to win. The funny thing is people expect that and would probably still complain about him if he did it.

Price will be here for years to come get use to him.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Nom de Guerre
You Had ONE JOB

So for you guys asking Price to go who would you replace him with?

Old
05-12-2013, 11:50 AM
sharks9

Price isn't going anywhere. He's a top 5 goalie and will be the starter in Sochi. 2 weeks of playing injured doesn't take away from that.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Price isn't going anywhere. He's a top 5 goalie and will be the starter in Sochi. 2 weeks of playing injured doesn't take away from that.
"Top 5" when sorting from worst to best.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Fire Everyone
Especially you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Price was bad for more than two weeks. He has been bad since early March (the 7-6 loss to Pittsburgh) and downright horrible since early April.

Old
05-12-2013, 12:00 PM
ReppingMTL

Quote:
People have short term memory, or remember what they want to remember. Price was solid for us up until that season ending stretch. He was also solid after a questionable first game in playoffs but people will look at his SV% this year and say he was pathetic. They don't want to mention that one game he was on for six goals, where the habs forgot they needed to play D to win a hockey game.

Old
05-12-2013, 12:08 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
"Top 5" when sorting from worst to best.
You're one of those fans who would've wanted Patrick Roy out of town when he struggled too.

Price is 25, still a few years away from his peak and will definitely be better next year.

Closed Thread