HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part 4: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2013, 10:54 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Q: What's your thoughts on Samuel Morin?
A: Big man who can move and decent skill but very raw/long way away.

Q: What's your thoughts on Samuel Morin? Seems to have some helium since U18s.
A: I thought he was very meh at the U18s.

Q: Could you see Morin being selected at 11 by PHI?
A: Plausible. Know several scouts who have him top 20.

Somebody asking Corey Pronman questions about Samuel Morin and the Flyers on twitter.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-11-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old
05-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Pulock is supposed to be an offensive defenseman, right? I would avoid him. I don't trust d-men who are drafted for their offense. Sure, some of them pan out, like Coffey, but most seem to struggle in their own end, and if you can't play D as a defenseman, then you won't last on the Flyers. With the Flyers lack of patience and lack of ability to develop defensemen, their patience with someone who is weak in their own end will be extremely short.

Nurse will be gone before the Flyers draft. I'd trade down and get Haag if they think he'd be there around 20. I am sold on Swedish players in the first place, and the way this guy stepped up in the WJC, I think he has good character. I take the low risk pick and take him.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:04 PM
FLYguy3911

I've wanted Morrissey for some time now. Jones and Nurse are the only guys I'm taking before him. That said, if you're going for the homerun Morin is the guy to go for. When you talk about upside, there isn't a defenseman with a bigger upside than his. Obviously his probability of hitting that upside isn't as high as say Seth Jones. Morrissey, Ristolainen, and Pulock aren't #1 defenseman. Morin has the potential to be a #1. It might not be for 5 years, it might be never, but it's there.

He's the Tyler Myers of this draft. The more I look at it the more I see it. Both 6'8. Both have incredible mobility for their size. Both had similar offensive season's during their draft year. Both played a role in winning u18 gold medals. Myers took a big leap after his draft year and Morin could be due for one as well.

People don't take change very well (this board especially). We've been pegging these kid's draft slots for a few years now and when someone comes out and makes a bold prediction everyone jumps all over it. But the more you sit back and think about it, the more it doesn't seem like such a bad idea after all. Morin, right now, is everything we hope Lauridsen will become, but still has a tremendous ceiling.

Old
05-12-2013, 05:33 AM
JayB

Just hear that Ristolainen have done some weight training and bulking up so he´s weight is know 226.2 lbs. Nice!

So what are these worries about Nurse? Low hockey-IQ? **** head?

Last edited by JayB: 05-12-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old
05-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I've wanted Morrissey for some time now. Jones and Nurse are the only guys I'm taking before him. That said, if you're going for the homerun Morin is the guy to go for. When you talk about upside, there isn't a defenseman with a bigger upside than his. Obviously his probability of hitting that upside isn't as high as say Seth Jones. Morrissey, Ristolainen, and Pulock aren't #1 defenseman. Morin has the potential to be a #1. It might not be for 5 years, it might be never, but it's there.

He's the Tyler Myers of this draft. The more I look at it the more I see it. Both 6'8. Both have incredible mobility for their size. Both had similar offensive season's during their draft year. Both played a role in winning u18 gold medals. Myers took a big leap after his draft year and Morin could be due for one as well.

People don't take change very well (this board especially). We've been pegging these kid's draft slots for a few years now and when someone comes out and makes a bold prediction everyone jumps all over it. But the more you sit back and think about it, the more it doesn't seem like such a bad idea after all. Morin, right now, is everything we hope Lauridsen will become, but still has a tremendous ceiling.
My feeling generally is that if we had a more solid farm system, swing away. However, with no more than 5 or so notable prospects total, it's hard to swing for the fences and hope you hit.

I do agree with you that Morin has that kind of upside, but I just don't agree that none of these other plays do. For example, there is essentially nothing that separates Morrissey from a guy like Timo at a much less advanced stage.

I won't shed a single tear if the Flyers select Morrissey or Hagg or whomever they deem as the BPA. I'm an armchair GM and know what I've seen with my eyes in 2-10 games. I won't be privy to interviews with players and former coaches, as much in person scouting, etc. Have to trust the scouts who've done so well over recent years helping find guys for the draft, but also the undrafted UFAs who have contributed so greatly.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:39 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I think Morrissey has the potential to be another Kimmo Timonen or, dare I say it, Drew Doughty type of defenseman. The one thing that doesn't get talked about when it comes to Morrissey is just how smart he is on the ice. I know I talk a lot about how the smarts of a player, but to me, if you're drafting a player, you want to know that they think and play at the same time and with Morrissey, you can just see how well he thinks the game out on the ice. He doesn't have the size that other players have, so he also relies on positioning, poke checking, and thinking the play ahead when he makes a move. That's what number 1 defensemen do - they are always thinking out there. I think that's the one thing that impresses me the most about Morrissey and why I view him so highly. His game really does remind of Kimmo and Drew, but he might have a better shot than both of them.

As for Samuel Morin, I'm not sold on him at all and I'll explain more in the next part.

Quote:
Samuel Morin scares the hell out of me and that's because he's 6'7 and he skates well for a man his size. I'm sold on him being a Tyler Myers at all. One of the things that really struck me with regards to Morin is that he's a guy who has a lot of work to do in improving his footwork. Even though he's a good skater, he got turned inside out at the U18 tournament several times. As well, his pivoting and turning while working in the corners also needs a lot of work.

I suppose the offensive game between the two is similar, but Morin has an awful lot of work ahead of him. I suppose he could have a Chara-like rise if he's developed in the proper environment, but that's really hoping that everything on his development path goes right. That's the problem with a guy like Morin - he might have the raw skill to be an impact player down the road, but it's getting him from point a to point b that's going to be the challenge. If he doesn't pan out and other defensemen drafted after him turn out to be the real deal, that's a move that can set a franchise back by several years. The Flyers can't afford to be risk takers in this situation. They just don't have the depth in their system to take on such a project at 11. At 41? Yeah no problem, but not at 11.

Quote:
What worries me about Morin is that there's so much work that needs to be done to cultivate that raw skill. If the Flyers had a development system like Detroit or Phoenix does when it comes to defensemen, then there wouldn't be so much to worry about - and that's the problem with the Flyers. Their development system for defensemen leaves a lot to be desired. Yes, I'm willing to give Terry Murray a chance to see if he can turn any of the young defenders into quality NHL defensemen, but it's going to take time.

As for Lauridsen, he has been a 4 year and change project in the making. According to some on here, he's still a ways away from being an NHL defender, so he isn't out of the woods yet. With Morin, you're looking at least another two seasons of junior and then probably two years at the AHL level and then a couple of seasons at the NHL and even then, you're probably not looking at him making an impact until he's 25 at the earliest.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:03 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
If the Flyers had a development system like Detroit or Phoenix does when it comes to defensemen, then there wouldn't be so much to worry about - and that's the problem with the Flyers. Their development system for defensemen leaves a lot to be desired.
It's pointless to look on with envy when we have arguably the best drafting record over the past two decades. I think people often look at our pool and wonder why our 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, etc don't pan out. They seem to be the same people who think that a 2nd has any actual value. Outside of the 1st round there's a huge drop off for everyone, not just us. All our 1sts are already making impacts; the ones that we didn't trade off anyway.

This argument also has a lot to do with the complaining and comparing of our current prospect pool (and our prospect pool over the last 5 years) to other organizations'. Immediate, significant, and overreaching success gets masked by ineptitude because of a fallacy in the visual ques of a website that really has no merit to make whatever claims it wants. While I am a writer for HF, the breakdown of prospects on this site is fictitious in the sense that it is not the way organizations actually look at their own pools or even how they measure success.

I think we'll be fine if we take BPA, and I trust our scouts to know what BPA is at 11. That doesn't mean I won't be upset if we pick a forward, but I have every right to be worried about the outcome. It's a game based on the insecurities that we won't be able to ice an adequate defense down the road. However, with Gustafsson and Gostisbehere making strides, we're not in as hopeless a position as we make ourselves believe.

I've heard the arguments that we should be spending less on the blueline by developing our own talent there instead of trading/signing veterans, but while I respect those opinions, I have to disagree with their foundation. What some see as a problem and a lacking on the part of the front office's planning, I see as a clever way to play to our developmental staff's strengths and counter their weaknesses with acquisitions developed by organizations with different strengths.

Last edited by CS: 05-12-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old
05-12-2013, 10:18 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
It's pointless to look on with envy when we have arguably the best drafting record over the past two decades. I think people often look at our pool and wonder why our 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, etc don't pan out. They seem to be the same people who think that a 2nd has any actual value. Outside of the 1st round there's a huge drop off for everyone, not just us. All our 1sts are already making impacts; the ones that we didn't trade off anyway.

This argument also has a lot to do with the complaining and comparing of our current prospect pool (and our prospect pool over the last 5 years) to other organizations'. Immediate, significant, and overreaching success gets masked by ineptitude because of a fallacy in the visual ques of a website that really has no merit to make whatever claims it wants. While I am a writer for HF, the breakdown of prospects on this site is fictitious in the sense that it is not the way organizations actually look at their own pools or even how they measure success.

I think we'll be fine if we take BPA, and I trust our scouts to know what BPA is at 11. That doesn't mean I won't be upset if we pick a forward, but I have every right to be worried about the outcome. It's a game based on the insecurities that we won't be able to ice an adequate defense down the road. However, with Gustafsson and Gostisbehere making strides, we're not in as hopeless a position as we make ourselves believe.

I've heard the arguments that we should be spending less on the blueline by developing our own talent there instead of trading/signing veterans, but while I respect those opinions, I have to disagree with their foundation.
This isn't about envy or anything like that Chris. This is about a franchise that just cannot draft and develop defenseman (although Lauridsen and Gostisbehere are giving hope). You mention that they're one of the better drafting franchises in the NHL. They are, but when you look at what they've drafted and developed, it's been forwards. Defensemen are a different story when it comes to this club. Kevin Marshall busted, MA Bourdon has a head like a mushed watermelon, Lauridsen is still considered a work in progress and will probably top out as a bottom pairing guy and Gostisbehere needs to put on about 20 pounds and play more than 40 games to see what he offers. That's the fact of the situation.

Until they can draft and develop defenseman, then yes, their record of drafting and developing defenseman will always be compared to that of Phoenix and Detroit. I don't think that's slamming the development system or anything like that, I think it's a matter of the Flyers needing to address a development problem within the system. I don't think that's a problem at all and I think it's something that the Flyers will probably address this off season.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:42 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
This isn't about envy or anything like that Chris. This is about a franchise that just cannot draft and develop defenseman (although Lauridsen and Gostisbehere are giving hope). You mention that they're one of the better drafting franchises in the NHL. They are, but when you look at what they've drafted and developed, it's been forwards. Defensemen are a different story when it comes to this club. Kevin Marshall busted, MA Bourdon has a head like a mushed watermelon, Lauridsen is still considered a work in progress and will probably top out as a bottom pairing guy and Gostisbehere needs to put on about 20 pounds and play more than 40 games to see what he offers. That's the fact of the situation.

Until they can draft and develop defenseman, then yes, their record of drafting and developing defenseman will always be compared to that of Phoenix and Detroit. I don't think that's slamming the development system or anything like that, I think it's a matter of the Flyers needing to address a development problem within the system. I don't think that's a problem at all and I think it's something that the Flyers will probably address this off season.
Sbisa and Pitkanen are both quality NHL defenseman. Woywitka, drafted 27th overall, is really the only defensive "bust" we've legitimately had in over two decades.

The problem is not that we suck at developing them, but that we don't try to develop them. The fallacy created by a bunch of 2nd round pick busts like Marshall, Ratchuk, and Bodrov (the only defensemen we've blown 2nd round picks on in over a decade) is pretty alarming here. You just don't get quality players beyond the 1st. It's a crapshoot.

We've only drafted 3 defensemen in the 1st round, when the vast majority of NHL talent is taken. Out of those 3, we've hit on 2 if not 2.5 of them (Woywitka played in the league for a bit). The second round has sucked for picking defensemen, but it sucks for every team picking every position.

We have a couple wins in there though, as many as any other team anyway. Bourdon's not in the NHL right now because of concussions. You can't fault development there. Alex Picard is roughly the same as Woywitka in terms of NHL feasibility, but he was drafted later. Seidenberg is an obvious late-round win for our organization even though he ended up elsewhere. Lauridsen looks to be potentially around the Picard/Woywitka level. Gostisbehere seems like the real key.

So we're not developing any less in later rounds than most organizations. The lack of picks used on defensemen in the first round has created this fictitious image of our organization.

While I wouldn't bet the farm that we could draft a defenseman better than other organizations out there, I think we certainly could start to develop blueliners if we started using 1sts on them.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:25 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Developing goalies and defensemen is all about patience, which this organization seems to have very little of. If your not willing to deal with the highs and lows of developing a mid-round defenseman, you're rarely going to see a guy become a factor at the NHL level. The Flyers seem stuck in this mentality that if a guy isn't at least close to NHL ready at twenty-one, he's probably not worth holding onto, which is garbage. The league is full of defensemen that spent a lot of time in the AHL developing their game.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:31 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Developing goalies and defensemen is all about patience, which this organization seems to have very little of. If your not willing to deal with the highs and lows of developing a mid-round defenseman, you're rarely going to see a guy become a factor at the NHL level. The Flyers seem stuck in this mentality that if a guy isn't at least close to NHL ready at twenty-one, he's probably not worth holding onto, which is garbage. The league is full of defensemen that spent a lot of time in the AHL developing their game.
I agree, but I think the Flyers are impatient partially because of the immediate success of a lot of their picks/signings. When guys succeed immediately, the organizations throws them to the wolves in a sink or swim mentality, which usually ends up well for the player.

Normally forwards who have NHL potential are either going to skip the AHL completely or spend no more than 1 to 2 years in the minor league. Defensemen generally take longer, but we seem to apply a forward mentality to them.

Though of course, it's not really fair because outside of Sbisa and Pitkanen, who both made fairly immediate impacts, there was no other real bluechip for us to patiently develop on the back-end.

Honestly, despite ourselves we may have done a real solid job patiently developing Gustafsson. I know it doesn't seem like it, but because we weren't able to rush him, he's turning into a fine young defenseman.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:42 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
I agree, but I think the Flyers are impatient partially because of the immediate success of a lot of their picks/signings. When guys succeed immediately, the organizations throws them to the wolves in a sink or swim mentality, which usually ends up well for the player.

Normally forwards who have NHL potential are either going to skip the AHL completely or spend no more than 1 to 2 years in the minor league. Defensemen generally take longer, but we seem to apply a forward mentality to them.

Though of course, it's not really fair because outside of Sbisa and Pitkanen, who both made fairly immediate impacts, there was no other real bluechip for us to patiently develop on the back-end.

Honestly, despite ourselves we may have done a real solid job patiently developing Gustafsson. I know it doesn't seem like it, but because we weren't able to rush him, he's turning into a fine young defenseman.
Definitely, Chris. Making the jump as a forward to the NHL is much easier than making the jump as a defenseman. Forwards just want to fit in at first, and then gradually become difference makers. Defenseman aren't necessarily afforded that luxury because of their importance to the team. They have much more pressure on them from the get-go.

I like Gus, but I'm not in love with how they've developed him. It seems to have worked because he appears to have an NHL future, but the constant up and down between leagues could have really screwed him up. I would prefer to either leave him down there full time or keep him up and live with the mistakes that are bound to happen with a developing guy. Injuries played a part in it, but the coaching decisions certainly didn't help.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:52 AM
ahthorne

With the first two picks, I hope they end up with both a forward and a defender. Even at 41, the talent level is pretty high. We could end up with Ristolainen + Hartman/Rychel or Nichushkin/Shinkaruk + Morin/Bigras/Bowey ...

Either way, a pair of really, really nice prospects. Feels weird having a 1st and a 2nd in consecutive drafts...

Old
05-12-2013, 11:53 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Definitely, Chris. Making the jump as a forward to the NHL is much easier than making the jump as a defenseman. Forwards just want to fit in at first, and then gradually become difference makers. Defenseman aren't necessarily afforded that luxury because of their importance to the team. They have much more pressure on them from the get-go.

I like Gus, but I'm not in love with how they've developed him. It seems to have worked because he appears to have an NHL future, but the constant up and down between leagues could have really screwed him up. I would prefer to either leave him down there full time or keep him up and live with the mistakes that are bound to happen with a developing guy. Injuries played a part in it, but the coaching decisions certainly didn't help.
Yeah, I think they ****ed around with Gus a little too much.

However, the lockout was likely the best thing that could've happened for his development. Injury aside, he was given patience because of the Flyers' inability to rush him. They were forced into that position.

I'm confident though that had they be given the ability, they would've severely stunted his growth. How they managed his development up until the lockout was a solid demonstration of that.

Another bonus we got out of this ****** year, but I'll take it.

Old
05-12-2013, 12:44 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Sbisa and Pitkanen are both quality NHL defenseman. Woywitka, drafted 27th overall, is really the only defensive "bust" we've legitimately had in over two decades.

The problem is not that we suck at developing them, but that we don't try to develop them. The fallacy created by a bunch of 2nd round pick busts like Marshall, Ratchuk, and Bodrov (the only defensemen we've blown 2nd round picks on in over a decade) is pretty alarming here. You just don't get quality players beyond the 1st. It's a crapshoot.

We've only drafted 3 defensemen in the 1st round, when the vast majority of NHL talent is taken. Out of those 3, we've hit on 2 if not 2.5 of them (Woywitka played in the league for a bit). The second round has sucked for picking defensemen, but it sucks for every team picking every position.

We have a couple wins in there though, as many as any other team anyway. Bourdon's not in the NHL right now because of concussions. You can't fault development there. Alex Picard is roughly the same as Woywitka in terms of NHL feasibility, but he was drafted later. Seidenberg is an obvious late-round win for our organization even though he ended up elsewhere. Lauridsen looks to be potentially around the Picard/Woywitka level. Gostisbehere seems like the real key.

So we're not developing any less in later rounds than most organizations. The lack of picks used on defensemen in the first round has created this fictitious image of our organization.

While I wouldn't bet the farm that we could draft a defenseman better than other organizations out there, I think we certainly could start to develop blueliners if we started using 1sts on them.
I've been trying to push this logic for a while.

There's barely a sample size when you don't draft defenseman in the 1st round. How often to dmen drafted where we usually draft defenseman pan out? It's more luck that anything.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:35 PM
kjbhockey

This team has to draft a defenseman this year. Just look at what Pitt has the done the past few years retooling their D. They could be done right scary in a few years with Poliot, Maata and Harrington. I think if all things are equal between a forward and defensemen at 11 your take the D-man. If it's a D-man at 11 don't expect them to play this year.

Old
05-12-2013, 04:58 PM
poneill27

I want

Old
05-12-2013, 07:11 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post
I want
I made this joke a while ago and I don't think anyone got it...

We could play this every time he scores

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-12-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: YT (You Tube) not IMG (image) required
Old
05-12-2013, 07:47 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
ehhhh?

Old
05-12-2013, 08:03 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Just an outside POV, but I think the Flyers would be extremely smart and savvy to trade their #11 for two mid-late firsts/early seconds. I honestly don't think there's too much difference between the defensemen likely available at 11 (Pulock, Zadorov, Nurse) and the defensemen available between 20-35 (McCoshen, Morrissey, Bowey, Theodore, Hägg). Getting two guys from the second group would probably be better than throwing all your eggs in one slightly better basket.

Old
05-12-2013, 08:07 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Just an outside POV, but I think the Flyers would be extremely smart and savvy to trade their #11 for two mid-late firsts/early seconds. I honestly don't think there's too much difference between the defensemen likely available at 11 (Pulock, Zadorov, Nurse) and the defensemen available between 20-35 (McCoshen, Morrissey, Bowey, Theodore, Hägg). Getting two guys from the second group would probably be better than throwing all your eggs in one slightly better basket.
I wouldn't be against that idea at all. I've been in favor of moving down if we felt the need to move out of the 11th spot rather than trading up.

Old
05-12-2013, 08:08 PM
kjbhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I really like Hagg's game. I agree there is not much of difference between him and a lot of the guys being talked about in the 10 to 15 game. You can't really go wrong drafting a swedish D-man at this point (OEL, Larsson, Brodin, Karlsson, Hedmen)

Old
05-12-2013, 08:08 PM
SolidSnakeUS

The question is, outside of Calgary and Columbus, who has multiple 1sts that would in that range?

Old
05-12-2013, 08:11 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
The question is, outside of Calgary and Columbus, who has multiple 1sts that would in that range?
I would think Columbus would be more likely out of the two. Calagry's in the same boat as us with having a terrible prospect pool.

Old
05-12-2013, 08:19 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I would think Columbus would be more likely out of the two. Calagry's in the same boat as us with having a terrible prospect pool.
If we could pull of the 14th and possibly the Rangers/Kings picks, that would be nice. I think if the Rags lose and so do the Wings (in each of their series'), the Rangers' pick I think would be 17th?

Closed Thread