HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Playoff Series Where The Loser Outplayed The Winner

Old
05-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

vCash: 500
Playoff Series Where The Loser Outplayed The Winner

What are the best examples you can remember of playoff series where the losing team outplayed the winning team on the aggregate? For instance, a theoretical ideal example of this might be a series where the losing team won 3 games in huge blowouts, and lost 4 very close games (all by 1 goal/in OT/etc.).

The most extreme example I can think of this is the Detroit-Anaheim series in the 1st round of the 2003 playoffs, where Detroit dominated the ice surface with the exception of Giguere's crease and goal. I've never seen one player completely punk an entire team that was otherwise dominating play quite like that. Game 1 set the tone for the rest of the series as the Wings just teed off on Giguere all game and throughout OT but only managed one goal and a post-to-post, eventually losing. A 4-0 sweep where the losing team outplayed the winning team outside of the goal is certainly a rare occurrence.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Big Phil

1993 Pens completely outclassed the Isles but lost (still can't fathom that)

2010 Montreal looked like a peewee team compared to Washington or Pittsburgh and beat them both in 7 games. It was literally just Halak saving their bacon time and time again

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:52 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

The 1990s-2000s Red Wings could probably appear in this thread a lot. They were even getting more than 37 shots per game against the Avalanche in their 1999 series.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:01 AM
DJ Man

I think the 1969 Semi-Final Series(for the Eastern Division title) was regarded a classic. The Canadiens defeated the Bruins in six games although they were outscored.

The television network managed to stretch the final four games over ten days, because they knew that the Final Series against a second-year Western Division expansion team would be a rout.

(I thought that one of my reference books would have all of the game scores, but, alas, couldn't find it.)

DJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:04 AM
reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
For instance, a theoretical ideal example of this might be a series where the losing team won 3 games in huge blowouts, and lost 4 very close games (all by 1 goal/in OT/etc.).
The '75 Buffalo/Montreal series was close to that:

1: Buf 6 Mtl 5 (ot)
2: Buf 4 Mtl 2
3: Mtl 7 Buf 0
4: Mtl 8 Buf 2
5: Buf 5 Mtl 4 (ot)
6: Buf 4 Mtl 3

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:24 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
The 1990s-2000s Red Wings could probably appear in this thread a lot. They were even getting more than 37 shots per game against the Avalanche in their 1999 series.
If a team often loses while outshooting their opponents, were they really outplaying their opponents each round or just outshooting them?

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Master_Of_Districts

2010 MTL WSH
2010 MTL PIT
2002 MTL BOS

As a Canadiens fan, these three come to mind.

Master_Of_Districts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:08 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
If a team often loses while outshooting their opponents, were they really outplaying their opponents each round or just outshooting them?
In this particular case, they were both outplaying and outshooting Colorado. I could have not mentioned the fact that they were generating that many shots, but I figured it would be vital information for the people who didn't see or don't remember that the team who had won 9-straight series would routinely outplay their elite opponents even if they didn't win the Stanley Cup every year.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:33 PM
GuineaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Maybe not in specific examples, but I think that in general outshooting a team over a sample of 4-7 games is a better sign of team performance than outscoring, barring any really significant score effects.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:37 PM
tjcurrie

One that sticks out for me is when my Stars lost to the oilers in round one '97. That should have been a 5 game series. Curtis Joseph won it on his own.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:00 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

How about the 78 Leafs/Isles series?

LeBlondeDemon10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:02 PM
donnie pfaster

Don't really remember if the Flyers may have out-played the Islanders in the Cup final series in 1980, but they were definitely robbed by the referee in the final game, since at least one, maybe even two of the goals scored by the Isles should have been waved off, as the Isles were clearly off-side on the play.

donnie pfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Evincar
HFBoards Sponsor

Vancouver-Chicago in 2011: Chicago outscored Vancouver 22-16 in the 7 games. Probably the only time an 8th seed outscored the 1 seed and lost. Its pretty rare to outscore a team and lose a series anyways.

San Jose-Calgary in 1995: San Jose won in 7 games despite getting outscored 35-26. Three of the four San Jose wins were by 1 goal (two of the games were in OT). Calgary won three games by a combined score of 20-6. Calgary outshot San Jose 258-190. San Jose won Game 7 in double OT despite getting outshot 60-30. Wade Flaherty was the Sharks goalie.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:55 PM
brec7

I'm not sure about actually OUTPLAYING, but I'm pretty sure Detroit managed to win the 1995 WCF in ~FIVE~ games in spite of only leading for something like 20 minutes in the entire series. There might be one game in the series that was the exception but I recall it being something ridiculous like that.

brec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:29 PM
tombombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Districts View Post
2010 MTL WSH
2010 MTL PIT
2002 MTL BOS

As a Canadiens fan, these three come to mind.
i remember looking up the results on afternoon shift during break for the Capitals/Habs game. I remember Ovechkin getting **** on for choking, and I remember seeing 10 shots for Ovechkin, and 12 for the entire Habs team, and the Habs winning (game 6 i believe) and thinking, 'ya, not really his fault'

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:06 AM
Big Phil

It isn't hockey, but I can't imagine any series in any sport having a greater seperation than the 1960 World Series. The Yankees lost to the Pirates in 7 games. The Yanks were in the World Series practically every year and this was no exception. They dominated the Pirates, and still lost:

Game 1 - Pirates 6-4
Game 2 - Yankees 16-3
Game 3 - Yankees 10-0
Game 4 - Pirates 3-2
Game 5 - Pirates 5-2
Game 6 - Yankees 12-0
Game 7 - Pirates 10-9

This was of course capped off by Bill Maseroski's World Series winning Home run in the 9th inning of Game 7.

This is just a World Series that would keep me up at nights if I had lost. Granted the Yankees won the next two World Series in a row, but how do you obliterate your opponent like that and lose? The Yankees outscored the Pirates 55-27. They doubled them in runs and lost! That would make me ill.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:28 AM
MadLuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
This is just a World Series that would keep me up at nights if I had lost. Granted the Yankees won the next two World Series in a row, but how do you obliterate your opponent like that and lose? The Yankees outscored the Pirates 55-27. They doubled them in runs and lost! That would make me ill.
In baseball the pitcher is a big big part of the quality of the team, so game to game you do not play with the same team vs a different team too ?

Or it just baseball had so many world series, that it would finish to happen, your outscore your opponent 2:1 and still loose.

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:35 PM
double5son10

I was just looking at the 1982 Adams semis between Montreal and Quebec. Montreal had won the division and had outpaced the Nords in the regular seasonby 27 pts. Yet the season series had actually been even, 3-3-2, which must have given the Nords a lot of confidence heading into the playoff series. Montreal absolutely dominated the series, outshooting the Nordiques in every game, often by significant margins:

game 1. 41-19 Montreal wins 5-1
game 2. 35-17 Quebec wins 3-2
game 3. 23-22 Quebec wins 2-1
game 4. 28-25 Montreal wins 6-2
game 5. 35-19 Quebec wins 3-2 in OT

Two blowout wins for Montreal, three one goal victories for Quebec. Three games where the shot margin was two-to-one in regulation in favor of Montreal and the Habs lost two of those games (Hunter scored on the only shot in OT in game 5). Dan Bouchard in those three one goal victories combined had a jaw dropping .946 save %. In the losses he was at an awful .840. Wamsley stayed consistent throughout, an .892 for the five games combined; his regular season save % was .893. Basically Quebec wins because for those three games Dan Bouchard stood on his head. In a Hockey News interview Bouchard said the best save he ever made was in the 3rd period of game 5, just catching enough of a Larry Robinson shot that was headed for the top corner with his shoulder to deflect it over the bar.

double5son10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

1967 Semi-Finals, Chicago vs Toronto.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:30 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
It isn't hockey, but I can't imagine any series in any sport having a greater seperation than the 1960 World Series. The Yankees lost to the Pirates in 7 games. The Yanks were in the World Series practically every year and this was no exception. They dominated the Pirates, and still lost:

Game 1 - Pirates 6-4
Game 2 - Yankees 16-3
Game 3 - Yankees 10-0
Game 4 - Pirates 3-2
Game 5 - Pirates 5-2
Game 6 - Yankees 12-0
Game 7 - Pirates 10-9

This was of course capped off by Bill Maseroski's World Series winning Home run in the 9th inning of Game 7.

Mantle said he cried the whole way home, as it was the only time he lost a World Series where he felt like the best team got beat. He lost five World Series in his career so it wasn't sour grapes.

Check out Game 7 if you can, it's on DVD and MLB Network shows it from time to time. It's maybe the best game ever.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:35 PM
frontsfan2005

2004 Ottawa against Toronto

The Sens dominated the Leafs on the shot clock, outshooting them every game, sometimes by a wide margin. Ed Belfour stole the show for the Leafs, and while Lalime was solid during the first six games, he let in those two very soft goals in the seventh game to seal the Sens fate.

frontsfan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 09:19 AM
KennethTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Vancouver-Chicago in 2011: Chicago outscored Vancouver 22-16 in the 7 games. Probably the only time an 8th seed outscored the 1 seed and lost. Its pretty rare to outscore a team and lose a series anyways.
That is a strange series goals for/against, indeed. Chicago won games 4 and 5 by scores of 7-2 and 5-0, which is where the goal differential in the Hawks' favor is derived from. Having watched that series, though, Chicago was angered by the loss of Brent Seabrooke in game 3 on the dirty hit from Raffi Torres, and Vancouver for whatever reason in games 4 and 5 did not compete very well at all. Other than those two games, though, Vancouver clearly outplayed Chicago.

KennethTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 09:34 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
One that sticks out for me is when my Stars lost to the oilers in round one '97. That should have been a 5 game series. Curtis Joseph won it on his own.
Cujo should appear a few times in this thread.

Guy dragged teams through rounds they had no business winning.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 11:47 PM
pdd

Detroit vs. Chicago 2013.

Chicago came in and took advantage of a tired Detroit team in Game one. Detroit then dominated the Hawks in pretty much every aspect the next three games. In the final three games, all of them were very tightly contested.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethTheGreat View Post
That is a strange series goals for/against, indeed. Chicago won games 4 and 5 by scores of 7-2 and 5-0, which is where the goal differential in the Hawks' favor is derived from. Having watched that series, though, Chicago was angered by the loss of Brent Seabrooke in game 3 on the dirty hit from Raffi Torres, and Vancouver for whatever reason in games 4 and 5 did not compete very well at all. Other than those two games, though, Vancouver clearly outplayed Chicago.
Chicago was outplaying Vancouver in Games 3-5, and the Canucks looked like the stronger team in the other games. It was a pretty evenly contested series in the end. Now if Vancouver had somehow managed to win the 2011 Cup final, that would be an example of the loser outplaying the winner.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote