HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jake Gardiner's Future

Old
05-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
Need: big star center aka Sundin type. Solution :Barkov.

How: Gardiner plus Leaf's pick for swap.

Reilly takes Gardiner's spot next year.

While it is nice to have two pmd's,it is a luxuary we can't afford while that glaring hole at center exists.No one is giving away something for nothing these days,not even the Leafs.
What?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
What?
If you could have a young potential top line center under age 23 or 2 X PMD in Gardiner and Rielly which would serve the Leafs better I believe is his point.

ie. Morgan Rielly for Ryan O' Reilly for example.

05-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
If you could have a young potential top line center under age 23 or 2 X PMD in Gardiner and Rielly which would serve the Leafs better I believe is his point.

What if I told you we have a 'Young Potential top line center under age 23' in Nazem Kadri.

Nazem Kadri 81GP 75Points (if it was a full season), much better than O'Rielly's 81GP 55points in 2011

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Interactif

Stuart Percy is going to be a key blue liner for us, if we keep both Gardiner and Rielly. I can see why Burke wanted him before Biggs in the 11 draft and why he was so high on him, RC will love a d man with the smarts and safe game Percy brings to the team.

And I recall some were not happy with the pick, these guys are value at this time of year. Stuart Percy, don't forget about him, it isn't always flash you need. It's guys with games that are not always obvious as in end to end rushes, it's safe and efficient play.

Interactif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:42 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:

I would still never consider RO'R a 1C. Not even close. But I would still consider moving one of Gardiner or Reilly for the right player. Maybe even another 1D. Suter/Seabrook type, maybe.

The Naz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Badger Mayhew

Quote:

You'd choose the puckmovers obviously. Is this even up for debate?

Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:24 PM
TMLife
#teambernier

I think I'd move our first plus gardiner for the barkov pick. I'd do it for jones, macK, drouin and barkov but that's it. Their upsides are just too high. On the other hand, if you were one of those teams would you do that trade? I wouldn't haha!

TMLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:13 PM
kesleaf

I'm surprised people are complaining about our offense right now. Our offense is not the problem. DEFENSE IS!

If you 3-4 solid lines, above average D, and a #1 goalie, you DON'T NEED A #1 CENTER.

What is the obsession with a #1C anyways? Bozak is doing okay. Kessel still put PPG with Bozak TWO YEARS IN A ROW.

Weren't we top 10 this year in goals for?

We needs to bolster our defense and we're good to go. Reimer is slowly settling in and will be our #1 for years to come.

Reilly & Gardiner will be AMAZING on our back end. A 1-2 punch of speed/puck handling at our backend.

We NEED to keep gardiner. Boston exposed our defense so bad its not even funny.

kesleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:46 PM
darrylsittler27

Clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
What?
It is nice to have 2 guys like Gardiner and Reilly but if the chance to take Barkov came up I would seriously look at it.With Reilly coming up we need that big star center to win in the East.They say he will be ready for NHL play next year.

Dont hate me,but Reilly will be better than Gardiner.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:49 PM
mikeo1

We don't need a big star centre. Get over that fetish, HFboards.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
It is nice to have 2 guys like Gardiner and Reilly but if the chance to take Barkov came up I would seriously look at it.With Reilly coming up we need that big star center to win in the East.They say he will be ready for NHL play next year.

Dont hate me,but Reilly will be better than Gardiner.
Any other grand predictions, wise one?
Who will win the Stanley cup?

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:20 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Gardiner is, and should be for the next couple of years, considered as close to untouchable as it gets.

Rielly and Gardiner are very different players and should be treated as such in their respective developments.

Jake Gardiner is a two way d with the size to make a big impact on the back end as he continues to learn (and these playoffs are making him even better IMO)

Morgan Rielly is a rush first, mobile offensive defenseman with great speed to recover (Gardiner also has this, but relies on positioning and neutral zone creativity a lot more for his offensive success)

I for one am very tired of seeing the leafs be a - 'move up the ice in a defensive pair scheme' because they do not currently have a lot of high IQ puck moving d men

People posting the propect of trading Gardiner are offside imo because of his high ceiling.

The leafs really need to consider trading either Phaneuf,Gunn or Fraser. Phaneuf being the ideal candidate in the next couple of years for the movement because of the return.

I would much rather see a d corps of rielly, gardiner, franson, gunnarson, fraser, liles and someone like Leopold (offseason UFA) than sacrifice reduced cap space on a 6.5 million dollar phaneuf and lose someone like franson, gardiner and or gunnarsson in the process. He's just not worth it IMO moving forward.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Anth93

I know I'm jumping the gun when I say this, but I think Gardiner's skillset will translate better into a #1 than Rielly.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:32 PM
darrylsittler27

The situation where we could get Barkov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
I think I'd move our first plus gardiner for the barkov pick. I'd do it for jones, macK, drouin and barkov but that's it. Their upsides are just too high. On the other hand, if you were one of those teams would you do that trade? I wouldn't haha!
I think in this years draft he may drop to 5 to 6 as Monohan may get consideration.

The team in slot 5 to 6 must need a nhl ready rushing dman and may be pressed to make the playoffs now.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Kulemon

I actually think Gardiner will be better than Rielly. Judging from what I've seen so far.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
I know I'm jumping the gun when I say this, but I think Gardiner's skillset will translate better into a #1 than Rielly.
As of now yes, but Rielly has 4 years to develop in other areas of the game (and I assume he will). So I dont know tbh.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
What if I told you we have a 'Young Potential top line center under age 23' in Nazem Kadri.

Nazem Kadri 81GP 75Points (if it was a full season), much better than O'Rielly's 81GP 55points in 2011
What if I told you we need more than one?

Keeping both Gardiner and Rielly means one will be underutilized, which is poor asset management.

05-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
I actually think Gardiner will be better than Rielly. Judging from what I've seen so far.
We have to sit on this decision for a couple of years before we trade one, because otherwise we might end up with Justin Pogge while the other team gets Tuukka Rask.

Garbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
We have to sit on this decision for a couple of years before we trade one, because otherwise we might end up with Justin Pogge while the other team gets Tuukka Rask.
Why would we ever trade one? They'll never play together, but we may have our own Pietrangelo/Shattenkirk.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:50 PM
zeke
#freewilly

more like niedermayer and leetch.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:

Keeping both Gardiner and Rielly means one will be underutilized, which is poor asset management.
You could say that with having 2 C's too.

If you have two solid pairings, one carried by gards, the other by rielly and you play both on the #1PP, I dont see the problem.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Anth93

Quote:

Oh god, you're kidding?

We're in no position to pick and choose elite talent.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:55 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:

HELL No that is not an example.

Bad bad very bad example.

I get the idea, but if Rielly goes to Colorado I want Duchene coming back even if we have to add decent pieces.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Why would we ever trade one? They'll never play together, but we may have our own Pietrangelo/Shattenkirk.
Because like I said above, keeping both ensures one will be underutilized. Shattenkirk averages 8 less minutes a game than Pietrangelo.

Garbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:57 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesleaf View Post
I'm surprised people are complaining about our offense right now. Our offense is not the problem. DEFENSE IS!

If you 3-4 solid lines, above average D, and a #1 goalie, you DON'T NEED A #1 CENTER.

What is the obsession with a #1C anyways? Bozak is doing okay. Kessel still put PPG with Bozak TWO YEARS IN A ROW. Weren't we top 10 this year in goals for?

We needs to bolster our defense and we're good to go. Reimer is slowly settling in and will be our #1 for years to come.

Reilly & Gardiner will be AMAZING on our back end. A 1-2 punch of speed/puck handling at our backend.

We NEED to keep gardiner. Boston exposed our defense so bad its not even funny.
Probably a couple of reasons. One being some people like to complain just for something to do, the other is apparently Kessel isnt scoring enough with Bozak? I guess Kessel has to be top 3 scoring in the NHL every year, to be deemed a success? Unless of course the argument is Bozak is not good defensively, which is as ridiculous as the prior statement.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote