HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlagos Blue View Post
So for you guys asking Price to go who would you replace him with?
I assume that the trade would probably involve a goalie coming back. Most teams have competent goalies without Price's pedigree that could be part of the package.

If not, I like Emery as UFA. Maybe Khudobin. Or maybe Backstrom's stock on the market takes a Vokoun-esque and he's available cheap. On the trade market, I like Hiller or Fasth. IMO the influx of goalies from overseas has oversaturated the market, this is why I think it would be tempting to kick some tires using Price as bait.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
You're one of those fans who would've wanted Patrick Roy out of town when he struggled too.

Price is 25, still a few years away from his peak and will definitely be better next year.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

This isn't a great goaltender in a slump, it's a slumping player who has never been great.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:21 PM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post

You have no idea what you are talking about.

This isn't a great goaltender in a slump, it's a slumping player who has never been great.
"Never been great" my ass. I don't get how being 7th in hart voting isn't great.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Price isn't going anywhere. He's a top 5 goalie and will be the starter in Sochi. 2 weeks of playing injured doesn't take away from that.
You say Price isn't going anywhere and give 2 reasons.

One that is not based on reality at all (top 5 goalie) since he has not performed at that level consistently and has only done it once (2010-11).

The other, for a feat he has yet to accomplish and might not even accomplish. Not only that, but that accomplishment would not even be that much of one considering what the competition is.

All in all, you are not making a good case as to why we should keep Price. The 2 things you said are untrue, might not even happen and/or irrelevant.

We should keep price because he's 25 and has a lot of experience. He has a lot of natural abilities that have not quite materialized into results but could. And even when not playing up to his potential, he has been able to offer decent performances.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
"Never been great" my ass. I don't get how being 7th in hart voting isn't great.
there's nothing remarkable about that. Patrick Roy did that in his very worst years. Patrick Roy was great.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:30 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
there's nothing remarkable about that. Patrick Roy did that in his very worst years. Patrick Roy was great.
Patrick Roy was also nearly run out of Montreal on three different occasions before you know, being run out.

It doesn't matter how good or great Price is. The city of Montreal eats and spits out goaltenders. They deserve to deal with a real headache like Marc-Andre Fleury.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Ginu

Price won't be traded because Bergevin has a lot of work to do with this defense before laying the blame on Carey Price. This D isn't built to be successful in the playoffs. This is NHL hockey, not street hockey. If defense can't stop forwards it doesn't matter which goaltender you have in the net- NHL shooters will score.

Move on.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:35 PM
CaliHab84

The amount of negativity on the TSN forums and this forum is astounding, we accomplished more then we expected this season we won the division, we made the playoffs, so what we lost. This team didn't have what it takes to go all the way anyway. It was the first year under new management. I believe carey will have a solid year next year. Maybe they should get a new goal tending coach, change his style a little bit. But to say that he isn't as good as he is portrayed is ridiculous, he just needs to figure out his mental gremlins. Ya i was upset we lost in the first round but you know what, if that call was not allowed it would be a different series. Its hockey it happens, move on.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Price won't be traded because Bergevin has a lot of work to do with this defense before laying the blame on Carey Price. This D isn't built to be successful in the playoffs. This is NHL hockey, not street hockey. If defense can't stop forwards it doesn't matter which goaltender you have in the net- NHL shooters will score.

Move on.
But the two are related, right? Allocating this cap space to goaltending and hanging on to this tradeable asset is an opportunity cost that affects the D.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:

Move on.
You should watch other games in these stanley cup series. You would realize that all teams make defensive mistakes. Some, a heck of lot more often than we did.

Last edited by Des Louise: 05-12-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old
05-12-2013, 01:40 PM
CaliHab84

We also need to factor in the Montreal factor, not alot of players can play in that city, there is so much pressure you over think and make mistakes, I bet if this team was in lets say, Seattle where there is no pressure, they would make it further. I am not saying we should move the team I am just saying Montreal hockey market is very hard on players. 24 championships tends to do that. If Carey cant get his game doesn't mean he isn't good, he just isn't good for Montreal. How many damn goalies have we gone through in the last 10 years? A lot, that's saying something.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Move on.
Without a doubt a better goaltender would have won, if not swept the Sens. There was nothing shameful about the way Montreal played . The D was good enough with not half the mistakes being shown compared to what's happening in front of Reimer and Rask.

If Bergevin is looking to create the Pittsburgh Penguins so that he can have the perfect conditions for Price, he'll be fired in the decade it will take him to do it. He needs to get on top of the goaltending dossier or he'll be run over by the growing number of people who know that the age 25 is not a statistic.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:24 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Without a doubt a better goaltender would have won, if not swept the Sens. There was nothing shameful about the way Montreal played . The D was good enough with not half the mistakes being shown compared to what's happening in front of Reimer and Rask.

If Bergevin is looking to create the Pittsburgh Penguins so that he can have the perfect conditions for Price, he'll be fired in the decade it will take him to do it. He needs to get on top of the goaltending dossier or he'll be run over by the growing number of people who know that the age 25 is not a statistic.
The Penguins score goals regardless of goaltending performance. Montreal does not.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:32 PM
CP31

Quote:
Ok if you can't admit that is a great year your clearly just a blind hater who wants him to fail.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I assume that the trade would probably involve a goalie coming back. Most teams have competent goalies without Price's pedigree that could be part of the package.

If not, I like Emery as UFA. Maybe Khudobin. Or maybe Backstrom's stock on the market takes a Vokoun-esque and he's available cheap. On the trade market, I like Hiller or Fasth. IMO the influx of goalies from overseas has oversaturated the market, this is why I think it would be tempting to kick some tires using Price as bait.
You do realise this makes next to no sense, yeah ?

The goaltender market is not only saturated, it is oversaturated, and this feller here wants to use Carey Price, a goaltender in an oversaturated market, he wants to use Price as a trading chip.

This is... the words are lacking.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
The Penguins score goals regardless of goaltending performance. Montreal does not.
That was his point... you need a stacked team with lots of offensive firepower like the pens have to be able to win game 6-5 like the pens did against us and Price this season...

Old
05-12-2013, 02:53 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
That was his point... you need a stacked team with lots of offensive firepower like the pens have to be able to win game 6-5 like the pens did against us and Price this season...
Here's an interesting fact: you hardly ever win playoff games without scoring at least three goals.

Montreal scored three goals once against Ottawa. That was the game they won.

I believe there was only four games won by less than three goals in this post-season that wasn't the incredibly low scoring St. Louis/Los Angeles series.

In other words, Price might have not ever been blown out and Montreal will would have lost the series through 2-1 games.

I mean, you can make up this magical momentum where Montreal is suddenly going to start crashing the net instead of taking shots on the far wing just because Carey Price is stopping more shots but hopefully we can live in a real world.

Montreal tried to hold on tight to a 2-0 lead into a third period and Therrien even benched Galchenyuk on the game. Again, it's rare to win games with less than three goals scored. And what did Montreal do? Only scored three goals once.

Every discussion about Price forgets that he's just one player on a team.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post

Every discussion about Price forgets that he's just one player on a team.
I disagree with that notion.

The goaltender is not just one player on a team. You can get by with a dman not playing well but it's a heck of a lot harder if it's your goalie. The goalie's play has a huge impact on the team, much more so than any other player. When Price was drafted, our insane fan base started the hype train saying that in 4-5 years, because goalies are more important, Price would be a more valuable player than Crosby. Now that Price is not performing, he's just another player on the team. A player who has the highest cap hit on the team.

Noticed how the game where we won we didn't actually need to score 3 goals ? We could have won with 2-1. The score has a huge impact on how a game plays out. If a team is down 0-4 they don't push quite as hard as if it's were 3-4.

Either way. There are huge philosophical differences in the way I view goaltending within a team concept and a lot of people here. Not saying I'm right or that you're wrong but it is the way it is. We will never agree on anything on that subject.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:59 PM
habsfanatics

I would not actively shop price, but I would listen. His comments sound like a player with a losers mentality.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:17 PM
ReppingMTL

Quote:

LOL, you're right. Our d game is as good if not better than both the leafs and Bruins.

Price had one bad game in the series. He is the only reason, we weren't swept.

Our D is abysmal.

We have one #1, one #4, a bunch of 5, 6 and 7's. We had Bouillon and Diaz playing #4 and #5. Also, Captain Kelowna playing top 3, on arguably his worst playoffs with Montreal. Give me a break.

With people like you who clearly have an agenda, I hope Price leaves this town, the first chance he gets. He will win a cup with another city before we win our next.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
You do realise this makes next to no sense, yeah ?

The goaltender market is not only saturated, it is oversaturated, and this feller here wants to use Carey Price, a goaltender in an oversaturated market, he wants to use Price as a trading chip.

This is... the words are lacking.
I'm not suggesting trading him to the highest bidder in a rational market. I'm suggesting dangling him because a team may be willing to overpay due to his name, and that finding a replacement is feasible in this market.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingMTL View Post
LOL, you're right. Our d game is as good if not better than both the leafs and Bruins.

Price had one bad game in the series. He is the only reason, we weren't swept.

Our D is abysmal.

We have one #1, one #4, a bunch of 5, 6 and 7's. We had Bouillon and Diaz playing #4 and #5. Also, Captain Kelowna playing top 3, on arguably his worst playoffs with Montreal. Give me a break.

With people like you who clearly have an agenda, I hope Price leaves this town, the first chance he gets. He will win a cup with another city before we win our next.
My agenda is winning . Your ilk wants to perpetuate silly notions by convincing each other that montreals defense is horribly porous while other D's make no mistakes .

I am not asking you to watch the entire nhl just watch Leafs-Bruins . That's a series with many scoring chances defensive breakdowns and not surprising 2 goaltenders battling tit-for-tat to outshine each other .

If you think they are playing tight defense the chance totals say otherwise. The Habs D was good enough to beat Ottawa. Switch goalies and Montreal sweeps at most it goes 5.

I am sorry you have the same agenda as the other same minded fans making up the Price excuse industry.

Last edited by Agnostic: 05-12-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old
05-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
We had a better team. And yet, he ended up with the numbers he had. Why in the heck would Corsi be the bible of all players but then, you can't talk about the most legitimate numbers for goalies?

Price is NEVER terrible. But he's often underwhelming. Based on our expectations? Probably....but again, that's because of how he was sold to us and how much money he makes. Add the Montreal market and clearly he needs to be a top 5 goalie. Not the "top 5" goalie that people think he is but don't have the numbers to prove it. A real top 5 goalie. What people are referring to as a top 5 goalie is mostly based, again, on potential.

Like I said on the out of town thread, it's crazy to hear people talk about the St.Louis system. Saying that their goalies have no merit, that the only reason why they did great is because of a strong system and a strong D. Yet....this is exactly what we wish to see Price play under. Which brings the question...the day that he does....will he ALSO have no merit for doing great? Or are we going to then say "Well, NOW you see why he wasn't going good before...". Double standards riding again?
Actually the only vezina year he had... He played under a defensive system... Coincidence ? That's the goaltending position folks.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I'm not suggesting trading him to the highest bidder in a rational market. I'm suggesting dangling him because a team may be willing to overpay due to his name, and that finding a replacement is feasible in this market.
Dangling Price in a market ripe with equally capable and competent goaltenders, options that would come by cheaper and without having to give up assets for the prospective teams.

It is... nonsensical.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
My agenda is winning . Your ilk wants to perpetuate silly notions by convincing each other that montreals defense is horribly porous while other D's make no mistakes .

I am not asking you to watch the entire nhl just watch Leafs-Bruins . That's a series with many scoring chances defensive breakdowns and not surprising 2 goaltenders battling tit-for-tat to outshine each other .

If you think they are playing tight defense the chance totals say otherwise. The Habs D was good enough to beat Ottawa. Switch goalies and Montreal sweeps at most it goes 5.

I am sorry you have the same agenda as the other same minded fans making up the Price excuse industry.
Agree 100%

Closed Thread