HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk II

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2013, 03:42 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucker101 View Post
This. I'd actually prefer a cocky attitude over the more timid, respectful players. Look at some of the core/skill players from the teams that have won lately(Dustin Brown, Drew Doughty, Patrick Kane, Brad Marchand, etc.).
on the flipside you have Datsyuk, Lidstrom, and Chara that weren't really cocky

I don't think cockiness is necessarily a good or bad thing

Old
05-12-2013, 03:52 AM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure All Day View Post
There's a difference tho, they are all insanely good, so they don't need to be cocky...

I think for fringe guys, or guys that are trying to break in, having some swagger and cockiness is definitely a benefit..

It's all in your mind, if you tell yourself you're amazing and really work at it, it's probably gunna happen
Just because someone isn't cocky, doesn't mean they aren't confident imo. Some people just have different personalities.

Cockiness can sometimes mean they are stubborn and arrogant as well, which isn't good. I think there are a ton of positives and negatives to it. I'm just playing devils advocate here though, could be a good thing, could prove to not be. I have no idea

Old
05-12-2013, 03:54 AM
Bure All Day

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Just because someone isn't cocky, doesn't mean they aren't confident imo. Some people just have different personalities.

Cockiness can sometimes mean they are stubborn and arrogant as well, which isn't good. I think there are a ton of positives and negatives to it.
As long as it doesn't get in the way of team success and mentality, it shouldn't be a problem... Only hurts when players think they're better than the team they play for... like Heatley for a while, etc. Can't win with those guys

Old
05-12-2013, 03:56 AM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure All Day View Post
As long as it doesn't get in the way of team success and mentality, it shouldn't be a problem... Only hurts when players think they're better than the team they play for... like Heatley for a while, etc. Can't win with those guys
Exactly what I wanted to say, also I think we have a veteran enough core to be able to handle a cocky kid. Not to drive it out of him, but to ensure his priorities are right.

Problems arise when you thrust them into the NHL and ask them to be a leader imo

Old
05-12-2013, 04:10 AM
Nucker101

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post

Cockiness can sometimes mean they are stubborn and arrogant as well, which isn't good. I think there are a ton of positives and negatives to it. I'm just playing devils advocate here though, could be a good thing, could prove to not be. I have no idea

That's fair. I guess it's personal preference too, as much as I hate those players I mentioned, I'd take all of them on my team(okay, maybe not Marchand lol). Just seems like the cocky skilled guys don't get intimidated by bigger opponents and big moments as much, but maybe that's just me. And especially for prospects, where a lot of them have the abilities to become NHL players but just have to gain the confidence in those abilities, IMO a cocky attitude can go a long way. Obviously you'd want to avoid the total head cases but I'd really be higher on the prospects with a good combo of competitiveness, skills work ethic, and a bit of a confident or cocky attitude.

Old
05-12-2013, 04:14 AM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucker101 View Post
That's fair. I guess it's personal preference too, as much as I hate those players I mentioned, I'd take all of them on my team(okay, maybe not Marchand lol). Just seems like the cocky skilled guys don't get intimidated by bigger opponents and big moments as much, but maybe that's just me. And especially for prospects, where a lot of them have the abilities to become NHL players but just have to gain the confidence in those abilities, IMO a cocky attitude can go a long way. Obviously you'd want to avoid the total head cases but I'd really be higher on the prospects with a good combo of competitiveness, skills work ethic, and a bit of a confident or cocky attitude.
competitiveness is a whole other trait imo, and there are plenty of cocky players that really only look out for themselves.

A cocky attitude can be a great thing for a player, but it can also be the thing that stops them from really making the next step. I think targeting fearless, competitive players should be a focus, i just think that cockiness isn't a good indication on those other aspects. A certain amount of humility is huge for being a coachable player, which also can help a ton for development.

Old
05-12-2013, 04:28 AM
Bure All Day

My point is, don't fault Petan for being cocky.. He's got a tonne of skill, and I would love for him to be a Canuck

Old
05-12-2013, 04:35 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Petan is a smurf. Based on the way this league is going with not calling the clutching and grabbing, I dont think he's going to be an effective NHLer.

Unless he's another Brendan Gallagher.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Tiranis

I just deleted a whole ton of racism, flaming, etc. If you think somebody is breaking the rules, please just report them.

Last edited by Tiranis: 05-12-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old
05-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Jovofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Petan is a smurf. Based on the way this league is going with not calling the clutching and grabbing, I dont think he's going to be an effective NHLer.

Unless he's another Brendan Gallagher.
Petan is more skilled than Gallagher was in the Dub if you ask me. And if you put him on a line with some bigger bodies who can clear space for him I don't think his size would be too big of a detriment. If Kassian develops into a consistent top 6 winger a future line of Petan-Gaunce-Kassian seems possible. Hunter Shinkaruk is only marginally bigger than Petan is and is almost guaranteed to go top 15.

That said, my preference is still to go for a size-skill combo but just trying to play Devil's advocate that it won't be a mistake if our pick ends up being Petan.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post
I'm hoping we get Lazar, but i'd be ok with Gauthier, Mantha, Horvat, Erne or Zykov.

Anyone but those 6, i will be upset, as i dont see any other forwards in our range being top 6 forwards.

All of those names should be gone by the time pick 25 rolls around. The only one I can see sneaking in that range is probably Erne, judging by the latest lists.

Nah, it will likely be between Petan, Rychel and Klimchuk. Of that group, I'd lean towards Petan for upside. Then Klimchuk.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:27 PM
nuckfan insk

any idea yet which pick will be ours in round one ?

Old
05-12-2013, 01:29 PM
SiCKNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
All of those names should be gone by the time pick 25 rolls around. The only one I can see sneaking in that range is probably Erne, judging by the latest lists.

Nah, it will likely be between Petan, Rychel and Klimchuk. Of that group, I'd lean towards Petan for upside. Then Klimchuk.
Petan is too small, Gillis wont like him. Klimchuk looked really good in U18, if i had to choose between those 3, id pick Klimchuk.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:31 PM
arsmaster

Gillis made no mention of size in his end of season press conference.

Pure fallacy.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:44 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Gillis made no mention of size in his end of season press conference.

Pure fallacy.
A fallacy that he said it or a fallacy that he's been drafting by size?

Old
05-12-2013, 01:54 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
A fallacy that he said it or a fallacy that he's been drafting by size?
That he said he Cancks need to get bigger.

Grit doesn't mean size.

We can say he drafted size last year but Mallet isn't some giant. He's 6'1".

He was drafted based on his character traits and skill set more than his size.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:56 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
That he said he Cancks need to get bigger.

Grit doesn't mean size.

We can say he drafted size last year but Mallet isn't some giant. He's 6'1".

He was drafted based on his character traits and skill set more than his size.
That's true but it's hard to find 5'7 - 5'9 guys with that much grit.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:02 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
That's true but it's hard to find 5'7 - 5'9 guys with that much grit.
Sure it is. But they exist.

Grit is about be willing to go anywhere in the ice against any opponent at any time.

Petan does this. Taking lesser skilled big players that don't go there is an issue.

If it comes down to identical players with a large size discrepancy maybe you take the big guy.

One thing a lot of these small guys say, is that their size isn't a disadvantage...they often speak to it being an advantage.

I believe I posted the highlights from the top prospects game earlier in this thread where Petan shields 6'7" Sam morin on his back side as he fend him off and scores.

These little guys when willing are just as much of a matchup nightmare as the big guys are.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:05 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Sure it is. But they exist.

Grit is about be willing to go anywhere in the ice against any opponent at any time.

Petan does this. Taking lesser skilled big players that don't go there is an issue.

If it comes down to identical players with a large size discrepancy maybe you take the big guy.

One thing a lot of these small guys say, is that their size isn't a disadvantage...they often speak to it being an advantage.

I believe I posted the highlights from the top prospects game earlier in this thread where Petan shields 6'7" Sam morin on his back side as he fend him off and scores.

These little guys when willing are just as much of a matchup nightmare as the big guys are.

Ya but can our scouts see that?

They seem to scour the OHL, NCAA and Sweden and largely ignore everywhere else.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:16 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post

I still feel there will be a good faller that we would like. Hopefully its Erne. Not sure why he dropping so much beyond that faux suspension they had going. In my mind, he is a top 15 player. Oh well, good for us!

For the 2nd list, i'd rank them: Klimchuk, Petan, Rychel. I really like Klimchuk's game.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Chubros

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan insk View Post
any idea yet which pick will be ours in round one ?
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it breaks down like this:

18th if Toronto and Detroit both advance
19th if one of those two teams advance
20th if both are eliminated in the first round

Old
05-12-2013, 02:22 PM
SiCKNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubros View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it breaks down like this:

18th if Toronto and Detroit both advance
19th if one of those two teams advance
20th if both are eliminated in the first round
i think highest we can have i pick 22.
Currently have 25, can have 22 if CHI, ANA, PIT are eliminated in 1st or 2nd round.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:23 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I still feel there will be a good faller that we would like. Hopefully its Erne. Not sure why he dropping so much beyond that faux suspension they had going. In my mind, he is a top 15 player. Oh well, good for us!

For the 2nd list, i'd rank them: Klimchuk, Petan, Rychel. I really like Klimchuk's game.
Erne would be perfect.

Has it all. Speed, compact frame, good skating, attacks the net, good shot, and competes for the puck.

I also feel we'll have a good faller, sort of hoping MTL gives us their 1st plus on their early 2nds to get our pick.

They've been known to trade up.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Erne would be perfect.

Has it all. Speed, compact frame, good skating, attacks the net, good shot, and competes for the puck.

I also feel we'll have a good faller, sort of hoping MTL gives us their 1st plus on their early 2nds to get our pick.

They've been known to trade up.
Why would Montreal bother trading up only a spot or two? The difference is certainly not a 2nd, though.
If there aren't any fallers I'd be okay with 2 2nds, though.(early + mid)

Old
05-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Chubros

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post
i think highest we can have i pick 22.
Currently have 25, can have 22 if CHI, ANA, PIT are eliminated in 1st or 2nd round.
My understanding of the system is that we will draft ahead of:

Chicago, Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Montreal, Boston, St. Louis, LA, San Jose, Ottawa, 1 of Washington/NYR (10 teams)

And Toronto and Detroit if they are able to advance

Closed Thread