HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derick Brassard

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2013, 07:24 PM
McRanger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
The powerplay is good when it runs through this guy. He is so poised, he is breaking out right in front of our eyes
Torts is putting MDZ and Girardi out there in hopes of negating Brassard.

Can't have too successful a power play. Wouldn't be fair.

Old
05-10-2013, 07:50 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
:d yey

Old
05-11-2013, 12:52 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Jeff Gorton was the Bruins interim GM during the 2006 draft. He gave some thoughts on the top players in that draft.

Quote:
Derick Brassard, C, 6-0, 172; CSR: 4, North America
58 games, 44-72-116, 92 PIMs; Drummondville (QMJHL)

Gorton's Take: "He's a terrific skater with great vision, and with the way the game is played today, he's built for that with his great speed and skill level. He's versatile -- he can play center or wing, he kills penalties, he scores goals."

Lowdown: May have more skill than anyone else in the draft, but still could be a bit of a reach at No. 5.
Read more: http://www.milforddailynews.com/spor...#ixzz2T0XeBzQY

Old
05-11-2013, 02:05 PM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Jeff Gorton was the Bruins interim GM during the 2006 draft. He gave some thoughts on the top players in that draft.

Read more: http://www.milforddailynews.com/spor...#ixzz2T0XeBzQY
Yeah he was highly touted. Look at Hockey's Future's write-up:

Quote:
History

Brassard was originally selected by the Drummondville Voltiguers in the second round of the 2003 QMJHL Midget Draft, 18th overall. Though he did not make the Drummondville out of camp his first season, only appearing in ten games in a limited role towards the end of the season, Brassard would make a big impact upon his arrival the following season. Spending much of his time alternating between the first and second lines during his first full season, Brassard was a key contributor, compiling 76 points in 69 games, playing an important offensive role alongside Montreal prospect Guillaume Latendresse during much of the season. His dominant play in his rookie season was an integral factor in his being one of seven QMJHL players to be selected to Canada’s under-18 squad.
Had he been born but a few days earlier, his rookie season would have been his draft year, however, that was not the case. Brassard came back even better in his sophomore season, looking to better his stock, and seizing the role as one of Drummondville’s top offensive players and team leaders. He was a valuable part of the squad early on, carrying the team offensively in the first several games of the season while Latendresse was battling for a spot in Montreal, but was slowed mid-season with a wrist injury, but was able to bounce back without missing a beat. While Brassard did not garner a roster spot on Canada’s World Junior team, he did get to play in the two games for Team QMJHL against the Russian Selects in November, posting multi-point efforts in both games. When all was said and done, Brassard trumped his rookie point total by a large margin, picking up 116 points in only 58 games, good enough for seventh in the league, and most among first-year eligible players. He also worked on his defensive play in the off-season, and now carries a very respectable two-way game, as has been shown in his skyrocketing draft stock.

Read HF's article on Derick Brassard.

Talent Analysis

Brassard has perhaps the greatest on-ice vision for a player in this year’s draft class. Brassard is a dynamite playmaker, well aware of his surroundings, and able to dispense lightning-quick, accurate passes at will. He also has good drive towards the net and a great wrist shot. His skating is not overly quick, but the slight Brassard is very agile. Brassard is not a very physical fore-checker but is more than willing to pay the price in order to complete a pass. His face-off work could use a bit more work, though, and he could stand to add a bit of muscle to make him tougher to move off the puck.

Future

Brassard is a great playmaking center, in a year filled with such players. He has proven that he can elevate his play when the situation is dire, and has played big in big games in the past. He projects to be a solid first-line centerman.
AND THIS ONE:

Quote:
For the seventh straight season since their entrance into the NHL fraternity, the Columbus Blue Jackets made their first selection of the NHL Entry Draft in the single digits. Joining a half-dozen blue chip first round selections that have yet to backfire on GM Doug MacLean is Drummondville center Derick Brassard, a flashy playmaker who is looked at as the eventual partner up the middle with last year’s first round selection, Gilbert Brule. In targeting Brassard as the second first-round center taken in as many years, the Jackets are hoping that their top-six forwards for the future are now set to compete in the high-paced NHL game. Brassard fits that mold, as he is quick and dynamic on the puck and makes up for a lack of size with top-flight agility and disabling speed.
followed by:

Quote:
“Once he fills out he’ll be a heckuva player.”

While that statement could have easily been applied by Jackets GM Doug MacLean to their 2005 first round selection, Gilbert Brule, the man in charge was instead referring to fellow teen center Derick Brassard.
While we're at it I found this tidbit:
Quote:
The New York Rangers brass had reason to be smiling when they left GM Place late on Saturday evening, June 24, 2006. A surprisingly good season record had left New York selecting late in the first round of the 2006 Entry Draft, so the Rangers did not expect to be able to draft an elite player with their first pick. So it was a total surprise that elite defenseman Bob Sanguinetti was still available at No. 21.
or maybe...

If anyone wants to see historical player descriptions go to www.archive.org and search HFBOARDS, it definitely funny to see what you find.

example - on Mike Mottau, circa 1998, age 20.
Quote:
HF Comments: Mike is another one of the good defensive prospects the Rangers picked up in the 1997 Draft. He has good strength for his size, and is very effective at both ends of the ice. He is regarded by scouts as a solid defenseman, who could become a good NHL player. He stars for Boston College on the blue line, and he is even regarded by many as the NCAA's premier defenseman. As a sophomore in 1997-98, Mike shared the Norman F. Dailey Memorial Award (as B.C. MVP) with Blues' prospect Marty Reasoner, and won it again in 1998-99 as a Junior. His 49 points in 1997-98 were good enough for tops in the NCAA defensemen scoring race, and he earned Second Team All-America honors. He earned First Team All-America honors in 1998-99. Mottau represented Team USA in the 1998 World Junior Championships and in the 1999 World Championships, where he was one of the top players for the US.
or

Tampa's Top Prospects:
Quote:
1. Vincent Lecavalier, C, 6-4, 190
2. Paul Mara, D, 6-4, 202
3. Mike McBain, D 6-2,
4. Pavel Kubina, D 6-3 6-3 213
5. Zac Bierk, G, 6-4, 205,
6. Mario Larocque, D 6-2 182
7. Brad Richards, LW, 6-0, 175
8. Dmitri Afanasenkov, LW, 6-1, 185
9. Eric Beaudoin, LW, 6-4 190
Richards-Brassard-Callahan anyone?

Old
05-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Oak
Hockey Connoisseur

vCash: 397
GaBorat. Thanks for that info, very interesting to read.

I gotta say I'm really impressed with this kid. His passing is incredible.

Old
05-11-2013, 10:48 PM
KreidertheGlider
MDZ for NYR Blueline

Right now, I would've traded Brassard straight up for Gaborik.

Only problem is, the sample size is small and there is small reason to believe Brassard will stay this good based on his play in CLB (Up and Down production)

Old
05-12-2013, 06:28 AM
richardsequalscup*

I tried to tell one particular poster here that Brassard was supremely talented but was on a lousy team with no supporting cast. That poster insisted on listening to his Blue Jacket buddies. I mean, let's be realistic. Fans in Columbus are not that knowledgeable and I can't blame them. They have never had a well built team to see how players with talent play on a team like that.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Capitain Midnight
Trust me, I'm a doc

This guy screams....

Marc Savard. Someone made the point earlier on and the more and more I watch him, this is who he reminds me of.

Traded early on, and finds his form.

I think you can make a strong argument for Stepan and Brassard as your 1 and 2.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by setkreiderfree View Post
I tried to tell one particular poster here that Brassard was supremely talented but was on a lousy team with no supporting cast. That poster insisted on listening to his Blue Jacket buddies. I mean, let's be realistic. Fans in Columbus are not that knowledgeable and I can't blame them. They have never had a well built team to see how players with talent play on a team like that.
Haha oh wow.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Haha oh wow.
You're surprised coming from someone with the name "setkreiderfree"?

Old
05-12-2013, 06:05 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Best player on either team in this series.

Old
05-12-2013, 06:08 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Best player on either team in this series.
Best skater

Old
05-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Zats Muccarello
Grinder

I love Brassgod.

Old
05-12-2013, 06:28 PM
MysticLeviathan

He would've had another point had Richards' fat rear hadn't been in the way. He made a brilliant no look pass to Zucc, and Richards had to screw it up. He's been absolutely brilliant. He's stepped up HUGE when we've needed him. Sather's looking to be a wizard right now with his trades.

Old
05-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

Great chemistry between Brassard and Zuccarello, and they're even trying to include old Nash

Old
05-12-2013, 08:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Brass had made me eat so much crow, it's great.

I really hope he can carry this into next year. He's taking the step into becoming a legitimate second line center.

Old
05-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Brass had made me eat so much crow, it's great.

I really hope he can carry this into next year. He's taking the step into becoming a legitimate second line center.
Stepan-Brassard-Miller

Hopefully that can be our future down the middle of the lines.

Old
05-12-2013, 08:58 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
All Praise

Last edited by RangersFan: 05-13-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old
05-12-2013, 09:15 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Stepan-Brassard-Miller

Hopefully that can be our future down the middle of the lines.
Or Lindberg instead of Miller.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Aufheben
Global Moderator
SAVE US WINNIE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Midnight View Post
Marc Savard. Someone made the point earlier on and the more and more I watch him, this is who he reminds me of.

Traded early on, and finds his form.

I think you can make a strong argument for Stepan and Brassard as your 1 and 2.
Would be similar to Bergeron-Savard. Boyle as the 4c, and a prospect as the 3c down the road.

Stepan
Brassard
Miller/Lindberg
Boyle

I like that. We'll see.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

He's going to be my next jersey purchase.

He found another gear in the playoffs, which is great to see.

05-12-2013, 09:19 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staals Eyeballs View Post
I love Brassgod.
For some reason this makes me lose it every time. So good.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:20 PM
JohnC
Dubnyk=Lundqvist

Thought I'd be sneaky trying to get an Avery jersey for dirt cheap and getting it changed to Brassard. Turns out Avery jerseys aren't THAT cheap

Old
05-12-2013, 09:27 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
For some reason this makes me lose it every time. So good.
It was the one meme that I ever started/contributed to. I hope it lasts. I still get a kick out of it even if I made it (I hate laughing at my own jokes).

Old
05-12-2013, 09:32 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL

Closed Thread