HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

All Purpose Avalanche Head Coach Discussion l Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2013, 01:11 AM
CobraAcesS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Sakic got interviewed on CBS4 tonight, they were pressing him on Roy without mentioning his name, asking if somebody with Colorado roots will come back to coach who the fans would know, and Sakic, with his dry sense of humor, said "I can't coach, I'm already doing this."
Dry sense of humor or not, that's pretty good lol. If he fell for it I would of been worried.

It's interesting that from what it seems they don't seem to be directly dismissing Roy as a coaching option. However made comments about experience, and not hiring someone from the Junior ranks.

Everything pretty much points to one of Tippet, Ruff, or Boucher, as 'experienced' guys. I don't really consider Boucher to be extremely experienced myself but he counts.

I still wonder if Eakins coaching in the 'Pro' ranks gives him the needed experience to be considered if they're serious about that. They haven't said specifically 'NHL' experience.

Ruff is probably the easiest choice (I wont think about AV until hes actually fired.), especially considering the fact that they could get him well before the draft, and he has the most experience.

Not that the Worlds are the NHL, but Ruff having to bench players in that tournament does not look good.

I really want Eakins or Tippett....

Old
05-11-2013, 01:28 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
What if they hire Granato, then fire him in two years and re hire sacco?
don't even joke about that crap! knock on wood or something!

for me it's Roy or Eakins unless AV gets canned. Tippett would be a tricky hire.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I just hope that call never gets made.
here's the link ( french ):

http://tvasports.ca/hockey/lnh/jacqu...coute-10052013

Martin is not my top choice but he got alot of experience and that's something the Avs didnt have with their HC and something they need . i'm saying that's a possibilty since he was the assistant coach in Québec in 94 and won the cup with us in 95...with Sakic as a captain , so there's a link between them and a possibility.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Yipperfan
Giggitty the goalie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post

Martin is not my top choice but he got alot of experience and that's something the Avs didnt have with their HC and something they need . i'm saying that's a possibilty since he was the assistant coach in Québec in 94 and won the cup with us in 95...with Sakic as a captain , so there's a link between them and a possibility.
Same here, I would be disapointed in a JM hire. I think he is over the hill.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

I could actually see JM being the hire. Remember Sakic and JK have to be comfortable with the hire, they couldn't care less what we think.

I mean who would have thought Elway would hire John Fox who was simply a retread. And Elway would have hired Kubiak if Houston had fired him instead of giving him an extension.

I still think Roy gets the first offer simply because his appeal extends beyond the bench. From a marketing perspective they will already have a bonanza with Seth Jones. But you add in the "Legendary St. Patrick and Super Joe" coming back to save the team. That will put butts in seats even though they aren't playing. And that is something you know they will consider and will play a factor.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post

I didn't mention JM for nothing... as you said JM was an assistant coach on a Cup-winning team with Sakic in it.

Roy could become a coach at a higher level than juniors but he should either coach the Avs' goalies or the LEM as a head coach.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:10 PM
detrude
(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
I could actually see JM being the hire. Remember Sakic and JK have to be comfortable with the hire, they couldn't care less what we think.

I mean who would have thought Elway would hire John Fox who was simply a retread. And Elway would have hired Kubiak if Houston had fired him instead of giving him an extension.

I still think Roy gets the first offer simply because his appeal extends beyond the bench. From a marketing perspective they will already have a bonanza with Seth Jones. But you add in the "Legendary St. Patrick and Super Joe" coming back to save the team. That will put butts in seats even though they aren't playing. And that is something you know they will consider and will play a factor.
It probably will be, but it shouldn't be. Using that to drive up interest would be another in a long line of failed PR. This team needs to build up the team we HAVE, not the team we HAD. Once the novelty of "Legendary St. Patrick and Super Joe reunited" wears off those butts will be gone if the results aren't there. If these guys are serious about building a winner and competing for a Cup then they need to find the best candidate that will get these guys to the next level. If that's Roy then great, but please don't float him the first offer on namesake alone.

Old
05-11-2013, 05:59 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Why did the mods remove the Boucher thread instead of just moving the posts into this thread?

It was an interesting rumour and a good discussion about it.

Old
05-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Dry sense of humor or not, that's pretty good lol. If he fell for it I would of been worried.

It's interesting that from what it seems they don't seem to be directly dismissing Roy as a coaching option. However made comments about experience, and not hiring someone from the Junior ranks.

Everything pretty much points to one of Tippet, Ruff, or Boucher, as 'experienced' guys. I don't really consider Boucher to be extremely experienced myself but he counts.

I still wonder if Eakins coaching in the 'Pro' ranks gives him the needed experience to be considered if they're serious about that. They haven't said specifically 'NHL' experience.

Ruff is probably the easiest choice (I wont think about AV until hes actually fired.), especially considering the fact that they could get him well before the draft, and he has the most experience.

Not that the Worlds are the NHL, but Ruff having to bench players in that tournament does not look good.

I really want Eakins or Tippett....
Tippet's a great coach, but for all he does well, I wouldn't consider him a "passionate" coach. He's fairly calm, analytical, and collected. The amount of times Sakic has used the word passionate to describe the next coach, kind of eliminates him IMO, even if he wasn't worried about a more defensive approach.

My guess is the leading candidates are Roy, Ruff, and Boucher, with Laviolette and Tortorella as possibilities if they are let go.

Old
05-11-2013, 06:24 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Tippet's a great coach, but for all he does well, I wouldn't consider him a "passionate" coach. He's fairly calm, analytical, and collected. The amount of times Sakic has used the word passionate to describe the next coach, kind of eliminates him IMO, even if he wasn't worried about a more defensive approach.

My guess is the leading candidates are Roy, Ruff, and Boucher, with Laviolette and Tortorella as possibilities if they are let go.
I think they just want a guy that won't stand for losing.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:27 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
It probably will be, but it shouldn't be. Using that to drive up interest would be another in a long line of failed PR. This team needs to build up the team we HAVE, not the team we HAD. Once the novelty of "Legendary St. Patrick and Super Joe reunited" wears off those butts will be gone if the results aren't there. If these guys are serious about building a winner and competing for a Cup then they need to find the best candidate that will get these guys to the next level. If that's Roy then great, but please don't float him the first offer on namesake alone.
Agreed. It shouldn't...but it will.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:15 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Pretty certain most everyone knows where I sit on this topic (Roy and Tippett are my two clear cut favorites and the more I think about it the more I believe Tippett is the right man for the job.)

For anyone wondering about Tippett, ESPN did a great article on him last year: Stranded. This is a guy that when handed rotten tomatoes can still somehow make lemonade.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Hans Landaskog

Tippet's contract expires after the draft. Sakic wants a coach in place in time for the draft. Tippet is most likely not going to happen.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Sakic said he would like to get a coach before the draft, but if Tippet is their guy I doubt that'll be much of an issue and I could see Maloney give Tippet free hands to talk with the Avs if Dave makes it clear he's not comming back as the two of them really respect each other.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:27 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
Tippet's contract expires after the draft. Sakic wants a coach in place in time for the draft. Tippet is most likely not going to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Sakic said he would like to get a coach before the draft, but if Tippet is their guy I doubt that'll be much of an issue and I could see Maloney give Tippet free hands to talk with the Avs if Dave makes it clear he's not comming back as the two of them really respect each other.
It is not unheard of for teams to give permission to other teams to talk to personnel. It's usually done with assistants getting the opportunity to be promoted to a higher level by another team. However, I'm pretty sure I've both Maloney and Tippett would prefer to stay in Phoenix but only if the ownership situation is settled. At this point, it really hasn't been settled so I would think as well as Maloney and Tippett have worked together as a team, Maloney would allow Tippett to talk to anyone in advance of his contract expiring so he could have a gig lined up for next season.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Woody Paige argues again for Gwozdecky.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_2...hen-hire-coach

Old
05-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:

Do not want.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:34 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
Quote:

I thought I read somewhere that he was already being interviewed for another college job?

Old
05-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Balls on the table!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
I thought I read somewhere that he was already being interviewed for another college job?
Yeah, UCONN is what I read.

Then there's this

Last edited by 18007: 05-12-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old
05-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

Kelly Hrudy just mentioned Eakins as a possible Avs head coach... now the cat's out of the bag

Old
05-12-2013, 09:02 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
Kelly Hrudy just mentioned Eakins as a possible Avs head coach... now the cat's out of the bag
I thought I heard something like that....didn't he say that there'd be more on the HotStove after the game? If so, someone in Canada needs to keep us informed

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
Old
05-12-2013, 09:04 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I thought I heard something like that....didn't he say that there'd be more on the HotStove after the game? If so, someone in Canada needs to keep us informed
That's what I thought I heard as well. I'll keep let people know if they say anything interesting.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:06 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
That's what I thought I heard as well. I'll keep let people know if they say anything interesting.
Yeah, I'm not expecting the NBC Sports Network to continue with the HNIC feed when this game is over

Old
05-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
He said "there's a little post HotStove for you" ... I'm not expecting anything after the game. I highly doubht Toronto media would talk about that instead of game 7.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Okay good you guys heard it too. I thought I was going crazy.

Closed Thread