HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 WJC in Sweden. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2013, 11:02 PM
  #301
TreeSapLlama
Registered User
 
TreeSapLlama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 713
vCash: 500
Question regarding Transit for any locals:

We are staying at the Radisson Blu (not with Destiny Tours)
1. There is a train going from downtown to the Main Arena by what i can tell, so that should be fine.
2. What would be the best way to get to Canada's arena (Malmo Stadion)? Bus? Taxi? Are taxi's relatively cheap in Sweden?
3. Can you rent a Bicycle? Can you get a DUI on a Bicycle in Sweden?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

TreeSapLlama is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 06:11 AM
  #302
Jonimaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lund
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
Question regarding Transit for any locals:

We are staying at the Radisson Blu (not with Destiny Tours)
1. There is a train going from downtown to the Main Arena by what i can tell, so that should be fine.
2. What would be the best way to get to Canada's arena (Malmo Stadion)? Bus? Taxi? Are taxi's relatively cheap in Sweden?
3. Can you rent a Bicycle? Can you get a DUI on a Bicycle in Sweden?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
1: The arena has its own train station called Hyllie, about a 60-100meter walk from station > Arena.
2: Taxis aren't cheap, been years since I've been to the stadion but there should definitely be busses going there.
3: You can be drunk on a bike, but if the police sees you driving like a nut, they'll stop you and give you a fine. But there's no limit to how much you can drink, you just have to show you can ride it.

Quote:
this is also very important, what is the price of beer at the games ?
If it's the same as the local team playing in the arena, around 7-8ish dollar/beer.


Last edited by Jonimaus: 03-07-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Jonimaus is online now  
Old
03-07-2013, 09:55 AM
  #303
warrenwelte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
thanks for the information on the beer prices

warrenwelte is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 02:36 PM
  #304
webnogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
It looks like Destiny Tours (and other tour companies) already have transportation to games and various non-game day activities planned out for their customers.

For those of us traveling independently from the US (just me?) and Canada, several of us are getting an email group organized to better plan our drinking in Malmo. If anyone else is interested in joining this, feel free to send me a message. Thanks!

webnogg is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 06:24 PM
  #305
jktrigger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Courtice, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Well tomorrow is a big day for me, its ankle surgery day, and I have one thing on my mind. What brands of beer do they sell in Swedish Arenas?

jktrigger is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 07:14 PM
  #306
Jonimaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lund
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktrigger View Post
Well tomorrow is a big day for me, its ankle surgery day, and I have one thing on my mind. What brands of beer do they sell in Swedish Arenas?
Mostly cheaper swedish brands, when the team that has the arena as home plays it's mostly norrlandsguld, can't remember if they have heineken or carlsberg too. But all the brands they sell there are better than the crap they sell in USA.

Jonimaus is online now  
Old
03-12-2013, 07:32 PM
  #307
Franck
Insolent Upstart
 
Franck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,888
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
You can be drunk on a bike, but if the police sees you driving like a nut, they'll stop you and give you a fine. But there's no limit to how much you can drink, you just have to show you can ride it.
Actually, bicycles are covered by the same laws as cars and the same legal limit applies. The drunk driving legislation applies to all vehicles, from cars and motorcycles to bicycles and lawnmowers.

Of course in practice the police won't spend much time looking for drunk bicyclists, so you'd have to be absolutely ****faced to get stopped and fined for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktrigger View Post
Well tomorrow is a big day for me, its ankle surgery day, and I have one thing on my mind. What brands of beer do they sell in Swedish Arenas?
Given the relationship they have with the Swedish Hockey Federation, Falcon is likely to be the beer offered. It's a local Swedish brand and it is absolute garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
Are taxi's relatively cheap in Sweden?
Swedish taxis are prohibitively expensive. Avoid using them at all costs.


Last edited by Franck: 03-12-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Franck is online now  
Old
03-12-2013, 09:00 PM
  #308
Jonimaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lund
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Actually, bicycles are covered by the same laws as cars and the same legal limit applies. The drunk driving legislation applies to all vehicles, from cars and motorcycles to bicycles and lawnmowers.

Of course in practice the police won't spend much time looking for drunk bicyclists, so you'd have to be absolutely ****faced to get stopped and fined for it.
You'll have to quote a source because everything I've read says what I wrote: Unless you're being a danger in traffic or showing you can't controll the bike, you're good to go. If you wiggle around on the bike they'll take you.

Jonimaus is online now  
Old
03-13-2013, 04:28 AM
  #309
Franck
Insolent Upstart
 
Franck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,888
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
You'll have to quote a source because everything I've read says what I wrote: Unless you're being a danger in traffic or showing you can't controll the bike, you're good to go. If you wiggle around on the bike they'll take you.
When I did my drivers licence 2 years ago that was what I was told during my lessons. You're not allowed to operate any vehicle while above the legal limit.

Franck is online now  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:55 PM
  #310
HugeMidget
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
For other people travelling to Malmo from outside Sweden, any suggestions on where to stay? At the moment my buddies and I are looking at either Park Inn Malmo or Elite Plaza.

HugeMidget is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 03:44 PM
  #311
jktrigger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Courtice, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeMidget View Post
For other people travelling to Malmo from outside Sweden, any suggestions on where to stay? At the moment my buddies and I are looking at either Park Inn Malmo or Elite Plaza.
As i'm also not from Malmo, I can't honestly say which is the better. However after spending a couple of months reading reviews from different sources, watching videos & making a few phone calls. we booked the Elite Hotel Savoy. It is directly across from the train station.We did look to book the Elite Plaza, but they didn't have single beds, as I'm going with a group of guys I really didn't want to share a bed with a Buddy for 10 days. We were thinking of park inn also, but found it was a bit off the beaten trail. We got a decent deal with hotline.com we paid about $1600. for flight and hotel, departing Toronto on Dec 28th. I,m sure where ever you guys choose to stay this will be an awesome adventure. GO CANADA GO!!!

jktrigger is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 08:03 AM
  #312
welshrangersfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Wales
Posts: 90
vCash: 500
I can't wait for this now. Got tickets to the Semis, Bronze and Gold games. Two tickets to each match cost me under £100 in total. Phenomenal value. The semi tickets are row 1 against the glass too, which just adds to the excitement for me. Looking forward to seeing some top class hockey and meeting a few of you Canadians/US based fans over a pint

welshrangersfan is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 10:59 PM
  #313
jktrigger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Courtice, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Attention all Team Canada Fans. Little reminder, don't forget to pack a few bottles of Clamato. I'll bring the spices.

jktrigger is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 03:33 PM
  #314
warrenwelte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
probably going to need some chicken wings too

warrenwelte is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 06:28 PM
  #315
jktrigger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Courtice, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
see you in Malmo in 247 sleeps and counting. Still looking for a new years party. any of you malmonians have any suggestions, we're open to them.

jktrigger is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 10:53 PM
  #316
jktrigger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Courtice, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
WJC Teams not chosen yet, But Malmo Radio Station is, Malmo 106.1 Classic Rock Station. Flying home to Toronto via KLM through Amsterdam. Anybody wanna come have fun?

jktrigger is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 07:53 AM
  #317
bottomofthefoodchain
Registered User
 
bottomofthefoodchain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,283
vCash: 500
Advice: if taking a cab, make sure you use a known and respectable company (I don't know what's what in Malmö) or you may get fleeced. Taxi drivers are allowed to charge whatever they want. God knows I've been hustled plenty of times after a couple of beers

bottomofthefoodchain is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 08:39 AM
  #318
Harikkerk
Registered User
 
Harikkerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
Let's play some hockey in the ghetto, rofl

Harikkerk is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 09:47 AM
  #319
andersej
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktrigger View Post
see you in Malmo in 247 sleeps and counting. Still looking for a new years party. any of you malmonians have any suggestions, we're open to them.
I don't know about Malmö, but New Year's in Copenhagen is pretty big. I would recommend staying away from the Town Hall Square if you are particularly fond of your extremities and your sense of sight and hearing. The Town Hall Square is packed with tens of thousands of insanely drunk people with a huge array of fireworks. Quite a dangerous combination.

andersej is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 01:25 PM
  #320
Jonimaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lund
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Advice: if taking a cab, make sure you use a known and respectable company (I don't know what's what in Malmö) or you may get fleeced. Taxi drivers are allowed to charge whatever they want. God knows I've been hustled plenty of times after a couple of beers
Ask how much they charge to go wherever you want to go, or take it with the taxa-meter. You'll have to be a ****** to get scammed by a cab.

Jonimaus is online now  
Old
05-12-2013, 02:02 PM
  #321
bottomofthefoodchain
Registered User
 
bottomofthefoodchain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
Ask how much they charge to go wherever you want to go, or take it with the taxa-meter. You'll have to be a ****** to get scammed by a cab.
Of course you take it with the taxa-meter They don't all run the same though

bottomofthefoodchain is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 02:05 PM
  #322
Jonimaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lund
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Of course you take it with the taxa-meter They don't all run the same though
It's hardly of course. At least 25% of the time you'll get a cheaper deal if you make up the price before you go.

Seriously, poor guy.

Jonimaus is online now  
Old
05-12-2013, 02:05 PM
  #323
bottomofthefoodchain
Registered User
 
bottomofthefoodchain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
It's hardly of course. At least 25% of the time you'll get a cheaper deal if you make up the price before you go.

Seriously.
And 90% they will not let you do that, so yeah.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 02:06 PM
  #324
Jonimaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lund
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
And 90% they will not let you do that, so yeah.
Maybe I am the luckiest person alive when it comes to cabs then. Go me!

Jonimaus is online now  
Old
05-12-2013, 02:08 PM
  #325
bottomofthefoodchain
Registered User
 
bottomofthefoodchain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
Maybe I am the luckiest person alive when it comes to cabs then. Go me!
Yeah, or maybe that's just how it works in a town with 20 cars

bottomofthefoodchain is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.