HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 WJC in Sweden. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 11:02 PM
TreeSapLlama

vCash: 500
Question regarding Transit for any locals:

We are staying at the Radisson Blu (not with Destiny Tours)
1. There is a train going from downtown to the Main Arena by what i can tell, so that should be fine.
2. What would be the best way to get to Canada's arena (Malmo Stadion)? Bus? Taxi? Are taxi's relatively cheap in Sweden?
3. Can you rent a Bicycle? Can you get a DUI on a Bicycle in Sweden?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Old
03-07-2013, 06:11 AM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
Question regarding Transit for any locals:

We are staying at the Radisson Blu (not with Destiny Tours)
1. There is a train going from downtown to the Main Arena by what i can tell, so that should be fine.
2. What would be the best way to get to Canada's arena (Malmo Stadion)? Bus? Taxi? Are taxi's relatively cheap in Sweden?
3. Can you rent a Bicycle? Can you get a DUI on a Bicycle in Sweden?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
1: The arena has its own train station called Hyllie, about a 60-100meter walk from station > Arena.
2: Taxis aren't cheap, been years since I've been to the stadion but there should definitely be busses going there.
3: You can be drunk on a bike, but if the police sees you driving like a nut, they'll stop you and give you a fine. But there's no limit to how much you can drink, you just have to show you can ride it.

Quote:
this is also very important, what is the price of beer at the games ?
If it's the same as the local team playing in the arena, around 7-8ish dollar/beer.

Last edited by Jonimaus: 03-07-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old
03-07-2013, 09:55 AM
warrenwelte

thanks for the information on the beer prices

Old
03-07-2013, 02:36 PM
webnogg

It looks like Destiny Tours (and other tour companies) already have transportation to games and various non-game day activities planned out for their customers.

For those of us traveling independently from the US (just me?) and Canada, several of us are getting an email group organized to better plan our drinking in Malmo. If anyone else is interested in joining this, feel free to send me a message. Thanks!

Old
03-12-2013, 06:24 PM
jktrigger

Well tomorrow is a big day for me, its ankle surgery day, and I have one thing on my mind. What brands of beer do they sell in Swedish Arenas?

Old
03-12-2013, 07:14 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktrigger View Post
Well tomorrow is a big day for me, its ankle surgery day, and I have one thing on my mind. What brands of beer do they sell in Swedish Arenas?
Mostly cheaper swedish brands, when the team that has the arena as home plays it's mostly norrlandsguld, can't remember if they have heineken or carlsberg too. But all the brands they sell there are better than the crap they sell in USA.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
You can be drunk on a bike, but if the police sees you driving like a nut, they'll stop you and give you a fine. But there's no limit to how much you can drink, you just have to show you can ride it.
Actually, bicycles are covered by the same laws as cars and the same legal limit applies. The drunk driving legislation applies to all vehicles, from cars and motorcycles to bicycles and lawnmowers.

Of course in practice the police won't spend much time looking for drunk bicyclists, so you'd have to be absolutely ****faced to get stopped and fined for it.

Quote:
Given the relationship they have with the Swedish Hockey Federation, Falcon is likely to be the beer offered. It's a local Swedish brand and it is absolute garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
Are taxi's relatively cheap in Sweden?
Swedish taxis are prohibitively expensive. Avoid using them at all costs.

Last edited by Franck: 03-12-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old
03-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Actually, bicycles are covered by the same laws as cars and the same legal limit applies. The drunk driving legislation applies to all vehicles, from cars and motorcycles to bicycles and lawnmowers.

Of course in practice the police won't spend much time looking for drunk bicyclists, so you'd have to be absolutely ****faced to get stopped and fined for it.
You'll have to quote a source because everything I've read says what I wrote: Unless you're being a danger in traffic or showing you can't controll the bike, you're good to go. If you wiggle around on the bike they'll take you.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:28 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
You'll have to quote a source because everything I've read says what I wrote: Unless you're being a danger in traffic or showing you can't controll the bike, you're good to go. If you wiggle around on the bike they'll take you.
When I did my drivers licence 2 years ago that was what I was told during my lessons. You're not allowed to operate any vehicle while above the legal limit.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:55 PM
HugeMidget

For other people travelling to Malmo from outside Sweden, any suggestions on where to stay? At the moment my buddies and I are looking at either Park Inn Malmo or Elite Plaza.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:44 PM
jktrigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeMidget View Post
For other people travelling to Malmo from outside Sweden, any suggestions on where to stay? At the moment my buddies and I are looking at either Park Inn Malmo or Elite Plaza.
As i'm also not from Malmo, I can't honestly say which is the better. However after spending a couple of months reading reviews from different sources, watching videos & making a few phone calls. we booked the Elite Hotel Savoy. It is directly across from the train station.We did look to book the Elite Plaza, but they didn't have single beds, as I'm going with a group of guys I really didn't want to share a bed with a Buddy for 10 days. We were thinking of park inn also, but found it was a bit off the beaten trail. We got a decent deal with hotline.com we paid about $1600. for flight and hotel, departing Toronto on Dec 28th. I,m sure where ever you guys choose to stay this will be an awesome adventure. GO CANADA GO!!!

Old
03-21-2013, 08:03 AM
welshrangersfan

I can't wait for this now. Got tickets to the Semis, Bronze and Gold games. Two tickets to each match cost me under £100 in total. Phenomenal value. The semi tickets are row 1 against the glass too, which just adds to the excitement for me. Looking forward to seeing some top class hockey and meeting a few of you Canadians/US based fans over a pint

Old
03-31-2013, 10:59 PM
jktrigger

Attention all Team Canada Fans. Little reminder, don't forget to pack a few bottles of Clamato. I'll bring the spices.

Old
04-01-2013, 03:33 PM
warrenwelte

probably going to need some chicken wings too

Old
04-24-2013, 06:28 PM
jktrigger

see you in Malmo in 247 sleeps and counting. Still looking for a new years party. any of you malmonians have any suggestions, we're open to them.

Old
05-11-2013, 10:53 PM
jktrigger

WJC Teams not chosen yet, But Malmo Radio Station is, Malmo 106.1 Classic Rock Station. Flying home to Toronto via KLM through Amsterdam. Anybody wanna come have fun?

Old
05-12-2013, 07:53 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Advice: if taking a cab, make sure you use a known and respectable company (I don't know what's what in Malmö) or you may get fleeced. Taxi drivers are allowed to charge whatever they want. God knows I've been hustled plenty of times after a couple of beers

Old
05-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Harikkerk

Let's play some hockey in the ghetto, rofl

Old
05-12-2013, 09:47 AM
andersej

Quote:
see you in Malmo in 247 sleeps and counting. Still looking for a new years party. any of you malmonians have any suggestions, we're open to them.
I don't know about Malmö, but New Year's in Copenhagen is pretty big. I would recommend staying away from the Town Hall Square if you are particularly fond of your extremities and your sense of sight and hearing. The Town Hall Square is packed with tens of thousands of insanely drunk people with a huge array of fireworks. Quite a dangerous combination.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Advice: if taking a cab, make sure you use a known and respectable company (I don't know what's what in Malmö) or you may get fleeced. Taxi drivers are allowed to charge whatever they want. God knows I've been hustled plenty of times after a couple of beers
Ask how much they charge to go wherever you want to go, or take it with the taxa-meter. You'll have to be a ****** to get scammed by a cab.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:02 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Ask how much they charge to go wherever you want to go, or take it with the taxa-meter. You'll have to be a ****** to get scammed by a cab.
Of course you take it with the taxa-meter They don't all run the same though

Old
05-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Of course you take it with the taxa-meter They don't all run the same though
It's hardly of course. At least 25% of the time you'll get a cheaper deal if you make up the price before you go.

Seriously, poor guy.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:05 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
It's hardly of course. At least 25% of the time you'll get a cheaper deal if you make up the price before you go.

Seriously.
And 90% they will not let you do that, so yeah.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
And 90% they will not let you do that, so yeah.
Maybe I am the luckiest person alive when it comes to cabs then. Go me!

Old
05-12-2013, 02:08 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Maybe I am the luckiest person alive when it comes to cabs then. Go me!
Yeah, or maybe that's just how it works in a town with 20 cars

Closed Thread