HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXVI

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Hans Landaskog

vCash: 50
You guys have a lot of faith in our "winger depth" which we don't have. PAP and Lando are the only legit ones, unless McGinn bounces back like he did right after the trade. Downie is fine on the 2nd or third line. We need another 1st line winger. I guess Stastny could work. I'd go with this though.

Stastny - Duchene - PAP
Lando - ROR - Downie
McGinn - Sgar - Jones(ugh)
McLeod - Malone - Bords

Old
05-11-2013, 11:23 PM
cgf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Quite true, good post.

I could also see Downie working on Duchy's left side.
Yeah, Downie's more of a passing option while McGinn's more the speedy shooting option. I like McPing with Dutchy and PAP and Downie with Landy and ROR. Just need some guys around Staz so we're not relying on Jones to stay sober and hot on that line.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:55 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Yeah, Downie's more of a passing option while McGinn's more the speedy shooting option. I like McPing with Dutchy and PAP and Downie with Landy and ROR. Just need some guys around Staz so we're not relying on Jones to stay sober and hot on that line.
Didn't Downie occasionally play with Stamkos and MSL? Almost the exact same styles as Duchy and PAP if so.

Downie is tougher than McGinn and would look out for Duchy better. I don't know why, but McGinn lost his physicality since he arrived and it really disappoints me.

I agree with Staz, I think Sgarbossa could provide some of that to be honest. But Palushaj played well with him too. I also still have some faith in Olver. Plus Hejduk may be back. Not exactly great linemates... but it'll have to do for EVS, PP Staz still thrives.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Dutchy is the only center Landy's not a perfect fit with. McPing is just fine playing there, he has the speed to keep up with Duchene, and the physicality to give that line some sandpaper. If his puck luck doesn't suck he'll even chip in goals with that nice wrister without needing the puck to be really effective.
I disagree. I thought he looked good with Dutchy when the season first started.

The center that I thought he didn't necessarily click as well with was Stastny, and I was a little surprised at that, because I thought he'd play very well with him. That said, most of the season was a tough one for Landy personally, because I never felt like he was full the same after that concussion.

Whether he was still in a bit of a daze, or just the fact that many players have alluded to before, that not being able to train while you have a concussion really sets you back, and it takes some guys a long time before they feel normal on the ice again. I think EJ suffered from the same thing too.

I'm hoping the summer lay off, and a full training camp and pre season will help get them back to 100%.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:05 AM
avsfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
You guys have a lot of faith in our "winger depth" which we don't have. PAP and Lando are the only legit ones, unless McGinn bounces back like he did right after the trade. Downie is fine on the 2nd or third line. We need another 1st line winger. I guess Stastny could work. I'd go with this though.

Stastny - Duchene - PAP
Lando - ROR - Downie
McLeod - Malone - Bords
I'd go with these lines too, if people want 3 scoring lines with centers I think Sgarbossa could do a decent job being that third threat center. He's succeeded at every level he's played at, no reason to think he wouldn't at the nhl yet.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:34 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

I dunno I thought Staz and Landy were starting to find chemistry together when ROR came back. Then it became inevitable that Sacco would reunite them.

Interesting thought...What if Sakic talks Hejduk into coming back...

Old
05-12-2013, 04:34 AM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
Interesting thought...What if Sakic talks Hejduk into coming back...
Please god no. He'd be fine in a 4th line defensive roll, but not in any scoring roll(except maybe on the PP).

Old
05-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Bensch88

Quote:

Stastny - Duchene - PAP
Lando - ROR - Downie
McLeod - Malone - Bords

Looks very good for me. That first line has some goals in it.

Old
05-12-2013, 08:43 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:

Stastny - Duchene - PAP
Lando - ROR - Downie
McLeod - Malone - Bords
I'd rather not have Sgarbossa as a full time center. What happened to Mitchell?

Old
05-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:

Stastny - Duchene - PAP
Lando - ROR - Downie
McLeod - Malone - Bords
That bottom 6 sure doesn't look too good, I suspect other teams would pretty much focus their entire gameplan on getting their best lines out against those 6 guys.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
That bottom 6 sure doesn't look too good, I suspect other teams would pretty much focus their entire gameplan on getting their best lines out against those 6 guys.
This is the inherent dilemma out team faces. If we stretch ourselves too thin we let Staz suffer offensively, if we try to combine his game on the top six lines then we let our bottom six starve.

I don't think it is fair the way people criticize Staz when they don't see the big picture, we need all three centers to be successful as a team.

However, were we to stack the lines I would be perfectly fine with them that way if we added a McClement type to help out defensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
I'd rather not have Sgarbossa as a full time center. What happened to Mitchell?
Would like to see him at wing some next season next to Staz.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:
However, were we to stack the lines I would be perfectly fine with them that way if we added a McClement type to help out defensively.
Agreed, I would be on board for this. I think it would be preferable to overpaying another winger considering everyone's contract status going into next year's offseason.

Wish we still had McClement/Winnik/Gali.

I would have been fine with something like

Downie - Duchene - PAP
Landeskog - ROR - Stastny
Mcginn - McClement - Winnik

As opposed to something like Mcginn - Mitchell - Jones with our current roster.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Avs71

Anyone else feel like the Avs will still consider Hunwick a major piece going forward? And by major piece I mean a defenceman who is playing around 20 minutes a night.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

There aren't too many great options on the FA market when it comes to defensively sound forwards save for Gordon and Lapierre and I hate Max's guts.

The trade market doesn't look too good either.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
There aren't too many great options on the FA market when it comes to defensively sound forwards save for Gordon and Lapierre and I hate Max's guts.

The trade market doesn't look too good either.
Shot in the dark, but Lombardi used to be really good in that role before his concussion. Regin is UFA. Kennedy is likely to be let go. Sharks are hardly using Burish.

It may sound crazy, but I think Andrew Murray could be a good fourth line center pickup. He's pretty consistently drawn more than he takes and finishes offensively more than he's started.

Plus there's always Dom Moore.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:50 AM
benzino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Anyone else feel like the Avs will still consider Hunwick a major piece going forward? And by major piece I mean a defenceman who is playing around 20 minutes a night.
Management might but the new coach could disagree.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Shot in the dark, but Lombardi used to be really good in that role before his concussion. Regin is UFA. Kennedy is likely to be let go. Sharks are hardly using Burish.

It may sound crazy, but I think Andrew Murray could be a good fourth line center pickup. He's pretty consistently drawn more than he takes and finishes offensively more than he's started.

Plus there's always Dom Moore.
Don't know about Lombardi, but I know Regin has been bloody awful this season, Kennedy isn't all that good (Cooke is the guy from the Pens I'd target despite his history), Burish is probably the worst Shark this season and he has a ridiculous contract for a guy of his value and I don't see Moore coming here after that sad fiasco involving the Avs and his brother.

Guys I would target are Goc and Fiddler.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Those two aren't going anywhere, they both are in good situations on teams that need them. Burish may have been bad, but I'd still give him a shot if he's a cheap pickup. Can't be worse than Mitchell as 4th center. Kennedy would be a decent pickup too, but maybe a bit more expensive than 4th line.

As for Dom.... who knows. He or Lombardi would be good pickups imo, if we could move Mitchell.

But with Mitchell I don't see us doing anything as far as picking up a free agent center. Sadly.

Heard will be on this team in a couple years, Sgarbossa might make it as a center... it's just a shame because personally while I'd like a 4th line defensive center, I'd also like to see all three of our centers still on the PK regularly too, they all do so well at it.

Old
05-12-2013, 12:58 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Hell no. A new coach will see that he's useful strictly as a bottom pairing guy.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:19 PM
CB Joe

Quote:
Depends on what other defensemen are brought in. If we keep the same group with no changes, then yes. I wouldn't expect much to change.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Quite true, good post.

I could also see Downie working on Duchy's left side.
Yup, this has been my thought.

Downie-Duchene-PAP
Lando-ROR-Jones
McGinn-Staz-Sgarby/FA
McLeod-Mitchell/FA-Vincour/Olver/Mitchell/Bordy/Malone

Old
05-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Top 6 Spaling

How would you all rate your defenseman for next year only (not potential, just how good they will be this coming year).

I know EJ is first, but I don't know a whole lot about Hejda, Wilson, Zanon, Barrie, Elliot, or Hunwick.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:06 PM
avsfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
How would you all rate your defenseman for next year only (not potential, just how good they will be this coming year).

I know EJ is first, but I don't know a whole lot about Hejda, Wilson, Zanon, Barrie, Elliot, or Hunwick.
EJ
Barrie
Hejda
Hunwick
Wilson
Elliot
zanon

Old
05-12-2013, 02:12 PM
CB Joe

Quote:

They are all depth defensemen at this point.

Hejda can be thrown in with one of the youngsters(Barrie/Elliott) for an ok pairing.

One of Elliott/Barrie will likely stick with the team this year. Which ever one does will probably have a bit of a break out season. I'm thinking 30-40pts.

Wilson is talented but often injured and not a great skater by any means.

Hunwick is a great skater, but doesn't understand the game well. He's best used as a depth defensemen.

Zanon can't do anything but get hit by pucks. He should be a reserve defensemen.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Avs71

Quote:

#1- No one
#2- EJ
#3- No one
#4- Barrie/Hejda
#5- Wilson/Elliott/Hunwick
#6- Zanon/O'Brien

With the hope that under a new coach EJ moves up to being a bonafide #1 (finds his offensive game again), Barrie or Elliott moves up to being a good 2nd pairing guy (~40 points, weak to average defensively). Then the rest are pretty much on the decline. Wilson could maybe improve, but he gets hurt before he can ever string together a bunch of good games.

Last edited by Avs71: 05-12-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Closed Thread