HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Smyth: The most useless player on the team

Old
05-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Thanks for contributing nothing to the boards but your angst. Yet another "Player X sucks" post.

Perhaps it would be more useful to point out why you think smyth is no longer an NHL player.

This season, he scored 13 pts in 47 games, with a -5. He played on the PK and also had to play out of position at centre for a stretch of games. Is that his fault? No, he's not a centre but he played it anyways because the Oiler management was too idiotic to find a replacement.

By Comparison, Teemu Hartikainen played in 23 games, scored 3 pts and was a -8. Who's the more useless player?

Ben Eager scored 2 pts in 14 games and was a -14.
Young centre Anton Lander scored 1 pt in 11 games and was -4.

I'm not saying that Smyth was all that good, but he was clearly better than any of these other options.
This is absolutely true, and should absolutely explain the season. Though, in Lander's defense, he might have been better if he didn't break his foot right when he would have had a chance to play regular minutes.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:48 PM
TarTransition

vCash: 500
You guys were all praying he would make it here when the deal with LA was going sour. He's the kind of guy you put on a 3rd or 4rth line and let him provide leadership. You think the Oil is losing cause Ryan is playing on our team?!!! Yea, wait till he goes to Detroit and they win games. He bleeds oil and that's infectious to the young guys. Let him play another year an give him respect.

TarTransition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:50 PM
TarTransition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarTransition View Post
You guys were all praying he would make it here when the deal with LA was going sour. He's the kind of guy you put on a 3rd or 4rth line and let him provide leadership. You think the Oil is losing cause Ryan is playing on our team?!!! Yea, wait till he goes to Detroit and they win games. He bleeds oil and that's infectious to the young guys. Let him play another year an give him respect.
I forgot to add an explanation point to that last post, so here is a few to make up for it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

TarTransition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:04 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
He scored less goals all year than brian McGratton.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Roof Daddy

If he accepts a lesser role where he is purposely scratched in back to back games (because he'll be gassed otherwise), then maybe he can still be an effective 4th liner, but I saw a ton of lazy penalties from this guy last year. Way too many of the 200 ft variety. That ends or the guy is press box material all year.

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Krut

I thought that his game as a 4th liner got somewhat better as the season went on, but he has no business playing any more than 10 mins a night, and needs to be scratched from time to time.

If he plays again I think he can be somewhat useful if used properly, but Krueger simply can't fall in love with him again the way he did last season.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
I thought that his game as a 4th liner got somewhat better as the season went on, but he has no business playing any more than 10 mins a night, and needs to be scratched from time to time.

If he plays again I think he can be somewhat useful if used properly, but Krueger simply can't fall in love with him again the way he did last season.
His best game of the year was the last game of season against Canucks, he had one other game he looked like a NHL player , rest of season from pathetic to out right sad.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:38 PM
oilerbear

Quote:
Thanks for contributing nothing to the boards but your angst. Yet another "Player X sucks" post.

Perhaps it would be more useful to point out why you think smyth is no longer an NHL player.

This season, he scored 13 pts in 47 games, with a -5. He played on the PK and also had to play out of position at centre for a stretch of games. Is that his fault? No, he's not a centre but he played it anyways because the Oiler management was too idiotic to find a replacement.

By Comparison, Teemu Hartikainen played in 23 games, scored 3 pts and was a -8. Who's the more useless player?

I'm not saying that Smyth was all that good, but he was clearly better than any of these other options.
If you go to the site that shows how you perform with each player.

Something becomes obvious.

ryan smyth was a 9 even point -26 season player with Brown, Pettrell, Eager.

He was a 32 even point +6 season player with everyone else.

MacT said we need bottom six that contribute!

what we do not need is three players who are such goal differential black holes they turn the fan base on a a real hockey player.

with mike brown he played 15 games (175.25 min) of even;
they were 2GF 9 GA on pace for -42 together.

Smyth was a plus player and a 39 th ranked even point pace for LW without the bad 3.

Smyth was the 24th best LW for even points last year.

So all you experts.

Is smyth the top 20 PK winger who was a top 40-25 ranked LW @ even with real players.

or is he the 9 point -26 player he was with Brown, Pettrell, Eager.

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Qrispy

lol advanced stats.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:37 PM
oilers83

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post

what we do not need is three players who are such goal differential black holes they turn the fan base on a a real hockey player.

Smyth was a plus player and a 39 th ranked even point pace for LW without the bad 3.

So all you experts.

Is smyth the top 20 PK winger who was a top 40-25 ranked LW @ even with real players.

Or you could watch the games and realize he can't skate, barely hits, and plays die on his stick.

Where are your stats for that?

oilers83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:38 PM
AM

I was actually happy with Smyths play.

I thought he showed a lot of guts and leadership and did what he could do.

I don't really buy the bad line mates rap, seems abit like cherry picking results but with a little more chemistry between those 4 (minus Eagar who failed chemistry) I think they may be ok.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:04 AM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers83 View Post
Or you could watch the games and realize he can't skate, barely hits, and plays die on his stick.

Add in that he took an inexcusable amount of weak penalties in the offensive end. He was lifted by better players to build his stats, and was shown for his worth playing on the fourth line.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:

So all you experts.

LOLOLOLOL

I was laughing the entire time i read this dribble of a mess. This is why "advanced stats" and stats guys are terrible at hockey. This is what happens when you're at a game staring into a piece of paper and your ipad all game.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Time to hang em up Ryan.

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Ryan Smyth ranked 437th amongst NHL players for goals scored last year, and 652nd amongst NHL players for plus/minus.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...vid=nhl-search

These are stats you won't find in oilerbear's post.

How many goals has Ryan Smyth scored in his last 82 games? I count 5.

Ryan Smyth's production cratered on this hockey team long before Mike Brown came along. There is no correlation between Brown's presence on this team, and Smyth's lack of production.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers83 View Post

I'm not an advanced stats guy, just a basic stats guy (or boxcars as LT would say).

I'll just repeat what I stated earlier in this thread.

This season, Smyth scored 13 pts in 47 games, with a -5. He played on the PK and also had to play out of position at centre for a stretch of games. Is that his fault? No, he's not a centre but he played it anyways because the Oiler management was too idiotic to find a replacement.

If you think that Smyth should retire, then what excuse is there for Lander, Hartikainen, and Eager?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Hitchslap

Quote:
I'm not an advanced stats guy, just a basic stats guy (or boxcars as LT would say).

This season, Smyth scored 13 pts in 47 games, with a -5. He played on the PK and also had to play out of position at centre for a stretch of games. Is that his fault? No, he's not a centre but he played it anyways because the Oiler management was too idiotic to find a replacement.

If you think that Smyth should retire, then what excuse is there for Lander, Hartikainen, and Eager?
Well, Smyth averaged a lot more ice time than Lander and Hartikainen first off.

Secondly, doesn't it say something when you're comparing him to guys who haven't shown enough to earn a full time roster spot?

Maybe he was our best option this past season, but he can't be next if we expect to start winning.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressure View Post
lolololol

i was laughing the entire time i read this dribble of a mess. This is why "advanced stats" and stats guys are terrible at hockey. This is what happens when you're at a game staring into a piece of paper and your ipad all game.
qft.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:00 PM
oilers83

Quote:

Lander and Harti might be here when we start wining, are we not trying to rebuild the entire roster?

We have seen what a bottom six that includes Belanger, Eager, Hordichuk, Petrell, Smyth, Horcoff, and Jones gets you, last or second last place. Might as well go down swinging with the young kids, rather than never show up half the time with those guys...

oilers83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:54 PM
AM

I love how the dudes go from total love to total hate in no time flat.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:45 AM
shogun99

All you have to do is watch one Oiler game to realize Smyth is done. He still has his moments but they are like every 10-15 games now. I'd like to see him retire on his own merrit instead of try to drag thru another 82 games.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:52 PM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
lol advanced stats.
Yes advanced stats.

Oh wait!
Wins and losses are advanced stats.
it is like you saying!
Even though the stast say we were a losing team you believe they are the greatest team ever.
Cause those are just stats.

Right buddy!

Come on!

They are awesome.

they were the best team in the word cause stats say otherwise.

Right buddy!

You do not beilieve stats.

like most of LOL advanced stasts guys

Old
05-12-2013, 02:55 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
All you have to do is watch one Oiler game to realize Smyth is done. He still has his moments but they are like every 10-15 games now. I'd like to see him retire on his own merrit instead of try to drag thru another 82 games.
I was shocked to see how ineffective looking of a player Smyth was this year. Being a fan of his, it made me sad. He needs to hang 'em up.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:58 PM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
LOLOLOLOL

I was laughing the entire time i read this dribble of a mess. This is why "advanced stats" and stats guys are terrible at hockey. This is what happens when you're at a game staring into a piece of paper and your ipad all game.
Did you ever play one of the top 5 sports in the world for your country.

My belief is you are a person with zero concept of what elite level play is.

based on your rejection of stats.

What i showed was Smyth was a top 40 EV point producer with real players.
And terible with Brown, Eager, Petrell.
Which you do not think is an excuse.

So you believe, Hall, RNH, Eberle are the same as Brown, Petrell, Eager @ even play and the diference is Smyth's fault.
Yes you are so correct.
Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

LOL@t......

Embarrasing of historic level:
Classic!

That is what everyone here is arguing.

Smyth needs to hang it up
cause it is his Fault!
Not that there is a diffrence between his teamates.

You guys are saying
Brown = Gagner, HALL, RNH, Eberle,
Petrell = Gagner, HALL, RNH, Eberle,
Eager = Gagner, HALL, RNH, Eberle,
to support your Smyth sucks argument.

EPIC!
EPIC!
LMAO EPIC!

Last edited by oilerbear: 05-12-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old
05-12-2013, 03:06 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Did you ever play one of the top 5 sports in the world for your country.

My belief is you are a person with zero concept of what elite level play is.

your rejection of stats likely means you never made a high school team.

what i showed was Smyth was a top 40 EVP oint producer with real players.

And terible with Brown, Eager, Petrell.

So you believe, hall, rNH, Eberle are the same as Brown, petrel, Eager @ even play.

that is embarrising on a historic level.

Yes you are so correct.

RNH=Brown

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

LOL@t......
You showed that he was a better player statistically when he played with better players. But were other players better when they played with him? In other words, just because other players made him better doesn't mean he made other players better. How he impacted other players would be a better measurement of his effectiveness than how other players impacted him.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote