HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Traitor8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Actually the only vezina year he had... He played under a defensive system... Coincidence ? That's the goaltending position folks.
And the year he sucked and Halak beat him and became the #1 goalie in the season and in the playoffs ...he was playing under the same defensive system with the same coach.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
And the year he sucked and Halak beat him and became the #1 goalie in the season and in the playoffs ...he was playing under the same defensive system with the same coach.
That's totally true. But by this time he wasn't a starter. I'd point you to the awesome year Halak had though...

Old
05-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Actually the only vezina year he had... He played under a defensive system... Coincidence ? That's the goaltending position folks.
OMG has Price won Vezina trophies in the alternate reality you've created?

Old
05-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Kriss E

At this point, I don't understand anybody's refusal to look at the possibility of moving Price.
One of the highest paid goalies in the NHL that has yet to have one season where he actually earned that money.
If Price still has this huge reputation around the NHL, then we should look at what assets we could get in return.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:52 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
That's totally true. But by this time he wasn't a starter. I'd point you to the awesome year Halak had though...
Are you sure that you have been a fan of this team for that long ?

Price was the starter that year. The only reason Halak played so much is because he stole his spot. But I watched the season and I don't have the memory of a lemming. Price came into the season as the starter and lost his spot to Halak.

Also, what about last year ? Same players, same coach (until Martin was fired), same system,etc. No repeat for Price, just an average season.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
At this point, I don't understand anybody's refusal to look at the possibility of moving Price.
One of the highest paid goalies in the NHL that has yet to have one season where he actually earned that money.
If Price still has this huge reputation around the NHL, then we should look at what assets we could get in return.
He played two seasons where he earned just before this season(even if I think he still earned it...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Are you sure that you have been a fan of this team for that long ?

Price was the starter that year. The only reason Halak played so much is because he stole his spot. But I watched the season and I don't have the memory of a lemming. Price came into the season as the starter and lost his spot to Halak.

Also, what about last year ? Same players, same coach (until Martin was fired), same system,etc. No repeat for Price, just an average season.
Price had an average season last year too now ? ... Heh, this guy will just never win.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
wow ...what happend to you Kriss E, have you finally seen the light?

Old
05-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
He played two seasons where he earned just before this season(even if I think he still earned it...)

Price had an average season last year too now ? ... Heh, this guy will just never win.
Yes he had an average year ... let me guess what you are going to say ... "if it wasn't for Price, we would be 15th in the East ..oh wait"

Old
05-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

I don't think he's earned it. He's had one really solid year. I don't count his rookie year because it was half a season. In any event, he needs to step it up and be better. He admitted it himself.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Traitor8

So if the team finished 15th ---> The team sucked, Price was good.
Team finishes 2nd and gets 8-1-1 record with backup ---> Price was the reason they finished that high ..

OK GOT IT!

Old
05-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
wow ...what happend to you Kriss E, have you finally seen the light?
What light? That we should have kept Halak over Price? No, we shouldn't have.
And Price wasn't getting paid 6.5M at the time, he was also 22 in his 3rd year. This season was the first year of his 6.5M/6y contract, in his 6th year, the standards have changed.

I have been talking about the need to draft a goalie for the past two drafts.

Next season will be very key for Price.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
What light? That we should have kept Halak over Price? No, we shouldn't have.
And Price wasn't getting paid 6.5M at the time, he was also 22 in his 3rd year. This season was the first year of his 6.5M/6y contract, in his 6th year, the standards have changed.

I have been talking about the need to draft a goalie for the past two drafts.

Next season will be very key for Price.
I remember you being in the pro-price camp and criticizing me. ..

It could be someone else though

Old
05-12-2013, 03:55 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
The goaltender is not just one player on a team. You can get by with a dman not playing well but it's a heck of a lot harder if it's your goalie.
This is not true and it's incredible you'd make this comparison seeing how Montreal without Markov is a different team compared to with Markov.

If Tavares struggled at the end of April, do you think the Islanders would have made the playoffs? Have you seen Boston play when Chara is off his game? I'm sure you have. Montreal has taken him off his game before the and the rest of the team just collapses.

The narrative earlier in the season was that Montreal was playing so well because they didn't have to rely on Price anymore. Price simply had to be solid. There was no prayers or miracle performances because the scoring was top 10 in the league and the defence was set. Once Emelin went down, the whole team started collapsing like a Jenga puzzle. How many times did Ottawa cut right down the center for a quality shot on Price? When did Montreal ever do that to Anderson? Oh right, when Galchenyuk scored in game four.

In every game of the Ottawa series, how often was Bourque and Ryder and Pacioretty just throwing the puck at the net from bad angles without anyone near the net to bang in a rebound? It was constant. The team was only getting things done on the power play because the only players willing to stand in front of the net were Gionta and Gallagher, some of the team's smallest players. A complete regression to when players went straight for the net.

The best goal in the series was made when Galchenyuk carried the pick, got hit, the team moved up into the play, Gallagher got to the net and Galchenyuk gave him a sweet pass on the one timer. Galchenyuk and Gallagher went deep for that play. That would hardly happen again with the team playing a box while Pacioretty and Bourque try to fire the puck in at bad angles. It also wouldn't happen again because Therrien kept benching Galchenyuk for no reason other than his age and inexperience.

Watching the Canadiens/Senators series was so frustrating because it was just like when the Canadiens played the Capitals in 2009. Only Montreal was in the role of Washington.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Captain Saku

In 2010-2011 Price was amazing, and had great playoffs against the Bruins.
In 2011-2012 other than the top line Price was the only one competing every game.
This year, Price had a great first half of a season, he struggled in the 2nd half.

While I believe 6.5 millions a year is huge overpayment for him, there is nothing that leads me to believe he won't bounce back.

Old
05-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
This is not true and it's incredible you'd make this comparison seeing how Montreal without Markov is a different team compared to with Markov.

If Tavares struggled at the end of April, do you think the Islanders would have made the playoffs? Have you seen Boston play when Chara is off his game? I'm sure you have. Montreal has taken him off his game before the and the rest of the team just collapses.

The narrative earlier in the season was that Montreal was playing so well because they didn't have to rely on Price anymore. Price simply had to be solid. There was no prayers or miracle performances because the scoring was top 10 in the league and the defence was set. Once Emelin went down, the whole team started collapsing like a Jenga puzzle. How many times did Ottawa cut right down the center for a quality shot on Price? When did Montreal ever do that to Anderson? Oh right, when Galchenyuk scored in game four.

In every game of the Ottawa series, how often was Bourque and Ryder and Pacioretty just throwing the puck at the net from bad angles without anyone near the net to bang in a rebound? It was constant. The team was only getting things done on the power play because the only players willing to stand in front of the net were Gionta and Gallagher, some of the team's smallest players. A complete regression to when players went straight for the net.

The best goal in the series was made when Galchenyuk carried the pick, got hit, the team moved up into the play, Gallagher got to the net and Galchenyuk gave him a sweet pass on the one timer. Galchenyuk and Gallagher went deep for that play. That would hardly happen again with the team playing a box while Pacioretty and Bourque try to fire the puck in at bad angles. It also wouldn't happen again because Therrien kept benching Galchenyuk for no reason other than his age and inexperience.

Watching the Canadiens/Senators series was so frustrating because it was just like when the Canadiens played the Capitals in 2009. Only Montreal was in the role of Washington.
Wow, this is beautiful. I will quote this until the end of times.

Old
05-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post

If Price was in Ottawa, Anderson was in MTL, habs would have won in 4 or 5.

Old
05-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
If Price was in Ottawa, Anderson was in MTL, habs would have won in 4 or 5.
Why? Instead of posting things like the above... you just make ridiculous claims... You just look like someone who hates Price. I can accept criticism.. But what you are doing is only ''hating''. And its not sane for you, me and him.

We made Anderson look good, don't worry. How many times did you see someone in his crest? How many shots in the corners ? How many deflections ? How many screen ?

Old
05-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Why? Instead of posting things like the above... you just make ridiculous claims... You just look like someone who hates Price. I can accept criticism.. But what you are doing is only ''hating''. And its not sane for you, me and him.

We made Anderson look good, don't worry. How many times did you see someone in his crest? How many shots in the corners ? How many deflections ? How many screen ?
I'm not hating ..it's well accepted that our goalies (Price and Budaj) played like **** and lost us games or didn't do enough to win a game.

Game 1 - Lost by Price, Anderson amazing
Game 2 - Price very good, 1st star
Game 3 - Price not good enough, average or below average.
Game 4 - Price flopping list fish on 2nd goal + Budaj choke job
Game 5 - Budaj choke job

We dominated Ottawa in large parts of games this series.

Enough with this we made Anderson look good.. Anderson has looked good for 6 years now, facing or without facing the habs! He's elite, get use to it!

Last edited by Traitor8: 05-12-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old
05-12-2013, 04:54 PM
SAKS AVENUE

I hope the Habs don't wait until the olympics for the truth to come out because that's when the hockey world will turn on Price. I don't get why he is held up on such a pedestal. His value is at it's highest right now, strangely so, we should take advantage of that.

My vote is for Bergy to do something at the draft table. Our first and Price to the highest bidder.
My hopes would be a prospect, a big" fighter" hard nosed winger and a top 10 pick.

Go with Budaj and tokarski and ride it out.

Who could we target?

Old
05-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
I hope the Habs don't wait until the olympics for the truth to come out because that's when the hockey world will turn on Price. I don't get why he is held up on such a pedestal. His value is at it's highest right now, strangely so, we should take advantage of that.

My vote is for Bergy to do something at the draft table. Our first and Price to the highest bidder.
My hopes would be a prospect, a big" fighter" hard nosed winger and a top 10 pick.

Go with Budaj and tokarski and ride it out.

Who could we target?
Budaj and Tokarski ... you won't make the playoffs!

Miller, Luongo, Halak will be on the trade market. Emery, Backstrom and Nabakov will be UFA!

Old
05-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Traitor8

If people want to see D-Man turn the puck over, look at Washington vs NYR live on TSN.... Holtby keeping WSH in it.

Old
05-12-2013, 05:03 PM
SAKS AVENUE

Quote:
Budaj and Tokarski ... you won't make the playoffs!

Miller, Luongo, Halak will be on the trade market. Emery, Backstrom and Nabakov will be UFA!

I hear you, I'm just saying strike while the iron is hot and deal with replacing him later or other ways, as you have mentioned.

Maybe colorado would be enticed to trade us for a goalie again

Old
05-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
I hear you, I'm just saying strike while the iron is hot and deal with replacing him later or other ways, as you have mentioned.

Maybe colorado would be enticed to trade us for a goalie again
Philadelphia, Calgary, Colorado, Tampa, Buffalo and NYI would definitely be interested.

I would personally look to move very high up the draft so we can get another stud to pair with Galchenyuk for years to come. If not, you will need to get somebody who is young (and has lot of potential) but hasn't established himself yet,.. i'm thinking someone like Couturier.

Old
05-12-2013, 05:10 PM
MTLSandman*

If I had to grade Price on his last three seasons plus playoffs it would go like this:
( this is based on ACTUALLY WATCHING EVERY GAME, not just stat watching like 90% of hfers)

2 years ago: amazing season, should have been a Vezina nominee, 9.5/10
+playoffs : second best goalie in the playoffs after Thomas. 9.5/10

Last year: Great season by Price despite the basement finish. If you actually watched the games you would know his play hardly regressed from the year before. 9/10
No playoffs...

This year: Had a very strong start, relatively solid all season and finished the season poorly. His overall performance would grade 7.5/10 seeing as though the last stretch was HUGELY overblown by the media and while he did let in a few weak goals the team defence was horrendous.
+playoffs: he had a weak game 1 ( once again hugely overblown), very solid game two, team fell asleep game three, but he was average, and was once again very strong in game 4. 8/10

Considering this was a shortened season, so technically a much smaller sample size ( about half), we should keep in mind that this season should have a bit less baring on the full scale of things.

Now if you look at his performances, within the last three years you can see he has been on average very good. (8.5+) there's no reason to trade him even considering his contract. YOu have to realize goalies will start making more and more money as the years go by. So while he might be making more than most good goalies now, other goalies will start following suit, and I can guarantee by the end of his contract he will be making less than other goalies who are worse than him.

Of course it's much harder to think rationally and look at the bigger picture than it is to look back a couple weeks and have knee jerk reactions, but hey, that's why we see so many clueless people asking for him to be traded....

Old
05-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLSandman View Post
If I had to grade Price on his last three seasons plus playoffs it would go like this:
( this is based on ACTUALLY WATCHING EVERY GAME, not just stat watching like 90% of hfers)

2 years ago: amazing season, should have been a Vezina nominee, 9.5/10
+playoffs : second best goalie in the playoffs after Thomas. 9.5/10

Last year: Great season by Price despite the basement finish. If you actually watched the games you would know his play hardly regressed from the year before. 9/10
No playoffs...

This year: Had a very strong start, relatively solid all season and finished the season poorly. His overall performance would grade 7.5/10 seeing as though the last stretch was HUGELY overblown by the media and while he did let in a few weak goals the team defence was horrendous.
+playoffs: he had a weak game 1 ( once again hugely overblown), very solid game two, team fell asleep game three, but he was average, and was once again very strong in game 4. 8/10

Considering this was a shortened season, so technically a much smaller sample size ( about half), we should keep in mind that this season should have a bit less baring on the full scale of things.

Now if you look at his performances, within the last three years you can see he has been on average very good. (8.5+) there's no reason to trade him even considering his contract. YOu have to realize goalies will start making more and more money as the years go by. So while he might be making more than most good goalies now, other goalies will start following suit, and I can guarantee by the end of his contract he will be making less than other goalies who are worse than him.

Of course it's much harder to think rationally and look at the bigger picture than it is to look back a couple weeks and have knee jerk reactions, but hey, that's why we see so many clueless people asking for him to be traded....
It's impossible that a goalie is so good ..gets 9/10 and yet the team finishes 15th. It just doesn't happen. Have you heard of goalies carrying their team into the playoffs? If Price got the habs to 8th with that team, what would you give him 15/10? lol ...9/10 get REAL!

Closed Thread