Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2013, 02:04 PM
aresknights

vCash: 500
Was hearing Kuchemy is in Windsors plans for next year and the Rockets shouldnt expect him back

HL, or any1 else, are they close to signing him to a card?

Only seen him play 2 times and am no goalie coach but he seems to play well esp in POs.

Could he help the Spits next year if given a chance to compete with DeKort? Hed be a great fit in Strat next year but the idea in the jr leagues is always to have kids move up and on if they want to and are capable

Old
05-12-2013, 05:04 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Was hearing Kuchemy is in Windsors plans for next year and the Rockets shouldnt expect him back

HL, or any1 else, are they close to signing him to a card?

Only seen him play 2 times and am no goalie coach but he seems to play well esp in POs.

Could he help the Spits next year if given a chance to compete with DeKort? Hed be a great fit in Strat next year but the idea in the jr leagues is always to have kids move up and on if they want to and are capable
Personally I am not a fan of that move. What was Windsor doing with the goaltending position the last 2 years? He will be a 19 year old goalie this upcoming year not having played a single minute of a regular season game. If they really liked Kuchmey he should have been up in Windsor the past 2 years.

Old
05-12-2013, 05:46 PM
KyGuy9

I still want Altshuller + OA. Maybe Bowen, DeKort and someone to Oshawa?

Old
05-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Pukhogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Personally I am not a fan of that move. What was Windsor doing with the goaltending position the last 2 years? He will be a 19 year old goalie this upcoming year not having played a single minute of a regular season game. If they really liked Kuchmey he should have been up in Windsor the past 2 years.
Wasn't Passingham a 19 year old goalie when he arrived in Windsor?

Old
05-12-2013, 09:35 PM
cfaub

If the Spits go into a full blown rebuild then moving whatever assets that can bring back a solid return while filling holes from within for nothing would help to maximize assets.

DeKort still provides more value to a rebuilding Spits team then Kuchemy will in a trade while Kuchemy looked solid enough during the last two training camps to deserve a shot in the O, even if it is playing on a rebuilding team.

An older rookie will likely deal with the tough times of a rebuild better than a younger one while still allowing Windsor to bring in a youngster to back up and get some semi regular starts to get a taste of the league.

Time to rebuild this team the right way, take the lumps of a full rebuild giving some kids a chance to play while dealing to add some much needed assets to a team that can desperately use them.

A proper rebuild can be tough to go through but if done properly can pay off a couple of seasons down the road.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:39 PM
OHLTG

Kuchmey being a good or bad idea depends on the Cup. If we host, we need either Pavelka (I doubt it) or another veteran. If we don't host, have Kuchmey and DeKort battle it out for the top spot. Kuch clearly has done well in Jr B, so he deserves at least a shot if the opportunity is there.

As for why he hasn't been up - my guess is Pavelka wasn't expected to compete, but when he did, they ran with it. Similarly, Kuchmey wasn't expected to do well, but when he did, it gave them options. If Pavelka doesn't return (I've heard that's the case), it opens the door for Kuchmey to come in...potentially.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:58 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukhogg View Post
Wasn't Passingham a 19 year old goalie when he arrived in Windsor?
OA. Passingham was also on the reigning Memorial Cup champs who returned 15 players. This team returns a lot of guys but the exact opposite. They have failed to produce much in 2 years and lots of questions moving forward.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:03 PM
OHLTG

Passingham was 18, turning 19, when he was signed as a FA. Birthdate is Nov 1990, he came in Sept 2009.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:17 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaub View Post
If the Spits go into a full blown rebuild then moving whatever assets that can bring back a solid return while filling holes from within for nothing would help to maximize assets.

DeKort still provides more value to a rebuilding Spits team then Kuchemy will in a trade while Kuchemy looked solid enough during the last two training camps to deserve a shot in the O, even if it is playing on a rebuilding team.

An older rookie will likely deal with the tough times of a rebuild better than a younger one while still allowing Windsor to bring in a youngster to back up and get some semi regular starts to get a taste of the league.

Time to rebuild this team the right way, take the lumps of a full rebuild giving some kids a chance to play while dealing to add some much needed assets to a team that can desperately use them.

A proper rebuild can be tough to go through but if done properly can pay off a couple of seasons down the road.
Since the OHL champ will be declared Monday night you should expect the 2014 Memorial Cup host to be announced Tuesday or more than likely Wednesday. Once that happens the Spits will be able to get down to the rebuilding process in short order...problem is, if as expected, they don't get the host gig their chances of picking up a couple of prime US players who might have jumped on the Memorial Cup bandwagon all but disappears. Those two years you mention will be difficult if
the people evaluating the talent don't do a much better job than they have the last few seasons.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Pukhogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Passingham was 18, turning 19, when he was signed as a FA. Birthdate is Nov 1990, he came in Sept 2009.
Kuchmey is 18 turning 19 in September. Signed September 2011 as an FA.
IMO but anything can happen. Main camp will determine the final outcome of what's ahead
For the spitfires.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:09 AM
OHLTG

Yeah, I know Kuch isn't that old. I'm just responding to the comments about Passingham's age. He wasn't as old as first thought.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:48 AM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaub View Post

You're already 2 layers into a rebuild with the toughest part out of the way. With a layer of 16 and 17 yr olds already in the fold it could be a simple as turning some real nice peices at deadline into young prospects...KoeKoek, Rychel and maybe one more. By next season then Windsor would be stacked with some real qaulity peices.

Old
05-13-2013, 06:27 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post
You're already 2 layers into a rebuild with the toughest part out of the way. With a layer of 16 and 17 yr olds already in the fold it could be a simple as turning some real nice peices at deadline into young prospects...KoeKoek, Rychel and maybe one more. By next season then Windsor would be stacked with some real qaulity peices.
Guigovaz, 2nd for Vail?

Old
05-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Ottomatic

Rychel isn't going to rebuild - he's going to try and build and stick it to Branch and make him and the host committee look loke fools again. He's stubborn like that and would love nothing else than to bump off London in the play-offs next year and show Branch to be the hack he is, always rolling over for his BFF Hunter.

IN WR's wildest dream he'd have Branch having to come to the WFCU to present the Spits with the League Championship and get booed out of the arena, while having to explain to the media how he and the host committee gave the hosting gig to London for the second time in 10 years anyways.

Old
05-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Rychel isn't going to rebuild - he's going to try and build and stick it to Branch and make him and the host committee look loke fools again. He's stubborn like that and would love nothing else than to bump off London in the play-offs next year and show Branch to be the hack he is, always rolling over for his BFF Hunter.

IN WR's wildest dream he'd have Branch having to come to the WFCU to present the Spits with the League Championship and get booed out of the arena, while having to explain to the media how he and the host committee gave the hosting gig to London for the second time in 10 years anyways.
Wow, so the Knights have already been awarded the Memorial Cup for next year! I must have missed that news release. And apparently, the Knights have made the playoffs for next year too! Woo hoo!!!!

Old
05-13-2013, 11:41 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Wow, so the Knights have already been awarded the Memorial Cup for next year! I must have missed that news release. And apparently, the Knights have made the playoffs for next year too! Woo hoo!!!!
Bit of a no brainer, don't you think?

Old
05-13-2013, 12:11 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post

Part of me agrees with this. The only way Rychel could rationalize such a stance is if he gets a couple US prospects to show up along the lines of Butcher, Allen, Schmaltz, and Barber. Then you add in 2 top 20 import picks that would be a lot firepower added to the lineup.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:36 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Part of me agrees with this. The only way Rychel could rationalize such a stance is if he gets a couple US prospects to show up along the lines of Butcher, Allen, Schmaltz, and Barber. Then you add in 2 top 20 import picks that would be a lot firepower added to the lineup.
No way Rychel gets all 4 of those guys though. But Rychel will not rebuild when he brought in Koekkoek at the last deadline. Makes no sense.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:48 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
No way Rychel gets all 4 of those guys though. But Rychel will not rebuild when he brought in Koekkoek at the last deadline. Makes no sense.
I said a couple of those guys, then you add in 2 top 20 imports that's 4 guys right there.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:45 PM
NHL Fanatic

This came out in November, I do remember some of Windsor's U.S. prospects keeping an open mind to playing in Windsor. Wouldn't shock me if indeed it does happen. When making commitments to the big US schools, definitely hard to get much ice time especially so many high profile commits attending these schools.

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....n-with-windsor

If Windsor is not awarded the Memorial Cup, you have to give DeKort the starting job, if yes then I would go more experienced tender giving him the back up job.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
At least Branch is in his fav. city tonight, in all his glory.Did they have him at city hall this morn. and give him the key to the city???

IMO if London wins tonight, Barrie will be awarded the cup and vice versa.

Any votes to move the OHL Hdqtrs to London by team owners????

Maybe on Commisioners Rd.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:53 PM
NHL Fanatic

The Memorial Cup winner has not been announced as of yet, but as I said before I wouldn't be shocked if it indeed went to London. If it didn't go to London, Windsor would have more of a chance than Barrie IMO. Should be announced on Tuesday if I'm not mistaken

Old
05-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
The Memorial Cup winner has not been announced as of yet, but as I said before I wouldn't be shocked if it indeed went to London. If it didn't go to London, Windsor would have more of a chance than Barrie IMO. Should be announced on Tuesday if I'm not mistaken
I don't think it would look to good for the league if London wins it and then gets awarded it.Thats why I say Barrie, that way both teams win in a way.

But seeing the past things that have happenned in this league it wouldnt suprise me that London would be awarded it.

I still dont think we have a chance bc of past incidences.

Have to go to work........lets go Colts!!!!! later.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
This came out in November, I do remember some of Windsor's U.S. prospects keeping an open mind to playing in Windsor. Wouldn't shock me if indeed it does happen. When making commitments to the big US schools, definitely hard to get much ice time especially so many high profile commits attending these schools.

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....n-with-windsor

If Windsor is not awarded the Memorial Cup, you have to give DeKort the starting job, if yes then I would go more experienced tender giving him the back up job.
Will depend on NHL draft teams at this stage I believe. 3rd round or later the kids should go the NCAA route though. I think we'd have the best chance at Allen coming over - he'd really fill a need for us.

Regarding Kuchmey, it could be a situation where Windsor could trade him in a package, or trade DeKort in a package for a legit one-and-done #1, with Kuch as the back-up here.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:45 PM
punch1943

Quote:
IMHO Wee Davie will let the winner bask in the spotlight for a day and then announce the winner on Wednesday and IMHO the odds are London 85%, Barrie 15% and Windsor 0%.

Closed Thread