HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buyouts

Old
05-12-2013, 09:10 AM
outoftune

vCash: 500
Buyouts

With this dreadful season finished and the avs already making changes in the org. who do you want to be bought out on this team and if you can give the replacement you hope to take on the roster spot

Lots of options
Zanon
Jones
SOB
Hunny

anyways my choices

Zanon
and SOB

to make room for Jones, and either a Free agent Dman or the best of Elliott and Siemens in camp

D-group of
Jones
EJ
Barrie
Hejda
Hunwick
Wilson
Elliott/Siemens/FA

outoftune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

If anyone gets bought out this offseason it will be SOB.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
If anyone gets bought out this offseason it will be SOB.
I don't think anyone will. Jones is the only one on a bad contract, but I don't see them not giving him one more shot. SOB can be #7-8 D

Hans Landaskog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:57 PM
shadow1

David Jones being bought out would be preferable, but I doubt it happens. It seems like there's a decent chance Shane O'Brien will be bought out.

I think Colorado keeps Greg Zanon. Even if they don't envision him as a regular part of the line-up, there is only a year left on his contract and you just know one or three regulars will get injured on the back end.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 04:14 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
David Jones being bought out would be preferable, but I doubt it happens. It seems like there's a decent chance Shane O'Brien will be bought out.

I think Colorado keeps Greg Zanon. Even if they don't envision him as a regular part of the line-up, there is only a year left on his contract and you just know one or three regulars will get injured on the back end.
I think O'Brien has enough value to be traded, Zannon has ZERO value, and I have my doubts that he would even be picked up off waivers by anyone.

Zannon bought out this year, and trade Jones, if no one wants him. Then give him a chance to work his way back in next year. If he does not improve buy him out in 2014 when his contract has 8M left and not 12M.

Those are really the only two ugly ***** heads we're giving undeserving money to.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 04:24 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I think O'Brien has enough value to be traded, Zannon has ZERO value, and I have my doubts that he would even be picked up off waivers by anyone.

Zannon bought out this year, and trade Jones, if no one wants him. Then give him a chance to work his way back in next year. If he does not improve buy him out in 2014 when his contract has 8M left and not 12M.

Those are really the only two ugly ***** heads we're giving undeserving money to.
That's what I'd go with.

Except change 'trade Jones if no one wants him' to 'when'.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Sheet

vCash: 50
With a new coach I'm hoping to see jones and staz and our underachieving crew in general rebound. If this team plays to potential we'll be scary good.

Sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:42 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheet View Post
With a new coach I'm hoping to see jones and staz and our underachieving crew in general rebound. If this team plays to potential we'll be scary good.
The best thing we can hope for with Jones, is that he take his conditioning a little more seriously this off-season. However for whatever reason Jones just seems to lack the ability to raise his motivation level in a way that can been seen in his play.

We seen it a little bit after he found out he wasn't being traded at last years deadline. But he settled back in to his usual flat lined unmotivated style of play after the contract. Which goes to his character IMO....

Jones makes me sick, and I have zero hope that he will rebound. But because of that contract, he'll be given a chance to rebound.

I'd love it if they did something like trade Jones + 4th/5th rounder for Horton's rights. We rid ourselves of that contract, Boston gets some cost certainty and takes a chance on him with a fresh start, but can afford to buy his ass out easier than we can, and they get a mid round pick for their efforts. Maybe add another conditional 4/5th round pick if Horton signs, or they have to buy out Jones.

I'd at least test the waters on that, seeing as how they had interest in him at one point, and probably have no intention of giving Horton the raise he needs.

Old
05-12-2013, 05:46 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Hunny should not be an option.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:54 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Hunny should not be an option.
Exactly, not at a 1.6M cap hit... Hes the one bottom pairing defender that is paid accordingly. Hes also been willing to ride the pine and not complain for very long stints while keeping his conditioning top notch.

Hunwick is our Budaj on defense. Hes serviceable, but not great, paid what he deserves, and is a great team player.

He should not be used 20+ minutes a night EVER, but that's on Sacco and our injuries. Not him IMO...

(I wanted Hunwick gone just so Sacco would stop using him next to EJ, with a new coach I'm fine with Hunwick staying.)

Old
05-12-2013, 06:13 PM
forsbergavs32

vCash: 280
If we buy anyone out on D I hope it's Zanon...he can block shots (and grow an amazing beard) but other than that he's worthless

Also would like to see Jones bought out, but he'll be given a chance to rebound and I hope the new coach can find some way to get him motivated.

forsbergavs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsbergavs32 View Post
If we buy anyone out on D I hope it's Zanon...he can block shots (and grow an amazing beard) but other than that he's worthless.
He also nearly killed kiszla.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
If we buy anyone out on D I hope it's Zanon...he can block shots (and grow an amazing beard) but other than that he's worthless

Also would like to see Jones bought out, but he'll be given a chance to rebound and I hope the new coach can find some way to get him motivated.
The beard alone is a good reason to get rid of him. It's terrible.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Elever
Hth

What's with this HF obsession with "buy-outs"?

Player not playing well enough...buy him out. Why? We're under the cap, we have the space, and some of those will come off the book soon enough. If we're up against it and Jones isn't performing THEN I'd consider a buy-out. At most one of the D would need to be bought out to make room for another one and that would probably be through a trade for scraps or waivers.

If the Leafs did not buy-out Pominville then don't expect the same to happen here.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:16 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post

Player not playing well enough...buy him out. Why? We're under the cap, we have the space, and some of those will come off the book soon enough. If we're up against it and Jones isn't performing THEN I'd consider a buy-out. At most one of the D would need to be bought out to make room for another one and that would probably be through a trade for scraps or waivers.

If the Leafs did not buy-out Pominville then don't expect the same to happen here.
What?

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
What?
He's probably talking about his GM career in NHL 13.

For us there is no need to buy-out anyone until summer 2014.
If D.Jones isn't performing and there is some issues with the cap, then for sure buy him out.
And if there still is some issues, then also buy SOB out.

I see no other need.

Last edited by Nzap: 05-12-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Nzap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

Avs' won't buy anybody out this off-season.

If Jones doesn't rebound, he'll be bought out next season though. Need cap space to re-sign Duchene, ROR, Landeskog, Varly...

Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:11 PM
outoftune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post

Its because the league has given every team a do over.... when other teams buy out bad contracts good players will be available due to under permorming their expectances, if you are able to upgrade by the cost of cash only then you def should... will the avs... prob not

Old
05-12-2013, 10:13 PM
outoftune

Maybe im confused with the new CBA I thought the compliance buy-outs were only available for this summer only.... Seen alot of comments pushing them back for a few years... did I misinterpret the new rules?

Old
05-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftune View Post
Maybe im confused with the new CBA I thought the compliance buy-outs were only available for this summer only.... Seen alot of comments pushing them back for a few years... did I misinterpret the new rules?
You can use them (every team has two) this summer and next.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Mant*

Quote:

Buying out Zanon would be stupid... he's got one of the lowest salaries on the team, and he could just be kept in reserve for when the injuries strike. Buying him out would mean something like... $350k in cap space. Pointless.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Drij

is it even worth buying out someone on their last year? WE could just AHL them or trade them or not even play them in case of injuries.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Yipperfan
NWOBHM forever \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
is it even worth buying out someone on their last year? WE could just AHL them or trade them or not even play them in case of injuries.
You can't bury one-way contract cap hits in the minors anymore (I think).

Yipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Yipperfan
NWOBHM forever \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
You can use them (every team has two) this summer and next.
Thanks for clarifying. Then we can keep Jones for another year and hope he gets back to form. If not, he out for 2014-15.

I'd like if we could add two major free agents in the 4-5M$ range each, one winger, one D. We have the cap space for that this year and beyond, even when we consider the upcoming raises for our young pups.

Yipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:05 PM
tucker3434

We really don't have an atrocious contract on the books next year. If it's accurate that we have amnesty buyouts in the summer of '14 as well, I see no reason to buy anyone out.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote