HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Minor pro players lead the Colorado Avalanche prospect awards

Old
05-11-2013, 09:15 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Minor pro players lead the Colorado Avalanche prospect awards

Despite making the playoffs a few seasons ago, the Colorado Avalanche have been languishing the last few seasons, not fully able to cash in on the promise of their young players. Not only have they struggled on the ice, but they have struggled in the draft as well, lacking the organizational depth that makes the great teams truly great. All that aside, there are players in their system that have stood out a bit above the rest.

Hardest Worker: Troy Bourke, LW, Prince George Cougars (WHL)

Bourke has quickly become known throughout the Avalanche organization as a tireless worker, and his consistent improvement in his three years with a relatively sub-par Prince George team has shown that.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Sigh...

A few corrections. Chouinard has showcased his shot at a higher level, in the AHL. And he wasn't that special there, thus being demoted to the CHL.

Smith carried his line, if anything Bozon and Lipon benefited from playing with him. Saying he overachieved seems rather silly because of the nature of where he was picked, nobody expects him to even be a NHLer, if he shows talent in the AHL then many of us would be overjoyed and currently are with his pick.

While Elliott did underachieve, he was great at the tail end of the season. I'd say if anyone underachieved it was Nermark.

And lastly, saying we've been struggling in the draft is just downright wrong. I expect better from HF writers than blatantly wrong statements like that. Since '09 we've hit on about 16 players, more than 50%.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:01 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Nice job completely forgeting to mention a knee injury Stef had and which is one of the reasons for his struggle in earlier parts of the season.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:10 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Sigh...

A few corrections. Chouinard has showcased his shot at a higher level, in the AHL. And he wasn't that special there, thus being demoted to the CHL.

Smith carried his line, if anything Bozon and Lipon benefited from playing with him. Saying he overachieved seems rather silly because of the nature of where he was picked, nobody expects him to even be a NHLer, if he shows talent in the AHL then many of us would be overjoyed and currently are with his pick.

While Elliott did underachieve, he was great at the tail end of the season. I'd say if anyone underachieved it was Nermark.

And lastly, saying we've been struggling in the draft is just downright wrong. I expect better from HF writers than blatantly wrong statements like that. Since '09 we've hit on about 16 players, more than 50%.
preach!

CalderKing21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:49 PM
CobraAcesS

Does the 'F' in HF stand for 'Failure'? Seriously crap reporting... Almost to the level of insulting Colorado's fan base.

This reminds me of what happens when papers like USA Today, and the NY Times, write a hockey related article. There is so much left out or just plain WRONG, because of the lack of appropriate research done by a writer who does not give a rats ass about what hes writing.

There must of been a bet in the office, who ever loses has to write about Colorado's prospects. This is that level of "I don't give a ****" and "This is something I don't want to do" reporting.

Pathetic, and insulting.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:59 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Knee injury or not, Elliott had a poor season and salvaged it a bit with a strong last ten games or so with the Avs.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:25 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Knee injury or not, Elliott had a poor season and salvaged it a bit with a strong last ten games or so with the Avs.
That does not mean it should be left out, and young players have ups and downs. There is also a strong thought, that he was expected to work on his defensive game as a priority.

Later on in the season it showed at the NHL level too. They had to ride it out and give him a chance to gain some confidence, eventually that happened and he started to show signs of what he did early in his chance last season.

These things paint the picture of how his season went, by not fully looking at it and saying that he just underachieved you get nothing more than a quick jump to judgement of a prospects failure.

When all is said and done, it looks like Elliott actually ended up taking a very big step forward in the tail end of the season. Which is important for him AND Colorado as a franchise that needs their young defenders to continue improving.

This season shouldn't be a distant memory, it should be a page in his learning and development. The write up is a cop out, and done simply so that they can fit him into the 'underachiever' tag, with no real thought of actually telling the story of how his season went.

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 05-12-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old
05-12-2013, 06:40 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
This season shouldn't be a distant memory, it should be a page in his learning and development. The write up is a cop out, and done simply so that they can fit him into the 'underachiever' tag, with no real thought of actually telling the story of how his season went.
Other than failing to mention the injury, I don't see what's so bad about his write up. He had a bad season in the AHL and up until the end, didn't really look good in the NHL either. He most definitely underachieved for most of the year. His AHL numbers regressed and so did his NHL numbers. What's so wrong about labeling him as the undrrachiever this year? Didn't he go like the first 15 games in the AHL without even a point?

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:16 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Other than failing to mention the injury, I don't see what's so bad about his write up. He had a bad season in the AHL and up until the end, didn't really look good in the NHL either. He most definitely underachieved for most of the year. His AHL numbers regressed and so did his NHL numbers. What's so wrong about labeling him as the undrrachiever this year? Didn't he go like the first 15 games in the AHL without even a point?
Underachieving means he didn't do what was expected of him, did anyone (Besides Dater), really think he was going to have a breakout year?

Everyone knew that his priority should be working on his defense, and the organization finding a way to rebuild his confidence. All you can expect of a early 20s defender is to show some kind of growth from year to year. He did that IMO.

I personally think that the year turned out to be a win for him, and sets him up to come in to camp next season with more confidence.

There were way to many dynamics to his year and what he needed to do to call it 'Underachieving' when looked at as a whole.

He did what was asked of him, worked hard on his deficient areas and improved because of it. Cherry picking his lack of statistical production is weak IMO.

Old
05-12-2013, 07:25 PM
boz
Altitude Fan

Elliott underachieved..no point in sugar coating it. Whilst he showed some glimpses of potential at the very tail end of the season, you can't possibly get away from the fact that it was a tough season for him.

boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Cullen Bohannon

Elliott underachieved offensively. Defensively, he improved.

Cullen Bohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:42 PM
AdamCalderHero
Blaze = UK Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post
Elliott underachieved offensively. Defensively, he improved.
I agree with this. By the end of the season his defense was much better, by no means perfect but I would say it was passable. His struggles in the AHL I feel, and I could be wrong here, were from him focusing on defense and as he's pretty much never had to do this it took him some time. I feel we saw the benefits of this in his NHL stint and then his offense came.

Remember defense is not natural for Stefan Elliot, he's going to have to work hard on it and I think we saw that he is willing to do that. Come the start of next season I expect his defense to have slipped a bit due to the time off but hopefully after an off season of hard work and some more pro games to get back into it and implement what he may learn over the summer he can surpass his play last season and carry on his trajectory of improvement.

What I saw last season really made me happy with him as a prospect and relieved my slight concerns about him partially.

AdamCalderHero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:45 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamCalderHero View Post
I agree with this. By the end of the season his defense was much better, by no means perfect but I would say it was passable. His struggles in the AHL I feel, and I could be wrong here, were from him focusing on defense and as he's pretty much never had to do this it took him some time. I feel we saw the benefits of this in his NHL stint and then his offense came.

Remember defense is not natural for Stefan Elliot, he's going to have to work hard on it and I think we saw that he is willing to do that. Come the start of next season I expect his defense to have slipped a bit due to the time off but hopefully after an off season of hard work and some more pro games to get back into it and implement what he may learn over the summer he can surpass his play last season and carry on his trajectory of improvement.

What I saw last season really made me happy with him as a prospect and relieved my slight concerns about him partially.
This, and this is not underachieving.