Old
05-12-2013, 01:04 AM
Ducks DVM
Global Moderator
There is no grunion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inblack View Post
PK isn't the third line....than why do they get the most prominent forward minutes on it? If you want to have a shutdown third line (god knows that any chance of them scoring is non existent in this series) what's the point if they can't perform on the PK. You do realize the PK actually matters and is a huge reason the Ducks are in the position they are. That's like saying we could play anyone on the PK and have it not be there fault when the % is atrocious.

You think 1 goal a game is exceptable? That's frankly unbelievable. Pick any loss and a goal against that line from any one of them and this series is over. If you want to cherry pick times were Koivu had an odd winger and got scored on I don't know what to tell you. I think it's hilarious that you bash Getzlafs face-offs and in the same argument mention the game 6 overtime goal.

Koivu is winning face offs, isn't scoring(PP aside), and isn't shutting anyone down. Getzlaf isn't but he's scoring, leading the team with backbreaking clutch goals, doing everything you could ask out of your Captain. There's a handful of major reasons the ducks are where they are now and saying the 3rd line isn't one of them is just silly.
If you can explain why Babcock is going to all lengths to get Datsyuk and Zetterberg out there against Getzlaf and avoiding Koivu like the the plague I'll concede you're correct. Since you can't, I'm going to go with the really good coach assesses their play just a bit differently than you do.

I suggest you do a little research on how Zetterberg shows up in the playoffs, then look at how he's been kept in check until game 6. Yes, I think that average is perfectly fine, especially (as I said) 2 of the 5 ES goals are on the defense, not the forwards. And that game 6 OT winner is mostly on, wait for it, Fowler and Lovejoy standing there providing 2/3 of a triple screen and doing jack all to either clear the crease or actually block the puck. I'm sure that's what Koivu told them to do though, so by all means bring a big poster to the game tomorrow demanding he be benched.

And the PK is its own thing. Small sample size is skewing that statistic.

Edit - not winning faceoffs has a lot to do with RPG's being worthless. They spend their entire shift playing defense and/or trying to get the puck back. Getzlaf has been the best player on the team most nights regardless, but him being execrable on faceoffs is a significant contributor to that problem.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:24 AM
De Montreal
help

Go saku

Old
05-12-2013, 02:29 PM
8inblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
If you can explain why Babcock is going to all lengths to get Datsyuk and Zetterberg out there against Getzlaf and avoiding Koivu like the the plague I'll concede you're correct. Since you can't, I'm going to go with the really good coach assesses their play just a bit differently than you do.

I suggest you do a little research on how Zetterberg shows up in the playoffs, then look at how he's been kept in check until game 6. Yes, I think that average is perfectly fine, especially (as I said) 2 of the 5 ES goals are on the defense, not the forwards. And that game 6 OT winner is mostly on, wait for it, Fowler and Lovejoy standing there providing 2/3 of a triple screen and doing jack all to either clear the crease or actually block the puck. I'm sure that's what Koivu told them to do though, so by all means bring a big poster to the game tomorrow demanding he be benched.

And the PK is its own thing. Small sample size is skewing that statistic.

Edit - not winning faceoffs has a lot to do with RPG's being worthless. They spend their entire shift playing defense and/or trying to get the puck back. Getzlaf has been the best player on the team most nights regardless, but him being execrable on faceoffs is a significant contributor to that problem.
1, prove that this is the case. Show me a stat that says Datsyuk is never thrown over the boards when Koivu is on the ice for a draw.

If you think zetterburg has been kept in check I don't know what to tell you. He's played great and has had great passes. Comparing him to Perry is silly because Perry isn't doing anything, literally.

To your last point, so the defense and Hiller decide to play bad only when the Koivu line is on the ice huh? That tandem of 3 players has been on the ice one way or another for like 75% of detroit goals in this series. I really don't know how you can defend that. PK's bad cause it's a small sample size? So if the ducks get sent home the pks cool cause it was a small sample size? What?

Old
05-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Ducks DVM
Global Moderator
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inblack View Post
1, prove that this is the case. Show me a stat that says Datsyuk is never thrown over the boards when Koivu is on the ice for a draw.

If you think zetterburg has been kept in check I don't know what to tell you. He's played great and has had great passes. Comparing him to Perry is silly because Perry isn't doing anything, literally.

To your last point, so the defense and Hiller decide to play bad only when the Koivu line is on the ice huh? That tandem of 3 players has been on the ice one way or another for like 75% of detroit goals in this series. I really don't know how you can defend that. PK's bad cause it's a small sample size? So if the ducks get sent home the pks cool cause it was a small sample size? What?
Faceoffs report. Game 6, Datsyuk took 8 of 32 against Koivu.
Game 5, 28 of 40.
Game 4, 8 of 28.
Game 3, 0 of 27.
Game 2, 17 of 48.
Game 1, 23 of 31.

With the exception of Game 2, you can look at the faceoffs and tell which coach had last change. I'm guessing that the majority of the Detroit faceoffs involving Koivu in Detroit would be on the PK where Babcock has no choice if he wants to start with his PP1, but the point is already proven.

Zetterberg had one assist through the first 4 games. For him, that's in check.

You're so far from your original argument with the PK I'm done discussing it. I get it, Koivu sucks in your mind. It's got nothing to do with playing a perennial top 5 player with a perennial top 5 coach on the other side.

Old
05-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
DVM, you know that this isn't about facts. It isn't even about watching the play on the ice. He's formed an opinion, and he's going to stick to it through hell or high water. This might as well be the "scratch Fowler" argument all over again.

05-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Ducks DVM
Global Moderator
There is no grunion

Yeah, that appears to be the case. Time to motivate to head to the game, I'm done tilting at windmills here.

Old
05-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I'm closing up shop in this thread. Game discussions can take place in the appropriate GDT thread.

Closed Thread