HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

The Puzzling Question On What To Do With Sergei Gonchar-Contract Extension Edition

Old
05-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

vCash: 500
sign him till hes 33.

(curious case of sergei gonchar)

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:39 AM
playasRus

I think he likes it here.

We seem to have a harworking, winning, and energetic culture. He probably likes seeing young guys out there to keep him mentally young. His family has been here 3 years and is comfortable. There isn't a lot of drama in the press about the team the way there is on other teams like Mtl, Tor, Pitts. And there isn't as much pressure on him since we have a guy like Karlsson.

On that note, if we sign him for 2 years at 4mil, I know the contract sticks the 2nd year if he retires but does that mean we have to pay him or is it just the cap hit? If it's just cap hit, who cares? 1 year of 4mil on a teamw ith so much cap room for now won't kill.

Also Boro seems to be getting no more love.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 1706
He wants to play in the Sochi Olympics; therefore, I'd sign him to a 1-year deal until Ceci is ready to take over in 2014-15. $4.75mil sounds about right.

Phillips, Gonchar and Alfie all play one more year with the Sens, imo.

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:44 AM
sens613

I dont see anyone replacing him on or off the ice next year in the organization or via free agency. We have a good team that seems to LOVE playing together and we need to worry more about hitting cap floor then ceiling. Ideally 1 year at 4.5ish but if we give him 2 and he is a 4.5 million 5th-6th defender helping the kids out off the ice I have zero problem with this.

sens613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:48 AM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens613 View Post
I dont see anyone replacing him on or off the ice next year in the organization or via free agency. We have a good team that seems to LOVE playing together and we need to worry more about hitting cap floor then ceiling. Ideally 1 year at 4.5ish but if we give him 2 and he is a 4.5 million 5th-6th defender helping the kids out off the ice I have zero problem with this.
Basically how I feel. Not my money, but unless it's needed/used to land Spezza's scoring winger (and it probably won't be), give him another year. Can't say he hasn't earned it with his work this year.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Herping Derps*
Its a trap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
I propose Karlsson, Spezza, Cowen be brought in for the year to improve our offense. Look at the numbers from the start of the year, before the injury parade got going. Also, Cowen is only beginning to tap his offensive potential.
I'm talking about getting a proper scoring line, now that Spez is back (ish), and trying to roll some lines, and I just never really like Michalek. And yeah....this is a Gonchar thread, so it OT, but lets face it, signing Gonch for more money is a bad idea. Same cash, maaaaybe two year, I can get behind. But this team's contract space is literally going to disappear in 2 years, so throwing cash around is not an option.

So yes, we need an anchor like him on the back end. no, we don't need another albatros of a contract. Why is it that UFA's always play so well in their contract year.

Herping Derps* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:49 PM
operasen

Next year
Methot Karlsson
Cowen Gryba
Phillips Wiercioch
Borowiecki

IF Goncar is to sign here, he'd have to be top 4 and I think our top 6 is set (different pairs if you like). I like him, but his salary takes him out of the top 4 range, unless we bump everyone down. Wiercioch has earned a chance now and Ceci is coming. Gonchar will not take less than the 5.5 he's making now, and he most likely wants two years. Something Winnipeg, Washington or other would pay him.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:15 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Sign Streit. Better than Gonchar.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 04:01 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

I dont think Gonchar is going to sign anything less then a two year deal, and who can blame him?

He's played great this season, and although he may regress a bit I think its a safe bet to have him for another two years. It's not like the Sens need the cap space, and the younger guys arent going to be needing new deals next season.

No reason not to bring him back for a coup[le seasons if he wants to stay.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 04:11 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Let him be a player coach

Could easily be a rare Euro who I could see in some kind of coaching capacity in the NHL. Probably make a hell of an assistant coach.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:37 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Sign Streit. Better than Gonchar.
Disagree.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Let Wiercioch take over his role.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:21 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Disagree.
How so? Better QB at their ages currently and Streit stronger defensively and with a stronger offense can do better.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:22 PM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Let Wiercioch take over his role.
I'm sure it has been considered. At this point however, it's a monumental and unnecessary gamble given our budget and cap space.

For one, we haven't seen Wiercioch a lot on the offside, so it's hard to project him there as an NHL regular. Then, even if he plays well, we'd be potentially moving him back to the lefthand side again next season if Phillips retires.

Secondly, there's the "pairing" problems. Virtually every combination of defensemen (Methot-Karlsson, Cowen-Gryba, Phillips-Wiercioch), (Cowen-Karlsson, Methot-Gryba, Phillips Wiercioch), (Methot-Karlsson, Phillips-Gryba, Cowen-Wiericicoh) has some significant downside given the lack of experience on the defensive side. Cowen, Gryba, and Wiercioch don't have 200 NHL games between them. A right hand shot 2nd pairing guy like Ian White could really help.

Thirdly, there's the issue of depth. Playing Wiercioch as a regular defenseman is fine, until there's an injury. At which time we remember that our success this year came from having Lundin, Wiercioch, Gryba, Borowicki, Benoit, etc.. as backups for a single position before the season even started. Assuming we allow Wiercioch to take Gonchar's minutes, who do we have as his backup and is that person ready to play 20 minutes a night?

Lundin/Benoit might be expecting more playing time than the Senators can offer and we'd be a lot thinner on the back end if they leave, having Wiercioch and Borowicki as a 7th/8th defenseman isn't the worst thing in the world if we can find a way to retain Gonchar or sign a quality short term replacement.

Forth, and most important, for once we have the budget space to sign someone. With so many players on bargain contracts we can fill the roster next season for something close to the cap minimum. For those keeping score, this is likely the worst roster the Senators will start next season with:

Greening - Spezza - Michalek
Conacher - Zibanejad - Silfverberg
Pageau/Hoffman - Turris - Condra
Kassian - Smith - Neil
Ex: O'Brien

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gryba
Phillips - Wiercioch
Ex: Borowicki

Anderson
Lehner

That roster will cost around 46.5 in cap space, minus some bonuses. We'd have 20 million in cap space, LOL.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:27 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
I'm fine with a 2 year deal.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

If he wants to stay why not offer him 1 year contracts?

Otherwise lets offersheet Nick Leddy out of Chicago.

Tubby Tuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:48 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
How so? Better QB at their ages currently and Streit stronger defensively and with a stronger offense can do better.
I absolutely do not think Streit is better defensively. In fact, I think Streit is downright bad defensively. Not physical, doesn't challenge well, and just does not have great awareness in his own zone. If you're hemmed in your own zone, and Streit is one of your blueliners on the ice, you're going to have a bad time.

Don't get me wrong, I like Streit. If we can't re-sign Gonch, Streit would be a nice consolation prize... but Gonchar is far and away the better overall player, and IMO his game works to Karlsson's strengths more, especially on the powerplay.

Streit is a bit better offensively at the moment, sure, but there is a chasm between the two defensively.

Old
05-12-2013, 07:51 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reg Season SC View Post
If he wants to stay why not offer him 1 year contracts?

Otherwise lets offersheet Nick Leddy out of Chicago.
Let's not offersheet ANYONE.

Offersheets: the worst possible way to try and improve your team. If the Ryan O'Reilly saga taught us anything, it's that unless you sign the guy to a ridiculous, staggeringly overpaid number, the other team will match. And then you run the risk of blackballing yourself a a GM. AND, if you manage to sign the RFA at that ridiculously inflated number, all you are doing is destroying the pay structure on your own team, and drastically inflating the price you will pay on "2nd contracts" around the league.

RFA offer sheets are for desperate GM's who care more about saving their jobs than they do the long-term health of their franchise. IMO.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Iconoclast
Get back

vCash: 853
What exactly does Nick Leddy bring to the table?

I watch very few Chicago games so the only thing I really know is that he put up decent numbers for me in my hockey pool this year. What about his defensive game and whereabouts would he play in our lineup?

Although if we go after 1 blackhawk this offseason I'd rather it be stalberg. Guy's a speed demon.

Iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Mika Zibanejad
Free Palestine

2 years. 4.5 mill
if he asks for more give him more, he is proven to help our offensive D develope.

Mika Zibanejad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Disagree entirely, Streit has been a bit of a mess defensively this year. Not nearly as much of a presence either, and far less likely to sign on than Gonch would be.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
I'm sure it has been considered. At this point however, it's a monumental and unnecessary gamble given our budget and cap space.

For one, we haven't seen Wiercioch a lot on the offside, so it's hard to project him there as an NHL regular. Then, even if he plays well, we'd be potentially moving him back to the lefthand side again next season if Phillips retires.

Secondly, there's the "pairing" problems. Virtually every combination of defensemen (Methot-Karlsson, Cowen-Gryba, Phillips-Wiercioch), (Cowen-Karlsson, Methot-Gryba, Phillips Wiercioch), (Methot-Karlsson, Phillips-Gryba, Cowen-Wiericicoh) has some significant downside given the lack of experience on the defensive side. Cowen, Gryba, and Wiercioch don't have 200 NHL games between them. A right hand shot 2nd pairing guy like Ian White could really help.

Thirdly, there's the issue of depth. Playing Wiercioch as a regular defenseman is fine, until there's an injury. At which time we remember that our success this year came from having Lundin, Wiercioch, Gryba, Borowicki, Benoit, etc.. as backups for a single position before the season even started. Assuming we allow Wiercioch to take Gonchar's minutes, who do we have as his backup and is that person ready to play 20 minutes a night?

Lundin/Benoit might be expecting more playing time than the Senators can offer and we'd be a lot thinner on the back end if they leave, having Wiercioch and Borowicki as a 7th/8th defenseman isn't the worst thing in the world if we can find a way to retain Gonchar or sign a quality short term replacement.

Forth, and most important, for once we have the budget space to sign someone. With so many players on bargain contracts we can fill the roster next season for something close to the cap minimum. For those keeping score, this is likely the worst roster the Senators will start next season with:

Greening - Spezza - Michalek
Conacher - Zibanejad - Silfverberg
Pageau/Hoffman - Turris - Condra
Kassian - Smith - Neil
Ex: O'Brien

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gryba
Phillips - Wiercioch
Ex: Borowicki

Anderson
Lehner

That roster will cost around 46.5 in cap space, minus some bonuses. We'd have 20 million in cap space, LOL.
Ian White? No! No! No!!!

But I agree with much of the rest of what you say!

We need to resign Gonchar. It is a gimmee! He was so HUGE this year and we have 20 million in cap space. (15-16 million if Alfie resigns)

Gonchar is an all time great. He is the equal of Larry Murphy. So many similarities. Murphy was good at 39/40 on Detroit cup teams. Gonchar is sure good now. He is 2nd in ice time. I LOVE Methot. I LOVE Cowen. But I TRUST Maclean. He gives Gonchar consistently more ice time then them. With Karlsson or not. Playoffs or not. He is our 2nd D-Man! A ROCK this season! How can we NOT resign him? 1 or 2 years. If he is serious he will play for 2 years. Sign him. If he wants more than 2 years.... then maybe you let him walk.

The Penguins were upset with him the first year they signed him. Crosby's rookie year. He got 59 points. And everyone said he was so overpaid. After that year he was no longer criticized... Their D Stud. We sign him for 3 when no one else would give him 3.... only 2. (as rumour holds...) Ups and downs at first but still he was good. Then this year... he is a ROCK!

If he says he can play... sign him 1 or 2 years... Cheap as you can though. $4-$5.5 million depending how shrewd Gonchar is.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Sens Rule

Benoit. Apparently he makes $300K in the AHL this year. That is a HUGE salary there. He is UFA and I am sure he would want to be in the NHL. We could sign him to $600K AHL $900K NHL Contract. Then he is gonna earn and if he gets claimed on wiavers going up or down he is in the NHL or earning in the AHL. Either way it makes any NHL team seriously consider him in the NHL. A way to sort of circumvent the cap and have depth.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Kamina
Amok

Re-sign him, let him mentor Wiercioch and eventually Ceci. They'll be ready at the end of the 1-2 years.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:30 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I'd keep him around another year just to teach our young Dmen his patented cross check to the lower back. He's made that an art. Doesn't get called all that often either.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote