HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jake Gardiner's Future

Old
05-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
If EDM wants Monahan to continue their never ending rebuild, our 1st for Gagne should be our offer.

But that belongs in another thread.

I can't do Gards for #7 straight up even though it is tempting. I think we need to grab a D-man in return.
Depends who is available at #7, Barkov, Monahan, are pretty enticing Center's for this team.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:55 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Depends who is available at #7, Barkov, Monahan, are pretty enticing Center's for this team.
They are enticing but watching the Bruins **** their pants when Gards has the puck in the neutral zone has been pretty enticing too.

The kid is special. I think he is worth more than the #7(or the #4), simply because he is NHL ready.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Right now I wouldn't trade him. What is the potential of a top 10 pick? Game breaker? Success

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:56 PM
allfive6

Send a message via Skype™ to allfive6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
we dont need more D... we need to trade D away for Center help... that is our only whole and our major asset to trade is either Gards or Rielly.... and i would keep Rielly
Wrong... first off no one ever has enough D second trading Gardiner before the Leafs know what they have is a mistake the leafs have made far to often in the pass

allfive6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:56 PM
JimLaheyprobert

Gardiner had a good game tonight. If he figures out his defensive side of the game hes a very valuable player.

JimLaheyprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
Gardiner had a good game tonight. If he figures out his defensive side of the game hes a very valuable player.
Tonight was the best defense I think I've seen him play. He was never close to a liability out there. Forwards had his back all night

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:59 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
He seems to have it figured out this series. He's playing physical and has been very effective at stripping the puck from the Bruins' forwards in the corners.

Slightly OT, but Franson also looks really good on that pairing. Guy's playing a punishing physical game for the first time in his life this year.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:01 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Just glad we have Gardiner and Rielly.. If they do end up moving one of them it will be for a similar, high-end young forward.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

gardiner has been awesome the past few games. very confident with the puck yet still making smart plays for the most part

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:02 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 671
Franson Gardiner staring to become my favorite tandem. He'll of a game from those guys tonight.

crump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:11 PM
Eternal Leaf

That one shift where he was all over the ice making plays just shows what he's bound to become in a few years.

Beast mode.

A 22 year old playing like that, just amazing.

Eternal Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:13 PM
TheKule

A couple high risk plays almost hurt him tonight but for the most part he was very dynamic when he needed to be. I'm gonna go ahead and say he's been the best Leafs skater this series.

TheKule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:17 PM
glasses91

Amazing game by the young stud.

Stop talking about trades dummies.

glasses91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Pi

Jake Gardiner's Future: Amazing.

But but let's just trade the young stud defenseman for Sean Couturier who is a slow skater and has little hockey IQ to make good plays in the O-zone.

There is a good chance that Gardiner will get more points than him as a DEFENSEMAN than Couturier will as a FORWARD next season.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:19 PM
deepz

Gardiner = proven himself to be above average in the NHL.

Top ten picks = unpredictable.

Why is this "trade Gardiner" thing even still a debate. He's done nothing but excel and IN THE PLAYOFFS.

deepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:20 PM
goonx

Trading Gardiner away would be problematic next year. Unless Rielly out competes him for the job. He has a lot of poise and skill that we need for a good playoff run next year.

It's much more reasonable to trade liles away who's been overshadowed by gards this series. We won't get a top-end centre but we'll get a decent return for liles.

So what if we draft a top 10 pick? Will they be ready for next season? Probably needs at least 2-3 years of development.

We need NHL ready d now because the leafs will start being contenders in the next 2-3 years. They've proven that can compete with top-end teams and we're only a few pieces away (Another veteran top 4 Dman, an upgrade at centre).

Phaneuf - XXX
Gunnarsson-Franson
Gardiner-Fraser
Holzer/blacker/ranger

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

I want to see Jake Gardiner retire as a Maple Leaf.

Okay, thats a bit too far but I LOVE THE KID! Gardiner and Rielly will be our one-two punch in the future!!!

GO LEAFS GO!!!! GO PUCK MOVERS!

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Eternal Leaf

Gardiner isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Let's all drool at the potential of having Gardiner and Rielly in our Top 4 down the road.

Eternal Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonx View Post
Trading Gardiner away would be problematic next year. Unless Rielly out competes him for the job. He has a lot of poise and skill that we need for a good playoff run next year.

It's much more reasonable to trade liles away who's been overshadowed by gards this series. We won't get a top-end centre but we'll get a decent return for liles.

So what if we draft a top 10 pick? Will they be ready for next season? Probably needs at least 2-3 years of development.

We need NHL ready d now because the leafs will start being contenders in the next 2-3 years. They've proven that can compete with top-end teams and we're only a few pieces away (Another veteran top 4 Dman, an upgrade at centre).
A top four consisting of Franson, Gardiner, Phaneuf and Rielly in the medium term would be a tantalizing proposition, with Gunnarsson and whomever rounding things out. Franson looks like one of those classic rangy defensemen who shows glimpses of a great defenseman who can log huge minutes and control the flow of a game, Phaneuf is Phaneuf, and Gardiner and Rielly can form to be a pretty important duo on two separate pairings...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:28 PM
goonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
A top four consisting of Franson, Gardiner, Phaneuf and Rielly in the medium term would be a tantalizing proposition, with Gunnarsson and whomever rounding things out. Franson looks like one of those classic rangy defensemen who shows glimpses of a great defenseman who can log huge minutes and control the flow of a game, Phaneuf is Phaneuf, and Gardiner and Rielly can form to be a pretty important duo on two separate pairings...
Unfortunately, i don't think rielly is ready yet. He hasn't made an impact on the marlies and probably needs more seasoning. He's doesn't look like he has an NHL body yet either. I could be wrong and he could impress at camp.

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:30 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by allfive6 View Post
Wrong... first off no one ever has enough D second trading Gardiner before the Leafs know what they have is a mistake the leafs have made far to often in the pass
ive said in multiple threads i would only trade Gards for someone who is a lateral move... so a Sean Couterier or Jeff Skinner type... the leafs have a lot of promising prospects coming up soon and imo Gardiner is our best trade chip to get a #1 C... but my god has he impressed these playoffs

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonx View Post
Unfortunately, i don't think rielly is ready yet. He hasn't made an impact on the marlies and probably needs more seasoning. He's doesn't look like he has an NHL body yet either. I could be wrong and he could impress at camp.
Maybe not next year, in the medium term future, everyone will still be young in 3-4 years...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Jake Gardiner's Future: Amazing.

But but let's just trade the young stud defenseman for Sean Couturier who is a slow skater and has little hockey IQ to make good plays in the O-zone.

There is a good chance that Gardiner will get more points than him as a DEFENSEMAN than Couturier will as a FORWARD next season.
He already did that in their respective rookie years. No biggy

Eyedea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:39 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
He's just been amazing as this series has gone on. Major props to him for how good he's been.

No way I move him in the near future. We have a couple exciting defencemen with Gardiner and Rielly so I say we take full advantage of that. He's come alive in this series so I say we enjoy what we've got here.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:40 PM
shaner89

Migh have been the best player on the ice

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote