HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's to stay and who's to leave?

Old
05-12-2013, 10:08 AM
NLHabsFan

vCash: 500
The players I think will be gone:

UFAs - Drewiske, Nokelainen, and Ryder
RFAs - Weber and Mayer
Buyout - Kaberle

I believe Armstrong and Halpern should be upgraded but there is still the possibility both will be back.

Players I wouldn't mind seeing moved:

Gionta - I think Gallagher took his place as the small, feisty RW. I think he still has some good value left with only one year left on his deal, but his injury may change that.

Bourque - Still has 3 years left on his deal and not at an overly high cap hit. I have no problem with him on the team but wouldn't be against an upgrade if possible.

Moen - Same as Bourque.

Desharnais - Not so much this upcoming season because I think Galchenyuk will still play wing. But soon his spot will be needed for the continued progression of our franchise player.

White - RFA and love his game when he plays at his best. Wouldn't be against an upgrade but he brings energy to the team.

Gorges - A lot of term left on his deal. Don't think he is overpaid, but we need a bigger, meaner version of him in his role. Not big enough (IMO) for the team's makeup.

Diaz - Had a strong first part of the season, never got back there after his injury. I think he'll be there again next season; smart defender and good puck mover. Problem is the Habs need bigger defenders in front of the net.

I think the Habs need to take advantage of their many picks this year and try to acquire some players to add to their core that can help put us over the top. I also think there are some quality bottom six forwards available UFA that could help change the culture of the Habs. This should be an important summer for MB.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:12 AM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I remember last summer, a lot of posters were telling me that with Markov returning the team would again become a playoff team, and that the Habs have a better record with Markov in the lineup.

Now, you all want him gone.
IMO Markov needs to be kept. But we need an upgrade at the top of our Defence chart so he can see his role reduced a little bit. Not be a number two, but the three or even four. He has lost a step but is still great on the PP and can play effectively 5-on-5 and PK. Just can't be the main focus moving forward now.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

One thing a lot of people keep overlooking in this "get rid of everybody" session, if you're going to dump a player(or players) you need to bring in somebody better or you're just hurting the team and taking steps backwards.

It's one thing to say let's let Armstrong walk and sign Nystrom/Bordeleau etc, but if you start moving Markov, Gionta, Diaz and even DD it leaves a sizeable hole which will be very $$$ expensive to fill with a UFA and expensive in terms of assets by trade.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
How about we needed some time to see how slow he was really going to be? It's called analysis with more details. Not sure why it's wrong. I'm also sure that 2 weeks after acquiring Ryder, we all wanted to give him a 10-year contract. And now we all want him gone...etc. You have to be patient and need time to analyse. Game day threads doesn't exist to be patient, they exist to vent at the present moment. Then you have threads like taht who exist after seeing things for quite some time. By the way, it's still doesn't mean we're always right...
Markov isn't THAT slow, just taking time to adjust to no longer having above average speed/acceleration. I think he has the smarts to make the adjustment, plus an off season of rest then training might get a bit more out of his speed. Going from barely any hockey in 24 months to a condensed schedule surely didn't help.

There is also the aspect of replacing him. If you trade him that leaves a big hole in the top 4 and a weak UFA crop to try and fill it.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
IMO Markov needs to be kept. But we need an upgrade at the top of our Defence chart so he can see his role reduced a little bit. Not be a number two, but the three or even four. He has lost a step but is still great on the PP and can play effectively 5-on-5 and PK. Just can't be the main focus moving forward now.
With a healthy Emelin plus bringing in a Regehr, I think you can more evenly spread out your ice time other than Subban(who should play 23-25 minutes). Gorges Diaz Emelin Markov can all play 20-22. Regehr 16-18 minutes.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I remember last summer, a lot of posters were telling me that with Markov returning the team would again become a playoff team, and that the Habs have a better record with Markov in the lineup.

Now, you all want him gone.
This is kinda the best post in recent history on HF.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
No, he'll keep Plekanec because he's not insane.
You mean the disappearing in the playoffs guy? I'll trade him for Stewart straight up.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:02 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
You mean the disappearing in the playoffs guy? I'll trade him for Stewart straight up.
And you'd sink the team. Congrats. Pleks was one of our best forwards in these playoffs.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:02 PM
gusfring

For the most part, this will be the same team. Org is not aggressive enough and will use injuries as an excuse...

Just watch.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
And you'd sink the team. Congrats. Pleks was one of our best forwards in these playoffs.
Not the last game. He was on some games, off some other games. And in the end, we got eliminated.

Plek is useful but not untouchables if we can upgrade.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Guess you didn't watch the games. He was playing good with an injury. 4 points in 5 games. Heavy minutes against teams top lines.

Right now, none of Eller,DD or Galchenyuk could replace Pleks roles.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:39 PM
BakerNator

Halpern can be resigned.

Why not keep Derewskie at league minimum? He could be a lot better with a full preseason behind him and could be useful over a full season.

Armstrong can go.

Moen @ $1.8m offers nothing

Ryder, he is great when you are scoring and doing well. But when the team is down he is down. Unsure if i want he resigned.

BakerNator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:18 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
Me neither specially considering getting criticism from a user with Ottawa and GohabsGo in his name
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
actually, you said Plekanec did not produce in the P.O. wich is false.
I'm from Victoria, but I'm moving to Ottawa in September for school - does my opinion deserve to be discounted because *oh the horror* I'll be living in Ottawa? Since I'll be an Ottawa-ian, I must not be a Habs fan or know anything about them.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:42 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Deshjarnais is interesting. We just signed him for four years. I agree he's too small to be on our team but man, I don't see us trading him.

Plekanec always seems to play under the radar. Doesn't really show up in the postseason... yet nobody ever suggests dealing him away. Not suggesting that we should, just strange how some people get hammered and others don't.

One thing's for sure... too many small forwards. Gallagher goes nowhere so that leaves at least three others who are on the team, some of whom need to be moved. Pleks? Probably not. Gionta and DD. Something's got to change there. Good players but not altogether. And I think that MB must know this. I expect at least one of these guys if not two will be gone.

Keep Budaj. No way on MaxPac or Price either, they go nowhere.
I definitely agree for the most part:

MaxPac: Stay
Price: Stay
Pleks: Stay
Gionta: Possible trade, but just as likely to stay
DD: I really don't know
Gallagher: Stay ofc
Gorges: ???? Stay?

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Habiton

Gorges has earned the chance to redeem himself as does most of our team. Add some bottom six hard to play against players with a bug, tough minute rating defenseman and we will take 1st.

No ripping out the core needed here, a few tweaks and an important piece or two and we are living the high life.

Gio - Pleks - Bourque
Galch - Eller - Gally
Patches - DD - Clowe/Clarkson/Bickell
Nystrom - Boyd - Prust
Moen/Halpern

Subban - Regher/Gorges/Trade?/Tinordi
Markov - Emelin
Tinordi/Gorges/regher/trade? - Diaz
Murray/hainsey/Drewskie
Boullion

Price
Budaj

Realistically it's not asking much, and I think it is what Bergiven will do. We are a contender and a few pieces away from being a consistent one.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:43 AM
WakeUpNHL

Must GTFO:

Desharnais
Diaz
Desharnais
Gorges
Desharnais
Gionta
Deharnais
Boullion

and of course Ryder, Armstrong, Halpern, and did I mention Desharnais?

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:04 AM
Pricenyuk
Montreal961

vCash: 310
Gionta and DD packing their bags is a sight that can not come soon enough.

Markov's time has almost come. I would love to see him retire as a Hab, but not if he is a constant liability. I see him as a 3rd pairing guy next season. We need to upgrade on D. Boullion will serve as the 7th man for one more season. After that, he should be let go.

Gorges had a rough season. For a defensive defenseman, he wasn't very good in his own zone. Costly mistakes and a lack of physicality also held him back this season.

Price will be fine. It's clear that he was paying hurt for a while. Will be better with a regular season and more rest/practice time. Budaj will stay as back up. Hopefully he has a good year, or else I would suggest seeing what Tokarski can do for us, for a few games. He has done well this year for Hamilton, despite the losing season.

Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Subban, and Tinordi will be young cornerstones of this franchise.

Pacioretty had a pretty rough year. I dislike that he was stuck with DD for most of the year. Leaves me wondering what he could have accomplished with a capable center man.

Bourque proved himself this season, IMO. If he plays like that for the remainder of the time in MTL, I will be very happy with his acquisition.

Kaberle is an obvious buyout.

Prust was a great pickup. Very glad we got him. Prust and White stay, while Moen better pick up his game next season, or I'll be looking for a trade deadline deal.

Emelin, Eller, Plekanec, will return and be great for us once again.

Halpern and Armstrong are expendable.

Ryder should be gone.

Pricenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:09 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
4 pts in 5 games (higher than his reg. season pace)
most productive forward
had to play with Gionta who isnt producing much anymore
was among the best in the league in FO in the 1st round

had others disappeared just like him, we could be talking about the 7th game right now...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:12 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal961 View Post
Gionta and DD packing their bags is a sight that can not come soon enough.

Markov's time has almost come. I would love to see him retire as a Hab, but not if he is a constant liability. I see him as a 3rd pairing guy next season. We need to upgrade on D. Boullion will serve as the 7th man for one more season. After that, he should be let go.

Gorges had a rough season. For a defensive defenseman, he wasn't very good in his own zone. Costly mistakes and a lack of physicality also held him back this season.

Price will be fine. It's clear that he was paying hurt for a while. Will be better with a regular season and more rest/practice time. Budaj will stay as back up. Hopefully he has a good year, or else I would suggest seeing what Tokarski can do for us, for a few games. He has done well this year for Hamilton, despite the losing season.

Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Subban, and Tinordi will be young cornerstones of this franchise.

Pacioretty had a pretty rough year. I dislike that he was stuck with DD for most of the year. Leaves me wondering what he could have accomplished with a capable center man.

Bourque proved himself this season, IMO. If he plays like that for the remainder of the time in MTL, I will be very happy with his acquisition.

Kaberle is an obvious buyout.

Prust was a great pickup. Very glad we got him. Prust and White stay, while Moen better pick up his game next season, or I'll be looking for a trade deadline deal.

Emelin, Eller, Plekanec, will return and he great for us once again.

Halpern and Armstrong are expendable.

Ryder should be gone.
I think we should keep Ryder if it's not too long and affordable. Nothing wrong with secondary scoring.

Bourque can stay but only and I mean ONLY if he's willing to park himself in front of the net and screen goalies for us. He's GOT to do this more.

Markov... the time to trade him for value has passed. He can stay or go, it doesn't matter much to me. I wouldn't be sad to see him go though. There's got to be some teams out there that need PP help.

DD, Pleks, Gionta... one or two of these guys has to go because we've got Gallagher who isn't going anywhere. Just too small a group. Cant believe this record is still broken.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:15 AM
76ftw

Quote:
Not the last game. He was on some games, off some other games. And in the end, we got eliminated.

Plek is useful but not untouchables if we can upgrade.
Well we got eliminated so we may as well trade PK, Chickie and Price too. I mean, we lost so there's no reason to keep anyone.

Plekky is just as much part of the core as any of those guys are (he's just a little bit older).

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:25 AM
76ftw

Realistic Observation I think/hope is that we:

-Colby Armstrong: Gone
-Mike Blunden: Gone or AHL Call Up
-Rene Bourque: Keep Him
-Deshernais: Keep him (we just resigned him, there's no way we're going to trade him, though I wouldn't be against moving him)
-Dumont: AHL call up, but I wouldn't be opposed to him starting in the NHL.
-Eller: Keep Him of course, part of the core now.
-Galchenyuk: Part of the core.
-Gallagher: Part of the core
-Gionta: Keep him. We won't move him, he's our captain, we're stuck with him one way or another. He's not as good as he was, but he's still serviceable, just a bit expensive.
-Halpren: I'd love to keep him, but he might retire or something who knows.
-Moen: Move him if we can.
-Pacioretty: Keeper, part of the core
-Plekanec: Part of the core (sort of)
-Prust: Keep him, so much heart and soul.
-Ryder: Gone
-White: I have no idea how they're going to go with him. Keep him or not I guess.

-Beaulieu: Still needs the AHL.
-Boullion: He's not that bad at all, so keep him, but way less minutes.
-Diaz: I think he has a year left? Keep him and pray he plays like he did before his injury.
-Drewiskie: What's his contract situation? I guess we'll keep him as a depth guy? Could move him for a draft pick.
-Emelin: Isn't he a FA? Resign him for sure.
-Gorges: We won't move him, but I wouldn't exactly cry a river if we do.
-Kaberle: Buy out.
-Markov: Still a good PP guy, not bad 5 on 5 and PK. No way we will move him, had a good year.
-Pateryn: AHL but probably the first guy we call up.
-Subban: Best player we've had in a long time. Just dominant.
-Tinordi: NHL for sure. Maybe if we can get a more experienced guy send him to the AHL to dominate, but I have no problem with him in the NHL.
-Weber: Trade him for a pick if we can. Worst case ontario keep him in the NHL but he deserves a shot somewhere.

-Budaj: Keep him. Doubt we can get a better backup at this point.
-Price: Keep of coruse. He's our work horse whether the haters wanna admit it or not. He's a top 5 guy in the league.

I doubt there will be too much overhaul, but I'd love to see us add a big winger to replace Ryder. I love the skill, speed, shiftiness we currently have, but I can't deny it was awesome to see Bourque being as good as he was in the playoffs. Having another guy (Clowe or whomever) would be frigging awesome.

Bourque-Plek-Gionta
Clowe-Deshernais-Patches
Gallagher-Eller-Chuckie
Prust-White/Halpren/UFA/-Moen/UFA

Markov-Emelin
Subban-Gorges
Diaz-Tinnordi/Bouillion

Price
Budaj

Is not a bad team at all and we would compete for a solid playoff spot, I think. Then again, I have more faith in DDH then most I think. I still think, if he has a big body, who plays like a big body (not Patches when he was hurt in the playoffs) he could be a very effective, shifty centreman. He made some nice passes in the playoffs, so the vision is there he was just being physically dominated I guess. If he had Clowe and Patches on his wings being physical, I think we could see him do well again. That third line was deadly for us, and I think having 3 lines that are pretty much equal will be stellar.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:26 AM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
Well we got eliminated so we may as well trade PK, Chickie and Price too. I mean, we lost so there's no reason to keep anyone.

Plekky is just as much part of the core as any of those guys are (he's just a little bit older).
He's not a part of that core at all... That core is what will lead this team for the next decade, plekanec won't be there, now he is important but expendable

Habsfannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:47 AM
Punkeater

Next year might count as a transition year between the vets and the kids. Will Bergevin makes bold move ala Brian Burke or will he just let Gionta and Markov contract expire. Get another year of Plekanec and Desharnais?

Galchenyuk to play another year as a winger to help a smooth transition.
Give more and more icetime for Eller. He needs to play power play a lot more.

Trade Gionta and Markov at trade deadline if the Habs are struggling to get something for them.

I would take a run at Clarkson this summer and Ryan Jones from Edmonton. A feisty player with good speed that is a good teammate. Can hit, can fight, can score some big goals.

I heard that Montreal tried to get Torres at the trade deadline so don't be surprised if Montreal sign him this summer. Could be a great move honestly. We keep saying we don't need player like this in the lineup but every teams have some and since the NHL doesn't really suspend that much for illegal hits, why not get our own "head hunter" to get a little respect over the league?

So either Bergevin goes all in this summer and gives the team to the kids or he waits for another year to let Gionta and Markov's contracts expires.

About Desharnais... I think it was a bad move from Bergevin. He signed him while Desharnais was "hot" so I think it was a little fast and reactive signings... He was going on to be RFA this summer and I don't think it was a risk to wait for the summer to give him a contract. It would have been a different one for sure... But Desharnais isn't the only reason why he struggled, his partner, Pacioretty, had some trouble too. The thing with Desharnais is that without physical partners that make up room for him, he's almost useless... ++ We've seen that it's even more true in the playoffs with the tight and physical play.

Future is really bright. What I would like to see is center line of:
Galchenyuk - 1st line center
Eller - 2nd line center
Plekanec/Desharnais - 3rd line center?

If I have to choose between Plekanec or Desharnais. I would pick Plekanec. He would be perfect as a third line center. Can play short handed. Can do everything on the ice and as a third line center without playing 20 or more minutes every game. I think he would look better. Of course he would needs some physical wingers too to succeed... Desharnais on the other end is tougher to trade right now... How can you justify trading a player you just sign?

So maybe:

2013-2014 season: Part with Plekanec in the summer before the season. He have some value and I know some team would love a player like at the right price and playing a lesser role.

2014-2015 season: Part with Desharnais at the draft or in the summer before the season to make the full kids turnaround. Get a third line center in our own farm or via UFA.

Now growing really impatient for the 2013 draft with our 6 picks in the first 3 rounds!!

Last edited by Punkeater: 05-13-2013 at 02:14 AM. Reason: added something
Punkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:05 AM
MintyFresh

I'd like to grab another big forward a la Ryan Clowe type to fit on the first line

Ryan Clowe (or someone his style) - Plek - Bourque
Galch - Eller - Patch
Gally - Prust - Gio (or switch galch and gio)
Fighter - White - Moen
*Halpern or Armstrong

With the D, I think we need another big defencman who can play top 4 minutes. Maybe trade for Bieksa, maybe sign Regehr. This way we can take some minutes off Markov.

Subban - Gorges
Markov - Big Physical Dman
Tinordi - Emelin
Diaz - Bouillon

MintyFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:48 AM
ottawa
go habs go

vCash: 69
I wouldn't mind keeping Armstrong, he's good on the PK and although he's nothing special on the 4th line, he's definitely not hurting the team by being on that line.

I'd parth with Halpern, Drewisky, Weber, Nokelainen and Ryder