HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now, who is leading the race between Lats and Kost?

View Poll Results: Lats or Kost?
Latendresse 60 33.52%
Kostitsyn 56 31.28%
neck to neck 63 35.20%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-27-2006, 06:06 AM
rocketlives

vCash: 500
Last night's game won't help Lats' cause at all. However, If I were the decision maker, I'd find a way to keep Latendresse on board.

Kostitsyn and Perezhogin played better last night because they felt the pressure and they want to save their job in Montreal. Once Lats is returned to Drummondville, he's gone for the full year and I fear the Russians will go back to sleep.

So, I think BG should keep Latendresse with the team and let him play his 10 games at the rate of, say, 2 per week. This will lead us to the month of November at which time Latendresse can hopefully join the National Junior team's training camp.

In January the Habs could then decide if Lats is needed with the big team because of injuries or lack of grit and scoring on the team etc... or if he should be returned to Drummondville.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 07:13 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
So, I think BG should keep Latendresse with the team and let him play his 10 games at the rate of, say, 2 per week. This will lead us to the month of November at which time Latendresse can hopefully join the National Junior team's training camp.
Can he really do that? I mean, wouldn't the games that are played while he's on the roster, whether he's in the lineup or not, count towards the 9 games tryout?

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 07:35 AM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Screw Downey and Murray

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Perezhogin-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Samsonov-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
Begin-Bonk-Lantendresse

Extra: Johnson

Markov-Komisarek
Souray-Rivet
Streit-Dandenault

Extra: O'Byrne

Huet
Aebischer

Extra: Danis

That's my solution anyways, it's time for the kids! Last season we had three rookies and so will we this time!

Bonk has been good but i think if someone is willing to take him, they should pull the trigger and let him go. I would much rather see Johnson playing and Latendresse with the team. Looking at the roster, without him we have no real powerforward-type player. The team needs his grit.

About Ribeiro, he threw a nice solid hit against the bolts, that was a nice hit and unexpected really.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 07:37 AM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilist View Post
Can he really do that? I mean, wouldn't the games that are played while he's on the roster, whether he's in the lineup or not, count towards the 9 games tryout?
I think it goes by how many HE has played.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Is Lats really leading the team in points?

Is there a site with updates pre-season scoring stats?
No hes not:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nhl/teams/stats/MON/preseason

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 08:04 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Don't forget one othere thing that may influence Gainey/Carbo.

Lats is much younger than Kots and that means that he would be a UFA as he enters the prime of his career.

Teams seem to be letting the 18. 19, 20 years stay in the minors because they don't want to lose them on the back end of the contract.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

I made a vBookie event for this!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Fozz

I said Latendresse and here's why:
If Lats is sent back to junior, we loose him for the entire season and the fact is we need his size and goal scoring abilities.
Kostitsyn can be sent down and called back anytime when someone gets injured.
I think both these guys will play a role with the team this year but Kostitsyn will have to wait until someone else falls. However, being the first call-up, he could very well play 50+ games with us this year... There's always an injury.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 08:58 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

This blows!

I want to see Lats, Kots, Perez, Lapierre and Ferland play.

IMO, we can't keep them all even by sending them down to Hamilton or the Q. Eventually, BoB will have to make a choice between Kots and Perez...the other will need to be traded to fill other needs in our lineup - at defense because of our fourthcoming UFA's.

So many players so little ice time....

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

From the 4 pre-season games I saw, I'd say Latendresse is ahead in terms of on-ice results, simply because he brings an other dimension both Perezhogin and Kostitsyn can't.

But experience is always a factor with a conservative management such as the Habs brass, so Latendresse will have to be the clear cut winner to make the team.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:22 AM
rocketlives

Do we really have to keep duds like Murray and Downey? A year ago they weren't even in the picture. Last year Lats didn't make the big team because BG wanted to keep Pierre Dagenais. This year I would hate to see Lats lost for the season because we absolutely want to keep Garth Murray or Aaron Downey.

Old
09-27-2006, 10:44 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Do we really have to keep duds like Murray and Downey? A year ago they weren't even in the picture. Last year Lats didn't make the big team because BG wanted to keep Pierre Dagenais. This year I would hate to see Lats lost for the season because we absolutely want to keep Garth Murray or Aaron Downey.
I think Murray has value. That's not fair really, they both have value, but Murray adds more than Downey. I suspect Kostitsyn may go down until they can figure some things out. I suspect gainey may be having some talks with lats' agent as we speak. If the guy tries to use public opinion as a bargaining chip, that's the only way I see Lats not making it. Then again, I'm wrong at a frightening pace.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:59 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
Remember how we all thought Perez was ready for the big show and after a 20 stint, he burned out?
Yes I remember. I remember Perezhogin started to look like crap when Zednik came back of his injury and we had to put him on the 1st because he was a "goal scoring veteran" and had priority (contract, reputation, name it).

Next thing we know, Zednik plays like crap and we trade him for pucks. Last season showed clearly we had a logjam on the wings and had to make space for at least a top 2 winger.

But Gainey had to go and sign a small playmaking winger at 3,5 a pop. I have nothing against Samsonov but everyone knows the 1st line is set.

Next thing we know, we got a ballet squad that are going to cause headaches from their sick passes but nobody likes to shoot.

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 11:09 AM
rocketlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think Murray has value. That's not fair really, they both have value, but Murray adds more than Downey. I suspect Kostitsyn may go down until they can figure some things out. I suspect gainey may be having some talks with lats' agent as we speak. If the guy tries to use public opinion as a bargaining chip, that's the only way I see Lats not making it. Then again, I'm wrong at a frightening pace.
You have a good point. The only two players who wouldn't have to clear waivers if they were sent down are Kostitsyn and Latendresse. Kosty is the logical choice to be sent down as he can be called up without having to clear the league, and he would most likely be the first player to be called up in case of injuries. We all know there will be injuries sooner or later. If BG sends Lats to his junior team, he'll be lost for the entire season.

GL's agent is Pat Brisson and he's known to drive a hard bargain. If Latendresse has to play another year in the Q, I wouldn't mind Drummondville trading him to the Remparts where he'd be coached by Roy. St. Patrick knows a thing or two about winning.

Old
09-27-2006, 11:16 AM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

With out taking anything away from Kost who has finnally arrive and played well, Lats has been consistent and good since day 1 working hard shift after shift. Kost has played well the last 2 games. You have to give the edge to Lats on Kost and Kost on Zhogy since he has looked good for only 1/2 a game since the start. It's really close between them and the Habs will have some really tough descision to make.

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 11:34 AM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Thanks for the laugh McPhee - I can usually count on you; self depecrating humour can be refreshing amongst us 'know-it-alls' on occasion.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 11:36 AM
turnbuckle*

Quote:

I've thought about that as well -- would Lats really have played worse than Ivanans, Dagenais AND Vandermeer? I hope the organization has learned from last year's opening night roster mistakes.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 12:07 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezNc View Post
But the question is: HOW?

Unless you trade Perezhogin you cannot keep Latendresse on the team

you can have 13 th forward (12 + the extra one)
It's actually 14 forwards, Mr. Canada.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Bonin

We just gotta keep them both, start with perezhogin out of the line-up and wait for a trade/injury or for the first player to suck

Bonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Why do we need to wait so long to be allowed to vote in this place? I can see about starting threads, but what does voting change???

Anyway, I'd say Kostitsyn although Latendresse is once again putting up a good fight.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Make the lines as you wish, this is what I believe will happen:

Koivu, Higgins, Ryder, Ribeiro, Samsonov, Kovalev, Plekanec, Johnson, Bonk, Begin are all locks up front.

That is 10 guys who are likely to play every game they are healthy for.

You have room for 2 more regulars. IMO, to start the season, the Habs will sign Gui to a 10-game tryout contract. The other forward spot will go to Perezhogin, leaving Murray and Downey in the pressbox.

Kostitsyn will be sent to Hamilton to begin the season there with Grabovski (assuming he is healthy) and to help him settle in.

In the first 10 games, the team will make a final decision about Gui, and also see how Perezhogin is performing. When Gui's 10 games are up, if he is deserving of a spot, he will be signed to a real contract. If not, he will be sent back to Drumondville, and Kostitsyn will be called up.

If Gui sticks, and Perezhogin is underperforming, the team looks at making a trade to find room for Kostitsyn (if he's doing well in the early stages in the AHL), or simply puts Murray back into the line-up.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Lol and people wanted Gainey to sign Dumont... we are having an hard time making room for our young players! imagine with dumont in the mix...

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote