HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boogaard family sues NHL

Old
05-12-2013, 07:56 PM
nsvoyageurs

vCash: 500
Boogaard family sues NHL

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/13/sp...w-nytimes&_r=0

nsvoyageurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Green Blob*

Eh, this probably isnt going to go well.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:07 PM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

I honestly hope they win the suit. There has to be some accountability when team doctors are giving out heavy painkillers like they're candy.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Posture suit. I doubt anything comes from it. You would think that professional sports teams would be covered in terms of any potential death litigation.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Told you guys this was coming 2 years ago. An attorney in my building met with them, Rypiens family and a member of Mackenzie's family. Said they have a tremendous case.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Told you guys this was coming 2 years ago. An attorney in my building met with them, Rypiens family and a member of Mackenzie's family. Said they have a tremendous case.
I would love to see the evidence. Players still have some responsibility for their own safety. So if he was playing through chronic headaches and the such, thats partly on him.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:22 PM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I would love to see the evidence. Players still have some responsibility for their own safety. So if he was playing through chronic headaches and the such, thats partly on him.
I don't think anyone will argue players are without responsibility. When you keep injuries from the team and feed your drug habit form multiple sources you obviously have a great deal of the blame when things turn to ****.

But team doctors who prescribe an irresponsible amount of drugs, even after being made aware of a drug problem are obviously to blame also. That is a responsibility of the teams and the league.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:23 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

If their lawsuit is that the death is because of the league, I don't see how they win, especially when it was Derek's brother that gave him the pill and Derek was the one that consumed alcohol after taking that pill.

If the lawsuit were that the league doesn't properly care for injured players, well, that's a different beast.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:30 PM
beastly115

Shouldn't have mixed it with alcohol.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
Shouldn't have mixed it with alcohol.
Well he did this to himself. The average person knows to not mix prescription drugs with alcohol yet a lot of people continue to do this.. a lot of stupid people in this world. This should get thrown out of court.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGoalieSystem View Post
I honestly hope they win the suit. There has to be some accountability when team doctors are giving out heavy painkillers like they're candy.
I don't.

It's ultimately the user's responsibility. He put those pills in his mouth.

And this is speaking as an ex-addict. I know what it's like.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsvoyageurs View Post
Funny how the NYT doesn't give a **** about hockey until they can use it for their own agenda. Not that this surprises me. The NYT doesn't give a **** about anything until they can use it for their own agenda.

I'm sick of everyone suing for everything. Is Boogaard's family going to return his salary to the NHL? A less than marginal hockey player clings to the NHL because the only thing he can do is fight. He gets paid more at doing this than he could otherwise earn in 10 lifetimes. He then kills himself by mixing alcohol with a drug that he knows should never be mixed with alcohol. But few lost money underestimating the intelligence of handpicked juries.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
But...but...he chose to play in the NHL...

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Aufheben
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 69
According to wiki it was 30mg of oxycodone, is that true? (Just wondering for a guy that big, even with no tolerance, that's not really a lot. Each alcoholic drink exponentially increases risk of respiratory depression, though; very dangerous. Add xanax to that mix and you're incredibly lucky to wake up again. Very sad.)

Last edited by Aufheben: 05-12-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Aufheben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:18 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I've never seen a plaintiff's lawyer claim someone didn't have a "tremendous case."

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Cmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
According to wiki it was 30mg of oxycodone, is that true? (Just wondering for a guy that big, even with no tolerance, that's not really a lot. Each alcoholic drink exponentially increases risk of respiratory depression, though; very dangerous. Add xanax to that mix and you're incredibly lucky to wake up again. Very sad.)
There is no such thing as a 30mg percocet. I'm wondering if it was a 30mg roxy, which is pretty high.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Aufheben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
There is no such thing as a 30mg percocet. I'm wondering if it was a 30mg roxy, which is pretty high.
Yeah but they both contain oxycodone, sometimes with acetaminophen, which would make it also a lot more dangerous. Just goes to show, just because you're in the NHL doesn't mean everything is flowers and lollipops (or whatever).

Old
05-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

Quote:
Yeah my friend died from 20 mg (2 10 mg percs) and a few beers. It doesn't take much for someone who doesn't have a tolerance. Even a big boy. It is pretty rare though, I mean without getting into it, I've known people who have done a lot more and survived but it's a risk you take. Drugs aren't an exact science and any drug (or even worse) mixture of drugs can be potentially fatal. (Unless, of course, it grows from the ground and rhymes with "meed")

It's a sad, sad tragedy and my heart goes out to his family. I just wish they wouldn't blame the league for this.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Aufheben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
Yeah my friend died from 20 mg (2 10 mg percs) and a few beers. It doesn't take much for someone who doesn't have a tolerance. Even a big boy. It is pretty rare though, I mean without getting into it, I've known people who have done a lot more and survived but it's a risk you take. Drugs aren't an exact science and any drug (or even worse) mixture of drugs can be potentially fatal. (Unless, of course, it grows from the ground and rhymes with "meed")

It's a sad, sad tragedy and my heart goes out to his family. I just wish they wouldn't blame the league for this.
Yeah, people I grew up with have been dropping like flies in this area (North NJ) the last year. The perception that alcohol is not a drug has always bothered me, but that is going off-topic.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:46 PM
broadwayblue

Once in college I had one Oxy and a beer. I don't think I remembered the next 3 hours. Mixing that **** will mess you up.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Aufheben

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Once in college I had one Oxy and a beer. I don't think I remembered the next 3 hours. Mixing that **** will mess you up.
It's very bad for the liver, but the immediate danger is that you might stop breathing in your sleep, then your heart stops. The difference between waking up in the morning and not could literally be 1 beer.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
It's very bad for the liver, but the immediate danger is that you might stop breathing in your sleep, then your heart stops. The difference between waking up in the morning and not could literally be 1 beer.
It's the respiratory depression that's the killer.

Oxycodone has a minimal effect on the liver, combined with alcohol or not. The only danger to the liver is any acetaminophen that's combined with the pill (which is fairly easily separated from the oxy). There are percocet/vicodin abuse cases where the user eventually gets liver failure due to taking too much APAP because they're too stupid/lazy to filter it out, but the biggest danger is people getting drowsy, then laying down and stop breathing in their sleep.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Aufheben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
It's the respiratory depression that's the killer.

Oxycodone has a minimal effect on the liver, combined with alcohol or not. The only danger to the liver is any acetaminophen that's combined with the pill (which is fairly easily separated from the oxy). There are percocet/vicodin abuse cases where the user eventually gets liver failure due to taking too much APAP because they're too stupid/lazy to filter it out, but the biggest danger is people getting drowsy, then laying down and stop breathing in their sleep.
That's essentially what I mean, also kind of curious exactly what he consumed. Anyway I don't even see what this has to do with the NHL, I get that he was depressed because of his role as a hockey player, but if his brother gave him the pill and he drank the beers...?

Old
05-13-2013, 08:41 AM
bobby peru

I think it's insane that the ranger's (and other team's) doctors were wildly prescribing boogard with painkillers without ever being 'aware' of the prescriptions granted by the other team doctors. Whether they just pretended like they didn't know, or actually didn't, it doesn't matter as it's incredibly negligent and irresponsible on the team's behalf.

The rangers gave boogard an amount of pills that he could only ever sell or kill himself with.

bobby peru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:03 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby peru View Post
The rangers gave boogard an amount of pills that he could only ever sell or kill himself with.
How you gonna prove the rangers or the league knew or instructed the doctors to do that? And why would the Rangers want him to exceed a safe dosage. Makes no sense

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote