HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bernier trade in offseason?

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Omni Owl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
We are perfect trading partners with the Isle.

They need a goalie. We need a guy like Nino N.
Yup, just a matter of trying to pry him from their cold, Isley hands. I want him or Strome. But I'm worried Lombardi won't get anything for Bernier ala Thomas Hickey. Sometimes I question his assett management even though he does well, for the most part....

Old
05-12-2013, 11:33 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
Yup, just a matter of trying to pry him from their cold, Isley hands. I want him or Strome. But I'm worried Lombardi won't get anything for Bernier ala Thomas Hickey. Sometimes I question his assett management even though he does well, for the most part....
Bernier isn't getting sent down and won't lose him in waivers. The kings will get something for Bernier, it just won't be very much. Maybe a couple of draft picks after the first round.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:56 PM
northernKing

Bernier and King to NJ for the 9th overall in 2013 and a 3rd in 2014

Old
05-12-2013, 11:58 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernKing View Post
Bernier and King to NJ for the 9th overall in 2013 and a 3rd in 2014
Jersey has to forfeit the pick(in 2013). Kovi contract.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:59 PM
northernKing

Had Buffalo not added Hackett at the trade deadline I would have proposed a Bernier and King for Foligno and 1st rd pick deal. I believe Folingno would look great on the LW with Richards and Carter. Power forward with 30 goal potential. Oh well maybe

Old
05-13-2013, 12:05 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

Why only a mid-2nd? Lindback, Varlamnov, Bishop, etc. have all fetched more than that and Bernier is as proven as all of them except Varlamnov, who had playoff experience at that point. I'm expecting 2 2nds and another pick or a prospect, or the equivalent thereof.
Varly was a bad trade everyone knows that. Linback and Bishop each scored ~2nd round value (ie not a 1st).....Linback 2nd's and Bishop an average player (imo). Not to mention when each of those moves were made there was much lesser available and much more a market. The market for a goalie this summer is almost nonexistent....not to mention the amount of available starters on the market.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:08 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Varly was a bad trade everyone knows that. Linback and Bishop each scored ~2nd round value (ie not a 1st).....Linback 2nd's and Bishop an average player (imo). Not to mention when each of those moves were made there was much lesser available and much more a market. The market for a goalie this summer is almost nonexistent....not to mention the amount of available starters on the market.
Also MAF might be available. And Pitt will be in no position to ask a lot for him.

Teams would take him and pay what it takes to get him.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:09 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
They had till 2014 so either 2013 or 2014...and NJ is hosting this year...so doubt they give up this years...or trade it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernKing View Post
Had Buffalo not added Hackett at the trade deadline I would have proposed a Bernier and King for Foligno and 1st rd pick deal. I believe Folingno would look great on the LW with Richards and Carter. Power forward with 30 goal potential. Oh well maybe
Please don't post that anywhere else...unless you want people mad at you.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:14 AM
kingfansince1967

I still maintain that I would not be surprised if Montreal shows some kind of interest in Jonathan Bernier. He is young, has a great work ethic and would be joining a young team well in the building process. Carey Price is done in Montreal, his talk about it being tough to play in Montreal, if we read between the lines, means he wouldn't care less to depart. Would not be surprised if the Kings get involved in some kind of multi-team trade...

Old
05-13-2013, 12:39 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Bernier should be the number one goalie in LA. Quick will show you just why next series when he gives up five hundred goals.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:04 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Bernier should be the number one goalie in LA. Quick will show you just why next series when he gives up five hundred goals.
If this isn't a dance gif its irrelevant to me.....

Old
05-13-2013, 01:09 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Hopefully he ends up on the Flyers, they already have Schenn and Simmonds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Bernier to Philly for Matt Read

Please...

Why the hell would you wish that on JB? Philly is the worst place any young player can go, especially a goalie.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:16 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Maybe, but the kings still win the series.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:17 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Why the hell would you wish that on JB? Philly is the worst place any young player can go, especially a goalie.
It's cool that you care about our players, even the ones that are to be traded, but the bottom line is, we should focus on what's best for us, and not necessarily best for the player that's being traded.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:19 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Greiss should be the number one goalie in SJ. Niemi will show you just why next series when he gives up five hundred goals.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:58 AM
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing

Quote:
... GTFO

Old
05-13-2013, 02:24 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
They had till 2014 so either 2013 or 2014...and NJ is hosting this year...so doubt they give up this years...or trade it.
One thing that might make sense is for NJ to trade the 9th overall pick to Calgary for St. Louis and Pittsburgh's picks, or to Columbus for the Rangers and Kings picks.

Then one of those picks could be traded by NJ to LA for Bernier, and NJ will still have a pick to make in the first round.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:35 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
It's cool that you care about our players, even the ones that are to be traded, but the bottom line is, we should focus on what's best for us, and not necessarily best for the player that's being traded.
Dean's M.O. says otherwise.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:32 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Dean's M.O. says otherwise.
Lubo says HI from Edmonton

Old
05-13-2013, 04:02 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
1) Don't do that here, and

Quote:
Yeah, Columbus really got ripped on the Carter trade. Man was that bad.
2) Ask any Columbus fan what they thought of that trade and each and every one of them will say the same thing: Jack Johnson + 1st was well worth the price of Jeff Carter. Hell, even ask us Kings fans while you're at it.

Old
05-13-2013, 06:50 AM
Luc Gretzky

Could this be massaged to work?

To NJ - Bernier + Muzzin

To LA - 1st (9th overall) + Hedberg

Old
05-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Face Wash

The Kings are going to make a qualifying offer to Bernier of $1.5M (his current salary) which is all they're required to do to keep his RFA rights. He will decline the offer of course. Knowing he's a RFA, GMs aren't going to offer much more than what they'd have to give the Kings in compensation for signing him to an offer sheet (my guess is a few years at about $2M or $2.5M per year. Maybe they offer a little more to entice the Kings to part with him, but he's still in many ways an unproven commodity.

I think he gets the Kings at best at the draft a 2nd rounder and a mid-level prospect unless the Kings package him with someone. But on his own, he's not going to be worth much more than a 2nd. The league has established Bernier's value thru the RFA process and he's only been able to prove himself to a certain degree in the NHL to warrant a contract in the $2M to $3M range (2nd Round Pick compensation).

Old
05-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Whiskeypete

the biggest issue DL faces now is what appears to be a glut of goalies hitting the market this summer. fortunately many of them are showing up with quite a bit of baggage included. off the top of my head the following guys will likely be moved or at least shopped.

Luongo / Schneider - still to be seen what happens in VAN, but Lou will likely be the one to go. at minimum VAN uses a buyout on him, which puts him on the open market.

R Miller - BUF starts the full rebuild, cuts salary and gains picks or prospects.

Bryz - PHI uses a buyout and re-rolls the dice in net. S Mason is the apparent heir, but that leaves a back up and possibly even the starter spot open. Mason still a huge question in net

J Hiller - one year left on his deal. Fasth as good if not better, J Gibson and Andersen in the wings. ANH starts shopping Hiller to save cap room and secure pick/prospect

R Emery - UFA after this year. had good numbers this past season in CHI and will possibly look for a #1 role someplace.

M Smith - UFA this summer. hard to say if he would stay in the desert or move on from a shaky situation and team that is mired in quicksand.

Halak - one year left on his deal and apparently in Hitch's doghouse. is being paid as the starter, but Elliott has passed him on the chart. not sure of STL's depth after these two, but it is possible Armstrong moves Halak and secures a different and cheaper backup to save cap and push Elliott

these are just the big names that are being mentioned as either UFA or possibly being shopped. take it down to the next level of current backups and teams #3G's (#1 G in AHL) and the summer goalie market is going to be stocked.

one major advantage though DL will have is the guys i listed are typically 30+ y.o. and as i said they bring baggage with them. they may not be future franchise goalies to build around, but they can be that 'bridge' player for a team.

i was optimistic of DL getting a 1st for JB in the draft, but right now i don't see it. there is to much supply on the market. i think NYI, BUF, NJ and PHI will be the most likely trade partners. all four of them are out of conference and either in full rebuild, or at the point they need to address their G late in the rebuild process.

the point of MTL now being a possible destination is also something i wouldn't discount. after Price's performance this spring it won't surprise me to see the Habs move away form him. they did the same thing after J Theodore didn't live up to expectations. the fact that JB is from Quebec makes this even more of a possibility. never, ever discount the whole French Canadian - Montreal connection.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:52 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
No they don't, they have until next draft to forfeit a pick.

Quote:
Varly might be a bad trade, but it's still a comparible. Lindback fetched 2 2nds and a 3rd, so arguably same overall value as what Varlamnov fecthed anyways. And Bishop fetched a guy who is 23 and coming off a fairly successful rookie season, so hardly an average player.

I still expect Bernier to fetch a pair of 2nds and something else (pick/prospect).

Old
05-13-2013, 10:54 AM
KingsFan7824

Bernier plays the wrong position, in the wrong league, on the wrong team, at the wrong time.

Closed Thread