HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2013, 10:43 PM
otto bond

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
Please don't tell me you think Price was the reason we got 2nd in the east ...
He was a factor ...yes.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRiles View Post
Are we really surprised by this at all? Price complains about the fans every season after the team is eliminated. It is like a Soap Opera, and quite comical.

Sommes-nous vraiment étonnés par ceci du tout ? Price se plaint au sujet des fans chaque saison après qu'on élimine l'équipe. Il est comme un Feuilleton, et tout à fait comique.
I think he was pretty mature in his comments.

As for yours... that's another matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Price comments are a bit concerning. He does not seem to like playing in Montreal. The hobbit in a hole comment is a red flag for me. I do not think he has the personality to thrive in Montreal. You compare with Subban who craves media attention, craves fan attention, shows up at every social event, wants to live the big life and be adored. His comments about the CBC people said it all (paraphrasing) : I kinda like it. It fuels the fire. That is the type of personality that can succeed in Montreal as a star player.

Also, the part where he says I can win a cup. Well, almost any goalie can win a cup with a powerhouse team. Not sure why he feels the need to say that. Does he mean he can win a cup being a main driving influence for the team ? Or more like a backseat driver on a good team ? This kind of ties in into what he was saying before the playoffs began when he said something like "I'm just another player on the team" when asked about expectations. In the meantime Therrien was saying Price was the best player and expected to make a difference.

And then he goes on to say he will look into what he needs to do to get better... Other players knew exactly what they needed to do. They knew what they had to focus on but from Price's comments, I didn't get the feeling he knew what was the problem. He was counting more on an 82 game schedule to train with Groulx like that would fix everything. I hope Groulx or whoever will be there, will have the answers because I don't know if Price does.

The "I don't come out anymore, hobbit in a hole" comments just feel like he's not happy here. I don't know how he can be successful here if that's the case.

But it's also entirely possible I'm reading way too much into this.
I think his comments reflect how he feels right now. No more, no less. I don't read too much into this. The guy's bummed out and if you read the comments by some of the folks in this thread... I can't say I blame him.

Maybe we do wind up moving him. Maybe he'll ask to be dealt.

All I'm saying is that if we do trade him, we'll regret it.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Habsoil

vCash: 50
Its not going to feel good in a few years if Price wins a cup elsewhere.
But i do believe, now is the time to trade him.

I know he had a rough ending to 2013 but his trade value is still very high.
He is still regarded as a future top 5 goalie overall.

I think if we can find the right deal, its time to cut our losses!
I really hope price can prove me wrong but i do not think he can succeed in Montreal.
Elsewhere yes but Montreal, no!

Old
05-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
********. I want the HABS to win the cup and do well. Nobody was happier than me when we won game 2 and price making sick save after sick save. That's the price I want.

Not Price where all his fanboys make excuses and we can't get an offensive star because our goalie is making 6.5 but playing like a 3 m $ goalie.

Just because I don't see Price as a franchise player doesn't make me any less of a fan than you.
No one disputes that you're a fan but you choose to overlook that the Price led the Habs to the Northeast division title. Do you actually think the Habs earned it by being second best overall in the East behind Pittsburgh and would have gotten there with Budaj in goal for 40+ games? I'm also a fan but I see the team's weaknesses (as you surely did in the Ottawa series) and what Price did to compensate for them throughout the season.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
No one disputes that you're a fan but you choose to overlook that the Price led the Habs to the Northeast division title. Do you actually think the Habs earned it by being second best overall in the East behind Pittsburgh and would have gotten there with Budaj in goal for 40+ games? I'm also a fan but I see the team's weaknesses (as you surely did in the Ottawa series) and what Price did to compensate for them throughout the season.
Price did not "lead". Price was ok during the year and the team played very well.

This is visible with Budaj's 8-1-1 ...would be 10-0-0 if it wasn't for Ryan White.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:52 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsoil View Post
Its not going to feel good in a few years if Price wins a cup elsewhere.
But i do believe, now is the time to trade him.

I know he had a rough ending to 2013 but his trade value is still very high.
He is still regarded as a future top 5 goalie overall.

I think if we can find the right deal, its time to cut our losses!
I really hope price can prove me wrong but i do not think he can succeed in Montreal.
Elsewhere yes but Montreal, no!
It better be a darn good deal but like any player, they have there price. IMO, he's at the top of the core with Subban, G27, G11 and for what ever reason aside from a gut feeling....Tinordi.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Habbadasher

I think we all agree that Price needs to play better, even he himself said that.

I think we all agree that Price, at this point, is overpaid. Management gave him that contract, so is it his fault?

No matter how much you are paid, getting sh** on so much is not fun, and has to wear on you, heck, it wore on Saint Patrick.

Being overly harsh will not get us the desired result.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:57 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Price did not "lead". Price was ok during the year and the team played very well.

This is visible with Budaj's 8-1-1 ...would be 10-0-0 if it wasn't for Ryan White.
Your right, Pice was OK this year.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I think he was pretty mature in his comments.

As for yours... that's another matter.

I think his comments reflect how he feels right now. No more, no less. I don't read too much into this. The guy's bummed out and if you read the comments by some of the folks in this thread... I can't say I blame him.

Maybe we do wind up moving him. Maybe he'll ask to be dealt.

All I'm saying is that if we do trade him, we'll regret it.
Losing Price and watching him achieve some great new ceiling full of cups and the sort does not scare me, it's the choice of the successor that does.

The mistake was made in 2005 when Price was chosen ahead of Rask and Quick, both of whom are undeniably better. That can't be undone.

But cutting losses and getting back in the game with a Backstrom or Luongo might be a zero sum game too. The team needs to get better in goal, not just change goalies.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Losing Price and watching him achieve some great new ceiling full of cups and the sort does not scare me, it's the choice of the successor that does.

The mistake was made in 2005 when Price was chosen ahead of Rask and Quick, both of whom are undeniably better. That can't be undone.

But cutting losses and getting back in the game with a Backstrom or Luongo might be a zero sum game too. The team needs to get better in goal, not just change goalies.
Agreed. We can debate how picking Kopitar or Quick or Rask would have been a better idea ..it doesn't matter now.

The problem today is that management is hanging on to Price and putting all the eggs in 1 basket, doesn't even have any youth goalie product in the system.

Nobody is advocating to go with Budaj as #1 next year. We need to get better in goal, with or without Carey, we need to get better performances from our goalies.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Doesnt' scare me either. But losing a player of his talents does.

Everyone just needs to chill the **** out man. Seriously...

If he comes back next year and he sucks, worry about it then. He's been great for the better part of three years and then slumps. All hell breaks lose. If we dump him after a slump, what kind of self-hating sadist would want to ****ing come here to play in nets for us?

Listening to the BS being spewn in this thread, it's just hilarious. It is what it is though, that's Montreal. Always has been, always will be. I personally think Price is a great goalie and can lead us to a cup. You don't? Fair enough. But to cut him now is stupid. The guy's certainly earned another season here. And personally I expect it to be a strong one.

We'll see I guess.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:08 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Doesnt' scare me either. But losing a player of his talents does.

Everyone just needs to chill the **** out man. Seriously...

If he comes back next year and he sucks, worry about it then. He's been great for the better part of three years and then slumps. All hell breaks lose. If we dump him after a slump, what kind of self-hating sadist would want to ****ing come here to play in nets for us?

Listening to the BS being spewn in this thread, it's just hilarious. It is what it is though, that's Montreal. Always has been, always will be. I personally think Price is a great goalie and can lead us to a cup. You don't? Fair enough. But to cut him now is stupid. The guy's certainly earned another season here. And personally I expect it to be a strong one.

We'll see I guess.
Yup and he is only 25 years old. Goalies don't peak until their mid to late 20's.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:12 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Agreed. We can debate how picking Kopitar or Quick or Rask would have been a better idea ..it doesn't matter now.

The problem today is that management is hanging on to Price and putting all the eggs in 1 basket, doesn't even have any youth goalie product in the system.

Nobody is advocating to go with Budaj as #1 next year. We need to get better in goal, with or without Carey, we need to get better performances from our goalies.
Fact: The darn team needs to get better.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
yes, including the goalie.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I think the team is getting better. That's the good news.

If we want to start winning now though, I think we need to add a veteran steady blueliner. A guy who can clear the crease and play physical hockey. We've got younger guys coming up and they'll be good for the future, but if we're done rebuilding, we need to add a steady presence back there to help out.

Up front... it's a broken record but we need to break up the smurfs. I'm sorry but DD, Gionta, Pleks and Gallagher is just too small as a group. Gallagher is great so we've got to keep him. I think it's time to say goodbye to Gionta and I'd be just fine with dealing DD. Not sure if we'll make any changes on that front but I think that it would help. Those guys are good players but as a group, their too small.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
yes, including the goalie.
If the defense gets better... The goalie will get better.

But if you rely on your goalie to get better, your defense wont get better.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

I definitely think that we could make life a lot easier for him than we do. This series was a classic example. Nobody at all in front of Anderson and Ottawa is sitting there having tea in our crease. You aren't going to win that way. Price or anyone else... we need to get better at this. At least the young blueliners coming up have some size.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Kirk Muller

I have no doubts in my mind, the same people who say they should have taken Quick or Rask or whoever, would be destroying those goalies today if Montreal had drafted them.

With Montreal fans the grass is always greener, and some will just hate the goalie no matter how they perform.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
I have no doubts in my mind, the same people who say they should have taken Quick or Rask or whoever, would be destroying those goalies today if Montreal had drafted them.
Without a doubt.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post

With Montreal fans the grass is always greener, and some will just hate the goalie no matter how they perform.
It's moot. Rask and Quick have cup rings, not 9-17 playoff records, and aren't on page 3 of the NHL save pct list.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Traitor8

Quote:

Price is the highest payed player on the team. He is expected to make the difference and he hasn't at all this year.

That is not to say that our defense and offense can't get better but for this team to get better and to improve, it starts with the highest payed player to actually play like a franchise player.

There are 11 players that I believe should leave this team so i'm not a "Carey Hater". There is a lot to be desired from this team but Price has to be better.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
It's moot. Rask and Quick have cup rings, not 9-17 playoff records, and aren't on page 3 of the NHL save pct list.
The playoff record argument is silly. It's meaningless dude. No different than Yzerman in his career where he was labeled a choker (despite playing well) as he watched his teams lose every year in the postseason.

9-17 doesn't mean ****.
Quote:
Price is the highest payed player on the team. He is expected to make the difference and he hasn't at all this year.
And that's BS. He was our best player at the start of the year and was solid until we qualified for the playoffs. Your mindless ravings don't change this.
Quote:
That is not to say that our defense and offense can't get better but for this team to get better and to improve, it starts with the highest payed player to actually play like a franchise player.

There are 11 players that I believe should leave this team so i'm not a "Carey Hater". There is a lot to be desired from this team but Price has to be better.
Except that you are.

I've read your posts for the past few weeks and you come off as a bit of a nutbar. Being passionate about the team is fine. Not believing that the goalie is good enough to win is also fine. But your posts go beyond this. I've had you teetering on my ignore list for some time now. Please don't sit there and pretend to tell us that you're looking at things with a clear mind because from reading your posts, I'd say that you'd be a good candidate to build a reality show around.

Just chill out man.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:50 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
The playoff record argument is silly. It's meaningless dude. No different than Yzerman in his career where he was labeled a choker (despite playing well) as he watched his teams lose every year in the postseason.

9-17 doesn't mean ****.
When you have under .900 save % in all but 1 season, yes it does mean something.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:03 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
When you have under .900 save % in all but 1 season, yes it does mean something.
Not really man. Esp when you look at the context of those early seasons and the teams he was behind.

Last time he was awesome and this time he was hurt. There's not enough history here to judge him yet.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:18 AM
CrazyShea

Quote:
...........he never had under .900% save percentage in a season

Closed Thread