HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Oil Kings Thread: 2012-2013 Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-12-2013, 09:16 PM
  #976
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,495
vCash: 500
I didn't expect the Oil Kings to win this series but what a disappointing way for it to end.

Rattie is just unstoppable right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The Oil Kings performance notwithstanding I'm so disappointed in Edmonton for not properly supporting these kids. Awful crowd (again) today. I guess that Edmontonians would rather get shelled for $100 a ticket to watch the Oilers lose every night. Terrible.

Congrats to Portland for this win, they were due and their fans certainly deserve it. Edmonton probably would have forgotten about it by tomorrow morning.
Meh it was mothers day, I wanted to go to the game but I had to go out for dinner with my Mom. Bad day for a playoff game.

SephF is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 09:24 PM
  #977
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,753
vCash: 500
Rattie. Yeah the guy we by passed for a at tops 4-6 Defensive dman who just happened to be the son of a scout. Can't wait till Musil makes the team in 4 years and plays those 5-6 dman minutes on the back end.

Beerfish is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 09:30 PM
  #978
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,819
vCash: 500
Anyone else see Lazar bust through the neutral zone, split Jones and Wotherspoon, and fly in on a breakaway? Carruth made a great save but Lazar was all smiles heading to the bench.

40oz is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 09:33 PM
  #979
Brewster
Registered User
 
Brewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Rattie. Yeah the guy we by passed for a at tops 4-6 Defensive dman who just happened to be the son of a scout. Can't wait till Musil makes the team in 4 years and plays those 5-6 dman minutes on the back end.
Honestly, unless Musil improves his footspeed considerably he'll struggle to crack the roster period, let alone in a #4 role.

Brewster is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 09:34 PM
  #980
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Rattie. Yeah the guy we by passed for a at tops 4-6 Defensive dman who just happened to be the son of a scout. Can't wait till Musil makes the team in 4 years and plays those 5-6 dman minutes on the back end.
The Oilers just throw away 2nd round draft picks, didn't you get the memo?

SephF is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 09:48 PM
  #981
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
They should consider moving. **** this city, apparently they don't want to support a quality product. They should go somewhere that will appreciate them.
Yeah, that was a well thought-out post.



This city supports the team.



My playoff pack was the best $99 I've spent in a long time.

MoneyGuy is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 09:49 PM
  #982
monkeywrench
Registered User
 
monkeywrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Anyone else see Lazar bust through the neutral zone, split Jones and Wotherspoon, and fly in on a breakaway? Carruth made a great save but Lazar was all smiles heading to the bench.
Yeah the highlight of the game for us I would say. I am very impressed with Lazar. I would not be sad if we traded down to draft him.

The negativity on this thread is a bit dumb right now. Be sad sure but no reason for anyone to negative towards Musil the guy had a solid season and playoffs. Scouts are not prefect, The drafts are usually a crapshoot after the first round.

monkeywrench is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 10:03 PM
  #983
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
I was there. It was obvious as soon as Portland tied it that the Oil Kings were out of gas and that the Winter Hawks were not going to be denied. Kudos to them.

As for the disappointing turnout, excuses abound- some legit, some not. The truth is, in many ways the Oilers have sucked a lot of the life out of Edmonton as a decent sports town. That's just the way it is.

abootzky is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 10:07 PM
  #984
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,256
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Well, it'll be nice watching Halifax smack Portland around.
Will be nice to watch both of them broom handle the Blades.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 10:40 PM
  #985
NAF
Beauty Fakes
 
NAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
They should consider moving. **** this city, apparently they don't want to support a quality product. They should go somewhere that will appreciate them.
I don't really get the criticism here. Don't you enjoy watching the Oil Kings? And yet you really want to stick it to all those meanie Edmontonians who don't watch junior hockey by taking away the junior hockey they don't watch? Uh, yeah. That'll show 'em!

Anyway, sucks to see the season end, but Portland was the better team. I ain't even mad.

NAF is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 11:01 PM
  #986
Q Continuum
You are Wrong
 
Q Continuum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,965
vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
I don't really get the criticism here. Don't you enjoy watching the Oil Kings? And yet you really want to stick it to all those meanie Edmontonians who don't watch junior hockey by taking away the junior hockey they don't watch? Uh, yeah. That'll show 'em!

Anyway, sucks to see the season end, but Portland was the better team. I ain't even mad.
This city doesn't deserve good hockey if it doesn't want to support it.

I can see why Oil Kings would prefer playing at the Rose Garden. The fans in Portland make us look like amateurs.

Q Continuum is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 11:10 PM
  #987
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,256
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
This city doesn't deserve good hockey if it doesn't want to support it.

I can see why Oil Kings would prefer playing at the Rose Garden. The fans in Portland make us look like amateurs.
Were you at the game?

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 11:21 PM
  #988
Q Continuum
You are Wrong
 
Q Continuum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,965
vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Were you at the game?
No. I can't afford it. I'm legitimately flat broke. If I had money, I would have been there.

Q Continuum is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 11:36 PM
  #989
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,256
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
No. I can't afford it. I'm legitimately flat broke. If I had money, I would have been there.
Who cares what Loubardias thinks? Or anyone else for that matter? The Oil Kings showed a lot of guts in these playoffs and should be congratulated.

Instead we have pages of complaining about the crowds/fans.

For people that went to Oil Kings games a few years ago, these ARE good crowds. We have one of the top attendance figures in the entire league. Its a bit much to go to the game, come home and find people who were watching the game on tv complaining about the crowd or lack thereof.

Hopefully your financial fortunes turn around soon.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 11:42 PM
  #990
BarDownBobo
Registered User
 
BarDownBobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Yak City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,721
vCash: 500
People need to stop complaining about the crowd size. Fact is the crowds they get are bigger than capacity of the majority of the WHL. They do phenomenally, but the fact that they play in a 16k+ seat arena makes it always look empty in there.

BarDownBobo is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 11:45 PM
  #991
Q Continuum
You are Wrong
 
Q Continuum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,965
vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Who cares what Loubardias thinks? Or anyone else for that matter? The Oil Kings showed a lot of guts in these playoffs and should be congratulated.

Instead we have pages of complaining about the crowds/fans.

For people that went to Oil Kings games a few years ago, these ARE good crowds. We have one of the top attendance figures in the entire league. Its a bit much to go to the game, come home and find people who were watching the game on tv complaining about the crowd or lack thereof.

Hopefully your financial fortunes turn around soon.
I completely understand your point, and I apologize for going overboard.

And they should turn around soon. I picked up a job at Costco. Doesn't pay amazingly, but it's something.

Q Continuum is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 11:45 PM
  #992
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,512
vCash: 500
I don't care about the size of the crowds, but the intensity.

Rexall place has the atmosphere of a funeral.

Tad Mikowsky is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 11:49 PM
  #993
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
I don't care about the size of the crowds, but the intensity.

Rexall place has the atmosphere of a funeral.
Yup, this.

And FYI, I was at the game. Smart phones are pretty cool.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 11:56 PM
  #994
17Kurri
Registered User
 
17Kurri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
People need to stop complaining about the crowd size. Fact is the crowds they get are bigger than capacity of the majority of the WHL. They do phenomenally, but the fact that they play in a 16k+ seat arena makes it always look empty in there.
Agreed. The link below suggests that the Oil Kings averaged more fans than the Winterhawks this past season. Click on the blue shaded bars for each team to get to this past season's numbers.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...L1979&sid=2012

The Oil Kings averaged about 900 fans/game this past season and it looks like we've pretty much outdone them in attendance every season since we returned to the WHL with the exception of one season where they had about 300 fans/game more.

17Kurri is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 11:58 PM
  #995
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Press Box & on Air
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,239
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Since when do they complain about 10K crowds in junior hockey?

I'll tell you a problem. Its whatever doofus figures that edmontonians, who had a miserable April, and are finally seeing some good weather outside want to go to an afternoon game instead of enjoying the day outside.

Grab a clue, make it a 7:30 start, and more people come out. Only an idiot would schedule afternoon hockey games in Edmonton during our very short summer.

Its not rocket science.
- It wasn't a crowd of 10K, it was less than 8K.
- game 7 would have been tomorrow in Portland, they needed to make this game as early as possible just to accommodate the potential travel. That's why it wasn't an evening game.
- all CHL playoffs need to be done by tomorrow night as the Memorial Cup starts 5 days later and teams need to get to Saskatoon for all the things leading up to it.

It wasn't idiotic scheduling, it was unavoidable.

__________________
Listen live to The Pipeline Show or find the audio archives and our blog at: www.thepipelineshow.com
Guy Flaming is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 12:00 AM
  #996
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Press Box & on Air
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,239
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Honestly, unless Musil improves his footspeed considerably he'll struggle to crack the roster period, let alone in a #4 role.
I couldn't agree more.

Guy Flaming is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 12:02 AM
  #997
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Agreed. The link below suggests that the Oil Kings averaged more fans than the Winterhawks this past season. Click on the blue shaded bars for each team to get to this past season's numbers.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...L1979&sid=2012

The Oil Kings averaged about 900 fans/game this past season and it looks like we've pretty much outdone them in attendance every season since we returned to the WHL with the exception of one season where they had about 300 fans/game more.
I'm just annoyed with the atmosphere in this final series. The Winterhawks didn't take the fans out of the games, the fans took themselves out of the games right from the drop of the first puck.

Whether it's fair or not doesn't matter. The Shaw (Hitmen fans) commentators and Loubardias aren't the only ones commenting on the Edmonton crowds either. It's become a topic amongst Oil Kings media personalities and even the players based on their tweets over the past week. It's a sucky way to end a fantastic two year run.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 12:05 AM
  #998
17Kurri
Registered User
 
17Kurri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
- It wasn't a crowd of 10K, it was less than 8K.
- game 7 would have been tomorrow in Portland, they needed to make this game as early as possible just to accommodate the potential travel. That's why it wasn't an evening game.
- all CHL playoffs need to be done by tomorrow night as the Memorial Cup starts 5 days later and teams need to get to Saskatoon for all the things leading up to it.

It wasn't idiotic scheduling, it was unavoidable.
I find that idiotic and unavoidable often go hand in hand when it comes to scheduling. It's not like they had a compressed season to worry about.

That said, I suspect that the Oilers' compressed season probably had at least a bit to do with when the Oil Kings could use Rexall, even though the Oilers have been done for a couple of weeks already.

17Kurri is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 12:06 AM
  #999
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,256
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm just annoyed with the atmosphere in this final series. The Winterhawks didn't take the fans out of the games, the fans took themselves out of the games right from the drop of the first puck.

Whether it's fair or not doesn't matter. The Shaw (Hitmen fans) commentators and Loubardias aren't the only ones commenting on the Edmonton crowds either. It's become a topic amongst Oil Kings media personalities and even the players based on their tweets over the past week. It's a sucky way to end a fantastic two year run.
Then stay home.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 12:10 AM
  #1000
17Kurri
Registered User
 
17Kurri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm just annoyed with the atmosphere in this final series. The Winterhawks didn't take the fans out of the games, the fans took themselves out of the games right from the drop of the first puck.

Whether it's fair or not doesn't matter. The Shaw (Hitmen fans) commentators and Loubardias aren't the only ones commenting on the Edmonton crowds either. It's become a topic amongst Oil Kings media personalities and even the players based on their tweets over the past week. It's a sucky way to end a fantastic two year run.
Sad thing is that there probably would've been a bigger turnout if it was the Oil Kings on the verge of closing out the series. I think at least some people didn't give the Oil Kings a chance tonight and therefore didn't bother showing up to witness a loss.

Personally, I love Oil Kings hockey, but being a STH of the Oilers has drained the hockey out of me by now. Even so, I was able to make it out to game 3, which was a stinker, but still a lot better smelling than too many Oilers games this past season.

17Kurri is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.