HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Oil Kings Thread: 2012-2013 Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2013, 09:16 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

vCash: 500
I didn't expect the Oil Kings to win this series but what a disappointing way for it to end.

Rattie is just unstoppable right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The Oil Kings performance notwithstanding I'm so disappointed in Edmonton for not properly supporting these kids. Awful crowd (again) today. I guess that Edmontonians would rather get shelled for $100 a ticket to watch the Oilers lose every night. Terrible.

Congrats to Portland for this win, they were due and their fans certainly deserve it. Edmonton probably would have forgotten about it by tomorrow morning.
Meh it was mothers day, I wanted to go to the game but I had to go out for dinner with my Mom. Bad day for a playoff game.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Beerfish

Rattie. Yeah the guy we by passed for a at tops 4-6 Defensive dman who just happened to be the son of a scout. Can't wait till Musil makes the team in 4 years and plays those 5-6 dman minutes on the back end.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:30 PM
40oz

Anyone else see Lazar bust through the neutral zone, split Jones and Wotherspoon, and fly in on a breakaway? Carruth made a great save but Lazar was all smiles heading to the bench.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Rattie. Yeah the guy we by passed for a at tops 4-6 Defensive dman who just happened to be the son of a scout. Can't wait till Musil makes the team in 4 years and plays those 5-6 dman minutes on the back end.
Honestly, unless Musil improves his footspeed considerably he'll struggle to crack the roster period, let alone in a #4 role.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:34 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
The Oilers just throw away 2nd round draft picks, didn't you get the memo?

Old
05-12-2013, 09:48 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
They should consider moving. **** this city, apparently they don't want to support a quality product. They should go somewhere that will appreciate them.
Yeah, that was a well thought-out post.

This city supports the team.

My playoff pack was the best $99 I've spent in a long time.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:49 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Anyone else see Lazar bust through the neutral zone, split Jones and Wotherspoon, and fly in on a breakaway? Carruth made a great save but Lazar was all smiles heading to the bench.
Yeah the highlight of the game for us I would say. I am very impressed with Lazar. I would not be sad if we traded down to draft him.

The negativity on this thread is a bit dumb right now. Be sad sure but no reason for anyone to negative towards Musil the guy had a solid season and playoffs. Scouts are not prefect, The drafts are usually a crapshoot after the first round.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:03 PM
abootzky

I was there. It was obvious as soon as Portland tied it that the Oil Kings were out of gas and that the Winter Hawks were not going to be denied. Kudos to them.

As for the disappointing turnout, excuses abound- some legit, some not. The truth is, in many ways the Oilers have sucked a lot of the life out of Edmonton as a decent sports town. That's just the way it is.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:07 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Well, it'll be nice watching Halifax smack Portland around.
Will be nice to watch both of them broom handle the Blades.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:40 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 50
Quote:
They should consider moving. **** this city, apparently they don't want to support a quality product. They should go somewhere that will appreciate them.
I don't really get the criticism here. Don't you enjoy watching the Oil Kings? And yet you really want to stick it to all those meanie Edmontonians who don't watch junior hockey by taking away the junior hockey they don't watch? Uh, yeah. That'll show 'em!

Anyway, sucks to see the season end, but Portland was the better team. I ain't even mad.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
I don't really get the criticism here. Don't you enjoy watching the Oil Kings? And yet you really want to stick it to all those meanie Edmontonians who don't watch junior hockey by taking away the junior hockey they don't watch? Uh, yeah. That'll show 'em!

Anyway, sucks to see the season end, but Portland was the better team. I ain't even mad.
This city doesn't deserve good hockey if it doesn't want to support it.

I can see why Oil Kings would prefer playing at the Rose Garden. The fans in Portland make us look like amateurs.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:10 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
This city doesn't deserve good hockey if it doesn't want to support it.

I can see why Oil Kings would prefer playing at the Rose Garden. The fans in Portland make us look like amateurs.
Were you at the game?

Old
05-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Were you at the game?
No. I can't afford it. I'm legitimately flat broke. If I had money, I would have been there.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:36 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
No. I can't afford it. I'm legitimately flat broke. If I had money, I would have been there.
Who cares what Loubardias thinks? Or anyone else for that matter? The Oil Kings showed a lot of guts in these playoffs and should be congratulated.

Instead we have pages of complaining about the crowds/fans.

For people that went to Oil Kings games a few years ago, these ARE good crowds. We have one of the top attendance figures in the entire league. Its a bit much to go to the game, come home and find people who were watching the game on tv complaining about the crowd or lack thereof.

Hopefully your financial fortunes turn around soon.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:42 PM
BarDownBobo

People need to stop complaining about the crowd size. Fact is the crowds they get are bigger than capacity of the majority of the WHL. They do phenomenally, but the fact that they play in a 16k+ seat arena makes it always look empty in there.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Who cares what Loubardias thinks? Or anyone else for that matter? The Oil Kings showed a lot of guts in these playoffs and should be congratulated.

Instead we have pages of complaining about the crowds/fans.

For people that went to Oil Kings games a few years ago, these ARE good crowds. We have one of the top attendance figures in the entire league. Its a bit much to go to the game, come home and find people who were watching the game on tv complaining about the crowd or lack thereof.

Hopefully your financial fortunes turn around soon.
I completely understand your point, and I apologize for going overboard.

And they should turn around soon. I picked up a job at Costco. Doesn't pay amazingly, but it's something.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I don't care about the size of the crowds, but the intensity.

Rexall place has the atmosphere of a funeral.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
I don't care about the size of the crowds, but the intensity.

Rexall place has the atmosphere of a funeral.
Yup, this.

And FYI, I was at the game. Smart phones are pretty cool.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:56 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
People need to stop complaining about the crowd size. Fact is the crowds they get are bigger than capacity of the majority of the WHL. They do phenomenally, but the fact that they play in a 16k+ seat arena makes it always look empty in there.
Agreed. The link below suggests that the Oil Kings averaged more fans than the Winterhawks this past season. Click on the blue shaded bars for each team to get to this past season's numbers.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...L1979&sid=2012

The Oil Kings averaged about 900 fans/game this past season and it looks like we've pretty much outdone them in attendance every season since we returned to the WHL with the exception of one season where they had about 300 fans/game more.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:58 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Since when do they complain about 10K crowds in junior hockey?

I'll tell you a problem. Its whatever doofus figures that edmontonians, who had a miserable April, and are finally seeing some good weather outside want to go to an afternoon game instead of enjoying the day outside.

Grab a clue, make it a 7:30 start, and more people come out. Only an idiot would schedule afternoon hockey games in Edmonton during our very short summer.

Its not rocket science.
- It wasn't a crowd of 10K, it was less than 8K.
- game 7 would have been tomorrow in Portland, they needed to make this game as early as possible just to accommodate the potential travel. That's why it wasn't an evening game.
- all CHL playoffs need to be done by tomorrow night as the Memorial Cup starts 5 days later and teams need to get to Saskatoon for all the things leading up to it.

It wasn't idiotic scheduling, it was unavoidable.

05-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Honestly, unless Musil improves his footspeed considerably he'll struggle to crack the roster period, let alone in a #4 role.
I couldn't agree more.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Agreed. The link below suggests that the Oil Kings averaged more fans than the Winterhawks this past season. Click on the blue shaded bars for each team to get to this past season's numbers.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...L1979&sid=2012

The Oil Kings averaged about 900 fans/game this past season and it looks like we've pretty much outdone them in attendance every season since we returned to the WHL with the exception of one season where they had about 300 fans/game more.
I'm just annoyed with the atmosphere in this final series. The Winterhawks didn't take the fans out of the games, the fans took themselves out of the games right from the drop of the first puck.

Whether it's fair or not doesn't matter. The Shaw (Hitmen fans) commentators and Loubardias aren't the only ones commenting on the Edmonton crowds either. It's become a topic amongst Oil Kings media personalities and even the players based on their tweets over the past week. It's a sucky way to end a fantastic two year run.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:05 AM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
- It wasn't a crowd of 10K, it was less than 8K.
- game 7 would have been tomorrow in Portland, they needed to make this game as early as possible just to accommodate the potential travel. That's why it wasn't an evening game.
- all CHL playoffs need to be done by tomorrow night as the Memorial Cup starts 5 days later and teams need to get to Saskatoon for all the things leading up to it.

It wasn't idiotic scheduling, it was unavoidable.
I find that idiotic and unavoidable often go hand in hand when it comes to scheduling. It's not like they had a compressed season to worry about.

That said, I suspect that the Oilers' compressed season probably had at least a bit to do with when the Oil Kings could use Rexall, even though the Oilers have been done for a couple of weeks already.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:06 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I'm just annoyed with the atmosphere in this final series. The Winterhawks didn't take the fans out of the games, the fans took themselves out of the games right from the drop of the first puck.

Whether it's fair or not doesn't matter. The Shaw (Hitmen fans) commentators and Loubardias aren't the only ones commenting on the Edmonton crowds either. It's become a topic amongst Oil Kings media personalities and even the players based on their tweets over the past week. It's a sucky way to end a fantastic two year run.
Then stay home.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:10 AM
17Kurri

Quote:

Sad thing is that there probably would've been a bigger turnout if it was the Oil Kings on the verge of closing out the series. I think at least some people didn't give the Oil Kings a chance tonight and therefore didn't bother showing up to witness a loss.

Personally, I love Oil Kings hockey, but being a STH of the Oilers has drained the hockey out of me by now. Even so, I was able to make it out to game 3, which was a stinker, but still a lot better smelling than too many Oilers games this past season.

Closed Thread