HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ferland or Downey?

Old
09-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I don't friggin' know. Downey gives you some energy. A goal from a guy like that is like 2 from someone else because the team feeds off of it. I can't say that I've watched Ferland enough to judge things like defensive play, etc.

It depends on what you think of fighting ? Downey isn't a heavyweight but he can play and he's willing. If Gainey feels that the role is redundant, let him go.

Personally, I think they both could go. Murray the best player of the 3 and will drop the gloves on occasion.
If you think both can go, means that you have a spot for Kosty in the lineup either on the 3rd in Perez spot, on the 4th or as an extra. I still think he has some confidence to gain in Hamilton. That's why Ferland is my choice to stay, Kosty still has a ceiling to reach, Ferland is pretty much up there, being an extra won't affect him.

For me Ferland brings something that both Murray and Downey don't bring is the offensive touch. Obviously I'm not talking about 20 goals here but I believe he has in him more than Murray and Downey combined. Murray and Downey brings the willingness to stand up for teamates, can drop the gloves but Murray is faster. So it really comes to Downey's experience VS Ferland's offensive touch. Murray is definately the best of the 3 as of yet, but I could see Ferland, with some playing time becoming a better overall player minus the fighting.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Joe Cole

I guess we are running out of things to dissect beyond recognition when we start talking about guys on the edge of not being able to skate on a 4th line for a team that scrapes by to make the playoffs.

I mean... really.

As for the "adding one more french name to the roster" arguement.... I cannot relate. Why anyone cares what ethnicity a 4th line player is, is beyond me. Hockey is entertainment.

Get over yourselves. This is not the "national" team. It is a PROFESSIONAL hockey team owned by an American. When it comes to professional CLUB teams, who cares where they come from? Even the Canadiens.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:51 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I'd keep Downey. You need vets on a team full of youngsters, and it's good to have a well-liked, prankster type of guy like Downey. Plus we just signed him as a UFA...You don't waive guys you just signed.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Marksman

If Ferland is capable playing bigger minutes, even doing some PK, I would let Downey go. We added leadership character in Johnson, so his input might not be missed so much.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Let's see... guaranteed NHL contract or two-way contract? Hmmm...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
I guess we are running out of things to dissect beyond recognition when we start talking about guys on the edge of not being able to skate on a 4th line for a team that scrapes by to make the playoffs.

I mean... really.

As for the "adding one more french name to the roster" arguement.... I cannot relate. Why anyone cares what ethnicity a 4th line player is, is beyond me. Hockey is entertainment.

Get over yourselves. This is not the "national" team. It is a PROFESSIONAL hockey team owned by an American. When it comes to professional CLUB teams, who cares where they come from? Even the Canadiens.
When it comes to a sport where a difference of 2 points is enough to either make the playoffs or not, not only the 4th line guy is important but even the depth in your farm team in case of injuries and all.

As for the French factor, even though I didn't want to bring it, not saying it should or it will, but was asking if Bob will take his decision based on the whole french controversy about not having enough french guys on the team and letting go some others though we all know Ferland won't have the same impact. But what can I say? Having more locals players attract more people to go and watch. Does this make this team better??? Obviously not. The Atlanta Braves have a record of Local boys.....But it's not like we're taking a Championship team and scratching some foreign guys and have our french boys take their place for the fun of it either. Our language alone shouldn't be enough to put you on the lineup, obviously. But with the same level of talent, when somebody brings you something, and somebody else brings you other things, such as this example, I say why not....

Ferland can do the job and his name could be Ferlanov, Ferlanski or Ferlund, I would take him over Downey.

Old
09-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Burnside_1

I'd go with Ferland. Younger and more versatile than Downey.

Whatever happened to Lapierre? wasn't the guy in competition for a place on the fourth line??

Burnside_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 02:15 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside_1 View Post
I'd go with Ferland. Younger and more versatile than Downey.

Whatever happened to Lapierre? wasn't the guy in competition for a place on the fourth line??
Lapierre is a center, he was auditioning for Bonk's spot basically. He will be a natural replacement for Bonk when he is gone, but will also be in competition with Chipchura.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Ferland can do the job and his name could be Ferlanov, Ferlanski or Ferlund, I would take him over Downey.
Your above quote is more my thinking.

As for the Braves, well... I do not think that we can use that arguement seriously for any other team except the teams based in Quebec. Our village mentality is just so P'*** Vie.

We (as a society) whine about the french content on the team, but when it came down to laying the cash on the table, no Quebecer was brave enough to put his money where his mouth is. It sure is comfortable just beong able to complain, instead of actually doing the deed.

Sorry. Rant over

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 05:52 PM
oli500

Honestly I dont see ferland with this club and im not trying to nock the guy but theres just no room. For his sake ferland is better off in another organisation, in a organisation that has less depth at the foward spot. Theres just to many good prospects for him to ever have a decent role on this team. latendresse,kositsyn,lapierre are all players that are going to see action at some point this season and are all players that are infront of him when it comes to call ups. Even chipchura is making his present felt and is not to far away. If you look at are prospect group that are infront of him, ferland has a long way to go before he becomes a permanent figure on this team. Hes going to have to work his a$$$ off if he wants to be a hab for 7,8 years. Its to bad because he looks like a good kid but just knoking on the door at the wrong time. If hes lucky he might be here maybe one year but because of the talent we have in are prospects I dont see him here very long.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

I have nothing against Ferland, but the best thing he could do for the Habs would be to be part of a trade that upgrades the team,

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Habsurd

[QUOTE=Teufelsdreck;6588832]I have nothing against Ferland, but the best thing he could do for the Habs would be to be part of a trade that upgrades the team,[/QUOT

Prob Pittsburgh would take him...Andre savard. Like you, Devils-sheit, I like Ferland and I think he's got alot of potential to both pop some goals and play a strong, physical game along the wall....something we so sorely lack. He's a late bloomer who I feel could become a very solid player on a team who can give him 2-3 years of development w out needing high,immediate returns (just like Pitts').

Like someone said: he's knocking at the wrong time.

Habsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 12:37 AM
Guy Caballero

This is a legitimately tough question, but I’m going with Downey. We could use his type, a reliable veteran with speed who hits and enforces, more than Ferland’s type, a big-bodied but slow rookie with some offensive upside.

Ferland’s nothing special, and guys like him are available on the waiver wire every year. Downey’s the guy for right now, and that’s what matters.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I'd keep Downey. You need vets on a team full of youngsters, and it's good to have a well-liked, prankster type of guy like Downey. Plus we just signed him as a UFA...You don't waive guys you just signed.
I'll agree with that. We can argue the present on-ice merits of the Murray's, Begin's, Downey's, Ferland's and Lapierre's until the cows come home, but to me the 5 of them are pretty redundant, Steve Begin being one notch above. Redundancy might be a good thing in that case as those guys are the extra type pluggers who sit quitely waiting for their turn to play, or get to see 4th line ice time.

But that being said, those guys are usually the cement for the team, they create chemistry and team spirit on and off the ice, and as far as we've heard, there's no better option for this role than Downey. So you keep him. You keep Begin. You keep Murray. And you send the rest down. I'm a big Ferland fan, but I won't cry if we lose such a marginal player to waivers.

We're not in need of a Ferland, we already have too many. Much more important to make some room for the players that could truly have an impact on this team, the Kostitsyn's, Perezhogin's and Latendresse's.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I think it would be really funny if Carbo does go with just 22 players and NONE of the candidates we've spent so much time agonizing over makes the team.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 09:39 AM
The n00b King *

Well this thread is done with

Ferland has been cut today

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King View Post

Not so fast! I want my bet with Whitesnake on whether he gets claimed on waivers or not! (It's about time I finally won a bet around here, after all!)

Old
09-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Not so fast! I want my bet with Whitesnake on whether he gets claimed on waivers or not! (It's about time I finally won a bet around here, after all!)
How do we do this? PM me!

Old
09-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
How do we do this? PM me!
vBucks aren't actually my game. You can just do something with your avatar or user title if (I mean when) you lose... you know, "Blind Gardien = Genius", etc. (And of course, vice versa for me with a "Whitesnake = Genius" in the highly improbable event that I lose.)

Old
09-27-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King View Post

There are conflicting reports on whether or not he was cut

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
There are conflicting reports on whether or not he was cut
where have you heard comments on the issue?

Only place I've found so far is RDS and even then its only a guess as my french sucks.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
where have you heard comments on the issue?

Only place I've found so far is RDS and even then its only a guess as my french sucks.

Well someone apparently posted that they heard on team 990 that he was not cut.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Ferland might be an option if we want our 14th forward to be more of a pure plugger, but I don't see him competing with Downey, really. Downey is a hand-picked chemistry guy for Gainey, and he'll really have to struggle to keep up before he loses his spot.

Mind you, I could see that happening... eventually: if Downey does get bogged down taking too many penalties and his style does become clearly more detrimental than beneficial as the season progresses, he could find himself at the end of the line. But I don't think it's very likely to happen during training camp.

Ferland is in a make or break year. If for some reason we can't sign Latendresse, and if the other rookies like Kostitsyn continue to fail to make clear cases for themselves, we won't go too far wrong by keeping him around for Black Aces/grinder duty *with* Downey. But he could still benefit quite significantly from a full, healthy make-or-break season in Hamilton.

And if Matt Foy can clear waivers, then it's no contest that Ferland would as well.
Great post and I agree with most of it except for Ferland being in a make or break year. The guy is only 4 years removed from his draft year and was hampered by injury last year. The only way his stock could drop in Gainey's eyes imo, is if he really regresses in Hamilton, which I don't think is probably. Otherwise, he'll benefit from another year down there and come back and push Murray/Downey even harder for a spot next year.

Added to that, we still don't know if we're going to see 13 or 14 forwards (from what I've heard on the radio, newspaper etc...) Personally I have a feeling Downey's spot is pretty secure as the 13th guy and the only real battle is the Perez, Lats, Kost battle that's being debated now.

Unless Ferland has truly unseated Downey as 13th forward, personally I don't see the point in keeping a 14th guy around, especially when he (Ferland) could benefit from playing in Hamilton.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
Great post and I agree with most of it except for Ferland being in a make or break year. The guy is only 4 years removed from his draft year and was hampered by injury last year. The only way his stock could drop in Gainey's eyes imo, is if he really regresses in Hamilton, which I don't think is probably. Otherwise, he'll benefit from another year down there and come back and push Murray/Downey even harder for a spot next year.
Well, I think for him, also for Milroy, Locke, it really is a make or break year for them in the organisation. If they don't have their breakouts this year, then there's really not much chance they'll be re-signed next year, unless it's in an ever-increasingly-pigeon-holed minor league role. We have a lot of other prospects rolling in. If Ferland has another injury-plagued 10-goal season this year, he's pretty much toast, IMO. He needs to make some noise this year. (And I think he can.) Guys like Chipchura and Lapierre will of course be pushing for spots on the big team next year in somewhat the same niches that Ferland would be eyeing. It isn't going to get any easier for him next year, unless he really busts out.