HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Thread VIII

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Wrigley
Jake & Elwood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Destroyed you? You have the four best defenceman of All-Time and the best goaltender. His forwards are much better, but I don't see it lopsided. In a 2 team drafts like that, I definitely choose my goaltenders at the very end.
I learned from watching you. The goalies were the last chosen.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:47 PM
monster_bertuzzi

You better keep improving that size and strength on the roster, Berg.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:05 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
You better keep improving that size and strength on the roster, Berg.
Who would of thought that the Canadiens would finish 2nd in the East. I was not even placing them in the playoffs, as most also didn't. Alex Galchenyuk & Lars Eller are two centre with skills, size and strength. We have Max Pacioretty, Rene Bourque & Brandon Prust. PK Subban, Alexei Emelin & Jarret Tinordi on defence.

Yes, in a perfect world I would like more size and strength, but what we need more is resilient players, even if they are a tad smaller. The numbers of injuries on our team was ridiculous in those playoffs.

I think Marc Bergevin have done a tremendous job with this team so far. No one, him included I'm sure, was expecting such great regular season results. We saw the deficiencies of this team in these playoffs, but no one was really expecting them to making them anyway. Subban, Price, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Eller & Tinordi is a very strong core. Adds up great role players like Prust & Dumont and prospects like Beaulieu, Collberg, Kristo, Leblanc & Ellis and there's a lot to like and looking forward for the future. At last, add guys like Plekanec (30), Diaz (27) & Markov (34) who still have some good hockey left in them, and you have a scary team in a few years, I believe.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:56 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Who would of thought that the Canadiens would finish 2nd in the East. I was not even placing them in the playoffs, as most also didn't. Alex Galchenyuk & Lars Eller are two centre with skills, size and strength. We have Max Pacioretty, Rene Bourque & Brandon Prust. PK Subban, Alexei Emelin & Jarret Tinordi on defence.

Yes, in a perfect world I would like more size and strength, but what we need more is resilient players, even if they are a tad smaller. The numbers of injuries on our team was ridiculous in those playoffs.

I think Marc Bergevin have done a tremendous job with this team so far. No one, him included I'm sure, was expecting such great regular season results. We saw the deficiencies of this team in these playoffs, but no one was really expecting them to making them anyway. Subban, Price, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Eller & Tinordi is a very strong core. Adds up great role players like Prust & Dumont and prospects like Beaulieu, Collberg, Kristo, Leblanc & Ellis and there's a lot to like and looking forward for the future. At last, add guys like Plekanec (30), Diaz (27) & Markov (34) who still have some good hockey left in them, and you have a scary team in a few years, I believe.
I knew the Hab would be greatly improved, but like you I didn't see 2nd in the East coming (who did?). No doubt about it the future is bright, as a Canuck fan it's painful to know that my team is declining, and fast, while fans in Montreal, Toronto, and Edmonton have young teams that are only getting better and better,

Old
05-09-2013, 11:40 PM
pdd

After seeing these ATDs, I'd love to do one...

Who wants to do one with me? *prepares for flood of responses*

Old
05-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
After seeing these ATDs, I'd love to do one...

Who wants to do one with me? *prepares for flood of responses*
The next official ATD won't be till next year. The MLD, which is a draft of all the players who were not selected in this year's ATD, should be starting shortly after the ATD playoffs are over, so probably 2-3 weeks.

If you're just looking to do a draft with one other person (like gmm and I did above) as sort of a test to see what it's like you can PM me. It won't be anything close to what the real ATD is like, but I guess it could give you a small look into the strategy of team building through a draft.

Last edited by Hawkey Town 18: 05-09-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old
05-10-2013, 12:46 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

His grandpa did 2 seasons for Rögle, now Robin Sterner has signed for the club to help them in their attempt to get back into the top division again.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:56 AM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Old
05-10-2013, 04:28 PM
EagleBelfour

Old
05-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Officiating in the NHL is at such a low standard that its ridiculous... and Im cheering for Sens

Old
05-10-2013, 06:30 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

The one-minute report by TSN of the 25+ minute Avs press conference which introduced Joe Sakic as Colorado's new executive v.p. addressed the possible Patrick Roy as head coach and Seth Jones as draft pick rumours but really missed the meat of the matter, what the press conference really conveyed (not just sideward token vague comments about outstanding rumours leaguewide). I watched the whole thing and clearly three things TSN overlooked:

1) Both Sakic and the new president (from ownership) emphasized that winning is the focus, not managing or developing, but working toward a "championship" (Sakic mentioned twice). They repeatedly spoke of a new direction and focus on winning with none of the kind of 'doing my job managing' talk that comes out of Winnipeg and Toronto. Watch the press conference and you'll see a half dozen references by Sakic to their commitment to winning a championship and making a major shift toward doing so.

2) A core group is needed, including a top level goaltender, according to Sakic, which suggests he may be looking at making moves in that regard (Miller? Luongo?). Sakic clearly said having a great goaltender is key to winning. Unfortunately, the sheepish media in Colorado threw him softball questions and didn't follow up on that.

3) the new president (from ownership) said they will be adding one big contract, and more when needed (plus mentioned youth, so seems like a cup run isn't necessarily in the immediate future, but playoff hopes is).

Old
05-10-2013, 10:05 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post

The one-minute report by TSN of the 25+ minute Avs press conference which introduced Joe Sakic as Colorado's new executive v.p. addressed the possible Patrick Roy as head coach and Seth Jones as draft pick rumours but really missed the meat of the matter, what the press conference really conveyed (not just sideward token vague comments about outstanding rumours leaguewide). I watched the whole thing and clearly three things TSN overlooked:

1) Both Sakic and the new president (from ownership) emphasized that winning is the focus, not managing or developing, but working toward a "championship" (Sakic mentioned twice). They repeatedly spoke of a new direction and focus on winning with none of the kind of 'doing my job managing' talk that comes out of Winnipeg and Toronto. Watch the press conference and you'll see a half dozen references by Sakic to their commitment to winning a championship and making a major shift toward doing so.

2) A core group is needed, including a top level goaltender, according to Sakic, which suggests he may be looking at making moves in that regard (Miller? Luongo?). Sakic clearly said having a great goaltender is key to winning. Unfortunately, the sheepish media in Colorado threw him softball questions and didn't follow up on that.

3) the new president (from ownership) said they will be adding one big contract, and more when needed (plus mentioned youth, so seems like a cup run isn't necessarily in the immediate future, but playoff hopes is).
Almost as many presidents, vps, chairmen, directors and general managers as the Leafs.

Seriously, what is with the number of executives on some NHL teams now?

I mean the president of the Avs is just there because daddy gave it to him but how can you have a GM and have all hockey decisions have to go through another guy?

Isn't Sakic then the defacto GM?

Never ceases to amaze me how some businesses muddle themselves up.

Old
05-10-2013, 11:07 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Also, i think the fact that Tim Thomas put up significantly better numbers playing behind more or less the same team a few years ago may have weighed on the minds of the GMS.
Damn right. It should weigh on their minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
All three Vezina finalists are worthy winners. They've had a great year.
I support these nominees myself. There's something about Niemi that bothers me still, but he was apparently top 3 this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I knew the Hab would be greatly improved, but like you I didn't see 2nd in the East coming (who did?). No doubt about it the future is bright, as a Canuck fan it's painful to know that my team is declining, and fast, while fans in Montreal, Toronto, and Edmonton have young teams that are only getting better and better,
I honestly saw no reason to believe the Habs would be better this season, aside from a full season of Markov. I think they overachieved all season and showed their true colours in the playoffs.

Price wasn't great but he's still that team's MVP. He'll probably be scapegoated partially for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
The next official ATD won't be till next year. The MLD, which is a draft of all the players who were not selected in this year's ATD, should be starting shortly after the ATD playoffs are over, so probably 2-3 weeks.
Yeah... join the mld... I want to go up against you.

Quote:
LOL. I don't know what to make of this rule anymore. Here's what I know.

- They introduced the words "distinct kicking motion" to make the rule clearer, more black and white.
- That was NOT a "distinct kicking motion".
- I have seen them call off goals that were far less distinct kicking motions than that.
- By that established standard, there's NO WAY that should have been counted.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:36 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

The NHL needs to abolish the "distinct kicking motion" language since nobody can figure what the hell it means in application

Did anyone read the recent column by BraveCanadian's favorite Kerry Fraser? He said that he thought it was a distinct kicking motion. He also said that the "War Room" is filled with ex players, none of whom was a ref. Fraser thought that the War Room would be better if they had some ex-refs in there

Old
05-11-2013, 02:36 AM
Dreakmur

I'm not sure I see the issue there. He was in the process of stopping, so doesn't that eliminate the possibility of a distinct kicking motion? He did angle his foot to redirect the puck into the net, but that's not illegal.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:44 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I'm not sure I see the issue there. He was in the process of stopping, so doesn't that eliminate the possibility of a distinct kicking motion? He did angle his foot to redirect the puck into the net, but that's not illegal.
The issue is that similar plays have been called the other way.

I mean, I basically agree with 70s that I didn't see a "distinct" kicking motion, but I've seen what looks like less distinct kicking to my untrained eye called back

Old
05-11-2013, 03:33 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
The issue is that similar plays have been called the other way.

I mean, I basically agree with 70s that I didn't see a "distinct" kicking motion, but I've seen what looks like less distinct kicking to my untrained eye called back
So this issue with this call is that other calls were bad?

Old
05-11-2013, 03:41 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
I have issue with NHL prolly being the most inconsistent league when it comes refereeing and player discipline

Old
05-11-2013, 04:02 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
I have issue with NHL prolly being the most inconsistent league when it comes refereeing and player discipline
You should watch the OHL...

Old
05-11-2013, 05:10 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
You should watch the OHL...
Yea OHL is the only league I havent watched this year... is it that terrible? Even for a junior league?

I must say I was impressed by KHL and College refs.. high standards... SEL might have refs at an NHL level comparing to NHLs refs... sigh

Old
05-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Wrigley
Jake & Elwood

Quote:
Click there > http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-ack...2160--mlb.html Is Sunday the first day of voting?

Old
05-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Yea OHL is the only league I havent watched this year... is it that terrible? Even for a junior league?
Just watch the OHL finals, and focus on one player.

Anthony Camara blindsides Max Domi from behind with a flying elbow to the head. That should have been the end of his OHL career, but he gets nothing.

3 games later, Camara accidentally runs into Seth Griffith.... and gets a suspension that will likely be the end of his time in the OHL.

Here's the indefinite suspension:

Can't find a great angle of the non-suspension, but here's some footage:

Last edited by Dreakmur: 05-11-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old
05-11-2013, 06:32 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Heh, that's one way to put it.

I think the issue is that it seems completely unpredictable what will or will not count as a goal when the puck goes off a player's leg.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:10 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

An unlikely hero.

106 games straight without a goal.

77 career playoff games without a goal ever.

Scores the OT winner tonight.

Orpik.

"I just put it on net and found a hole there."

Old
05-13-2013, 12:38 AM
Wrigley
Jake & Elwood

Wow! In their last year in the West the Wings will face the Hawks in the 2nd round. Historic. All the games will saved 4ever on my dvr. I just need Hobnobs to come in here and trash talk and this will be perfect. No sarcasm. Life is good.

Closed Thread