HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who will land N. Backstrom/M. Smith/R. Luongo/J. Bernier THIS SUMMER?

Old
05-12-2013, 07:24 PM
MadDevil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohnson View Post
To NJ: Luongo + Edler + 2nd
To VAN: Kovalchuk + Zidlicky
I hope you're joking.

MadDevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:28 AM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Nicklas Backstrom re-signs with MIN
Mike Smith signs in CGY
Jonathan Bernier to NJD
Roberto Luongo to NYI (Niederreiter +)

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:31 AM
The Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure All Day View Post
He's not worthless just because we want to get rid of him...

If a team has a need to fill, they have to pay for it. Not gunna just give Lu away because we don't need him.
He's worthless because he owed a cap hit of 5.33 for the next decade- do Canuck fans not get this?

The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:34 AM
The Big D

Luongo goes to the highest bidder in FA after gillis eats crow and buys him out- that or Lu stays and Schneider goes.
Bernier-NJ or NYI
Backstrom-Philly
Smith- Edmonton

Old
05-13-2013, 12:36 AM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

I highly doubt the Leafs go after any of these guys after Reimer's play this series. We're more or so looking for a veteran backup a la Vokoun (I still don't get why we didn't trade for him after apparently being offered his services by I think his agent?) to take some of the load off Reimer. We don't need 2 bonafide #1 starters.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:45 AM
The Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzak View Post
I highly doubt the Leafs go after any of these guys after Reimer's play this series. We're more or so looking for a veteran backup a la Vokoun (I still don't get why we didn't trade for him after apparently being offered his services by I think his agent?) to take some of the load off Reimer. We don't need 2 bonafide #1 starters.
I'd consider backstrom to split duties. or bringing in Lu if you think you can get a haul for Reims

Old
05-13-2013, 12:51 AM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
If that is the case, I'm not sure which teams are going to pay big money for him. Played great in PHX. Was he also the product of the system? He wasn't that great in TB and they needed a guy like him 2 years ago.

Here's my take on the 30 teams and their goalies next season:

Van - Schneider should be their guy barring a change in decision on Luongo
Edm - Dubnyk, shown enough to be their guy. Needs a solid backup, veteran.
Cal - Needs a young goalie. IMO, better off to get a young guy now to play a lot of games and develop, than go with 2 guys who aren't going to be with the team when they are competitive again.
LA - Quick
SJ - Niemi
Ana - Hiller/Fasth
Phx - Unknown.
Col - Varlarmov
Dal - Lehtonen
STL - Halak/Elliott/Allen - not sure what they will do. Allen is the future, so likely try to move one of the other 2. Halak, injury worries now. Elliott, up and down this season.
Nas - Rinne
Chi - Crawford. Have to see him against tougher competition to see if the Hawks can still trust him over the long term.
Min - I believe they will retain Backstrom as their guys after Harding aren't really ready just yet.
Win - Pavelec
Mon - Price
Tor - Reimer, unless they don't trust him to handle the job over a longer season
Ott - Anderson
Bos - Rask
Buf - Miller. I think he somehow manages to remain there. See what the market is for Miller. Enroff isn't a long term answer. Can the Sabres trade for a young guy?
Car - Ward
TB - Bishop
FLA - Markstrom
NYR - Lundqvist
NYI - Unknown, need to upgrade. How high are they on Poulin and other youngsters in their system?
NJ - Brodeur, but need the heir apparent soon. Is Wedgewood going to be ready after 2 years of pro to take over full time in 14/15?
Pitt - Flurey is under contract, but has had back to back horrible playoffs for a Cup contender
Phi - Unknown with Bryz
Was - Holtby
Det - Howard
Cbs - Bobrovsky - great season last year. See if he can continue it over a longer season

Pittsburgh has the option of getting rid of Flurey and going with another goalie. Might be able to land Backstrom for a fair price if he wants a change. Could go after Miller in a trade. Luongo, doubtful, but somewhat possible. Smith? again possible. Pens have options should they view Flurey incapable of returning to 2009 form.
Philly, end of Bryz era? Possible. Would likely seek veteran guy.
NYI - have options. Can go either veteran of youngster.
Calgary - need young guy
Phoenix, likely another Smith type situation. Get a veteran like Elliott who has no other options to be #1.
Buffalo, if they move Miller, need find a younger option.

As for drafting a goalie, I'm in the thinking that you need to prepare to draft a goalie while your #1 guy is still playing decent. If your #1 guy is age 30, you have to look at your system and be able to say, this kid here, between 18 - 22, is capable of being our future #1 goalie. If you can't say that, then you need to consider taking one of the top 2-3 rated goalies in the draft.

Take NYR and Lundqvist. Age 31 now, still one of the best, Vezina finalist. Do the Rangers have someone in the system who can take over in 3-4 years? If the answer is no, then they should consider taking one in this year's draft. I know that they dealt both their 1st (CBS) and 2nd (Clowe) away. May have to move another prospect to get a pick to take a goalie.

If Calgary/Buffalo opt for a goalie in this draft, that kid won't be ready for 4 years. Who is going to tend goal for them over that time?

Calgary and Buffalo should have asked themselves that question 2 or 3 years ago with Kipper and Miller. Kipper turns 37 in October. Is someone ready to take over this coming season? Miller turns 33 in the summer. 1 year left on his deal that takes him to age 34. Again, is there someone in the system that the Sabres are confident enough right now to say, he's our man when he's ready to play?

NJ is cutting it close if Wedgewood is their man.
Uh, Calgary already has Brossoit and Gillies in the system who can develop into starting goaltenders. They are a few years away, but they are there, and since we won't be winning any time soon, it's just fine to have Ramo and Berra as stop gaps. And hell, who knows, maybe they turn into solid goaltenders. Finding goaltenders is not an exact science.

We've already given up assets for these goalies, we are in no position to sell the farm for Bernier. Let's see what we have with these guys. We're already likely to have 3 goalies on NHL contracts to start next season.

It seems like the only ones who want the Flames to spend assets on a goaltender are non-Flames fans.

Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:50 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
And Calgary has a window closing on winning a cup that they need to trade for assets that are just as unproven? Just because this board doesnt think highly on the goalies they have waiting does not mean they are going to trade assets to bring in someone other fans like more. I highly doubt the Flames do anything. Mac, Ramo and Berra will be given chances to see what they can do next year. And thats if Kipper doesnt return. The Flames are not going to be a good team and can afford to let the goalies they have show what they got.
Khudobin is UFA. Won't cost you anything in assets, age wise he fits with the goalies slowly graduating over 3 or so years, will be fairly cheap and he wants to be a starter. Worth a look for Calgary because it won't matter if he isn't that good since they are rebuilding, if he turns out excellent that's a free asset.

Last edited by me2: 05-13-2013 at 01:56 AM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:19 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I wouldn't say it's an extremely good cap hit but I agree with the general idea of the post - Luongo is a much better goalie and his contract is far less of an issue than most on here seem to be willing to admit. Speculating that he has negative value is far more unlikely than speculating that Gillis is asking for way too much for him IMO. Sometimes HF just runs with a theme and blows it out of proportion.

Good first post btw. Don't expect many to agree with you on that, but welcome.
hmmm...have to wonder then, why did Luigi himself say his contract sucks right after the trade deadline? Pretty damning when the player himself makes a statement like that.

Maybe they should make him Captain Lou again to raise his trade value.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:50 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Unfortunately for Devils fans, Lamoriello has already said that they are content in going again with Brodeur and Hedberg as their goaltenders next season - they are contracted anyway. So I don't think New Jersey should be in this discussion.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:32 AM
giddy up

Some very good goalies available, just hope the Isles get one of them.

giddy up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:41 AM
Bure All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Lu gets paid 6.7 until 2018, you should know that by know as a Vancouver fan.
umm that's not his cap hit genius, his salary is irrelevant to any owner who actually wants to help his team

Bure All Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:43 AM
Bure All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
He's worthless because he owed a cap hit of 5.33 for the next decade- do Canuck fans not get this?
Called a "buy-out"

does the entire league not get this?

IF, and that's a big if, he begins to under-perform, dump him, the cap will be so high by then that a 1 mil penalty will be almost irrelevant.

If brodeur can play being this old, so can lu, especially considering he has a style of play that can keep him around, not like Brodeur with the small pads, etc

Old
05-13-2013, 04:45 AM
Bure All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
I think you must be the last person on the planet to still think Roberto Luongo has some value. Is it going to take yet another failed round of attempts by Gillis to get rid of him before you're convinced?
No, he'll have value as long as he plays in the NHL, otherwise he wouldn't be here....

Old
05-13-2013, 04:46 AM
Bure All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Why do you keep posting, seriously? You really have no clue what you are talking about.
Thanks for your opinion spock

Old
05-13-2013, 04:50 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure All Day View Post
Called a "buy-out"

does the entire league not get this?

IF, and that's a big if, he begins to under-perform, dump him, the cap will be so high by then that a 1 mil penalty will be almost irrelevant.

If brodeur can play being this old, so can lu, especially considering he has a style of play that can keep him around, not like Brodeur with the small pads, etc
Buy outs are only available for the next two years no?

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:08 AM
Bure All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Well by the time Lu's contract is up, there'll be a new CBA hahahah

Old
05-13-2013, 05:11 AM
Bure All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDevil View Post
I hope you're joking.
Kovy's contract is worse that Lu's, good luck with a 37 year old sniper scoring 50 points a year at best, while having that beauty 6.6 mil cap hit... oh btw that lasts til he's 42 bahahahah

Old
05-13-2013, 05:33 AM
Luc Gretzky

NJ fans, how close is Bernier + Muzzin for the 2013 9th overall pick + Hedberg to working? What are your other big needs (other than future franchise goaltender)?

Last edited by Luc Gretzky: 05-13-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Luc Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:48 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout-calcul...06&buyout_d=15

Loungo buy out would still be on the books until 2031, thats just ugly.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:48 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Amnesty ones have to be done this year or next. Normal buyouts can be done any time during the CBA. They are also a great way to make the last 3 years of a deal like Luongo or Zetterberg or Price etc diappear with the help of non-cap team with a player they dumped.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 06:09 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Khudobin is UFA. Won't cost you anything in assets, age wise he fits with the goalies slowly graduating over 3 or so years, will be fairly cheap and he wants to be a starter. Worth a look for Calgary because it won't matter if he isn't that good since they are rebuilding, if he turns out excellent that's a free asset.
t

I hate to say this but Calgary should not go after a premier goalie at any cost. Anton maybe a fit but trying out the inexperienced guys you drafted makes the most sense.
Total rebuilding mode. Good/Great Goalies can steal wins and the last thing the Flames want is less lottery balls

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Amnesty ones have to be done this year or next. Normal buyouts can be done any time during the CBA. They are also a great way to make the last 3 years of a deal like Luongo or Zetterberg or Price etc diappear with the help of non-cap team with a player they dumped.
Right and with the normal ones they are on the hook for the cap no?

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 06:47 AM
burgess1978

Add Ryan Miller to the list. 1 more year @ $6.25m then UFA.

Tim Thomas will also be a UFA and may return.

Ray Emery is a pending UFA.

Bryzgalov may be a UFA (buyout)

Nabokov will be a UFA.

Lots of goalies available. There are a lot of teams looking for veteran backups so some of these guys may end up in lesser roles.

Last edited by burgess1978: 05-13-2013 at 06:57 AM.
burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 07:34 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc Gretzky View Post
NJ fans, how close is Bernier + Muzzin for the 2013 9th overall pick + Hedberg to working? What are your other big needs (other than future franchise goaltender)?
Devils don't need another D. The biggest need is goals and scoring. Substitute Muzzin for Toffoli. But even still it might not be enough.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote