HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Varlamov Man Crush Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 07:44 PM
keslerburrows

vCash: 500
Love watching Varlamov even as a Canucks fan. Those sliding glove saves are sexy. You guys' are lucky to have this guy so cheap for this year and the next. Now if you spent some of that$$ on defence... The western conf. standing would look a lot different. Avs fans have a lot to be excited about. Definitely jealous.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Where is this ranking at?
TSN, on the tube.

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:25 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Lets see where that idiot mclennan ranks Varly. He had Varly second worse goalie in the west earlier this yr only Mason/Bobrovsky was worse.
I saw his eastern rankings and I stopped watching before he did his west rankings. "Idiot" is an understatement when you are describing McLennan.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:51 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
I saw his eastern rankings and I stopped watching before he did his west rankings. "Idiot" is an understatement when you are describing McLennan.
Yah I was being as nice as possible. This guy was a terrible goalie and might be an even worse analyst or watever he is on TSN

Last edited by Frenchy: 03-12-2013 at 03:20 PM.
The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Love watching Varlamov even as a Canucks fan. Those sliding glove saves are sexy. You guys' are lucky to have this guy so cheap for this year and the next. Now if you spent some of that$$ on defence... The western conf. standing would look a lot different. Avs fans have a lot to be excited about. Definitely jealous.
We didn't leave the division just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Yah I was being as nice as possible. This guy was a terrible goalie and might be an even worse analyst or watever he is on TSN
Oh God he's terrible, like worse the kevin weekes bad. I still don't understand why TSN doesn't give Mike Johnson more air time, I think he's good for an ex player and he's still very new, so he can get a lot more experience.

Last edited by Frenchy: 03-12-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: QEP
Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:36 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Their defense is better than ours:

Ehrhoff-Myers
Regehr-Sekera
Pardy/Leopold/Weber/Sulzer
On paper, yes. But the way Myers has played this year I bet he would have gotten a few healthy scratches playing for the Avs. The rest of the D hasn't been all that good either.

IMO Miller and Varly and in pretty similar situations. I've seen both keep their teams in games many times this season that they had no business being in. Both have decent offenses but the D just isn't there. For this season, I'd have a hard time saying who is better of the two. Long term you obviously go with the younger Varly, but for this season alone their very close I'd say.

Plus, they've had so much trouble with faceoffs you've gotta figure more than a few of those lost draws have ended up in a beauty scoring chance that Miller didn't have much chance of stopping

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:26 PM
avsfan9

Any one think varly gets delt in a package for a big name goalie or does sakic and co. Give him a shot. I think behind better defense and a new coaching staff varly could be top 10 in the league.

avsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Ceremony
Transcendence

vCash: 499
Varlamov isn't going to be traded.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan9 View Post
Any one think varly gets delt in a package for a big name goalie or does sakic and co. Give him a shot. I think behind better defense and a new coaching staff varly could be top 10 in the league.
I don't think he gets traded. I see no reason to. Unless he screws up this next season behind a better defense then I can see Sakic looking to move him.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
I doubt it , Sherman is still on board and he made this trade. Unless Varly goes downhill big time this year , i dont see any trade in the future involving him.

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Hans Landaskog

vCash: 50
Varly is still young and has too much upside to trade him just yet.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Mouse21*

Quote:
less than zero % chance

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Heebs21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
less than zero % chance
Why is that? Because he was so good last year?

Heebs21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:58 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Varly still has the ability to become a truly elite goaltender. I think we saw glimpses of that last year. If they can get a solid system around him, and give him that goal and defensive support, he'll prove his worth.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:11 PM
Heebs21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
Varly still has the ability to become a truly elite goaltender. I think we saw glimpses of that last year. If they can get a solid system around him, and give him that goal and defensive support, he'll prove his worth.
When will the excuses stop? Is it the systems fault or the lack of support that makes him give up at least one sieve goal per game? Why did JS Giguere play better? Was the team around him different?

Varlamov is far from elite. As of now he would make a decent backup on a good team and a marginal starter on a bad team.

We gave Craig Anderson up for nothing and he is a Conn Smythe calibre goalie
We gave Brian Elliot up for nothing and he lead his team to the playoffs

Mike Smith was a FA signing
Thomas Vokoun was a FA signing
Antti Niemi was a FA signing
Jonas Hiller was a FA signing out of Switzerland
Viktor Fasth was a FA signing out of Sweden
Corey Crawford was a 2nd round pick
Jimmy Howard was a 2nd round pick
James Reimer was a 4th round pick

All of these guys are better than the goalie we have and all of their teams are in the playoffs. Look where they were found. We gave up a premium pick AND and 2nd round pick for a goalie who to this point is a complete bust.

Only homers can argue otherwise. Speaking of homerism, it is out of control on this board.

Heebs21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:24 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs21 View Post
Speaking of homerism, it is out of control on this board.
Yeah, unfortunately we've become one of the worst fan bases in that regard.

iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:14 AM
Hans Landaskog

JSG wasn't better than Varly, just more consistent. He's been around the league and was a high-end goalie in his prime. Not that unexpected. Varly doesn't need excuses, nor should we have any reason to assume he won't get better.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:16 AM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
When will the excuses stop? Is it the systems fault or the lack of support that makes him give up at least one sieve goal per game? Why did JS Giguere play better? Was the team around him different?

Varlamov is far from elite. As of now he would make a decent backup on a good team and a marginal starter on a bad team.

All of these guys are better than the goalie we have and all of their teams are in the playoffs. Look where they were found. We gave up a premium pick AND and 2nd round pick for a goalie who to this point is a complete bust.

Only homers can argue otherwise. Speaking of homerism, it is out of control on this board.
That list is a joke, I could only argue a couple being better than Varlamov. Not to mention a few of those have had much worse seasons than Varly.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:26 AM
CoachBadkitten
Matt Hunwick

Quote:

Regardless, we didn't give that much because we wanted a good goalie right them or right now. If we wanted that we would have signed Vokoun. We wanted a guy to grow with our core and he certainly has the potential to be an elite goalie.

CoachBadkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:05 AM
stanislav
o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚

The problem with Varly isn't him, -it's the price we paid was just so excessive it will never balance out.

Not to mention we traded for the wrong one. Holtby is the real winner.

stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Ceremony
Transcendence

Strange, I could have sworn in February/March 2012 Varlamov was the best one and McPhee boobed in not selling one of the other goalies

Old
05-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Strange, I could have sworn in February/March 2012 Varlamov was the best one and McPhee boobed in not selling one of the other goalies
Yeah, well in 2011 the Avs screwed up not getting Holtby. So I guess next season it will be back to Varly is god, no?

People need to lay off Varly, he played lights out for awhile when our team sucked. Then he struggles and loses his confidence and all of a sudden JSG is better? Giggy had a better team playing in front of him almost every damn game, more goal support, better defensive coverage, more blocked shots and more shots from further away than in tight. It was a joke how little support Varly actually got and he never quit on plays.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Yeah, well in 2011 the Avs screwed up not getting Holtby. So I guess next season it will be back to Varly is god, no?

People need to lay off Varly, he played lights out for awhile when our team sucked. Then he struggles and loses his confidence and all of a sudden JSG is better? Giggy had a better team playing in front of him almost every damn game, more goal support, better defensive coverage, more blocked shots and more shots from further away than in tight. It was a joke how little support Varly actually got and he never quit on plays.
Team played better in front of Giguere.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauss View Post
The problem with Varly isn't him, -it's the price we paid was just so excessive it will never balance out.

Not to mention we traded for the wrong one. Holtby is the real winner.
I don't think price was that big. 1st and 2nd round picks for possible franchise goaltender. I'll take it. Of course It's a gamble, but It's not like these 1st and 2nd round picks are sure to become NHL all-stars. (that's what fans normally believe..)

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Ceremony
Transcendence

The 1st rounder has since been traded less than a year after the pick was made for someone who had asked to leave his previous team. I'd rather have Varlamov than Erat, Forsberg or the pick on draft day.