HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread #4

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-12-2013, 10:10 PM
  #676
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,684
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well ya I guess so. Kinda like Carle in a sense. Honestly, I think the Yandle is a better Carle is a perfect comparison. If Yandle is on the team, he'd easily be a scapegoat for most people. I have watched a decent amount of Yotes games due to my old roommate being a huge fan and from Arizona. The guys defense is pretty poor.
Yandle wont throw those weak wristed shots from 50 feet in on goal. haha.
but yeah I agree. Yandle is below average defensively. He would be the perfect guy to focus the blame away from Bryzgalov or whoever is in goal.
This team does need a guy like Yandle tho. yes he does have issues on the defensive side of the puck. Guys that can bring the offense but are weaker defensively usually aren't available via trade. If they do acquire him we are just going to have to accept who he is. But they have to go get someone who can get the forwards the puck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Yandle would be interesting because he would bring a new element to their back end. He is a border line elite offensive threat (much better than carle) from the back end, which the Flyers havent had in forever. He would fit well with Lavy's system and probably flourish in it. I could see him putting up 60-70 points, which would be pretty significant...a whole new threat for this team.
60-70 points would be a stretch.


Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 05-12-2013 at 10:20 PM.
GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 10:11 PM
  #677
markzab
Registered User
 
markzab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA.
Country: United States
Posts: 4,360
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Not at the cost of Couturier+
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I can agree. Also let me take this time to show appreciation for your avatar. That movie has the most muscle mass ever assembled in cinema history.
You sure about that?


markzab is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 11:38 PM
  #678
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,624
vCash: 156
Yandle and Edler both strike me as things this team already has in abundance...Dmen who are decent but not quite good enough to hold down the fort on their own. I'm not interested in gathering even more of those at a cost. We already have to worry about getting rid of Mez as it is.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
05-13-2013, 12:01 AM
  #679
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,783
vCash: 1050
We have 40-50 pt defensemen in abundance on this team? Hell Yandle is on pace for 60 the last 2 years.

PALE PWNR is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 12:02 AM
  #680
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,684
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yandle and Edler both strike me as things this team already has in abundance...Dmen who are decent but not quite good enough to hold down the fort on their own. I'm not interested in gathering even more of those at a cost. We already have to worry about getting rid of Mez as it is.
We dont have anything like Yandle. An offensive defenseman who can get the puck to our forwards. yes he has defensive shortcomings. This team needs a guy like that whether its Yandle or someone else.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 12:35 AM
  #681
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,279
vCash: 500
I rather try to get Gardiner off Toronto than Yandle. He would be the cheaper option of the two and he's more well rounded than Yandle. He's only 22 with a 30 point season already under his belt and still has some upside left.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 01:06 AM
  #682
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,624
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
We have 40-50 pt defensemen in abundance on this team? Hell Yandle is on pace for 60 the last 2 years.
He can't do a damned thing defensively though, and we don't have goaltenders who can compensate for that. (I don't trust Mason yet.)

We need a guy who can replace Timonen. Is Yandle that guy? Can he become that guy? If we're trading Couturier (or more) for him, he needs to be.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
05-13-2013, 03:27 AM
  #683
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,783
vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He can't do a damned thing defensively though, and we don't have goaltenders who can compensate for that. (I don't trust Mason yet.)

We need a guy who can replace Timonen. Is Yandle that guy? Can he become that guy? If we're trading Couturier (or more) for him, he needs to be.
I think my issue with your line of thinking is that we aren't going to get a Timonen or Pronger or Pietrangelo or Doughty type defensemen that can move the puck and be a rock on defense unless we draft one, but for now acquiring a talented offensive defensemen with the roster we have would not be a bad thing. When Kimmo retires who do we have that can move the puck? Frankly I'm not ready to give Gustafsson the benefit of the doubt that he is going to be the offensive puck mover we need on the back end. I think he will help, sure, but who else do we have?

PALE PWNR is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 06:25 AM
  #684
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I rather try to get Gardiner off Toronto than Yandle. He would be the cheaper option of the two and he's more well rounded than Yandle. He's only 22 with a 30 point season already under his belt and still has some upside left.
Why would the Leafs make this deal? Good defencemen right now are at a premium so teams are likely to hold on to them.

MsWoof is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 06:41 AM
  #685
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Why would the Leafs make this deal? Good defencemen right now are at a premium so teams are likely to hold on to them.
He spent the majority of the season in the AHL because Randy Carlyle doesn't like him, the emergence of Cody Franson, and they need more help upfront (specifically the center position). Leafs fans seem to think he's expendable. Their depth at the blue-line is pretty good on their roster and in their prospect pool.

There's a chance they might lose Tyler Bozak this summer (speculation is he's looking for $5M a year) to free agency. That would make the need for a center even greater for them.

The Leafs also have Morgan Rielly (5th overall, 2012) and Stuart Percy (25th overall, 2011) looking to possibly crack the lineup next year. Rielly more so than Percy.


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-13-2013 at 07:03 AM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 06:43 AM
  #686
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He can't do a damned thing defensively though, and we don't have goaltenders who can compensate for that. (I don't trust Mason yet.)

We need a guy who can replace Timonen. Is Yandle that guy? Can he become that guy? If we're trading Couturier (or more) for him, he needs to be.
Agreed. That's why the Flyers need to bite the bullet and draft a defenseman that can be groomed to be a number one defenseman. The thought that the Flyers can acquire some other team's number 2 or 3 guy and immediately insert them as the number one guy here won't ever work. It makes no sense what so ever to give up a ton of assets to acquire said defender and only have him bomb in the number one role here.

If a deal is made for Yandle, it's because Yandle will be used as a number 3 guy here. He'll be the ideal puck moving defenseman that's needed for the second pairing and run the power play. It still doesn't address what will happen with Timonen when he's gone and it's just another lateral move that still has the same hole in the lineup.

Honestly, the Flyers need to suck it up this year and draft a defenseman. Even if a guy like Shinkaruk is still on the board, you move down to draft a defenseman and acquire more assets along the way.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 07:18 AM
  #687
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
I fully expect Bouwmeester to be bought out by the Blues with the Flyers sweeping in to pick him up. I don't know if he's the guy, but he'll definitely be an upgrade. That should be a competitive blueline.

chimrichalds18 is online now  
Old
05-13-2013, 07:31 AM
  #688
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,250
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
I fully expect Bouwmeester to be bought out by the Blues with the Flyers sweeping in to pick him up. I don't know if he's the guy, but he'll definitely be an upgrade. That should be a competitive blueline.
Really? Why would the Blues do that? To save $$$ for the other defenseman? I imagine they would trade him, not buy him out. He's too good to buy out. Someone will want his contract. Also, and I could be incorrect about this, but I think I remember there being a lot of buzz about J-Bo not wanting to come to the East Coast or something. That could be 100% wrong so if someone remembers better feel free to correct. If he is bought out, I would be all over signing him.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 08:51 AM
  #689
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,841
vCash: 500
I wonder if the Sabres will buyout Miller. They might not have any takers on him and he is due 6.25 million next year. He was rumored earlier that he might be a buyout casuality and he has his Buffalo condo for sale. It seems like he is on his way out of there. Would much rather have him to ridicule than Bryz.

Prongo is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 09:02 AM
  #690
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I wonder if the Sabres will buyout Miller. They might not have any takers on him and he is due 6.25 million next year. He was rumored earlier that he might be a buyout casuality and he has his Buffalo condo for sale. It seems like he is on his way out of there. Would much rather have him to ridicule than Bryz.
Their owner's not shy at throwing around money.

Edit: I thought he had more than a year left on his contract. I think they would at least able to trade him for something. They could also retain some of his cap hit and trade him to a team that's strapped for cap space.


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-13-2013 at 09:20 AM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 09:13 AM
  #691
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I wonder if the Sabres will buyout Miller. They might not have any takers on him and he is due 6.25 million next year. He was rumored earlier that he might be a buyout casuality and he has his Buffalo condo for sale. It seems like he is on his way out of there. Would much rather have him to ridicule than Bryz.
In the current NHL, he's still a very tradeable asset, so there's no incentive to waste a buyout, pay the buyout and not get any return.

Broad Street Elite is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 09:19 AM
  #692
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
In the current NHL, he's still a very tradeable asset, so there's no incentive to waste a buyout, pay the buyout and not get any return.
There really aren't many places I can see him going though. Edmonton always comes to mind, and Phoenix. I don't think Phoenix wants to pony up that cash though. Maybe St. Louis, but they have Allen coming through the pipelines.

Prongo is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 09:35 AM
  #693
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
I fully expect Bouwmeester to be bought out by the Blues with the Flyers sweeping in to pick him up. I don't know if he's the guy, but he'll definitely be an upgrade. That should be a competitive blueline.
Why on earth would the Blues do that? They don't need the cap space--not really, anyway. And they gave up a first round pick + for him.

He's the idea partner for Pietrangelo. His cap hit is a little high, but I can't see that organization ponying up for a buyout when they face the prospect of major outlays for Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, etc.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 10:35 AM
  #694
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
There really aren't many places I can see him going though. Edmonton always comes to mind, and Phoenix. I don't think Phoenix wants to pony up that cash though. Maybe St. Louis, but they have Allen coming through the pipelines.
Islanders?
Toronto?
New Jersey? Brodeur about to retire and no replacement waiting in the wings. A proven commodity could help sustain their success.
Minnesota? Backstrom about to be a UFA and a lot of uncertainty with Harding over a full season's load.

I think there are a number of options that could acquire Miller before he is simply amnestied. Those amnesty buyouts are literally a last resort.

Broad Street Elite is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 10:38 AM
  #695
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,821
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I would much rather have Streit without giving up players over Yandle and giving up players.

flyersfan187 is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 10:39 AM
  #696
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I would much rather have Streit without giving up players over Yandle and giving up players.
Depending on the terms of the contract, I agree.

Broad Street Elite is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 10:46 AM
  #697
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Islanders?
Toronto?
New Jersey? Brodeur about to retire and no replacement waiting in the wings. A proven commodity could help sustain their success.
Minnesota? Backstrom about to be a UFA and a lot of uncertainty with Harding over a full season's load.

I think there are a number of options that could acquire Miller before he is simply amnestied. Those amnesty buyouts are literally a last resort.
I think Minnesota is the only real fit there out of those teams you listed.

Reimer seems to becoming a legit goalie. The Islanders are likely buying out Dipietro this summer and looking to clear some payroll for potential new ownership. I don't see the Devils paying $10M in goalies for next year neither.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 11:44 AM
  #698
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,250
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I would much rather have Streit without giving up players over Yandle and giving up players.
You have to give to get. Streit, first and foremost, would have to sign here. Which is FAR from a guarantee. He is also 35 years old, will be 36 in December. While he is good, he doesn't strike me as the type of player that you should be signing for multiple years at 35 years of age. Streit is not going to fix anything on this defense. He would help next year, for sure. But will he sign here? Will be back after that? If he does come back, does a 37 year old defenseman on what would likely be a pretty hefty contract even make sense? Does a pretty hefty contract for a 36 year old defenseman make sense next year?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 11:45 AM
  #699
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Why on earth would the Blues do that? They don't need the cap space--not really, anyway. And they gave up a first round pick + for him.

He's the idea partner for Pietrangelo. His cap hit is a little high, but I can't see that organization ponying up for a buyout when they face the prospect of major outlays for Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, etc.
OK I should have said it differently -- more what DFF said as he corrected me. I just can't see him playing for the Blues next year. They have too many people to re-sign, and we know that they'll probably want to make sure their scoring depth is taken care of or aided in some way. I don't think the math works out to allow Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, and J-Bouw. Trading is the better route for them since they should be able to get a good return for him, but I'm not sure they have a good amount of leverage, assuming their first priority is definitely getting #22 and #27 signed long-term.

chimrichalds18 is online now  
Old
05-13-2013, 11:45 AM
  #700
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,624
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I think my issue with your line of thinking is that we aren't going to get a Timonen or Pronger or Pietrangelo or Doughty type defensemen that can move the puck and be a rock on defense unless we draft one, but for now acquiring a talented offensive defensemen with the roster we have would not be a bad thing. When Kimmo retires who do we have that can move the puck? Frankly I'm not ready to give Gustafsson the benefit of the doubt that he is going to be the offensive puck mover we need on the back end. I think he will help, sure, but who else do we have?
My line of thinking is that it's not worth it to destroy what defensive ability our forward corps has, especially with Feds likely gone, just so we can have a defensively poor puck mover to fill out our 5 or 6 top 4dmen. It's poor long term planning. Keep Couturier. Draft dmen. build properly. There is no magic bullet out there at this time, and you don't toss away your very promising young prospects for one dimensional stop gaps.

Hell, with the current goaltending situation they aren't going to be contending any time in the forseeable future. Might as well develop and build properly.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.