HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Greatest Moments in Hockey History?

Old
05-12-2013, 10:59 PM
CP31

vCash: 500
Greatest Moments in Hockey History?

What are some of the moments in NHL history that brought a tear to your eye? I can think of Bourque getting his cup and for me, the habs 1993 win. What are yours?

CP31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Mouse21*

sakic fakes it, takes it...

off the floor, on the board. paul kariya.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:10 AM
Tarasenko
UNREGISTERED USER

He scoressssssss!
Sidney Crosby! The Golden Goal!

Tarasenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 03:04 AM
alko

Bondra scored game winning goal in the 2002 WCH finals.

Unfortunately, the commentator died after few years to some serious disease.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:23 AM
plusandminus

Miracle on ice, i.e. USA winning the 1980 Olympics, is likely one of the greatest.
Summit series.
I suppose Wayne Gretzky dominating scoring wise (and otherwise) is another. It may not be a single moment, but Gretzky and his records still holds and is still being talked about. "Gretzky position" (behind opponent's net), etc.

plusandminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 07:18 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Personally I thought Gretzky's retirement game (and really the whole several days before, with opposing teams lining up to shake his hand when the rumors about him retiring started circulating) was one of the finest moments I've seen. Everything was really well done, from bringing out Messier, Lemieux, and Gretzky's other buddies before the game, to retiring his number league-wide, to the national anthems (which I usually don't care for) adding Gretzky references, to the long send-off after the game. And unlike Jordan, Lemieux, etc. he never cheapened it by coming out of retirement afterwards.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:25 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

This:

05-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusandminus View Post
Miracle on ice, i.e. USA winning the 1980 Olympics, is likely one of the greatest.
Summit series.
I suppose Wayne Gretzky dominating scoring wise (and otherwise) is another. It may not be a single moment, but Gretzky and his records still holds and is still being talked about. "Gretzky position" (behind opponent's net), etc.
Agreed with all these and...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61 Hawks Cup.jpg‎ (29.4 KB, 9 views)

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:53 PM
brianscot

Any moment where Phil Esposito shows legitimate humility is a special one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83FzYJd_vYI

Okay and I have to admit it, anytime Jean Beliveau carries that damned torch onto the ice it's quite moving. 06 forever.

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:05 PM
eddytheeagle20

"and after 22 years .... Raymond bourque!!!!!!"

eddytheeagle20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

A young Psycho Papa Joe beating a future NHLer for best goaltender.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 03:27 PM
JaymzB

The Montreal Forum closing ceremony.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Hanji

Game 1 of Summit Series. It's the moment when hockey became a global game at the highest level.

1980 Olympics. Obvious reasons.

Bourque finally winning the Cup

Koivu's return from cancer at the Molson Center.

Last edited by Hanji: 05-13-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Hanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 06:00 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusandminus View Post
I suppose Wayne Gretzky dominating scoring wise (and otherwise) is another.
Gretzky had it, lost it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
This:

Wrong #19, wrong defenseman.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 06:22 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
Stack Shot Billy

Yeah, Konstantinov holding the SC the year after the accident was so bitter sweet. Touching, yet heart breaking.

Lafleur's comeback. Scored 2 goals in Winnipeg and had a penalty shot for the hattrick. Stopped by Reddick. Me, 20 years old, drunk and stumble-bum, just going crazy. Also, his 2 goal night at the Forum and his standing O (12 minutes?) at the Forum for his last game.

And yes, the Forum's closing as someone mentioned. The ovation for the Rocket, such adoration and respect for the man. Gretzky's last game was very similar. The end of an era. How we wish some players could play forever at their peak.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Big Phil

I guess some of them are subjective. But I'll try and capture the moments that almost any fan can relate to and admit they were watching something special.

- Bourque winning the Cup. Look, I haven't shed a tear privately or publicly in a decade, but this hockey's version of "Its a Wonderful Life" in my opinion. Everything Bourque went through with the Bruins, from great teams to has been teams it felt great even for a Bruin fan to watch him lift the Cup. The relief, the emotions, the tears all came to the forefront. One of the greatest players in the history of the game waited so long to win the Cup and he needed his final game to get there. You knew classy Joe Sakic was going to pass him the Cup without even blinking.

- The closing of the Montreal Forum. I'm a Leaf fan and while I was sad to see Maple Leaf Gardens close I can also say that the emotion that came from the closing of the Forum trumps everything. The 8 minute ovation for Richard. Seeing even the fierce Rocket wipe away tears as the crowd cheeered him on just gave you a lump in your throat.

- The Miracle on Ice game. It had everything. A close game, political tension to it and a 1000-1 odds type of game. As a Canadian I get chills when I hear Al Michaels say "Do you believe in Miracles.........YES!"

- Henderson's goal. Nuff said.

- Lemieux's goal in 1987. Alright, it wasn't like 1972, the Ruskies already had our respect so it wasn't one of those "we lost but won" type of thing. But still, those three games by those two great teams were priceless. Even today I watch those games on tape and despite knowing what will happen it is tense.

- Crosby's goal. The best player in the game scores an Olympic gold medal winning goal in overtime on his home ice. When will that ever happen again?

- 1996 World Cup, Game 3. Even seeing the Americans win, that was still a classic game. Mike Richter's performance was one for the ages.

- The Easter Epic in 1987. That was a classic goaltending duel.

- Nystrom's goal in 1980

- Seeing Vladdy on the ice with his wheelchair celebrating with the 1998 Wings.

- Fleury's save off of Lidstrom in 2009. I can't think of another time when the Stanley Cup came down to one single play for hockey supremacy.

- Richter's save off of Bure in the 1994 Cup final. It was one of those times when even as you were watching it you knew it was going to be a classic either way it went

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:06 PM
fish7

vCash: 565
Mario Lemieux 's play during the 91 playoffs 44 points in 23 games including two of the greatest highlight goals I have ever seen

semis vs boston http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vOd2TYop38

finals against north stars http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDKBtifY79s

fish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:09 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I guess some of them are subjective. But I'll try and capture the moments that almost any fan can relate to and admit they were watching something special.

- Bourque winning the Cup. Look, I haven't shed a tear privately or publicly in a decade, but this hockey's version of "Its a Wonderful Life" in my opinion. Everything Bourque went through with the Bruins, from great teams to has been teams it felt great even for a Bruin fan to watch him lift the Cup. The relief, the emotions, the tears all came to the forefront. One of the greatest players in the history of the game waited so long to win the Cup and he needed his final game to get there. You knew classy Joe Sakic was going to pass him the Cup without even blinking.

- The closing of the Montreal Forum. I'm a Leaf fan and while I was sad to see Maple Leaf Gardens close I can also say that the emotion that came from the closing of the Forum trumps everything. The 8 minute ovation for Richard. Seeing even the fierce Rocket wipe away tears as the crowd cheeered him on just gave you a lump in your throat.

- The Miracle on Ice game. It had everything. A close game, political tension to it and a 1000-1 odds type of game. As a Canadian I get chills when I hear Al Michaels say "Do you believe in Miracles.........YES!"

- Henderson's goal. Nuff said.

- Lemieux's goal in 1987. Alright, it wasn't like 1972, the Ruskies already had our respect so it wasn't one of those "we lost but won" type of thing. But still, those three games by those two great teams were priceless. Even today I watch those games on tape and despite knowing what will happen it is tense.

- Crosby's goal. The best player in the game scores an Olympic gold medal winning goal in overtime on his home ice. When will that ever happen again?

- 1996 World Cup, Game 3. Even seeing the Americans win, that was still a classic game. Mike Richter's performance was one for the ages.

- The Easter Epic in 1987. That was a classic goaltending duel.

- Nystrom's goal in 1980

- Seeing Vladdy on the ice with his wheelchair celebrating with the 1998 Wings.

- Fleury's save off of Lidstrom in 2009. I can't think of another time when the Stanley Cup came down to one single play for hockey supremacy.

- Richter's save off of Bure in the 1994 Cup final. It was one of those times when even as you were watching it you knew it was going to be a classic either way it went
You forgot:

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote