HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Kids Or Sergi And Mike

Old
09-27-2006, 03:12 PM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
The Kids Or Sergi And Mike

clearly , Lats, A.K. and Perez all cant make this team with the guaranteed contracts , so the question is did we need to spend the money on Samsonov and Johnson this year . I would say at best case we get 50 goals total from the 2 , for
nearly 5 mil in salary . In my opinion if you let these 3 kids play , 50 goals should be a go, with Koivu, Kovy, Higgins, Ribs, and Ryder was this money well spent?
Clearly we have some veteran leadership , I JUST THINK WE WILL HINDER A KID`S
DEVELOPMENT HERE, are these 2 the missing pieces to an extra playoff round?
I think we should of given the kids the chance to play full roles this year. Then next year with Abs, Rivet or Souray, Bonk off the books you could of had extra money to pursue other players.

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
clearly , Lats, A.K. and Perez all cant make this team with the guaranteed contracts , so the question is did we need to spend the money on Samsonov and Johnson this year . I would say at best case we get 50 goals total from the 2 , for
nearly 5 mil in salary . In my opinion if you let these 3 kids play , 50 goals should be a go, with Koivu, Kovy, Higgins, Ribs, and Ryder was this money well spent?
I think we should of given the kids the chance to play full roles this year. Then next year with Abs, Rivet or Souray, Bonk off the books you could of had extra money to pursue other players.

its better to be safe than sorry

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 03:17 PM
hab

I kind of wonder why we picked up johnson, knowing he would play on the third line at best, they tried that with bonk and it turned out to be a disaster. Nice to see
Johnson is having a good camp though...

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Dr. Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
In a way, it's our money,
but in another way, it's not
so I don't really care saving money
we never attract big UFA's anyways...

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
samsonov is an excellent player, you will see

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 03:22 PM
VGTvidz

I'm really happy of Mike Johnson, Samsonov, I'm not sure, I was really happy to see him sign, the only thing is, i'm wondering if Boby Gainey did it just to shut up some fans and the medias. We should have see this coming, I mean, at least one of our top 3 rookies (kosty, Tender, Perez) would have been ready to play on the 2nd line. Anyway, let's be happy with this problem, we have a lot of good prospect and let the best one play!

VGTvidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab View Post
I kind of wonder why we picked up johnson, knowing he would play on the third line at best, they tried that with bonk and it turned out to be a disaster. Nice to see
Bonk's season was disaster mainly because he was injured FOUR times - not because playing role of defensive two-way centerman and penalty killer, in which he has great ability.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Darz

Well when you consider that the three forward kids from last year combined for 41 goals (Plek's - 9, Perez - 9, Higgins - 23), I don't think 50 is a shoe in.

Plus I don't believe bringing a prospect along slowly, every hinders a kid's development, outside of the rare case like a Sidney Crosby or such.

09-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
its better to be safe than sorry
Bingo!

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 03:39 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

i assume perhaps it had something to do with us having 4 rookies in the lineup last season, perhaps management wanted to bring in some experienced players for the short term (1-2 years) instead of having 2-3 rookies this year to go along with 4 2n year players, since we should be a playoff team and it makes sense to add guys with playoff experience. come playoff time hopefully it will come in handy.

Johnson, Bonk and Abby could all be gone after this season, plus who knows what happens with our big 3 ufa's on defense. Guys like danis, price, halak, grabo, chipchura, ferland, lappy, ob, emelin, could fight for spots next year.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Johnson is a player that can play with pretty much anyone and that's a bonus.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Mike8

Kovalev and Koivu tend to miss a few games each year. When both were out last season, the team's offensive depth was anemic, and the team suffered for it.

This coming season, if one or both Koivu and Kovalev go down, there will be a few veterans who are accustomed to playing key forward roles to step up.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab View Post
Because we couldn't be sure that any rookie(s) would replace the goals scored by Zednik and Bulis. Johnson and Samsonov should exceed their total.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGTvidz View Post
I'm really happy of Mike Johnson, Samsonov, I'm not sure, I was really happy to see him sign, the only thing is, i'm wondering if Boby Gainey did it just to shut up some fans and the medias. We should have see this coming, I mean, at least one of our top 3 rookies (kosty, Tender, Perez) would have been ready to play on the 2nd line. Anyway, let's be happy with this problem, we have a lot of good prospect and let the best one play!
Could you be sure of that back in July?

Old
09-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Kovalev and Koivu tend to miss a few games each year. When both were out last season, the team's offensive depth was anemic, and the team suffered for it.

This coming season, if one or both Koivu and Kovalev go down, there will be a few veterans who are accustomed to playing key forward roles to step up.
One mistake that shouldn't be repeated is installing Bonk at C between Higgins and Ryder. That job should go to Plekanec, with Johnson (not Chipchura or Lapierre) taking his place.

Old
09-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Sergei and Mike over the kids...for now

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 04:10 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Could you be sure of that back in July?
Is there anything we could be sure of? ...didn't think so.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Back when the rumors were around and then when we signed him, I said one thing about Samsonov.

He had the potential to be an all-star, he's settled down into the role of a 20 goal scorer. I also said we had enough of those guys, and favored signing another kind of winger, someone with more of an edge.

We'll see if Samsonov proves me wrong, but if camp is any indication, I was right. I hope he does prove me wrong.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 11:20 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Well when you consider that the three forward kids from last year combined for 41 goals (Plek's - 9, Perez - 9, Higgins - 23), I don't think 50 is a shoe in.

Plus I don't believe bringing a prospect along slowly, every hinders a kid's development, outside of the rare case like a Sidney Crosby or such.
Or Andrei Kostitsyn...

Im not saying he got Crosby type talent, im saying hes that kind of player with high potential that needs every bit of NHL ice possible.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:21 AM
NewHabsEra*

To start... I think and always thought Kostitsyn was a great talent in the mold of Vanek... The problem is the consistency issue.. Go on Sabres board and you will read a couple of fans not satisfacted with Vanek's work ethic and overall efficiency... So, I think it was the right decision to let Kostitsyn some time to become a better hockey player in the minors... Now the guy looks ready, he has a strong camp and seems an offensive weapon everytime he touches the ice, looked involved in the play when I watched him play against the Leafs and defensively he is ok...

Now, we have 2 young offensive players that can have an impact on the team...

Some are saying Perezhogin is in trouble but this is not the reality... The reality is that Perezhogin is one of the most skilled fowards we have in the org, is about 22 years old, had strong playoffs last year and is only starting his second season as a Habs.. So be sure the kid will make the team, this is not even a question... Gainey would be quite stupid to trade him away without getting something really good in return... So unless we can get a top NHL ready D prospect, Perezhogin is here to stay.. (Im a strong Perezhogin fan and I think he is a keeper for the years to come, so I personally would never trade him, even for a top D prospect)...

Now... Ferland, Lapierre and Chipchura have been sent down... So its safe to say its between Kostitsyn and Latendresse for the 13th or 14th foward spot...

Latendresse vs Kostitsyn:

Kostitsyn: As stated above.. Great camp, he is showing why we picked him 10th overall in a so deep draft... The kid had some epileptic probs, now its not even an issue.. On ice he had some consistency and work ethic prob... Most will say thats the reason why we could get him 10th overall while some will relate this to the fact he wasnt healthy... Fact is, the kid looks huge right now, a great offensive talent we would add to the team this year if we werent as skilled and packed up front...

Latendresse: Only 19 years old... All the french medias are cheering for him, the fans want him in the line-up... Forget the medias and the hype for 1 sec... Guy is having a strong camp as well, involved in the play, he hits, skates, great stickhandling skills.. Everytime he touches the ice, something happens...

We all know the team isnt lacking skills... Our 3 first lines are all about skills, probably one of the most skilled teams in the league... But what we are lacking is finishing and physical presence...

Both Kostitsyn and Latendresse are good scorers, they proved it in the past and during the camp... They can score goals... The main difference at the moment is the fact Latendresse bring more physically than Ksotitsyn...

Personally I think Kostitsyn is doing fine along the board and gives some nice bodychecks at time but Lats is just dominating in this area of the game...

I think Kostitsyn bring a bit more offense than Lats but on another side Lats' physical game is a must in our line-up, bring something we lack...

To be honest, I really dont know who between Lats and Kost will make it... (I give the edge to Lats at the moment by a close margin) .. But one thing sure, the one who will make it will give a hard time to the "regulars" in place and will add amazing depth to an already amazing line-up fowards!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote