HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
05-12-2013, 02:53 PM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Suzuki is going bankrupt... They don't have any dealers anymore.
Now this may sound bad... But the mechanic is super simple and very reliable+Economic. A regular mechanic will be able to fix those cars easily. They're also at a bargain price right now.
wouldnt this make getting replacement parts a bit of a challenge?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
When was the last time you've driven an M3 or a C63?

Go with the Benz. It's the most ''natural'' of all of them... If you want something more practical go with the S4.

Suzuki is going bankrupt... They don't have any dealers anymore.
Now this may sound bad... But the mechanic is super simple and very reliable+Economic. A regular mechanic will be able to fix those cars easily. They're also at a bargain price right now.
Forgot to add though, they seem to have problems with the airbag sensor from what I heard, take a look at it. The car is from Fiat also...

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
wouldnt this make getting replacement parts a bit of a challenge?
Surely harder than a corolla... But for the rest not so much.

Old
05-12-2013, 04:41 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Surely harder than a corolla... But for the rest not so much.
I'm not sure I follow.

Corolla? the rest?

Old
05-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
I'm not sure I follow.

Corolla? the rest?
Don't be tempted with a Suzuki, they are of lower quality that you would have become accustomed to with your Honda. OEM parts supply is short and you will pay through the nose at a wrecker.

If you want to go away from Honda/Toyota for cost reasons, consider the Korean car makers. Elantra is nice at that price point.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Le CH

Looking at buying a compact SUV in the near future but there really isn't anything interesting out right now... every manufacturer seems to be making similar vehicles with low ground clearance. Range Rover Evoque looks pretty amazing and has good clearance but I'm worried about RR reliability issues.

Anyone have any experience/advice about the Range Rover brand?

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:37 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
Looking at buying a compact SUV in the near future but there really isn't anything interesting out right now... every manufacturer seems to be making similar vehicles with low ground clearance. Range Rover Evoque looks pretty amazing and has good clearance but I'm worried about RR reliability issues.

I think this has been covered to some degree previously.

Comments vary but there is some belief that if you can afford certain brands and are attracted to it, the reliability is a moot point.

Make no mistake Land Rover is **** from reliability standpoint. And check their service menus , you will need to sell organs just to pay for routine maintenance like brakes.

A buddy of mine, a millionaire, had an early 2000's Land Rover. It was a money pit and admittedly the worst purchase of his life. There's been press that the company has improved, but you'd have to take a chance to find out.

But if you can afford the vehicle I assume you can fork out $2K for some maintenance items every year and worry about the reliability problems as they surface.

I can't live that way, so I have Lexus in the garage. More conservative styling, bulletproof from reliability standpoint.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:44 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:

Audi Q5 could be a good option. I heard good reviews about it and they seem to be selling pretty well.

If you don't need luxury and just want a reliable compact SUV, just go with the new RAV4.

But if you can afford an Evoque, just go with it! YOLO. That car is a beaut.

Rosso Scuderia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:30 AM
coolasprICE

Ok, so I've never owned a Toyota and I want to test drive some. I don't want anything too bling and I don't want to deal with issues... so Toyota is top on my list since i have hondas since forever.

I hate, hate, hate dealing with salesman but whatever, I guess I have no choice if I want to test drive.

If anyone knows a really good toyota dealer or tips please share.

Is it really true to get the best deal on a used car is to buy it from a competitor dealer since they want to get rid of the car faster?

Would a toyota be cheaper say at a mazda dealer than it would be at a toyota?

Old
05-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Ok, so I've never owned a Toyota and I want to test drive some. I don't want anything too bling and I don't want to deal with issues... so Toyota is top on my list since i have hondas since forever.

I hate, hate, hate dealing with salesman but whatever, I guess I have no choice if I want to test drive.

If anyone knows a really good toyota dealer or tips please share.

Is it really true to get the best deal on a used car is to buy it from a competitor dealer since they want to get rid of the car faster?

Would a toyota be cheaper say at a mazda dealer than it would be at a toyota?
Just my .02, find a reputable Toyota or Lexus dealership and work with them on a price, using the blackbook and autotrader values to make your case. Toyota/Lexus is very much service focused, that's where they make their money. They want a relationship not to screw you on a vehicle. I also feel very comfortable with a Toyota/Lexus certification, they do rigorous checks before sales.

I am in GTA so my dealership recommendations would be useless to you.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:53 AM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Thanks for the review! In your opinion is the 2013 Focus significantly better than the 2011 to put it over the Mazda 3 or do you think for all years this is true (you said trending towards better essentially, so I'm willing to buy new if the '13 really is that much better).
I think the Focus is on a different level than the Mazda 3. The 3 is a great car, no loser here, but the Ford has , in my opinion, better feel and less torque steer plus the interior is much nicer in the Ford.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:55 AM
coladin

Quote:
I also hear fords are rebounding well.. but I just have this "american" label I can't get rid of.

Honestly I wish my Civic beater was giving me issues. Car never has an issue. Those cars go 300K and I`m at 128 (Bought off old couple). Just getting a bit rusted up, and I hate to admit it, I feel like a bit of a tool next to someone at the red light who is driving a nicer car (which is not hard, most cars are newer).

I guess I`m giving into the social pressures of materialism.... But I know that driving a nice car is a good feeling too, so maybe I should just consider it as an expense to spoil myself.
New ones, especially Focus and Fiesta are World Cars, basically European design and engineering.

Old
05-13-2013, 11:04 AM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
Hey guys,

I am currently looking to buy a sports car and I don't know what to choose between the m3, c63 amg, and audi s4. Which one do you think is better and why?
I have driven them all and they are all incredible cars that you can drive your kids to hockey or soccer in as well.

The M3 is really nice, excellent V8 and it is not a very flashy car. I don't think it is available anymore, or in the new model as of yet. BMWs have taken a lot of heat lately in comparos, especially the 5 and the 7 as many feel they have lost their way a bit.

I just drove an S4 and it is a great car for the cash. Sounds real nice, Supercharged V6 and excellent interior for 58K. It is not as fast and really isn't in the league as the M3 and C63. The RS4 is.

I went with a C63. Have had it for two years and stoplight to stoplight nothing will touch it. I know that BMWs are great on the track and will beat a C63, but on the road, it ain't happening...Handles real nice and the interior is well built. Be prepared to replace the rear tires every 7 or 8K, other than that it is a pig on gas, and I don't care! It makes me giggle every day. And that to me is what a car should do, connect with your emotions because any thing can get you from Point A to Point B, but these cars are all about emotions.

I am getting the last beast of them, the 2014 will be the last year with the 6.2 V8. The turbos are nice and getter on gas but for pure thrills nothing sounds like an AMG V8!

Old
05-13-2013, 11:05 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
New ones, especially Focus and Fiesta are World Cars, basically European design and engineering.
really eh. hmm.

think will visit ford dealer.

Old
05-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
I have driven them all and they are all incredible cars that you can drive your kids to hockey or soccer in as well.

The M3 is really nice, excellent V8 and it is not a very flashy car. I don't think it is available anymore, or in the new model as of yet. BMWs have taken a lot of heat lately in comparos, especially the 5 and the 7 as many feel they have lost their way a bit.

I just drove an S4 and it is a great car for the cash. Sounds real nice, Supercharged V6 and excellent interior for 58K. It is not as fast and really isn't in the league as the M3 and C63. The RS4 is.

I went with a C63. Have had it for two years and stoplight to stoplight nothing will touch it. I know that BMWs are great on the track and will beat a C63, but on the road, it ain't happening...Handles real nice and the interior is well built. Be prepared to replace the rear tires every 7 or 8K, other than that it is a pig on gas, and I don't care! It makes me giggle every day. And that to me is what a car should do, connect with your emotions because any thing can get you from Point A to Point B, but these cars are all about emotions.

I am getting the last beast of them, the 2014 will be the last year with the 6.2 V8. The turbos are nice and getter on gas but for pure thrills nothing sounds like an AMG V8!

The track point is wrong... The M is certainly ''easier'' to track, but the c63 has a lot more potential. I've raced quite a few M's over the year... They're fun, for sure but the C is a different beast!!!! The s4 is not even comparable, more of a flashy car. (Albeit I'd still own one )

Old
05-13-2013, 12:20 PM
coladin

Quote:

I love British cars but twice I left them at the altar. I wanted an LR3, instead I went with Volvo XC90. I wanted the Jaguar XFR, still do, but twice I drove two separate models and twice there was something wrong with them electrically. They have come a long way but the reputation is well deserved, even though unfair as of the cars of today.

I like the Q5, XC60 and GLK.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:26 PM
coladin

Quote:
The track point is wrong... The M is certainly ''easier'' to track, but the c63 has a lot more potential. I've raced quite a few M's over the year... They're fun, for sure but the C is a different beast!!!! The s4 is not even comparable, more of a flashy car. (Albeit I'd still own one )
Well, the C63 has a lot of oversteer and that has to do with the colossal torque that the engine has. On a 1m40 lap a C63 will probably lap 1.5sec slower with the same driver. In the hands of joe driver, anyone who knows how to track will be way ahead.

I have been to a few AMG Academy events at Calabogie Motorsports Park and at Circuit Mt. Tremblant and the insutructors know how to get the most out of these cars. Most people when asked after the event which car they preferred on the track, many said the C63 even over the SLS AMG, it is a fun , nimble car.

Adamcrazy3, I am pretty confident that if you test drive a C63, you will fall in love with it the first time you pin it!

Old
05-13-2013, 12:35 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
What potential are you talking about? Stock for stock, the M3 absolutely ***** the
C63, and if you want to talk potential, throw a stage 3 Dinan Package and a 4.10 rear diff and there's nothing you can do to the C63 for it to keep up. Now is the C63 nicer as far as looks, perhaps, does it sound better for sure. If you have honestly raced M series before you would know that stock for stock there isnt much out there that touches BMW. BMW M cars is the benchmark for other manufacturers to follow, and that's exactly what they do is follow. Every year I go to the Tremblant race track and every manufacturer sends a couple cars and I can tell you nobody as the total package like BMW, sure some may look a little better, sound a little better, maybe brake a little better or have a little more power, but none of them have the total package like BMW M series cars. You said yourself the M is easier to track, have you never wondered why, that's where your answer lies my friend.

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:46 PM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46330ivs View Post
What potential are you talking about? Stock for stock, the M3 absolutely ***** the
C63, and if you want to talk potential, throw a stage 3 Dinan Package and a 4.10 rear diff and there's nothing you can do to the C63 for it to keep up. Now is the C63 nicer as far as looks, perhaps, does it sound better for sure. If you have honestly raced M series before you would know that stock for stock there isnt much out there that touches BMW. BMW M cars is the benchmark for other manufacturers to follow, and that's exactly what they do is follow. Every year I go to the Tremblant race track and every manufacturer sends a couple cars and I can tell you nobody as the total package like BMW, sure some may look a little better, sound a little better, maybe brake a little better or have a little more power, but none of them have the total package like BMW M series cars. You said yourself the M is easier to track, have you never wondered why, that's where your answer lies my friend.
On a racetrack, you are correct. Stock to stock.

But people live on the street and the C63, stock to stock, will be walking away from an M3.

YOu have a very nice BMW, are you getting another M3?

Old
05-13-2013, 12:51 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
On a racetrack, you are correct. Stock to stock.

But people live on the street and the C63, stock to stock, will be walking away from an M3.

YOu have a very nice BMW, are you getting another M3?
I have someone coming by to check it out later this week, Im looking at an M5 2010'ish, I have owned 3 M3's over the years and have always wanted an M5, go to youtube and listen to an E60 M5 with Eisenmann full race exhaust if you want to fall in love with a sound, just about the closest thing to an F1 car. Your right though the average joe may like the C63 better.

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:58 PM
coolasprICE

Day 1: I remember why I dred the "car salesman"

Look, this isn't to disrespect those who sell cars for a living.

But holy **** man some of your co-workers are the biggest tools.

I did a google search on toyota dealerships and the one on Rachel street seemed to have many positive reviews. So I picked it, thinking maybe I'll get some helpful advice and a few test drives out of it... Who knows, a deal too good to miss out on?

So I walk in and was greeted by a salesman.

Salesman: "Bonjour. Oh. Hello! What are you looking for?"

Me: Bonjour. Hi. Well, I never owned a Toyota, but I'm leaning towards either a used Matrix or Rav4.

Salesman: "Ok, have you seen any on our website that you like? which used Matrix or Rav4?"

Me: "No. I just know they are good cars, and wanted to see them in person. Was hoping just to browse around the showroom. Like I said, I'm just looking and never even driven one before." (hinting for a test drive)

Salesman: " well, you see, there are many type of options. We have many different Matrix's and Rav4's. Look over there, on that roof, (building across the street) we have some on top of there. We got a few upstairs in this building. Over there, underneath, left, right etc.. we have so so many etc.."

Me: "Ok then, well maybe since this is a city location I'd be better off going to a dealership in the burbs where there's a main showroom and a bit less complicated.

Salesman: "Bla bla bla , bla bla bla" (At this point i was ready to Chara him)

Me: OKAY. This seems very complicated. I just WANTED TO SEE THEM IN A SHOWROOM. I WILL GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Salesman: "Wait right here I'm going to have someone help you."

(I'm like WTF? Who is this tool!? "

Salesman 2: Hello bla bla je suis Jonathan bla bla Oh u anglophone! lolz!!!

Me: Ok, hi Jonathan, looks a bit complicated here bla bla

Salesman 2: Well come up stairs with me, sit in this car here, sit in this car dere

Me: Oookkay, are these used?

Salesman: No, that is all 2013..but Matrix 2013 same as before!

Me: Yes, Matrix seems nice..

Salesman: Come to my computer, we look for more!

So basically, I went to this dealership looking for used car and instead I sit in new cars, didn't even get to sniff a used car, and then surfed the companies website with the salesman as if I don't have my own computer at home!

Salesman: "Look, we have Rav4. 60KM for 18,000$ .. dat's a good deal my friend!

Moral of the story: my 1st day shopping was a bit annoying and a complete fail.

However I won't lie, I did learn a few things from the 2nd rep.

1. If you finance, you can negotiate the price more than if you pay with cash. And once you get the finance price, you can then pay it off in cash at any point. There might be a few catches in this strategy that I'm missing. But when i proposed this idea to the sales agent, he gave me a Patrick Roy wink and said " I did exactly that this morning".

2. Call in advance and make sure there are cars available to test drive. Oh ya, and make sure they have a normal used car showroom for you to browse.

3. Once you figure out what you want, just keep going to autotrader or car makers website for the deal your looking for. The days of finding a car in the showroom are over, unless it's new arrival and not listed online yet. I should have known better*.

Last edited by coolasprICE: 05-13-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old
05-13-2013, 07:37 PM
coladin

Quote:
I have someone coming by to check it out later this week, Im looking at an M5 2010'ish, I have owned 3 M3's over the years and have always wanted an M5, go to youtube and listen to an E60 M5 with Eisenmann full race exhaust if you want to fall in love with a sound, just about the closest thing to an F1 car. Your right though the average joe may like the C63 better.
I've spent many hours listening to Eisenmann exhaust vids! Have you listened to Kreissing exhausts? Awesome! The V10 M5 sounds so much better than the new embarrassing V8 M5...even though it is a monster!

Old
05-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Typical M-power fanboy

I'm not hating on M cars, they're wonderful... But the C63 in the hand of a pro, is faster. (Albeit, it's really close.)

Another one in this category is the Cts-V.

Really when it comes down to it is what you really want... Which one do you think looks better? Fits your pocket the best...

Personally, I'd go with a real weekend car, but this is a nice daily driver...

Old
05-13-2013, 11:37 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:

Nice! The growling sound of your car is just orgasmic.

Rosso Scuderia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:45 PM
coolasprICE

ok, so this is becoming like my car shopping blog lol

anyways

tomorrow is a day off for me, and I really want to get behind the wheel of a subaru.

The more I think about it, the more I realize a subaru can be the perfect of winter practical, sporty and not too big, at decent price.

Impreza? Legacy? outback? forester? (by the pictures, leaning more on impreza and legacy)

I've upped my budget so it's getting to be a bit more fun.