HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Your new coach: Guy Boucher?

Old
05-12-2013, 03:27 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
We could do WAY worse than Guy Boucher, people make way to big of a deal out of 1-3-1, I've watched quite a bit of TBL hockey, and they were a fun team to watch under him. It's not like they sit back in that formation the whole game, its only one system that they use when its called for. I think the whole thing with Philly was when it was blown way out of proportion by people who never actually watch them.

S3rkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:47 PM
CobraAcesS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
Woody Paige argues again for Gwozdecky.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_2...hen-hire-coach
One interesting (Somewhat New) thing that came out of Woody's conversation with Sakic, is that he wants a teacher.

How much of the requirements does Boucher meet?

Passionate, check

Quote:
Boucher is a player's coach. Earning an advanced degree in sports psychology gives him insight other coaches lack. He understands what makes athletes tick, and he can figure out the best way to approach them, not as a cog in the machine, but as a person. From Raw Charge:

"My approach is based on the individual," Boucher said. "So whether you're talking about 17 or 18-year-olds or 30 or 35-year-olds, players want to improve, they want to win and ultimately you find the same problems and strengths in each individual. It's the same starting point, so I didn't need to adapt my approach too much."

A big part of his approach is based on communication.

"He listens to all his players, regardless of their status," said Canadiens prospect Gabriel Dumont, who played under Boucher in both junior and briefly . . . in Hamilton. "He knows each player and knows how he needs to manage each player."

Boucher is not just interested in the physical skills of a player. He realizes there's a mental aspect to playing and, especially, winning. From the Tampa Tribune (via Puck Daddy):

"One leg is the physical part. Everybody is great at that because they all have personal trainers now. You've got the technical part, shooting this way or skating that way. You've got the tactical part, the team tactics and systems. Coaches spend all their time on that," he said.

"Then the other leg that's missing is the mental part of the game. We all say it's the most important part of the game, but what are the tools?"

At every level, people have said Boucher knows how to get the most out of his players. This was certainly true of the Lightning in the 2010-2011 season. Boucher found a way to get his players to perform and to use what he had the best way he could. He recognized that the team had less-than-stellar goaltending and made adjustments to the way he ran the team. In particular...

http://www.milehighhockey.com/2013/5...valanche-coach
I think that speaks to the Teacher part, check

Experience, check (I'm on the fence on this, but he does have 'experience' at the NHL level.)

Can be hired before the draft, check

"will lead" the young players, check

Like it or not Boucher fits all the requirements to a T, the question left is what happened with Tampa? That team didn't exactly turn it around effort wise after he left either. Which speaks to him not being the issue when it comes to effort from the team.

If his message was stale and not well liked, then you would think 'effort' would be something you could see immediately. Even if the team wasn't able to win consistently because of a need to learn new systems or whatever. There were at least two blogs I seen written that spoke to a lack of team effort after the coaching change was made.

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 05-12-2013 at 03:58 PM.
CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 04:01 PM
MikeC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Wouldn't be my first choice, but he's better than many of the candidates.
He was the best junior coach when he was in Drummondville. This guy would be a mega-plus on our team.

With him, you need to work hard and he is a conditionning freak.

There is another rumour in Quebec City that Pat Roy wants the job. Technically speaking, Boucher is better than Roy but Roy as an head coach and Boucher as his assistant = We make the playoff next year.

MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Hans Landaskog

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
He was the best junior coach when he was in Drummondville. This guy would be a mega-plus on our team.

There is another rumour in Quebec City that Pat Roy wants the job. Technically speaking, Boucher is better than Roy but Roy as an head coach and Boucher as his assistant = We make the playoff next year.

I'd be happy with that combo. But didn't Roy criticize Guy Boucher?

Also, is the scar on his face from a snow blower or golf cart?

edit: here's the link http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-282500

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 04:30 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post

This would never happen IMO, but it's an interesting thought.

Their is bad blood between them, and Boucher being an assistant to Roy who has no NHL coaching experience would probably turn him away from the job.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Serenity19
Keep Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Like it or not Boucher fits all the requirements to a T, the question left is what happened with Tampa? That team didn't exactly turn it around effort wise after he left either. Which speaks to him not being the issue when it comes to effort from the team.

If his message was stale and not well liked, then you would think 'effort' would be something you could see immediately. Even if the team wasn't able to win consistently because of a need to learn new systems or whatever. There were at least two blogs I seen written that spoke to a lack of team effort after the coaching change was made.
Systems and effort are intertwined. A good system allows for success with less effort, and a poor system can make the players look really bad even though they are playing hard. I tell my players to picture an Olympic rowing team. Everyone's effort is maximized because they are rowing in unison. To the casual observer, it looks effortless. On the other hand, if you just throw a bunch of guys into a boat and have them row as hard as they can without any synchronization, the boat isn't going to go anywhere very fast because everyone is just paddling at their own pace and essentially fighting each others effort. A good system puts players in the best position so succeed with the least amount of effort.

Which brings us to what happened in Tampa. Prior to the infamous Philly game, the Bolts had a good system in place. After that game, supposedly Yzerman was furious and ordered Boucher to change it. Boucher was forced to tweak his system and tried a bunch of different things up until the point he was fired. Most of the things he tried were unsuccessful and systems-wise, was kind of a mess at the point he was fired.

When interviewed, Yzerman used "philosophical differences" as the reason for Boucher's firing. He mentioned that they didn't share the same beliefs as to how the game should be played. When Cooper was hired, he said he basically wants to implement the Red Wings system, but implied that there wasn't enough time left in the season to do so. For the most part, he left Boucher's tweaked system in place. The players played hard for a while after the coaching change, but it didn't really matter. That system didn't put them in a position to succeed so some of them started to slack a little. For the most part though, they were playing as reasonably hard as can be expected, but it looked bad.

As an example of what I am talking about, recall the 1997 series vs. the Red Wings. Bowman had Crawford's system figured out and Crawford refused to adjust. Everyone, including the coaching staff, was saying the Avs weren't playing hard enough, but they were playing as hard as they could. It was the system that made them look bad.

Last edited by Serenity19: 05-12-2013 at 05:03 PM. Reason: bad grammar
Serenity19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
I'd be happy with that combo. But didn't Roy criticize Guy Boucher?

Also, is the scar on his face from a snow blower or golf cart?

edit: here's the link http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-282500
Roy took it back. I don't he actually apologized because it's Roy but he did go on to compliment Boucher in an interview he did later on.

I doubt Boucher would want to be an assistant coach though.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Roy took it back. I don't he actually apologized because it's Roy but he did go on to compliment Boucher in an interview he did later on.

I doubt Boucher would want to be an assistant coach though.
I don't think Roy would either. Doubt that combo is in the cards. I'd say Boucher is more likely to be the next coach than Roy, though.

Old
05-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

One more good thing about Boucher would be that if they let him pick his assistants, Foote probably won't be one of them.

I think Roy would bring Foote in for sure.

Old
05-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
One more good thing about Boucher would be that if they let him pick his assistants, Foote probably won't be one of them.

I think Roy would bring Foote in for sure.
I doubt it.

Old
05-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
I doubt it.
It has been speculated by Friedman. Foote was also one of Roy's best friends on the team. I see it happening if Foote wants the job.

Old
05-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Hans Landaskog

Last I heard his go to guys were Ray Bourque and Claude Lemieux.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:42 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Last I heard his go to guys were Ray Bourque and Claude Lemieux.
Lemieux became a player agent and is now the North American president of this company: http://www.4sportshockey.com/4sports/index.php/en/

He has no coaching experience...he could be interested but I'd be surprised.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 07:20 AM
El_Loco_Avs

The more I learn about Boucher the more I like him.

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:22 AM
avsfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs View Post
The more I learn about Boucher the more I like him.
same, it kind of makes me want him over roy, even though I'd love Roy.

avsfan89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Veritas0Aequitas

Guy Boucher isn't a bad coach by any means but I'd like to see someone like Dallas Eakins get a real shot too. Look at how well he's developed the players in Toronto and he's a winner.

That being said, we could do a LOT worse than Guy.

Veritas0Aequitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Is his name pronounced "Guy" or is it "Ghee"? Is he a Frenchy?

05-13-2013, 11:08 AM
hawk30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas0Aequitas View Post
Guy Boucher isn't a bad coach by any means but I'd like to see someone like Dallas Eakins get a real shot too. Look at how well he's developed the players in Toronto and he's a winner.

That being said, we could do a LOT worse than Guy.
My feelings as well.

hawk30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
He's from Q.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:16 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Frenchy pronunciation.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
I have always pronounced the name "Ghee".
Never even knew you could pronounce it like "Guy".

Nzap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Foppa Frossa

I assumed Ghee.

Also, Dater's podcast really annoyed me when he and Jibblescribbits kept saying "Druin" (like druid) </rant>

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:28 AM
EdAVSfan

I know most people dont like Pierre McGuire because of the way he speaks, but the guy is incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to hockey.

When Boucher was close to being fired, he mentioned that part of the reason he would get fired was because they definitely didnt want to lose out on Cooper.

He also went on to say that if he had become a GM, Guy Boucher would be his first call as candidate for a coaching position.

He says his communication and understanding of hockey and how to teach it are incredibly good.

Take it for what its worth. Id be ecstatic to have Boucher as coach.

Hes a tough coach who demands work, but hes got hockey smarts to back up his strategies. But hes also good with young guys and has great communication skills. Hes a balanced coach.

Either way, no matter who we get, we're gonna have some problem with whoever it is. Unless we get someone a la Babcock, we're not getting a Stanley cup coach, whos current with the NHL.

EdAVSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
I know most people dont like Pierre McGuire because of the way he speaks, but the guy is incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to hockey.

When Boucher was close to being fired, he mentioned that part of the reason he would get fired was because they definitely didnt want to lose out on Cooper.

He also went on to say that if he had become a GM, Guy Boucher would be his first call as candidate for a coaching position.

He says his communication and understanding of hockey and how to teach it are incredibly good.

Take it for what its worth. Id be ecstatic to have Boucher as coach.

Hes a tough coach who demands work, but hes got hockey smarts to back up his strategies. But hes also good with young guys and has great communication skills. Hes a balanced coach.

Either way, no matter who we get, we're gonna have some problem with whoever it is. Unless we get someone a la Babcock, we're not getting a Stanley cup coach, whos current with the NHL.

McGuire likes him? I don't want him anymore...

Old
05-13-2013, 11:54 AM
davalanche96

Anywhere Roy goes for coaching in NHL, Benoit Groulx will be his Assistant coach...
And Groulx is a incredible...

Gatineau Olympique coach...

davalanche96 is offline   Reply With Quote