HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

WC: Oilers at the World Championships

Old
05-12-2013, 11:34 AM
40oz

vCash: 500

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:51 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
It's very simple: as an NHL goalie you drop down to your knees every time the puck is directed at the net with your stick on the ice.

If you don't do this it's because you aren't paying nearly enough attention to the game and/or you're lazy.

Every goal that goes in along the ice that isn't immediately following a cross ice pass is his fault.

I love how many of the same guys who will jump all over Eberle for missing the top corner on an open look will go to the ends of the earth to defend Dubnyk when he spaces out during games.
So he gets criticized by his detractors a lot for going down too early and too often, every time the puck is coming at the net. He gets criticized for getting beat top shelf like the two other goals in the same Detroit game as Petry's own goal, both were roof jobs. No matter what he does you will say its a bad goal. That was a cross ice shot/pass play, yet you still say it is his fault and is weak???

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:19 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
So he gets criticized by his detractors a lot for going down too early and too often, every time the puck is coming at the net. He gets criticized for getting beat top shelf like the two other goals in the same Detroit game as Petry's own goal, both were roof jobs. No matter what he does you will say its a bad goal. That was a cross ice shot/pass play, yet you still say it is his fault and is weak???
I never criticized him for Petry's own goal. I also would never criticize a goaltender for going down too early. There really is no such thing anymore.

People who criticize him for going down too early are living in the eighties.

He's not a good goaltender. He could be if he somehow learns to compete for 60 minutes without spacing out but, at this point, I doubt that will ever happen.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:21 PM
frag2

Is it me or is Duchene a very selfish player...I mean very? Nothing against his talent but man, he seems to think he IS the one man show with the puck.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Is it me or is Duchene a very selfish player...I mean very? Nothing against his talent but man, he seems to think he IS the one man show with the puck.
Probably because he's playings with legit talent for the first time this year.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:42 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Probably because he's playings with legit talent for the first time this year.
I don't think that absolves him from being selfish though...just wondering maybe that's why Hall and Eberle are kind of "quiet"

Old
05-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I never criticized him for Petry's own goal. I also would never criticize a goaltender for going down too early. There really is no such thing anymore.

He's not a good goaltender. He could be if he somehow learns to compete for 60 minutes without spacing out but, at this point, I doubt that will ever happen.
You need to watch a real goalie like Quick more. Its possible to go down, and still have some modicum of mobility, and still cover some top shelf. On close in chances against guys like Eberle Quick will be downlow but lean towards the shooter thereby reducing the angle at which the puck can be raised over him. Dubnyk, being an idiot, will go down and suck himself close into his net. Once Dubnyk is down he's like an immobile whale beached at low tide.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
You need to watch a real goalie like Quick more. Its possible to go down, and still have some modicum of mobility, and still cover some top shelf. On close in chances against guys like Eberle Quick will be downlow but lean towards the shooter thereby reducing the angle at which the puck can be raised over him. Dubnyk, being an idiot, will go down and suck himself close into his net. Once Dubnyk is down he's like an immobile whale beached at low tide.
What is the point in comparing Dubnyk to last years Conn Smythe winner and Vezina trophy runner-up.

Dubnyk is an idiot because he can't match a top 5 goalie in the league? Dubnyk in my opinion has performed well this season when you consider the garbage defense the Oilers have had in front of him. He plays behind a team that for his entire career has consistently being one of the worst in the league in shots for/against differential. Night in and night out he is under fire.

Dubnyk is not a superstar, he will never be mistaken for one, so comparing him to Quick seems silly. Of all the problems the Oilers have though, goaltending is not nearly the most pressing.

That immobile beached whale was 10th in the league in sv% this season among starting goaltenders. By calling Quick a real goalie does that suggest that Dubnyk is not one? Frankly, that is a joke.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 04:37 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:

A LOT of posters do rag on him for letting in goals top shelf, sorry to lump you into that category.

This was his first year as a starter. There are so many players on this club that have been full time starters for 6 seasons or more and they cant come to competing for 15-18 minutes a night consistently. He may not be a GOOD goaltender yet but he is easily average or above average. Many teams have put together great seasons and even won cups infront of goalies of his caliber. But those were great teams, the Oilers are a bad team, with crap veteran players, defensively incompetent young players, overmatched rookies, and every Dman is playing one pairing higher than he should be.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 04:54 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
As soon as he gets the puck the play is over. He either scores or the other team gets possession.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:03 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
When he starts playing the give and go more, he's going to pot more goals. Just look at the assists from Eberle.

AlowlyOilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:21 PM
zeus3007*

There was once a goalie who was drafted very late, partially because he played an awkward style that nobody thought would translate to the NHL.
He was never given a shot to start, losing the race to be starter out to a rookie future hall of famer. Two years later he was moved to another team for a career backup/minor leaguer. Two years later, he had become starter in place of another future hall of famer, won a Vezina trophy and was a finalist for the Hart Trophy. He went on to win a total of six Vezina trophies, 2 Hart trophies, 2 Lester B. Pearson trophies, and 2 Stanley cups while being considered one of the best goalies of all time. I hope you've figured out by now that this goalie was Dominik Hasek, a goalie criticized throughout the career for his unorthadox style. The only thing he really seemed to do well is keep the puck out of the net. For all of Dubnyk's supposed faults, he is pretty damned good at keeping the puck out of the net. Top 10 in the league this year according to his save percentage. You can criticize all you want, but we could be stuck with a lot worse goalies than Dubnyk.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:54 PM
missinthejets

Honestly Dubnyk kinda reminds me a bit of the way Roloson played. Able to make a lot of saves but sometimes one goes in that shouldn't. Didn't make him a bad goalie, just not an elite one.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:32 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
As soon as he gets the puck the play is over. He either scores or the other team gets possession.
That's what I sorta noticed. I didn't watch the entire game today but the limited time I did see it, Duchene, while talented, is way too selfish. I didn't really notice too much [probably because that line never got much ice time even in the past] but that sequence where Hall did the dirty work at the boards to the right of the goalie, sent the puck behind the net to Duchene and he kept trying to do the "Crosby on Spezza" gig all the while Eberle was open in the front slot was a facepalm moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
When he starts playing the give and go more, he's going to pot more goals. Just look at the assists from Eberle.
Problem is he doesn't. He, like Hall, is a puck carrier and while Hall has the mentality to make use of his team mates better, Duchene has no signs of ever doing that. Give him the puck, he'll do whatever he feels.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Maybe we should start a thread about how Duchene is making Ebs and Hall look terrible. Afterall, Duchene has always been an Oiler killer. His fingerprints are all over this. Where did that tinfoil hat go? It's in this thread somewhere.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:24 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
There was once a goalie who was drafted very late, partially because he played an awkward style that nobody thought would translate to the NHL.
He was never given a shot to start, losing the race to be starter out to a rookie future hall of famer. Two years later he was moved to another team for a career backup/minor leaguer. Two years later, he had become starter in place of another future hall of famer, won a Vezina trophy and was a finalist for the Hart Trophy. He went on to win a total of six Vezina trophies, 2 Hart trophies, 2 Lester B. Pearson trophies, and 2 Stanley cups while being considered one of the best goalies of all time. I hope you've figured out by now that this goalie was Dominik Hasek, a goalie criticized throughout the career for his unorthadox style. The only thing he really seemed to do well is keep the puck out of the net. For all of Dubnyk's supposed faults, he is pretty damned good at keeping the puck out of the net. Top 10 in the league this year according to his save percentage. You can criticize all you want, but we could be stuck with a lot worse goalies than Dubnyk.
Comparing Dubnyk to Hasek FML!! Hasek had some of if not the best reflexes ever for a goalie, Dubnyk has no reflexes and no athleticism the exact opposite of Hasek. I'd take a less technical goalie who can recover quickly over a technical goalie like Dubnyk who as soon as he's out of position is screwed.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:38 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Probably because everytime he passes to Hall or Eberle they just turn the puck over.

But I kind agree, he needs to use his teammates a little better. Disgusting hands on that kid though.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:33 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Comparing Dubnyk to Hasek FML!! Hasek had some of if not the best reflexes ever for a goalie, Dubnyk has no reflexes and no athleticism the exact opposite of Hasek. I'd take a less technical goalie who can recover quickly over a technical goalie like Dubnyk who as soon as he's out of position is screwed.
Hasek also took away the bottom of the net and really was the first to do so completely.

Today's goalies owe him a lot.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:50 AM
spot

Both oilers up front were invisible last game.
Personally I would love to see them play on a line with ROR.
I think Hall needs to get away from douch!

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:14 AM
gqmixmaster

I don't like dubnyk's stance in the butterfly, he doesn't look big in terms of his coverage of the net, especially given his size. I also don't like his mobility and his ability to handle loose pucks in his crease. All related to his technique which I think he can improve upon, but will he?

We need a second goalie with promise to challenge Dubnyk.

I would love if the Oilers were able to snag Halak.

gqmixmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:22 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Both oilers up front were invisible last game.
Personally I would love to see them play on a line with ROR.
I think Hall needs to get away from douch!
It's true. Duchene's style clashes with Hall but Ruff seemingly doesn't realize that.

Coupled with the fact Duchene NEVER passes, it's hard for the Oilers duo to "show up"

Old
05-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
What is the point in comparing Dubnyk to last years Conn Smythe winner and Vezina trophy runner-up.

Dubnyk is an idiot because he can't match a top 5 goalie in the league? Dubnyk in my opinion has performed well this season when you consider the garbage defense the Oilers have had in front of him. He plays behind a team that for his entire career has consistently being one of the worst in the league in shots for/against differential. Night in and night out he is under fire.

Dubnyk is not a superstar, he will never be mistaken for one, so comparing him to Quick seems silly. Of all the problems the Oilers have though, goaltending is not nearly the most pressing.

That immobile beached whale was 10th in the league in sv% this season among starting goaltenders. By calling Quick a real goalie does that suggest that Dubnyk is not one? Frankly, that is a joke.
Dubnyk is an idiot because he's 6ft 5 and somehow can't cover the top of the net because he inexplicably goes in a crouch and makes himself small thus leaving top of net open. I've never seen a goalie this tall, and with so much physical advantage, have this much difficulty covering top of net. overall one would expect him to cover so much more net giving his size, reach, etc.

People can hang onto the save % like it means much. I tend to think that its an artifact of the Oilers usually losing games and teams not having to bear down on us all that much. As in how many goals do you need to beat us.

Factor as well that Dubnyk sees teams like Columbus, Calgary, Vancouver, Colorado, Minny a lot. Not exactly gun slinging clubs.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:28 AM
spot

Quote:
It's true. Duchene's style clashes with Hall but Ruff seemingly doesn't realize that.

Coupled with the fact Duchene NEVER passes, it's hard for the Oilers duo to "show up"
Absolutely! If you watch Hall he is not gaining the zone with any speed. To unpredictable trying to figure out how many guys MD is gonna try to skate through. Hall needs to assert himself as the puck carrier. IMO.

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:29 AM
McNutty780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Dubnyk is an idiot because he's 6ft 5 and somehow can't cover the top of the net because he inexplicably goes in a crouch and makes himself small thus leaving top of net open. I've never seen a goalie this tall, and with so much physical advantage, have this much difficulty covering top of net. overall one would expect him to cover so much more net giving his size, reach, etc.

People can hang onto the save % like it means much. I tend to think that its an artifact of the Oilers usually losing games and teams not having to bear down on us all that much. As in how many goals do you need to beat us.

Factor as well that Dubnyk sees teams like Columbus, Calgary, Vancouver, Colorado, Minny a lot. Not exactly gun slinging clubs.
Good point about playing small

No way you'd know the dude was 6'5

McNutty780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:33 PM
DarkSaturn

Dubnyk's biggest weakness is against a quick shot coming off a lateral pass, if he has a chance to setup and play the angles he's rock solid, but he lags when he has to move side to side, can't move laterally and setup in time to make the save. Not sure how much impact the wide ice has on shot location, but it probably doesn't play to Dubnyk's favour.

DarkSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote