HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL

Drouin or MacKinnon?

Old
05-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Barney Stinson76

vCash: 500
Drouin or MacKinnon?

who you guys think would put up better numbers at NHL level?
Iīm living in Europe and didnīt have the chance to see them play
and now I have the chance to pick first overall in a fantasy league and canīt decide between them
The league is based only scoring so please help me out
thanks

Barney Stinson76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Barney Stinson76

nobody can tell me?

Barney Stinson76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Honestly, I have no idea what the answer would be... They both play two different styles of hockey, and it's difficult to guess at who'll get more points from it.

If I have to pick who I think will get more points, I'd go with Drouin simply because he's the more offensively talented player.

Kurdt Kobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 944
It will depend on who they get to play with and which team they play for.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:09 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I think Drouin will be the better player and he will get more points.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

I think Mackinnon will be the better player but Drouin will have more points

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Cut and Dry Sports
@TA_Stephenson

Gun to my head, Nate.

My reasoning is this. I think Drouin is going to have trouble scoring at the NHL level at first. Not because of his size, but rather because of his all around goal scoring ability. He has a very solid shot, but not a great NHL shooter yet IMO. Dangles with the best of them, but I think he's going to be dishing the puck a ton and racking up assists. Especially if he's playing with Stamkos in Tampa.

Nate on the other hand, will go to dirty areas a bit more and I think it'll result in him scoring more around the net, his shot is better the Drouin's as well.

Put it this way, when they hit their primes in 5 years, I would expect numbers like this.

Nate - 40 goals - 45 assists
Jo - 25 goals - 55 assists

Such a tough thing to predict, but I'd expect it to shake out a bit like that down the road. Both are going to be successful pro's, the kids just have to much drive not to succeed.

Cut and Dry Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 04:12 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut and Dry Sports View Post
Gun to my head, Nate.

My reasoning is this. I think Drouin is going to have trouble scoring at the NHL level at first. Not because of his size, but rather because of his all around goal scoring ability. He has a very solid shot, but not a great NHL shooter yet IMO. Dangles with the best of them, but I think he's going to be dishing the puck a ton and racking up assists. Especially if he's playing with Stamkos in Tampa.

Nate on the other hand, will go to dirty areas a bit more and I think it'll result in him scoring more around the net, his shot is better the Drouin's as well.

Put it this way, when they hit their primes in 5 years, I would expect numbers like this.

Nate - 40 goals - 45 assists
Jo - 25 goals - 55 assists

Such a tough thing to predict, but I'd expect it to shake out a bit like that down the road. Both are going to be successful pro's, the kids just have to much drive not to succeed.
I think they'll be 100+ points in their primes. They'll never stop working hard.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Cut and Dry Sports
@TA_Stephenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I think they'll be 100+ points in their primes. They'll never stop working hard.
Well, they may get there. The potential is there. But even when you look at guys like Stamkos and Kane who are both approaching those prime years, have still yet to have 100 point seasons. That's tough to do in today's NHL. I don't know that I'm comfortable enough yet to say that they will both be top 5 or 8 players in the NHL. Which is where they'd need to be if they're putting up 100 points in a year.

Hope you're right though.

Cut and Dry Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:37 PM
mapes

Drouin is likely a future line mate with Stamkos and St Louis (who is probably closing in on retirement but still). So I'd choose him in a fantasy league.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 06:35 AM
KingKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I doubt that, 100 plus points seem to be a rarity recently and I don't see Nate being purely offensive enough or Jonathan's game transferring well enough to pull of seasons like that

KingKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
Mackinnon seems like more of a sure thing to me, as Drouins style of play might be tougher to bring to the NHL (Rob Shremp).

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Dgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Mandelbaum View Post
Mackinnon seems like more of a sure thing to me, as Drouins style of play might be tougher to bring to the NHL (Rob Shremp).
Schremp and Drouin are not really comparable aside from their hands and size. Schremp is a one dimensional player who relied on flashy plays. Big reasons why he never succeeded in the NHL.

Drouin has a solid all around game (not as solid as MacKinnon's) that will allow him to have a decent NHL career. Pair that with his sky rocketing hockey IQ and the guy has the chance to be an excellent NHL player.

Players Drouin has been mostly compared to are St. Louis, Patrick Kane, and Claude Girioux. All of which are top line players.

Dgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:55 PM
KingKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post
Schremp and Drouin are not really comparable aside from their hands and size. Schremp is a one dimensional player who relied on flashy plays. Big reasons why he never succeeded in the NHL.

Drouin has a solid all around game (not as solid as MacKinnon's) that will allow him to have a decent NHL career. Pair that with his sky rocketing hockey IQ and the guy has the chance to be an excellent NHL player.

Players Drouin has been mostly compared to are St. Louis, Patrick Kane, and Claude Girioux. All of which are top line players.
Ya Drouin is somewhat of a lesser Kane in playing style, skill and junior point production. I would compare Schremp more to Frk: big shot, slick hands, one way, and dumb penalties.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post

Although he does have the potential to have the skill set to be a Kane or St. Louis if he pans out, he could be comparable to them in the future. But, at this moment, Drouin reminds me a lot of Shremp. Although Drouin has a slight advantage on Shremps skating at this point, it's a similar situation. I obviously thing Drouin will be more successful than Shremp, but still compare them.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:46 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Mandelbaum View Post
People won't like that comparison because of the name lol. But there are similarities... Hands, size... Drouin has a lot more than Schremp did and I believe will have more NHL success than Schremp, but that also isn't saying much.

Drouin's all-around game, vision and numbers he put up are all well above Schremp's at the same age... Schremp put up 145 points but as a 19yo and went 25th overall. I'm sure Drouin will go higher ( ) and could do that at 18 even.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJQuack View Post
People won't like that comparison because of the name lol. But there are similarities... Hands, size... Drouin has a lot more than Schremp did and I believe will have more NHL success than Schremp, but that also isn't saying much.

Drouin's all-around game, vision and numbers he put up are all well above Schremp's at the same age... Schremp put up 145 points but as a 19yo and went 25th overall. I'm sure Drouin will go higher ( ) and could do that at 18 even.
It's almost as if people forget the numbers Shremp had in the CHL, aha.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:06 PM
KingKadri

Anyone think Drouin might be back with the moose next year? not really any point asking if Mackinnon will be

Old
05-13-2013, 03:08 PM
RJQuack

We can only hope.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:37 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
To be honest, Drouin scares me a little bit more.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:27 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
To be honest, Drouin scares me a little bit more.
In a good way (he could dominate) or a bad way (he could... go the Stefan route)..??

Kurdt Kobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:31 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKadri View Post
Anyone think Drouin might be back with the moose next year? not really any point asking if Mackinnon will be
I think if he's in the NHL, it stunts his growth as a player. He'll get tossed around like a rag doll.

I'd take MacKinnon 10 times out of 9....... 10 times out of 9. He does all the little things that a lot of fans don't notice/care about. Picking off passes, winning battles on the boards, basic positioning, his ability to change speeds with ease, etc.

I think a lot of people were too focused on Drouins hands and point production and didn't really look at the overall play of the two.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:11 AM
optimus2861

Drouin has obvious skill, but I think his game is just a bit too flashy at this point to translate into the NHL. Not unlike other highly-touted Q stars who get plastered when they try those moves on NHL defencemen. It will probably take him a little longer than Mac to put up the points in the big show, and he may even end up back with the Moose next year though I wouldn't give it better than 50/50 odds.

MacKinnon is all but gone. I'd be shocked if he ended up back here, as there's just nothing left for him to learn in the Q. Such a pity he's likely to end up in Florida; what a wasteland of an NHL team in which to start his career.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:52 AM
KingKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Drouin has obvious skill, but I think his game is just a bit too flashy at this point to translate into the NHL. Not unlike other highly-touted Q stars who get plastered when they try those moves on NHL defencemen. It will probably take him a little longer than Mac to put up the points in the big show, and he may even end up back with the Moose next year though I wouldn't give it better than 50/50 odds.

MacKinnon is all but gone. I'd be shocked if he ended up back here, as there's just nothing left for him to learn in the Q. Such a pity he's likely to end up in Florida; what a wasteland of an NHL team in which to start his career.
We will get to see a preview of that when he plays against Portland and London. I think he will still be an effective player but his points will drop dramatically

Old
05-14-2013, 06:32 PM
SympathyForTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post

This gets thrown around a lot, but the only player I can think of in the last 15 years that fits that description is PM Bouchard (and injuries had a lot to do with that). Historically, finesse forwards from the Q have had no problem translating their game to the NHL (at least, not any more than prospects from other leagues). It's the burlier, more physical players (Picard, Bourret, Bernier, Sheppard) that have had these problems.

SympathyForTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote