HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible role players for next season

Old
05-13-2013, 12:04 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
4th line centers in the playoffs. In all fairness for what Steckel brings he isn't a bad option.

Steckel 13 hits in 7 games
Campbell 15 hits in 6 games
Kruger 2 hits in 5 games
Emmerton 7 hits in 7 games
Hendricks 13 hits in 6 games
Fraser 12 hits in 5 games
Lapierre 12 hits in 4 games
Mitchell/Konpka 2 hits a game
White/Dumont 21 in 6 games
Mclement 11 in 6
Porter 25 in 6
Boyle 19 in 5
Pageau 5 in 5
Gomez 2 in 2
Vitale/Kennedy 4 in 4

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:07 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Matt Cullen is a guy I want badly. The guy is getting up there in age, but he knows how to win, and is a great two way player and could be an excellent 4th line center.

Another option is Max Lapierre. We need a pest like him.

Chuck Kobasew is a good option at 4th line, I wouldn't mind having him at all. Another former Flame, Eric Nystrom could be a decent 4th line option.

I also liked Rob Klinkhammer in the few viewings I have had of him. Not sure if I just watched a couple of good games though.

I wouldn't mind keeping Jonesy either. He has always played hard for us, and had an off year because of that eye injury, but I don't think he is part of the problem.

And hopefully we can bring in Mark Streit for the blueline. He's the only UFA d-man worth signing though.

Bottom six

Hall - Gagner - Eberle
Pajaarvi - RNH - Yakupov
Kobasew - Horcoff- Jones
Smyth - Cullen - Lapierre/Nystrom/Klinkhammer

Smid-Petry
J. Schultz - Streit
Klefbom-N. Schultz
Fistric

Dubnyk
Khudobin
Cullen isn't going to sign to be a 4th line center. He is still a #2 in some scenarios, but at the very least a very solid #3.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:08 PM
The Big Unit

vCash: 500
Quote:
That is true, I just think there are better options out there. Matt Cullen. Rob Klinkhammer. Maxim Lapierre.
Lapierre isn't a bad option; definitely the type of pest we're missing. Klinkhammer hasn't established himself as a legit NHLer yet imo (only 38 NHL games so far in 3 years for 3 teams) and Cullen is a guy I don't mind but I'd be a bit afraid of giving him any term on the contract due to his age.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:12 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Cullen isn't going to sign to be a 4th line center. He is still a #2 in some scenarios, but at the very least a very solid #3.
I'd prefer him on our third line, and to bump Horc to the 4th. I don't see him as a 2nd line center on any team going forward though. Keep Cullen on our 3rd line, 2nd pk unit and that should be where he fits in on most other teams. I don't know if he'd have much interest in coming here though.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:12 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
That is true, I just think there are better options out there. Matt Cullen. Rob Klinkhammer. Maxim Lapierre.
Klinkhammer is a winger.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:15 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I'd prefer him on our third line, and to bump Horc to the 4th. I don't see him as a 2nd line center on any team going forward though. Keep Cullen on our 3rd line, 2nd pk unit and that should be where he fits in on most other teams. I don't know if he'd have much interest in coming here though.
The guy isn't a 2nd liner in many, but given his 50+ point pace this year if it's all about the money I'm sure he can find himself some decent coin with a weaker team.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:18 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
The guy isn't a 2nd liner in many, but given his 50+ point pace this year if it's all about the money I'm sure he can find himself some decent coin with a weaker team.
The problem with Cullen is that he's not a long term option. He's 9 months younger than Ryan Smyth. Wouldn't it make more sense to get a guy who's going to stick around for a while?

Old
05-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
4th line centers in the playoffs. In all fairness for what Steckel brings he isn't a bad option.

Steckel 13 hits in 7 games
Campbell 15 hits in 6 games
Kruger 2 hits in 5 games
Emmerton 7 hits in 7 games
Hendricks 13 hits in 6 games
Fraser 12 hits in 5 games
Lapierre 12 hits in 4 games
Mitchell/Konpka 2 hits a game
White/Dumont 21 in 6 games
Mclement 11 in 6
Porter 25 in 6
Boyle 19 in 5
Pageau 5 in 5
Gomez 2 in 2
Vitale/Kennedy 4 in 4
We need to look at a lot more than hits to determine a player's worth to a team.

In the playoffs, the 6th place team(ANA) in hits lost out to the 4th last place team(Detroit)...There's a place for hits but too many times I see players going out of their way to 'finish a check' and forgetting the puck, which ends up as a shot or goal.
We need strong, 2-way players that can handle themselves in front of the net, win along the boards and protect their team mates occasionally.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:24 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
The problem with Cullen is that he's not a long term option. He's 9 months younger than Ryan Smyth. Wouldn't it make more sense to get a guy who's going to stick around for a while?
Yes and no. Generally speaking you should be able to change your 4th line center every year and it shouldn't matter. For someone reason in Edmonton it's an issue. However if I'm signing a 36 year old in Cullen it's not for the 4th line, but as a vet to bridge the gap until we can find someone better. Not every move has to be long-term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
We need to look at a lot more than hits to determine a player's worth to a team.

In the playoffs, the 6th place team(ANA) in hits lost out to the 4th last place team(Detroit)...There's a place for hits but too many times I see players going out of their way to 'finish a check' and forgetting the puck, which ends up as a shot or goal.
We need strong, 2-way players that can handle themselves in front of the net, win along the boards and protect their team mates occasionally.
The list for me more shows what you actually need to be a 4th liner in the playoffs. There isn't exactly a lot of glamour players in that list. Most of them are nothing more than 4th liners that can't play 3rd line. We spend too much time worrying about something that is so minor in the grand scheme of things. If you have a 4th liner that can play 10 minutes a night and bring two skills you should be happy.

Old
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Not much grit in Steckel`s game. He`s big, but not overly gritty or phyiscal. I`d be worried that he would be a larger version of Belanger.
He's big enough to give defenders fits below the faceoff circles, that isn't something that we have on this team, let alone in the bottom 6.

DarkSaturn

Based purely on awesome name factor, I vote for Cracknell, Klinkhammer, and Clutterbuck. Shattenkirk as well.

DarkSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Agreed, I'd sign him to be a 2/3C here and be rid of Horcoff altogether. Mainly as a 3C unless we deal Gagner, but a guy that can step into the top 6 if needed.

Quote:
2 years while hopefully this years 1st round pick gains experience and becomes ready for a 2C role would be my hope.

Quote:
Klinkhammer is a winger.
He's listed as a C but only took 2 draws this last season (he won them both). So I'm not sure if he has played C in the minors or not, but you are right at least when it comes to last season, good catch.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:33 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Klinkhammer is a winger.
He's played center as well. Not sure how effective he is at center though. If you look at my lines, I put him as a winger.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:36 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
I don't see why that's a negative. We sign him to an overpay at two years, and he'll consider it I'm sure. He may be 9 months younger than Smyth, but Smyth was slow even in his prime, Cullen was not. Smyth played a style that has caused his body to break down. Cullen did not. Cullen has always played smart hockey, those types of guys seem to last a few more years. He would be a good fix for now, and brings the veteran leadership that this team is lacking.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:38 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He's big enough to give defenders fits below the faceoff circles, that isn't something that we have on this team, let alone in the bottom 6.
Big enough, but considering how expendable he has been, I'm not sure if he actually uses his size at all.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:41 PM
DarkSaturn

Need to find this years Mike Peca. Looking back I thought he was older than 31 when the Oilers aquired him, guess the injury history added to that idea. Even then he was only average during the regular season, but was pretty key in the playoff run. Can't really fault the Belanger signing, seemed like the right move at the time, his history didn't exactly show his offensive game was gone.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:49 PM
dnicks17

Cullen would be kind of nice.

He could fill in at center until RNH is back and then shift down to the #3C or he could even slide over to the #2LW or #3LW.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:52 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSaturn View Post
Need to find this years Mike Peca. Looking back I thought he was older than 31 when the Oilers aquired him, guess the injury history added to that idea. Even then he was only average during the regular season, but was pretty key in the playoff run. Can't really fault the Belanger signing, seemed like the right move at the time, his history didn't exactly show his offensive game was gone.
This actually might be the perfect summer to "find this years Peca". There may be a Peca type guy available from a low budget team. Remember that Peca was considered overpaid at the time, and the reason we got him for peanuts was because the Isles were cutting salary. This summer, some teams need to cut salary, so getting a guy for pieces might be an option. I'm not sure what those pieces may be though.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:55 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Cullen would be kind of nice.

He could fill in at center until RNH is back and then shift down to the #3C or he could even slide over to the #2LW or #3LW.
That was my thought as well. Start out the year with:

Hall - Gagner - Eberle
Pajaarvi - Cullen - Yakupov
?? - Horcoff - Jones

And once Nuge comes back, slide Cullen into Horcoff's spot, or if Pajaarvi is struggling, put Cullen beside Gagner and Yakupov. It gives us forward depth and versatility that we haven't had in a long time.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:01 PM
DarkSaturn

Quote:
This actually might be the perfect summer to "find this years Peca". There may be a Peca type guy available from a low budget team. Remember that Peca was considered overpaid at the time, and the reason we got him for peanuts was because the Isles were cutting salary. This summer, some teams need to cut salary, so getting a guy for pieces might be an option. I'm not sure what those pieces may be though.
Don't think Minnesota would be willing to part with Koivu, pretty big cap hit as well. But I could see Chicago moving Boland.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:04 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Don't think Minnesota would be willing to part with Koivu, pretty big cap hit as well. But I could see Chicago moving Boland.
No way does Minny move Koivu. Chicago moving Bolland isn`t out of the question though. And he always brings it come playoff time.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:04 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Yes and no. Generally speaking you should be able to change your 4th line center every year and it shouldn't matter. For someone reason in Edmonton it's an issue. However if I'm signing a 36 year old in Cullen it's not for the 4th line, but as a vet to bridge the gap until we can find someone better. Not every move has to be long-term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Agreed, I'd sign him to be a 2/3C here and be rid of Horcoff altogether. Mainly as a 3C unless we deal Gagner, but a guy that can step into the top 6 if needed.
Quote:
I don't see why that's a negative. We sign him to an overpay at two years, and he'll consider it I'm sure. He may be 9 months younger than Smyth, but Smyth was slow even in his prime, Cullen was not. Smyth played a style that has caused his body to break down. Cullen did not. Cullen has always played smart hockey, those types of guys seem to last a few more years. He would be a good fix for now, and brings the veteran leadership that this team is lacking.
I'm not saying don't sign Cullen; I'm just saying I'd prefer a younger option who'll likely be here longer. In other words, just skip the bridge all together and sign the right guy. Furthermore, it doesn't make sense to sign Cullen without buying out Horcoff (I am a huge supporter of using a compliance buyout on him, so Bryanbryoil I agree). What I'm saying is that if I'm Cullen and only have a few years left, I'm not choosing the Oilers because they're not ready to win yet, he likely won't accept a 4th line center role, and the Oilers already have Horcoff as a 3rd line C. Since many of us believe Horcoff isn't getting bought out, what incentive is there for Cullen to sign here?

Old
05-13-2013, 01:10 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I'm not saying don't sign Cullen; I'm just saying I'd prefer a younger option who'll likely be here longer. In other words, just skip the bridge all together and sign the right guy. Furthermore, it doesn't make sense to sign Cullen without buying out Horcoff (I am a huge supporter of using a compliance buyout on him, so Bryanbryoil I agree). What I'm saying is that if I'm Cullen and only have a few years left, I'm not choosing the Oilers because they're not ready to win yet, he likely won't accept a 4th line center role, and the Oilers already have Horcoff as a 3rd line C. Since many of us believe Horcoff isn't getting bought out, what incentive is there for Cullen to sign here?
If only it was that easy.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:10 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Money. The biggest incentive there is, ha ha. He`s already won in his career, and if the Oil sell it right (need a guy like Cullen to move to the next level, blah blah blah), it could happen, although I agree that its more likely that he goes to a contender.

That said, it makes perfect sense for the Oilers. I don`t see why we can`t play Horcoff at 4th line center and have Cullen at 3rd line center. Cullen is better than Horcoff, and should be played 3rd line, 1st pk unit. Horcoff showed this year that he is still NHL caliber, but putting him out there on the 4th line, occasional shut down duty on a line with Cullen, and pk time is the best way to use him now. Bringing Cullen in would actually give us 4 quality NHL centers, something we`ve needed for years, as well as some added depth that we also desperately need, and a veteran who knows how to win. He may not want to come here, but he`s the perfect target.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:13 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Quote:
No way does Minny move Koivu. Chicago moving Bolland isn`t out of the question though. And he always brings it come playoff time.
Bolland would be ideal imo. I'd love to take advantage of Chicago's cap issues and get this guy. I'm sure it'd cost us though.