HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible role players for next season

Old
05-13-2013, 02:15 PM
The Big Unit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
Bolland would be ideal imo. I'd love to take advantage of Chicago's cap issues and get this guy. I'm sure it'd cost us though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
If only it was that easy.
There are going to be quite a few compliance buyouts this summer and next summer. With the cap going down next year, I think it might be easier than you think.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:19 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 369
Quote:
There are going to be quite a few compliance buyouts this summer and next summer. With the cap going down next year, I think it might be easier than you think.
So who do you want? I mean this is purely fantasy anyway. Who is the ideal long-term solution?

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:20 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Money. The biggest incentive there is, ha ha. He`s already won in his career, and if the Oil sell it right (need a guy like Cullen to move to the next level, blah blah blah), it could happen, although I agree that its more likely that he goes to a contender.

That said, it makes perfect sense for the Oilers. I don`t see why we can`t play Horcoff at 4th line center and have Cullen at 3rd line center. Cullen is better than Horcoff, and should be played 3rd line, 1st pk unit. Horcoff showed this year that he is still NHL caliber, but putting him out there on the 4th line, occasional shut down duty on a line with Cullen, and pk time is the best way to use him now. Bringing Cullen in would actually give us 4 quality NHL centers, something we`ve needed for years, as well as some added depth that we also desperately need, and a veteran who knows how to win. He may not want to come here, but he`s the perfect target.
Mostly because Horcoff is the captain of the Oilers and that's bad for optics and he won't accept that role. You're going to buy him out before you banish him to the 4th line. He's already accepted a demotion to the 3rd line, to demote him further is going to be insulting to him and you don't need more bitter players in the room. If you're signing a 2nd/3rd line C without getting rid of Gagner, then Horcoff needs to be bought out.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:21 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
So who do you want? I mean this is purely fantasy anyway. Who is the ideal long-term solution?
I quoted myself already. I'd want to take advantage of Chicago's cap issues and trade for Bolland.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:23 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I quoted myself already. I'd want to take advantage of Chicago's cap issues and trade for Bolland.
Their cap issues are overblown. Montador to LTIR and they are under the cap. Trade Oduya or Hjarlmmson and they are okay. Although with Bolland you are also talking about more than just a 2mil roll player.

The other thing if they do need to trade Bolland they'll get a high return. At 3.3mil a lot of teams can use him.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:34 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Their cap issues are overblown. Montador to LTIR and they are under the cap. Trade Oduya or Hjarlmmson and they are okay. Although with Bolland you are also talking about more than just a 2mil roll player.
I'd take either of them on D too lol. They're both upgrades. I know Bolland is more than a $2M role player and imo he's worth what he's getting paid.

According to capgeek, Chicago has just under $2.1M in cap space available and they need to sign a few guys. You're right that with some smart moves they can fit themselves under the cap and stay competitive but it's likely that somebody has to go. If we can find a way to get any of Oduya, Hjalmarsson or Bolland and that's great for us.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:37 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:

The other thing if they do need to trade Bolland they'll get a high return. At 3.3mil a lot of teams can use him.
I think that's something we can afford to do. We've got some good prospects and using up a draft pick isn't out of the question. To be honest though, I highly doubt Chicago trades him but if they do; I doubt they'll trade him here. He'd likely go east.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:42 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I think that's something we can afford to do. We've got some good prospects and using up a draft pick isn't out of the question. To be honest though, I highly doubt Chicago trades him but if they do; I doubt they'll trade him here. He'd likely go east.
The other issue is how much do you give for an impending UFA? Be nice to have him locked in for a couple more years before we start giving up 1st rounders and good prospects.

I'd make a call on Oduya and Hjarlmmson. They aren't ideal candidates, but fit into my theory of getting more top 4 d-men if we can't get top pairing guys.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:05 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
The other issue is how much do you give for an impending UFA? Be nice to have him locked in for a couple more years before we start giving up 1st rounders and good prospects.

I'd make a call on Oduya and Hjarlmmson. They aren't ideal candidates, but fit into my theory of getting more top 4 d-men if we can't get top pairing guys.
agreed! although I said draft pick I didn't specify what round but Chicago likely wants a 1st round pick. I might do it for the 2014 1st round pick in a sign and trade.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:19 PM
BowDangles

After hearing a couple of media guys talking at the Trade Deadline day. They said Edmonton was going after Max Talbot.

Expect him to be an Oiler come summer... Unless MacT was not a part in that conversation..

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:45 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
After hearing a couple of media guys talking at the Trade Deadline day. They said Edmonton was going after Max Talbot.

Expect him to be an Oiler come summer... Unless MacT was not a part in that conversation..
That was before the Trade deadline wasn't it? Then he broke his leg. Although I would've still acquired him. I still don't know why PHI would want to move him. Yes they have some salary issues, but 1.75mil isn't what they need to be looking at moving.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:47 PM
oakfield

Quote:
The guy isn't a 2nd liner in many, but given his 50+ point pace this year if it's all about the money I'm sure he can find himself some decent coin with a weaker team.
We ARE a weaker team.

oakfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:49 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakfield View Post
We ARE a weaker team.
I was more referring to a team like CGY or FLO who have really nothing for center. As bad as we are we at least have RNH and Gagner.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:40 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Am I the only one thinking Clutterbuck's going to be getting a massive payday?

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:47 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
It's not going to be pretty. Guy was barely a 3rd liner for the Wild this year. Only bright spot is his offense dipped this year. What would he go for if he was close to 20 goals this year?

Old
05-13-2013, 06:02 PM
DarkSaturn

vCash: 385
That's the asset everybody is chasing now... the chippy annoying player who has no problem taking a run at the opposing teams best player and whose best asset is an innate sense of exactly where the suspension line lies and staying just on side of it.

MacT is an old school refrigerator player kind of guy pushing for Lucic, but really the teams are looking for Marchand.

DarkSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 06:49 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
How about if we keep all former Oilers out of this discussion. They all moved on for one reason or another (not good enough, no compete level, disagreements with management). There isn't a single former Oiler that I can think of who is currently active that I want back on this roster.
Raffi, Stoll and Greene are all grown passed the reason why they were traded. I used to go to the same clubs as those 3, trust me when I say there are reasons why Raffi and Greene needed to be moved to different cities at the time. But, all 3 guys are older, smarter and I'm sure not as crazy as they used to be.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
massive as in 2.75M\yr or like 4M\yr ?
I dont think he'll realisticly be looking for something over 3M.

A UFA like Stalberg or Bickel will want something in that range too so it'll be an overpayment but not by much..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:53 PM
hendrix j
Rookie User

I really like nystrom. Like his father,he plays hard. Great on the cycle.if only he
Had dads hands

hendrix j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:58 PM
mic

Hendricks is a guy we need. Physical, fights, kills penalties and can take face-offs.

Gordon isn't physical enough to fit our needs (we already have Belanger).

Lapierre or Chipchura could be villains that can hold their own and take some face-offs.

mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:19 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Mostly because Horcoff is the captain of the Oilers and that's bad for optics and he won't accept that role. You're going to buy him out before you banish him to the 4th line. He's already accepted a demotion to the 3rd line, to demote him further is going to be insulting to him and you don't need more bitter players in the room. If you're signing a 2nd/3rd line C without getting rid of Gagner, then Horcoff needs to be bought out.
Baloney. It wouldn't be the first time a captain was a 4th liner, and it wouldn't be the last either. I think you're assuming that Horcoff would be whining, but there is no evidence to suggest it. He'd still be getting prime pk minutes as well, and probably some pp time, so its not like he would be only playing 5 minutes a game.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:21 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Raffi, Stoll and Greene are all grown passed the reason why they were traded. I used to go to the same clubs as those 3, trust me when I say there are reasons why Raffi and Greene needed to be moved to different cities at the time. But, all 3 guys are older, smarter and I'm sure not as crazy as they used to be.
I wouldn't care to risk it. Especially with Torres, the guy is a loose cannon on the ice, and one dumb play from a season long suspension. Shanahan doesn't forget.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:08 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
massive as in 2.75M\yr or like 4M\yr ?
I dont think he'll realisticly be looking for something over 3M.

A UFA like Stalberg or Bickel will want something in that range too so it'll be an overpayment but not by much..
I'm thinking ~3 with term

05-13-2013, 10:09 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix j View Post
I really like nystrom. Like his father,he plays hard. Great on the cycle.if only he
Had dads hands
I want no part of him due to him dumping Fedun

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:24 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
I want no part of him due to him dumping Fedun
That was him?

Anyway, am looking forward to seeing Fedun back at Oilers' training camp.

AlowlyOilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote