HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Polak

Old
05-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Megaforce

vCash: 500
Polak

Was most impressed with the Blues this playoffs.

Gotta admit tho that your defenceman Polak was catching my eye for all the wrong reasons.

Every time there was a screw-up I'd notice on the replay that he was a part of it.

And that includes the winning goal that went off his stick.

Was really hoping the Blues would win but perhaps you'd be better without this guy.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:41 PM
BlueDream

Yeah he started off good in the first 2 games and then was downright awful for the rest.

The thing is we need his physical presence on defense. He can be available if we find someone to replace that.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:38 AM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
I think it had more to do with Hitchcock's pairings than anything else to be honest. Paired with Russell, Polak seems like a much better player because he has a puck mover with him.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:53 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I think it had more to do with Hitchcock's pairings than anything else to be honest. Paired with Russell, Polak seems like a much better player because he has a puck mover with him.
this. him and Jax had transition game problems and that wasn't really a surprise

frostyflo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:43 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
this. him and Jax had transition game problems and that wasn't really a surprise
They did have a hard time getting the puck out of the zone. I think the also spent a fair amount of time with the Stewart/Vladi/McDonald line on the ice. And that creates all kind of problems in our zone.

As for the last goal, that isn't on him either. If he got more of the puck, it would have been a block. Just didn't get enough of if.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:52 AM
shifting

Polak got away from his game. He was too active in the offensive zone. He has no touch or hockey sense. He needs to stick to his strengths. Great skater, with size and the ability to play sound defensive hockey.

shifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:16 AM
erderuft

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
Polak got away from his game. He was too active in the offensive zone. He has no touch or hockey sense. He needs to stick to his strengths. Great skater, with size and the ability to play sound defensive hockey.
Agreed. I really like Roman as a player, I love that he tries, that he's a real grunt, strong as an ox. I generally love him on this team. As long as he doesn't step out of his role too much. He's useless as a shooter, too. Seems to always shoot it hard as hell, but always miss the net.

I don't know how much you could blame Roman for trying to do stuff offensively, though. Especially in this series against the Kings, since our forwards didn't do crap.

erderuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:50 PM
RR10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Was most impressed with the Blues this playoffs.

Gotta admit tho that your defenceman Polak was catching my eye for all the wrong reasons.

Every time there was a screw-up I'd notice on the replay that he was a part of it.

And that includes the winning goal that went off his stick.

Was really hoping the Blues would win but perhaps you'd be better without this guy.
I was never a fan of Polak. I remember watching the Chezch Rep. a few years ago and it seemed like everytime they let a goal in Polak was involved. Never liked him since. He brings toughness for sure but lacks smartness.

RR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR10 View Post
I was never a fan of Polak. I remember watching the Chezch Rep. a few years ago and it seemed like everytime they let a goal in Polak was involved. Never liked him since. He brings toughness for sure but lacks smartness.
He needs a good-skating puck moving defensive partner. Then, he'll be all right on the 3rd pairing. Russell will be better than Jackman for him.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I disagree to everything in this thread. Polak is a top 6 guy.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Rizzo90

When it comes to comparing how our D played in the playoffs compared to reg season, Pietrangelo to me was THE one that seemed to drink the retard juice. I saw a LOT of him standing around in his own end like he didn't at all have a clue as to what the hell he was doing. I went back & watched all the games a few times, even in our wins he looked panicked at least. NOT saying his entire TOI was bad, so don't go there. JUst looked like the pace & pressure flummoxed him. I was soooooo sick of seeing the "pass behind him to nowhere OR to a kings player" move just to avoid the pressure or the hit.

Rizzo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:25 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Yeah he started off good in the first 2 games and then was downright awful for the rest.

The thing is we need his physical presence on defense. He can be available if we find someone to replace that.
I see Hakanpaa as his eventual replacement when the Blues need to shed salary (you can't have both bottom pairing d-men making over $3M/yr), but there is no way in he!! you can put Hakanpaa and Jackman out there together. You need to pair him with a LD that can skate.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:43 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
I see Hakanpaa as his eventual replacement when the Blues need to shed salary (you can't have both bottom pairing d-men making over $3M/yr), but there is no way in he!! you can put Hakanpaa and Jackman out there together. You need to pair him with a LD that can skate.
I haven't seen Hakanpaa play but he's pretty huge at 6'5'' 220 and sounds like he can play physical so that's definitely a possibility.

Russell and Cole can both skate and could be paired with him. We never should have taken Jackman away from Shattenkirk.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:19 PM
underslept

I feel like far too many of these opinions have more to do with the Blues losing the series than they do with how Polak played.

The first two games of the series were certainly his best, but being paired with Jackman proved to be a bad pairing. I don't think Jackman turned in a good effort in any game of this series.

Polak had a few bad pinches (as did every defenseman on this team) and could have played better at times (as could've every defenseman), but aside from Bouwmeester, I don't think any other defenseman played better on this team during that series.

Polak would have played much better had he had a puck mover at his disposal or even if Jackman had played well. He's a reliable #4-6 physical defensive defenseman on a pretty cheap contract.

Maybe I'm missing something here that someone can shed some light on, but it just seems like nitpicking turned into overall dissatisfaction for no reason.

Edit: Admittedly, Polak is one of my favorite players, but I don't feel like I'm being biased here. I'm just not jumping on the bash bandwagon unless someone can give me a reason.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:24 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Wait. You think J-Bo and Polak were better than Pietrangelo?

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:33 PM
underslept

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Wait. You think J-Bo and Polak were better than Pietrangelo?
For what role they play and what is expected of them, yes.

Pietrangelo played as well as Polak did offensively and it's glaringly obvious Polak is not good offensively.

Last edited by underslept: 05-12-2013 at 11:39 PM.
underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:09 AM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

kinda wish we could just get rid of jackman and polak... if we're keeping leopold with shatty anyway... save us a ton of money and put russell and cole on third pair... and with mcdonald gone and possibly stewart... we could definitely pick up that big goal scorer we've been looking for...

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:23 AM
erderuft

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
kinda wish we could just get rid of jackman and polak... if we're keeping leopold with shatty anyway... save us a ton of money and put russell and cole on third pair... and with mcdonald gone and possibly stewart... we could definitely pick up that big goal scorer we've been looking for...
Both Jackman AND Polak? Replace with Russel and Cole? Watch out Blues goalies.

erderuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:31 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
Yeah this makes little sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I disagree to everything in this thread. Polak is a top 6 guy.
...And who said he wasn't?

Old
05-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
I haven't seen Hakanpaa play but he's pretty huge at 6'5'' 220 and sounds like he can play physical so that's definitely a possibility.

Russell and Cole can both skate and could be paired with him. We never should have taken Jackman away from Shattenkirk.
I agree 100% with this. Leopold was a complete nonfactor in his time here. I think we would have been much more formidable with Jax-Shat and Rus-Polak.

Cole deserves his shot as well, he is a great combo of size and skating ability.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:23 PM
River City Rumble
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
I agree 100% with this. Leopold was a complete nonfactor in his time here. I think we would have been much more formidable with Jax-Shat and Rus-Polak.

Cole deserves his shot as well, he is a great combo of size and skating ability.
i would have been completely fine with a leopold-polak pairing. i do not think hitchcock knew what to do with him and he just kind of festered on our pairings like an open sore.

River City Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:49 PM
The Hull You Say
Rookie User

Polak is taking an unfair beating on this thread. The guy is a good defenseman. As others have already stated, he had no business being paired with Jackman. He needs to be paired with a partner that can skate and move the puck. I thought he and Russell were a good combo, but I guess I missed something.

The Hull You Say is offline   Reply With Quote