HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Oil Kings Thread: 2012-2013 Part III

Old
05-13-2013, 09:39 AM
edmontonfan59

vCash: 500
Official Oil Kings Thread: 2012-2013 Part III

Tough loss but the boys had a Great season and provided us with some entertaining games. Best of luck to the guys who'll be moving on to life after Jr. Hockey. Lots of quality players returning next year so lets look forward to another good one then.

edmontonfan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

tbh I have a hard time watching this club. Seems like whenever i do I see a team with little to zero offence, that can't complete or receive a pass, and that spends the whole game chasing the puck with the odd occasional individual effort almost resulting in something.

Yesterday I was left thinking the Portland club would be wonderful to watch but the Oil Kings not so much. Presumably the Kings play better than this but not when I'm watching. In the Calgary series this year, Memorial cup last year, I didn't think much of this clubs overall play and transition.

Rattie is more entertaining alone than the entire Oil Kings club.

PS who stuffed Samuellson in a box. I recall him being better than this. Was invisible yesterday.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:07 PM
MoneyGuy

How can you be disappointed in a team that had a great season and made it to the league final? Granted, this series result is a disappointment, but they won their division title, got to the final and took it to six games despite losing two of their best players to injury. They have several stars (Lazar was a treat to watch). There have been so many positives this season. I think if they had Reiner and Cheek, the result would have been a little different - maybe not with us winning but it would have been closer.

The Portland Cheaterhawks were, flat out, a better team and are worthy champions. I hate them, however, and would love for Halifax to hammer them into submission.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
How can you be disappointed in a team that had a great season and made it to the league final? Granted, this series result is a disappointment, but they won their division title, got to the final and took it to six games despite losing two of their best players to injury. They have several stars (Lazar was a treat to watch). There have been so many positives this season. I think if they had Reiner and Cheek, the result would have been a little different - maybe not with us winning but it would have been closer.

The Portland Cheaterhawks were, flat out, a better team and are worthy champions. I hate them, however, and would love for Halifax to hammer them into submission.
Yesterday Lazar gave possibly the only reason to even faintly cheer the effort. I can't imagine how many walk ups that decided to go to the game yesterday gave second thoughts.

Watching this lacklustre effort and a club that couldn't complete a pass was painful. What forward for the Kings had a good game yesterday?

Getting scored on shorthanded twice in such a game is a gongshow.

I don't think anybody in Edmonton expected this Kings team to win the series and against good clubs they seem to have a lot of problems. I thought the Kings were ordinary against Calgary too. I guess to see them play well you have to watch them dominate lesser teams.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:31 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yesterday Lazar gave possibly the only reason to even faintly cheer the effort. I can't imagine how many walk ups that decided to go to the game yesterday gave second thoughts.

Watching this lacklustre effort and a club that couldn't complete a pass was painful. What forward for the Kings had a good game yesterday?

Getting scored on shorthanded twice in such a game is a gongshow.

I don't think anybody in Edmonton expected this Kings team to win the series and against good clubs they seem to have a lot of problems. I thought the Kings were ordinary against Calgary too. I guess to see them play well you have to watch them dominate lesser teams.
You're ignoring a season in which we were the second best team, and were two wins from going to the Mem Cup. I don't disagree with you on yesterday's game, but gee you're damn hard to please. All in all, this was a great season, barring the final result. If the Oilers did this, we'd be doing cartwheels.

I went to lots of games and bought the $99 playoff package, and they were some of the best deals ever.

Last edited by MoneyGuy: 05-13-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old
05-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
tbh I have a hard time watching this club. Seems like whenever i do I see a team with little to zero offence, that can't complete or receive a pass, and that spends the whole game chasing the puck with the odd occasional individual effort almost resulting in something.

Yesterday I was left thinking the Portland club would be wonderful to watch but the Oil Kings not so much. Presumably the Kings play better than this but not when I'm watching. In the Calgary series this year, Memorial cup last year, I didn't think much of this clubs overall play and transition.

Rattie is more entertaining alone than the entire Oil Kings club.

PS who stuffed Samuellson in a box. I recall him being better than this. Was invisible yesterday.
If you have a hard time watching, I suggest you don't watch then.

Tad Mikowsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:41 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Then what would he have to complain about. It's Replacement's great joy in life.

Props to the OKs for a good season - all in all. Didn't win the title, but otherwise it was a great year. I'll be buying again next season.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:47 PM
jdd4

Quote:
You're ignoring a season in which we were the second best team, and were two wins from going to the Mem Cup. I don't disagree with you on yesterday's game, but gee you're damn hard to please. All in all, this was a great season, barring the final result. If the Oilers did this, we'd be doing cartwheels.

I went to lots of games and bought the $99 playoff package, and they were some of the best deals ever.
I'm angry and disappointed at the outcome of this series. Anything less than a Memorial Cup berth is a disappointment for this team. That is where I personally, and I'm pretty sure the organization and many other fans, set the bar at. Setting the bar that high is testament to just how good this team is/was, and not just against poor competition.

At the end of the day Portland was just too much to handle. Their commitment to their defensive game was impeccable. Every time Edmonton would break in three wide, Portland was already ready to defend three across. With regards to the powerplay, I'm not sure if Edmonton's was poor or if Portland's PK was just that good. They kept everything to the outside, gave no shooting lanes for the point shots, and cleared rebounds and bodies around the net.

Looking at the roster, it looks not too bad for next year with the exception of the defense. I assume Legault and Corbett stay on as 20 year olds allowing us to add (hopefully) another Cheek type of player. NYI said they wouldn't rush Reinhart, so he may be back. Samuelsson has shown he's not NHL ready yet, so I'd expect him back. Wruck, Foster, St Croix, Ewanyk, Cheek, Lowe, Musil, Gernat and Brossoit will or probably be graduating either due to age or being AHL eligible. Jarry has shown that he's earned a shot at being a WHL starter.

It will be pretty interesting to see how Green fills those holes in the offseason and if the right players take that step forward to make us highly competitive again. Portland also has lots of '94s and '95s on their roster - best of three???

jdd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:26 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd4 View Post
I'm angry and disappointed at the outcome of this series. Anything less than a Memorial Cup berth is a disappointment for this team. That is where I personally, and I'm pretty sure the organization and many other fans, set the bar at. Setting the bar that high is testament to just how good this team is/was, and not just against poor competition.

At the end of the day Portland was just too much to handle. Their commitment to their defensive game was impeccable. Every time Edmonton would break in three wide, Portland was already ready to defend three across. With regards to the powerplay, I'm not sure if Edmonton's was poor or if Portland's PK was just that good. They kept everything to the outside, gave no shooting lanes for the point shots, and cleared rebounds and bodies around the net.

Looking at the roster, it looks not too bad for next year with the exception of the defense. I assume Legault and Corbett stay on as 20 year olds allowing us to add (hopefully) another Cheek type of player. NYI said they wouldn't rush Reinhart, so he may be back. Samuelsson has shown he's not NHL ready yet, so I'd expect him back. Wruck, Foster, St Croix, Ewanyk, Cheek, Lowe, Musil, Gernat and Brossoit will or probably be graduating either due to age or being AHL eligible. Jarry has shown that he's earned a shot at being a WHL starter.

It will be pretty interesting to see how Green fills those holes in the offseason and if the right players take that step forward to make us highly competitive again. Portland also has lots of '94s and '95s on their roster - best of three???
All true but we came up short against a very, very good team that has to be a strong Mem Cup contender. Little to apologize for there.

Old
05-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:

I really can't get over the fact that they cheated. I genuinely hope they nosedive to the bottom of the standings after Jones, Rattie and their other stars leave. Forfeiting Draft picks seems to light of a punishment, but I hope it hurts them hard for a long time.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Looks like Mark Scheifele is out for Barrie tonight. He got hit late in the 3rd period in Game 6 and didn't play much afterwards. Huge, huge loss. The Colts were in complete control up 3-1 in the series but now the Knights have all the momentum going into Game 7.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Then what would he have to complain about. It's Replacement's great joy in life.

Props to the OKs for a good season - all in all. Didn't win the title, but otherwise it was a great year. I'll be buying again next season.
Displaced and controlled venting is under rated. I ***** and moan occasionally on the internet about entirely unimportant things. My worst vice.

Oil Kings were awful yesterday and so caught my rant.

Old
05-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I usually don't but catch most of the playoff action just because its on.

Old
05-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
I really can't get over the fact that they cheated. I genuinely hope they nosedive to the bottom of the standings after Jones, Rattie and their other stars leave. Forfeiting Draft picks seems to light of a punishment, but I hope it hurts them hard for a long time.
Oh no. How do you think they get their players? Draft picks. Just like building a farm. Maybe even more crippling.

It's like removing the amount of scholarships in NCAA football. Think of the Death Penalty with SMU.

I don't know if it'll be just as bad as that. But I've heard about how every single Winterhawk player ends up with new 2013 cars.

Old
05-13-2013, 07:57 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
Oh no. How do you think they get their players? Draft picks. Just like building a farm. Maybe even more crippling.

It's like removing the amount of scholarships in NCAA football. Think of the Death Penalty with SMU.

I don't know if it'll be just as bad as that. But I've heard about how every single Winterhawk player ends up with new 2013 cars.
Did they draft Jones?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:33 AM
monkeywrench

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Did they draft Jones?
Nope the Silvertips did

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 02:37 PM
MoneyGuy

Roughly what would be the value of the Edmonton Oil Kings?

Old
05-20-2013, 03:35 PM
pizmo

Quote:

You couldn't afford it unless you had some of Harper's staff cut you a cheque.

pizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 04:30 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
Much more than the Oilers.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 04:55 PM
40oz

Quote:
I'd try and find what the price of the Chilliwack Bruins was and then go up from there.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:17 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
You couldn't afford it unless you had some of Harper's staff cut you a cheque.
Or you could, you rich old man. 😘

Old
05-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Weird Memorial Cup so far. The Mooseheads took the boots to the Winterhawks (like I expected them to) but then turned around and lost 5-2 to the Blades last night. Bizarre.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Weird Memorial Cup so far. The Mooseheads took the boots to the Winterhawks (like I expected them to) but then turned around and lost 5-2 to the Blades last night. Bizarre.
One team had to play back to back games.

One team had 150+ days off.

Not that shocking IMO.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Joe Hallenback

Calling the Winterhawks cheaters is pretty harsh when you are the Oil Kings. Kettle meet pot. Both are big city teams with money and connections using it to their advantage

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Auguste Escoffier

What penalties have the Oil Kings faced?

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote