HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Major AHL Shakeup? Abbotsford to NY, Peoria to Abbotsford, STL affiliates w/ Chicago?

Old
05-03-2013, 08:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post
If the Canucks do move their AHL team to Vancouver then that might be the catalyst that brings about a Mountain/Pacific division in the AHL.
Shouldn't that have happened with Abbotsford? I know it was Calgary's farm team, which didn't make much sense, but it's already quite close to Vancouver.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:11 PM
GJB

vCash: 500
This story sure has gone quiet.... any news??

GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 01:41 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
This story sure has gone quiet.... any news??
Other than where Vancouver's AHL franchise will play (or if it will), it's all settled:

Houston to Des Moines (Iowa Wild). St Louis affiliates with AHL Chicago.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:02 PM
Rocko604

At his post-season press conference, Mike Gillis stated that the Canucks could not get enough people onside to have the AHL team play in Vancouver. Who those people are is not known. Could be at the AHL level, or perhaps people from the other two arenas in Vancouver big enough to hold them (UBC and the Pacific Coliseum).

FWIW, Ron Toigo, owner of the WHL Vancouver Giants, was able to block the National Lacrosse League from going into the Coliseum, wouldn't be surprised if he's able to do it to the AHL too.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:04 AM
YouppiKiYay

It appears the Canucks will not operate the team in Peoria next season, and might not operate the team at all next season. Indicates to me they will have the team in Abbotsford for 2014/15. Still, it seems like a wasted year for prospect development to me. Unless perhaps they plan to do more widely what they did with Niklas Jensen last season and have top prospects play in leagues like the Swedish Elite League.

http://www.pjstar.com/news/x81143787...team-in-Peoria

Quote:
AHL and NHL sources say it is most likely the Canucks will declare their farm team dormant for the 2013-14 season. In that scenario, they would loan their prospects to other teams in the AHL.

Last edited by YouppiKiYay: 05-13-2013 at 11:11 AM.
YouppiKiYay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Adirondack Flames

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thospratt View Post
It appears the Canucks will not operate the team in Peoria next season, and might not operate the team at all next season. Indicates to me they will have the team in Abbotsford for 2014/15. Still, it seems like a wasted year for prospect development to me. Unless perhaps they plan to do more widely what they did with Niklas Jensen last season and have top prospects play in leagues like the Swedish Elite League.

seems like contradicting reports at the moment.

https://twitter.com/News1130Sports/s...88649270136832
Quote:
#AHL source tells me this morning "Something is in the making, the #Canucks will have an affiliate next year".
the same station less than 2 hours before

https://twitter.com/News1130Sports/s...61684257492992
Quote:
#Canucks will just loan their prospects to other AHL teams - Abbotsford Heat 1 of the teams.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:31 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

In the past when NHL teams do not have an (active) AHL affiliate, they may loan players to other AHL teams, as well as sometimes stock their ECHL affiliate team with more/better prospects than they might otherwise.

I'm specifically thinking of a year or two when Edmonton did not have an AHL affiliate, but put some of their key prospects, including goalie Dubnyk, with their ECHL affiliate, Stockton Thunder.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:19 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 695
At least according to Peoria media, the Rivermen are coming back.... albeit in the SPHL, a low-tier barely Single A league.

It corroborates the reports that the Nucks' AHL franchise will be dormant for a year, though.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:27 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
At least according to Peoria media, the Rivermen are coming back.... albeit in the SPHL, a low-tier barely Single A league.

It corroborates the reports that the Nucks' AHL franchise will be dormant for a year, though.
That's a little surprising. The SPHL's footprint is squarely in the Southeast with teams in FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, and TN. A franchise in Illinois would represent a big geographic jump for them and increased travel costs for its franchises.

05-13-2013, 02:29 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
That's a little surprising. The SPHL's footprint is squarely in the Southeast with teams in FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, and TN. A franchise in Illinois would represent a big geographic jump for them and increased travel costs for its franchises.
Two franchises in Illinois, actually. CHL's Bloomington Blaze is apparently slated to leap down to the SPHL, too.

But I do agree. Surprising for sure, but could potentially be a big coup for the SPHL if Peoria stays for the long haul rather than jumping on the first opportunity to join the ECHL or another higher league.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:00 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Dave Eminian‏@icetimecleve2h
Bloomington Blaze will leave CHL and join Peoria in SPHL next season. There could be more midwest teams in the mix

Eminian is a great writer so there probably are more Midwest teams being added.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 03:14 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Dave Eminian‏@icetimecleve2h
Bloomington Blaze will leave CHL and join Peoria in SPHL next season. There could be more midwest teams in the mix

Eminian is a great writer so there probably are more Midwest teams being added.
If true, then that clearly shines the spotlight on the Quad City Mallards. They've always drawn at least somewhat decently, though lower overhead would probably do them a world of good.

Danville Dashers of the FHL are a possibility too, I suppose.... though that'd be a team jumping up rather than jumping down.

Old
05-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Frank Booth

Quote:
Eminian is a great writer
That would be correct if you replace "writer" with "eater" or "great" with "delusional". But to call that slob a great writer is hilarious. The only good thing about Peoria being out of the AHL is that perhaps this person will soon be unemployed. I wouldn't believe a word he says, because this is a guy who invented a BOG meeting in his mind which never happened in 2006.

Frank Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
Looks like the Canucks have been given a 30 day extension - June 12 to find a new home for their farm team.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...506/story.html

Otherwise, they'll need to pay a $150,000 fee to put the team in dormancy for 2013/14

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:16 AM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Looks like the Canucks have been given a 30 day extension - June 12 to find a new home for their farm team.

Otherwise, they'll need to pay a $150,000 fee to put the team in dormancy for 2013/14
Hmmm... still wanting to chance Key Arena IF Seattle doesn't get NBA back? Maybe.

Fresno?

I have an option the Portland Winterhawks considered at one point, with a minimum 5,000 seats, understanding that the Canucks would probably have to foot most of the bill for installing ice in this facility, and they'd have to reconcile the floor surface with seating (not impossible), so, in Salem, Oregon...

http://www.oregonstateexpo.org/plan_...n/the_pavilion

PCSPounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:16 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post

I guess then they expect Jobing.com Arena to be officially available in a month.

05-15-2013, 06:03 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
Hmmm... still wanting to chance Key Arena IF Seattle doesn't get NBA back? Maybe.
Why would an NBA team playing at Key Arena prevent an AHL team from playing there?

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 07:32 AM
tank44

Quote:
Why would an NBA team playing at Key Arena prevent an AHL team from playing there?
IF NBA comes to Seattle it also may be more likely that NHL "could" come to Seattle (via Coyotes).

I am guessing Canucks are waiting on the Coyotes situation to play out. Phoenix either at Jobing arena in Glendale or US Airways center in downtown Phoenix are options.

tank44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
In the past when NHL teams do not have an (active) AHL affiliate, they may loan players to other AHL teams, as well as sometimes stock their ECHL affiliate team with more/better prospects than they might otherwise.

I'm specifically thinking of a year or two when Edmonton did not have an AHL affiliate, but put some of their key prospects, including goalie Dubnyk, with their ECHL affiliate, Stockton Thunder.
ECHL has a salary cap so many of the players would not fit under the cap if they are on a 2 way instead of a 3 way deal. Also, players on a 2 way can refuse assignment to the ECHL and I think become free agents.

Also, spreading the prospects out is difficult as the NHL/AHL teams would need to accept them. When Edmonton was without, before OKC and after Hamilton, they had their prospects on something like 5 or 6 different teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post

Fresno?

I have an option the Portland Winterhawks considered at one point, with a minimum 5,000 seats, understanding that the Canucks would probably have to foot most of the bill for installing ice in this facility, and they'd have to reconcile the floor surface with seating (not impossible), so, in Salem, Oregon...

http://www.oregonstateexpo.org/plan_...n/the_pavilion
Doesn't Fresno have a team already? Also, there are not many places with an AHL ready arena. Houston is out, Utica arena is not really ready, Omaha, maybe.

Then you get into the whole thing of who wants a team for only a year?

And the Nucks and Abbotsford couldn't work a buyout of the Flames since the they wanted each other to pay any buyout. If I was the Flames, I would not take any buyout since it is unlikely the Flames will be able to find another sweetheart deal covering all their losses.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 03:03 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Doesn't Fresno have a team already? Also, there are not many places with an AHL ready arena. Houston is out, Utica arena is not really ready, Omaha, maybe.

Then you get into the whole thing of who wants a team for only a year?

And the Nucks and Abbotsford couldn't work a buyout of the Flames since the they wanted each other to pay any buyout. If I was the Flames, I would not take any buyout since it is unlikely the Flames will be able to find another sweetheart deal covering all their losses.
Fresno used to have an ECHL team, bad owners, ran themselves into the ground in 15,000-seat Save Mart Center, got 7,600-seat Selland Arena renovated, then didn't last three months. An NAHL team is on the verge of bailing because of lack of good travel options... selling junior hockey tickets while having Alaska flights is far worse than having AHL and flying everywhere. Theoretically, anyway.

PCSPounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 03:05 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
ECHL has a salary cap so many of the players would not fit under the cap if they are on a 2 way instead of a 3 way deal. Also, players on a 2 way can refuse assignment to the ECHL and I think become free agents.
ECHL "max" salary is used for team cap calculations for assigned/loaned players who earn more on a 2-way (or 1-way) deal. So ECHL cap is not as big an issue as you think. (There is no such thing as a "3-way" contract. It's either NHL salary $$, or if a two-way deal, minor league salary $$ if playing in AHL or ECHL.) I recall a NHL experienced goalie playing out his contract in the ECHL and this was discussed.

Secondly, ELS players cannot refuse assignment, even if they have a one-way deal. Only players on post-ELS contract can refuse assignment to ECHL (regardless if on a one-way or two-way deal).

(The NHL does not officially recognize the CHL -- pro league -- for assignments as it is not specified in the CBA, unless language has been changed in the 2013 documentation and MOU did not address. The CHL affiliations are really only used for call ups to AHL, if required.)

Old
05-15-2013, 03:50 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
(There is no such thing as a "3-way" contract. It's either NHL salary $$, or if a two-way deal, minor league salary $$ if playing in AHL or ECHL.)
A "two-way" deal can specify different salaries for the AHL and ECHL.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:37 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Wait, am I reading this right?

Quote:
HUNTERSVILLE, NC – The Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) today announced its Board of Governors has unanimously approved the Bloomington Blaze and Peoria Rivermen to join the league for the 2013-2014 season.

The teams will be owned and operated by Illinois Pro Sports, LLC, whose members have extensive experience at all levels of professional hockey.
http://www.thesphl.com/view/thesphl/news/news_72402

The new Rivermen and the Blaze are going to be owned by the same group?

Old
05-16-2013, 01:07 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

at that level it's probably not so weird

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:29 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Barry Soskin owns both the Danville Dashers and Dayton Devils of the FHL.

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote