HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Muller Effect

Old
09-27-2006, 10:19 AM
turnbuckle*

vCash: 500
The Muller Effect

Based on the highlights I've seen the past two games, it appears that Kirk Muller is starting to exhibit some influence with the Hab forwards.

Do other people agree that the Habs have been driving to the net with a lot more ferocity in the past two matches? Kosty and Perezhogin, Ribs and Kovy...even Saku.

Who used to be notorious for his courageous play and intense drive, willing to plow through the goal posts to get a scoring chance? Mr. Muller.

I don't think it's a coincidence, and I really hope he can inspire the young guns and old ones alike to exhibit more hunger for scoring chances. Dekes and pretty passes are nice and all, but many, many goals are scored as a result of hard work and drive. There is no lack of skill up front with the Habs - add a little more grit/drive and this group could be pretty dangerous.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:20 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I would have to agree.
MULLER RULES!

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:20 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

lol... Only in Montréal....

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:22 AM
ti-vite

It's pre-season!!!!

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:26 AM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
It's pre-season!!!!

Preseason is the time when coaches have the most opportunity to teach and influence their players...so I have no idea what your point is. Yeah it's preseason, and some players are driving harder to the net harder than I've ever seen them do it, particularly Kostitisyn. You expect them to stop doing it once the real games start?

Old
09-27-2006, 10:28 AM
ti-vite

I think your over analysing a 2 game sequence of pre-season hockey which will naturally get more and more intense up to the regular season,as well as battles for roster spots intensify.

I don't doubt Mullers coaching, just think its an over analysis.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
Based on the highlights I've seen the past two games, it appears that Kirk Muller is starting to exhibit some influence with the Hab forwards.

Do other people agree that the Habs have been driving to the net with a lot more ferocity in the past two matches? Kosty and Perezhogin, Ribs and Kovy...even Saku.

Who used to be notorious for his courageous play and intense drive, willing to plow through the goal posts to get a scoring chance? Mr. Muller.

I don't think it's a coincidence, and I really hope he can inspire the young guns and old ones alike to exhibit more hunger for scoring chances. Dekes and pretty passes are nice and all, but many, many goals are scored as a result of hard work and drive. There is no lack of skill up front with the Habs - add a little more grit/drive and this group could be pretty dangerous.

I tend to agree. Muller was that kind of player (hard-nosed, drive to the net and work, work, work) and it's only normal that he values and promotes that type of play as a coach. So, only normal that the young players reflect that coaching. If that is what we're seeing with the young'uns, that's great news.

As for this comment :
Quote:
lol... Only in Montréal....
, what do you mean?
I don't get it.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:39 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
It's pre-season!!!!
Et voila.... most of the guys here don't think with their head at all, they'r so subjective it's insane.

Old
09-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
Et voila.... most of the guys here don't think with their head at all, they'r so subjective it's insane.
So basically, you're saying the coach has no impact on the players and how they play? Or that it's too early to tell what that impact is?

Old
09-27-2006, 10:48 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
so 2 victory after loosing 4 straight in the preseason mean that the assistant coach is god? ( i love kirk too ..but comon)

another victory and is the cup..

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 11:45 AM
MontrealHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
so 2 victory after loosing 4 straight in the preseason mean that the assistant coach is god? ( i love kirk too ..but comon)

Carbo is God, Muller is God, Latendresse is God, Koivu is God, damnnn this is a Gods's team !!

MontrealHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Strazzobosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
You sound as if you are doubting it....

Strazzobosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 12:10 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
So basically, you're saying the coach has no impact on the players and how they play? Or that it's too early to tell what that impact is?
Too early.

Old
09-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Too early.
I understand what you mean, and you may be right, but I'm not so sure. Enthusiasm can rub off on others pretty quickly, especially on younger players.

Old
09-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabs View Post
Carbo is God, Muller is God, Latendresse is God, Koivu is God, damnnn this is a Gods's team !!
You didn't already know that the Montreal Canadiens are God's team???

Who did you think God roots for......the Leafs!?!?!

09-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
It's pre-season!!!!
You mean you don't have your spot reserved for the parade?

Dude, we won 2 games in a row...Cup no.25 is unquestionably ours!

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 05:23 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Too early.

Whatever you say.

I loook back on my own hockey cexperiences - I don't know about you, but it didn't take me a month to start playing the way my coaches told me they wanted me to play - I figured out pretty quickly that if I wanted power play time and a regular shift, I( best try to do what my coaches tell me to do.

What's your explanation for why Kostitsyn suddenly seems to get it....osmosis....coincidence...sheer luck?

Old
09-27-2006, 05:36 PM
tritone

Kirk is work.

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 05:46 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Whatever you say.

I loook back on my own hockey cexperiences - I don't know about you, but it didn't take me a month to start playing the way my coaches told me they wanted me to play - I figured out pretty quickly that if I wanted power play time and a regular shift, I( best try to do what my coaches tell me to do.

What's your explanation for why Kostitsyn suddenly seems to get it....osmosis....coincidence...sheer luck?

may be because he wants to stay with the big club ? may be because he wants to make big cash ? May be because he wants to prove to himself and to the others , that he 's able to do it ?

no ! it 's because Muller was an hard nose player and Kosty suddenly had a flash ; what a great idea it would be , to play as my coach assistant was playing .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post

may be because he wants to stay with the big club ? may be because he wants to make big cash ? May be because he wants to prove to himself and to the others , that he 's able to do it ?

no ! it 's because Muller was an hard nose player and Kosty suddenly had a flash ; what a great idea it would be , to play as my coach assistant was playing .
Actually, I think turnbuckle is on to something. I'm sure that he wanted to make the Habs last year and the year before that, but I also find it plausible that Muller told him (and other players, especially the rookies) to crash the net if he wants to improve his chances this year. If anything, Kostitsyn is such a talented guy that he's never had to play that way to produce.

Anyway, it's early to tell, but the Habs could definitely use some of that Muller philosophy of crashing the net. Most goals are still scored that way, and for a team that's had trouble scoring goals, that kind of coaching emphasis can't hurt.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:23 PM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:

Lol... yeah, right.

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Astaroth

Quote:

If only life was so simple as that. Like someone said, it's the pre season, we'll see how it goes when it starts to hurt and the going get tough.

And Perez was driving to the net and playing hard since last playoffs, and I wonder how Saku almost had his career ended, I think he was somewhere in the vicinity of the net also. I'll give you Ribs, I suppose but he was never afraid of going to the net, just too weak to do so effectively. Kosts... we never really have had a sample of how he really plays so eh.

I don't how good of coach Muller is, except that Queens was terrible during his tenure (then again, their talent pool isn't that great) but you don't just grab your coach's former attributes as a player magically.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
You didn't already know that the Montreal Canadiens are God's team???

Who did you think God roots for......the Leafs!?!?!
Why would Koivu root for the leafs?

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 09:37 PM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
The Muller Effect? Is that where everyone grows a mullet?

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 09:51 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
If only life was so simple as that. Like someone said, it's the pre season, we'll see how it goes when it starts to hurt and the going get tough.

And Perez was driving to the net and playing hard since last playoffs, and I wonder how Saku almost had his career ended, I think he was somewhere in the vicinity of the net also. I'll give you Ribs, I suppose but he was never afraid of going to the net, just too weak to do so effectively. Kosts... we never really have had a sample of how he really plays so eh.

I don't how good of coach Muller is, except that Queens was terrible during his tenure (then again, their talent pool isn't that great) but you don't just grab your coach's former attributes as a player magically.

Life is that simple pal; it can be made complicated by overthinking tho. Ask any NHL coach and he'll tell you that the best time for coaching is training camp - you just don't get a lot of opportunities during the season, and it's without a doubt the best time to get things through the heads of young players.

You recall Claude Julien being a great net crasher in his playing days? Or Rick Green? Captain Kirk was one of the best in Habs history - of course he's going to coach his young players to crash the net, just as I'm sure Carbo did with Perezhogin late last season when he took over from Julien.

I and many here have seen Kostitsyn play 20-30 games over the past two seasons, and I don't recall seeing him crash the net like he has in the past two games - but no - there's no way Muller could have anything to do with that because in one short season in Kingston he failed to turn around a mediocre university hockey program. Obviously he's a mute incompetent because he doesn't have a proven NHL coaching record

Even Scotty Bowman was a rookie NHLcoach at one point.