HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: Source: Maloofs make backup plan with Hansen, relocation fee at 116$ million

Old
05-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Stonewall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
I'm actually starting to think that might be a good idea to solve the current conflict when it comes to the Kings (and the way it's going it's starting to look like a lose-lose-lose for everyone in the form of a long legal battle):

If Hanson will quit his madness in Sacramento; the NBA will put in place a two team expansion process for the 2015-2016 season.

I think that might calm things down.
Announce expansion team(s) and put the shovel in the ground and I'm good.

Stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:21 PM
GordonGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
Quit his madness? If someone in QC had purchased a team pending league approval, the league then kept delaying and hand holding and delaying to try and stop that sale from going thru to Quebec, and your guy PKP made a strong play by upping his offer and putting forth a big relo fee would you call that madness still?
Yes i would, it is madness to pull a team from a city when theres people willing to pay to have the team stay and a committment from the city to get a new building, and then leak info to the press that you are willing to grease up all the other owners 4M to get your way makes you look desperate

Leave the Kings alone and go for an expansion team

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:25 PM
ramstoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
I'm actually starting to think that might be a good idea to solve the current conflict when it comes to the Kings (and the way it's going it's starting to look like a lose-lose-lose for everyone in the form of a long legal battle):

If Hanson will quit his madness in Sacramento; the NBA will put in place a two team expansion process for the 2015-2016 season.

I think that might calm things down.
That's always been the best solution. Even though there have been rumblings of that being a possibility when the new TV contracts are negotiated, there has been no official word form the NBA.

ramstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:26 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Yes i would, it is madness to pull a team from a city when theres people willing to pay to have the team stay and a committment from the city to get a new building, and then leak info to the press that you are willing to grease up all the other owners 4M to get your way makes you look desperate

its maloofs right to sell to who ever they want. Its not NBA's right to intentionally interfere with a legal business transaction. They can vote yes or no on it but they can not interfere with it to where the other side automatically wins.

gstommylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:27 PM
maruk14

Quote:

One mans "desperate" is another mans "commitment" I guess. I see the guy doing everything in his power to bring the Sonics back to Seattle.

So - was the Sac group saying they won't take from rev share "desperate" (they took $18MM last year) and an attempt to grease up the other owners before the original relo recommendation too?

maruk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:27 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramstoria View Post
That's always been the best solution. Even though there have been rumblings of that being a possibility when the new TV contracts are negotiated, there has been no official word form the NBA.
It sure has - makes way too much sense all around - so clearly the NBA won't do it.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Stonewall

The thing is that the NBA has so far been almost completely against expansion.

I say almost because the Heat owner said they would only look into it when the current TV deal expires. But which group should have to wait 3 years for an expansion team? The Seattle group, which has everything lined up (money, arena plans, etc.) or the Sacramento group which doesn't?

Stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:31 PM
gstommylee

Looks like according to of brian robinson of SR hansen's lawyer is speaking wednesday. Apparently burski might have gotten the date wrong so we'll see what goes on Wednesday.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:40 PM
nwpensfan

I heard reports on KJR today that NBA is going to begin negotiations on new TV deal after playoffs this year (July). That is one year earlier than negotiations would normally begin for TV contract that expires after 2015-16 season. May mean nothing but then again....

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:42 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
I heard reports on KJR today that NBA is going to begin negotiations on new TV deal after playoffs this year (July). That is one year earlier than negotiations would nirmally begin for TV contract that expires after 2015-16 season. May mean nothing but then again....
Only if NBA guarantees Seattle expansion then it'll matter.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:43 PM
GordonGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
its maloofs right to sell to who ever they want. Its not NBA's right to intentionally interfere with a legal business transaction. They can vote yes or no on it but they can not interfere with it to where the other side automatically wins.
Sure i agree they can sell to whoever they want but they are selling the sacramento kings and thats not a movable asset Hansen is free to buy the team but they have to stay in sacramento.

Look the st louis blue were sold for 140M last year anyone could have offered 250M and then move the team to hamilton, toronto, quebec city or insert city name why no one did it cause the league would never allow it when theres local ownership interessed even if that meant less money for the owners they knew the rules when they joined the league and thats how it is

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:45 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
its maloofs right to sell to who ever they want.
No it's not. Any sale is subject to approval by the league. It's in the league bylaws and franchise agreement that the Maloofs agreed to when they originally purchased the team.

Quote:
Its not NBA's right to intentionally interfere with a legal business transaction.
Depends. If the league is operating within their charter/bylaws then they do have that right.

Quote:
They can vote yes or no on it but they can not interfere with it to where the other side automatically wins.
Undetermined. Depends on the specific details and whether the NBA violated its good faith obligations to the Maloofs in doing so. There is no general prohibition on meddling by the league, it comes down to the details.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:46 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Only if NBA guarantees Seattle expansion then it'll matter.
I realize that. Just curious timing to move negotiations ahead one year. Probably a coincidence but still interesting.

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gstommylee

Quote:
Sure i agree they can sell to whoever they want but they are selling the sacramento kings and thats not a movable asset Hansen is free to buy the team but they have to stay in sacramento.

Look the st louis blue were sold for 140M last year anyone could have offered 250M and then move the team to hamilton, toronto, quebec city or insert city name why no one did it cause the league would never allow it when theres local ownership interessed even if that meant less money for the owners they knew the rules when they joined the league and thats how it is
Thanks to Al davis vs NFL Hansen doesn't need NBA approval to move the team if hes approved owner of the Kings. The team is coming to seattle if NBA approves sale.

But actually having hansen approved and relocating a team wasn't really a point of the post.

Old
maruk14

Quote:
There is nothing legally keeping that team in Sacramento. No lease on a building (like there was in Seattle), etc. So they actually are an asset that can be moved, which is why the sale price is so high. And every NBA owner wants that because all of their franchises are going up in value based on the Hansen offer.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:55 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
No it's not. Any sale is subject to approval by the league. It's in the league bylaws and franchise agreement that the Maloofs agreed to when they originally purchased the team.

Depends. If the league is operating within their charter/bylaws then they do have that right.

Undetermined. Depends on the specific details and whether the NBA violated its good faith obligations to the Maloofs in doing so.
If the NBA is intentionally working behind the scenes, while there is a legal binding agreement (kings to hansen at 625m) to, where they fix the process to where the team stay with a local group at a much lower price no matter what hansen does.

HBN and maloofs would have to prove that the NBA is interfering with the PSA though and they may not.

And its been posted in this threat of earlier cases that could related in a possible lawsuit against the NBA here.

On the other hand they may not need to prove it just getting it past the initial motion to dismiss might be enough to get NBA to settled.

Ultimately i have a really hard time seeing this not involve the courts.

Last edited by gstommylee: 05-13-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old
05-13-2013, 05:06 PM
ramstoria

Quote:
I heard reports on KJR today that NBA is going to begin negotiations on new TV deal after playoffs this year (July). That is one year earlier than negotiations would normally begin for TV contract that expires after 2015-16 season. May mean nothing but then again....
Yeah. I saw that too. It might mean nothing, but who knows. This could be the first step towards a backroom expansion deal.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:10 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
If the NBA is intentionally working behind the scenes, while there is a legal binding agreement (kings to hansen at 625m) to, where they fix the process to where the team stay with a local group at a much lower price no matter what hansen does.

HBN and maloofs would have to prove that the NBA is interfering with the PSA though and they may not.

And its been posted in this threat of earlier cases that could related in a possible lawsuit against the NBA here.

On the other hand they may not need to prove it just getting it past the initial motion to dismiss might be enough to get NBA to settled.
There's a lot of "if's" and "could's" in there. The league has the right to deny a sale to Hansen because they would prefer the team not be relocated. The league has to be careful and non-arbitrary in how they do so, but they absolutely can deny a sale on that basis.

Hansen is not in a good position to sue as the league has no obligation to him. It would have to be the Maloofs filing suit that the league is breaching their obligation of acting in good faith in denying the sale. Any suit is going to take years to work through the court systems. If they really want to pursue a suit the best strategy would likely be for the Maloofs to sell to the local ownership group then sue the NBA for the delta in purchase price.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:13 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
There's a lot of "if's" and "could's" in there. The league has the right to deny a sale to Hansen because they would prefer the team not be relocated. The league has to be careful and non-arbitrary in how they do so, but they absolutely can deny a sale on that basis.

Hansen is not in a good position to sue as the league has no obligation to him. It would have to be the Maloofs filing suit that the league is breaching their obligation of acting in good faith in denying the sale. Any suit is going to take years to work through the court systems. If they really want to pursue a suit the best strategy would likely be for the Maloofs to sell to the local ownership group then sue the NBA for the delta in purchase price.
We'll see what happens. But what has HBN to lose if they file anti-trust lawsuit against NBA if they aren't getting the kings and no expansion happens.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:15 PM
ramstoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by @WindhorstESPN
Brian Windhorst
@WindhorstESPN

NBA relocation committee met today on future of Kings. Their recommendation to owners for vote next week remains to leave team in Sacramento

5/13/13, 2:44 PM
I assume he meant this week.

edit: Also, why is this not just in the stickied thread? Too confusing having the same people talking about the same topic in two threads. I realize that the sticky is for the Arena deal and this is about the plan middle finger (eye roll), but they are essentially one in the same; the talking points being used in both threads are just being rehashed and it's virtually all the same posters.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:17 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
That's good news for adding tv markets

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:17 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramstoria View Post
I assume he meant this week.
He did mean this week. Nothing changes so it doesn't get pushed back a week.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Shaz

I didn't expect the Relocation Committee to change their stance so this news isn't unexpected

Shaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:19 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Let the games begin

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:19 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
I didn't expect the Relocation Committee to change their stance so this news isn't unexpected
neither did i.